[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /g/, what's the best Linux distro and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 427411.png (52 KB, 1980x1080) Image search: [Google]
427411.png
52 KB, 1980x1080
Hello /g/, what's the best Linux distro and why?
>>
>>52055619
You're going to start something dangerous, OP.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
arch loonix is teh bset disrto!!!!1 especialy if ur a haker
>>
Any variant of Ubuntu without Unity, Arch, and Debian, maybe Fedora. Gentoo is a meme and for madmen.
>>
Ubuntu. Seriously, there's no reason to pick something that doesn't 'just werk'.
>>
>>52055909

Lubuntu > Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a ton of fucking bloat and I'd rather not install another DE to get rid of the Amazon botnet.
>>
>>52055950
Fine. An Ubuntu variant, and yes, LXDE IS better than Unity.
>>
>>52055909
does Ubuntu really "just work" or is all my stuff going to crash on it like the other linux distros?
>>
kali
>>
>>52056000
Really, it does work. Assuming you have all the drivers available, you should be golden. I've only crashed ONCE on Ubuntu in the four(?) months I've been using it, and that was because I was also installing Gentoo on a VM at the time.
>>
Arch because you can make it into whatever you want
>>
>nobody has mentioned based xubuntu yet
baka desu senpai
>>
File: 4L_2G0LfzZm.jpg (11 KB, 240x246) Image search: [Google]
4L_2G0LfzZm.jpg
11 KB, 240x246
>>52055619
freeBSD because it's not linux
>>
Arch, fedora, any ubuntu distro that isnt ubuntu, gentoo
>>
deepin is a great Ubuntu/Debian variant, works very nice out-of-the-box.
I'm going to switch back to Gentoo though probably, since I miss portage too much.
>>
The one you personally like best. For me that's debian.
>>
That is a pointless question. What is your use case?

Regardless, install Gentoo.
>>
>>52056604

OP here, sorry for late response. I'm looking for a clean design with cool colors. I'd like to browse the web and listen to some music.
>>
>>52057231
Ubuntu, fedora, Debian Sid, crunch bang++, manjaro, antergos, Mint
>>
>>52056042
You dumb kid, a good OS should also be useful for normal stuff, not just pen testing. If you install kali on something more than a USB then you are a idiot script kiddie that probably don't know how to use Kali.
>>
>>52055909
People like ubuntu because they think it 'just werks'. What they don't realize is that every other distribution 'just werks' as well.

What makes ubuntu inferior is that other distros 'just werk'. But more than that, they 'just werk' AND, you understand how they 'just werk'.
>>
>>52057231
literally anything
>>
>>52057324
>AND, you understand how they 'just werk'.
Sounds like when you say "just werk" you mean 'just read a wiki'
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.