[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do I do if I don't want to use Windows 10 but am in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: windows-10-logo.jpg (65 KB, 800x523) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-logo.jpg
65 KB, 800x523
What do I do if I don't want to use Windows 10 but am in the market for a new computer?

They all ship with Win10 now. I could go Linux, but I want something reliable. I could go Mac, but I don't want to be a faggot. I could go Chromebook, but I don't want to give all my files to google. Could I buy a Win10 computer and downgrade to Win7? Are there any other good options?
>>
>>52052082
Just download a fucking ISO, burn it on your usb/CD and clean install 7 with a cracked product key you mong.
>>
>>52052082
>I could go Linux, but I want something reliable.

Linux is way more reliable than windows or mac. that is why people rather use linux for servers, because they need something reliable that won't fail.

Linux is the most reliable OS available. What's wrong with you? Are you ignorant? High? or did you mistype?
>>
>>52052082
Go with Mint. It's a perfect distro for babbys, and it literally just werks. There is nothing that you do on your computer currently that MInt won't be able to handle. I can almost guarantee it.
>>
Nowadays there are drivers for new hardware on Windows 7 if you want.

However if you're looking for performance without using 10, your best bet is 8.1, not 7.
>>
>>52052260
Reliable for server sure. It's hit n miss for desktop
>>
File: 1450968526604.jpg (97 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1450968526604.jpg
97 KB, 640x640
>>52052082
>linux
>not reliable

friend...
>>
>>52052346
It is just as reliable for desktop use. What the fuck?

First people claim Linux can not have thumbnail previews in the file managers even though all file managers in Linux have it. And then people claim Linux is unreliable as a desktop when the fact of the matter is it is way more reliable than any other OS. (which is why it is used for any stability critical operation. Nasa switched to Linux desktops from Windows just because they needed reliability: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/155392-international-space-station-switches-from-windows-to-linux-for-improved-reliability )

Why do only people who have never tried Linux have any complaints about Linux? Whenever I hear a complaint about Linux it's something completely false. It is like if someone would complain that windows do not have files or that windows do not have any games. Only someone with no knowledge about windows would think that. Get your info from someone who have tried Linux.
>>
>>52052569
>>52052288
>>52052260
I did try Linux. It was Linux Mint.

Loaded up Counter-Strike and it crashed after 5 seconds every single time. Never had that happen on Windows.

Yeah I could probably fix it if I wanted to, but I wanted to play Counter-Strike not spend a couple hours troubleshooting driver compatibility issues.
>>
>>52052082
> I could go Linux, but I want something reliable
I feel a bait is hidden somewhere near.
>>
>>52052569
>try to install windows
>literally insert CD/USB stick with iso and be done within 30 minutes no matter how weird your hardware setup
>try to install linux
>spend ages figuring out why your hardware config won't even go past the initial setup
>finally get the right bios settings/firmware, face many problems trying to find drivers that actually work

Don't get me wrong. If you have the right hardware Linux works great (arguably better than windows). I also love how customizable it is in terms of looks and settings. Maybe I have really shitty hardware but somehow I always run into problems trying to get the damn OS working.

I haven't tried on my Thinkpad yet though. My older netbook simply seems incompatible with any linux and my desktop has some parts that I cant get working.

Maybe I'm using the wrong distro's. I tried lxle, Ubuntu and CentoOS
>>
>>52052082
w10 is a piece of shit
I upgraded my w7 to 10 just to test it.

at first it looked fine until I tried some games.
newer once like witcher 3 work normally but some older ones like for example path of exile were litteraly unplayable. I had 10-30fps on average with a new 300€ gpu(wont tell if amd or nvidia, will only end up in flame wars).

emulators also worked like shit. just deleted everything and put 7 back on.
will switch to 10 once windows gets it shit together and when dx12 rolls out.
>>
>>52052217
Installing Win7 isn't an issue for me. My concern is the drivers. Especially on laptops where drivers are shitty to begin with.
>>
>>52052217
Where do I find a cracked product key?
>>
>>52053393
DEBIAN
E
B
I
A
N
make sure you get the proper drivers though
>>
>>52053506
I've actually read that Debian is one of the few working for my netbook (Acer 522, yes it's a piece of shit I know).

Ill try it tomorrow. Any tips on how to install it without a CD/DVD? I usually just use the pendrive linux tool (universal usb installer).
>>
>>52053608
disable secureboot and probably tweak a bunch of other shit in the BIOS
>>
>>52052082
set yourself on fire then jump off a building with a rope around your neck
>>
>>52053608
sorry, i've always used a cd
since you're on a laptop, you should use a de
also, use one of these if you want to make things easier and don't particularly care about freedom:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.