[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>checking for updates >5 hours later >200 updates found
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
>checking for updates
>5 hours later
>200 updates found
>installing updates
>3 hours later
>windows must retard
>configuring windows 15%
>an hour later
>configuring windows 35%

Why is windows update so fucking slow?

meanwhile on arch
>pacman -Syu
>done 3 minutes later

I cant wait for this shit OS to die
>>
>>52052860
Just don't use it. Once I switched to Linux, I slapped myself on the face for wasting so many house on Windows updates and infinite restarts.
>>
>>52052875
There are still some things I need windows for, unfortunately.
>>
>>52052860
> everything updates in 3 minutes with no restarts and then certain things that worked perfectly before are now having problems and you spend the next 20 minutes finding and un-fucking what broke

ftfy

If you're going to try and do the whole "Hurr can't wait for Windows to die" shit, at least use an actual fuctional os, not a hobby distro.
>>
I'm in Ops/Sysadmin, so I do Windows patching a lot.
It's a terrible pain in the ass exactly because it is so slow and unreliable. I don't even understand why it would be so slow - you already have one list of installed updates, you then have another of available updates, compare them and install the difference - that's it.
We automate most of it of course, but even then we often have individual machines where you manually have to finish it. The number of times I had to run a fixit for Windows Updates is absurd.

And now with Windows 10, you don't even get to properly select which updates to install and what they do. It's only gonna get worse.
>>
>>52052860
I just installed Windows 10. Took an hour because I wasted time looking for graphics drivers on Intel's site instead of just clicking search for drivers in device manager.
>>
>>52052860
>be me
>listen to linux shills
>download distribution
>try to get java
>requires work in terminal

>installing java on windows
>click download
>run installer
>done
>>
>>52052860

I just don't get it. How can Linux be so much better than Windows as an OS? I'd go 100% Linux if the support for the latest hardware and software was better.
>>
>>52052975
i feel ya mate.
>>
>>52053696
you sound like my grandma.
>>
>>52053257
>making things up
>>
Nice b8 . Linux circle jerk.
>>
>>52053696
a simple command or 2 is way easier than the windows equivalent
>>
>>52053696
Have fun with your Ask toolbar
>>
File: 1449982761737.gif (2 MB, 274x451) Image search: [Google]
1449982761737.gif
2 MB, 274x451
>>52054135
How fucking retarded do you have to be to just untick the box while installing
>>
>>52054267
retarded enough to be a windows user
>>
OS updates and ricing are not a primary variable of my computer experience and therefore I do use Windows.
>>
>>52054338
Enjoy donating CPU cycles to an ISIS botnet.
>>
Linux does not have this problem ;^)
>>
>>52054338
ok, josh

now fuck off
>>
>>52054267
Is this gif real or shopped?
>>
>>52053257
Nice try, made me reply 1/10

I have literally never had any issues in my 2 years of updating Arch everyday.
>>
>not letting updates install automatically

oh wait lincucks dont know that feel because installing updates is all they can do on their OS
>>
>not havimg fast internet
>>
>>52054516
> I have no problems thus nobody has problems
Okay mate.
>>
>>52052975

Use it in a VM. Or install it alongside Linux.
>>
>>52052860
>updates
just dont update?
>>
>>52054860
I haven't had any problems with Arch either
>>
>gaymer scum hasn't yet managed to shake off Windows
>>
File: 1450825465764.png (21 KB, 317x317) Image search: [Google]
1450825465764.png
21 KB, 317x317
Actual answer for OP:

Yeah, the initial Windows update takes a long time but only on older versions like Vista and 7. 8.1 is fast and 10 is nearly instantaneous. From what I can tell about how it installs, it tries to be super duper safe about everything. It downloads, and then it checks the integrity, double checks the integrity, simulates installing, checks the integrity of THAT, deletes the simulated install and so on...

Windows Update is meant to be run automatically, so it has extra features where it can survive a shutdown in the middle of updating. That of course slows it down even more...

I once had a laptop with Fedora and was updating my kernel when I had to leave the crowded room I was in, like, immediately. Couldn't leave it there running in the room, so I was forced to shut it off, which fucked up my install... not a good day for me.

I would probably take a safe, slow update over a fast one which could destroy my install.
>>
File: shekel.jpg (56 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
shekel.jpg
56 KB, 400x400
>>52055996

did you get many of PIC RELATED for your shilling?
>>
>>52054460
It is real but this is cruel thing to do to your cat.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.