[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DDR4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
What does /g/ think about DDR4 RAM is it a waste of cash or?
>>
>>52051694
yes just like broadmeme/memelake
>>
>>52051694
>is it a waste of cash

the biggest
>>
Why is it a waste of cash, isn't it better?
>>
early DDR3 was shit too

you have to wait a little bit to mature
>>
>>52052456
I would like as well some actual explanation.

Why is "mature DDR3" better than "young DDR4"?
>>
I had no choice. My mainboard (ASRock H170M Pro4) supports only DDR4-2133. My first 2x 4GB kit had problems and I returned it for DOA/RMA. The second kit works w/o any problems.
>>
I guess at this point DDR3 in a system or laptop isn't a deal breaker, but a few years down the road DR4 will be a standard. Yes the performance benefits are not that visible yet because prices are a bit higher but eventually they will even out and then there will be no reason to take DDR3 over DDR4.

The potential is just higher in DDR4. It's just a normal evolution I don't understand why some faggots are so against it.
>>
will be nice for igps once the clock gets higher.
will get used more and more cuz low power.

there where some benches with intel cpus where the igp while it still scaled of clock, when comparing ddr3 and 4 with the same clock ddr3 won by a small margin, probably because of timmings (my opinion, can't remember the article).
>>
>>52052533
Because just like when the transition from DDR2 to DDR3 started, the advantages of the new technology didn't add up to the difference in value.
>>
>>52051694
Yeah if you have no worry about money. Just got hyper x fury 16gb 1866 whites the other day and I feel like thats the fastest youll need if youre only playing vidya.
>>
>>52052533
>>52054572

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/940-7/hd-graphics-530-pratique-jeux.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/ddr4-haswell-e-scaling-review-2133-to-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/8

ddr3 will win most synthetics and most gaming because of timings at comparable clock. and that will continue for a while, even at higher clocks, as atm ddr3 has tighter timings.
(anand benches slightly spoiled due to cache)
>>
>>52051694
Don't be a dumb early adopter if you already have DDR3 stuff.
It's simply not worth it
>>
>>52051694
>>52052472
DDR4 has already reached that point of maturation, its a direct upgrade from a high end DDR3 kit, and its only going to get better.
G.Skill is offering 3200mhz CL14 kits now, with totally flat timings across the board. They previously had CL16 kits out at the same speed, but now Samsung chips are yielding high enough that they can get tons of chips that will run at even tighter timings. A year from now we'll likely have 4000mhz CL18 or tighter DDR4.

The 1.35v DIMMs we have now using 20nm DRAM dies will turn into 14nm 1.2v DIMMs with capacities 4x higher at the same frequency and timings.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.