[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wdg/ - Web Development General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 7
File: 1449342190628.png (887 KB, 822x552) Image search: [Google]
1449342190628.png
887 KB, 822x552
Old Thread >>51980998

>IRC Channel
#/g/wdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: https://www.rizon.net/chat

>Learning material
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.bento.io/
https://programming-motherfucker.com/
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
https://www.theodinproject.com/

>Frontend development
https://github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

>Useful tools
https://pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
https://libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.

>NEET guide to web dev employment
https://pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>>
http://azuradev.us:6552/
What color should I make the blueish area in the bottom? or does it look good already?
>>
>>52039122

#008DDE
>>
>>52039214
Not him, but that is a really good blue. Thanks.
>>
does anyone here have an article or some readings on fractal trees?
It would really help me decide wether using mongodb or not
>>
>>52039367
>>>/dpt/
>>
Seattle area here. How the fuck do I land a web dev job? Just 15 bucks an hour would be ok with me
>>
File: 45a636cd353205fddaf508343fa3.jpg (161 KB, 850x814) Image search: [Google]
45a636cd353205fddaf508343fa3.jpg
161 KB, 850x814
>>52039894
suck good dick.
>>
Is Freecodecamp any good?
>>
Does anyone know how to use Gulp to compile ES6 to ES5 and include support for ES6 modules? I want to be able to add one js file to my site.

Right now I'm using
-Gulp
&
-Babel

But Babel doesn't have a module loader because the spec isn't complete.
>>
>>52040207
Actually I don't give a fuck about gulp... Any build system would work.
>>
Is anyone actually using the IRC channel?
>>
>>52040617
Yes
>>
>>52039894
I'm in the same boat, but at least you are in an area with lots of programming jobs. I'm stuck in bumfuck nowhere.
>>
why is nobody talking in the chat?
>>
>>52041406
It's Christmas eve papi.
>>
do you guys think this would be useful?
http://168.235.82.152
it's like any other demo site but it exposes some firebase-like API. feedback on design/user experience would be awesome!

example of a chat using the site:
http://168.235.82.152/#2092881667
source:
http://168.235.82.152/#source_2092881667
>>
ded
>>
so do we fight with /dpt/
>>
>>52039367
Don't use mongodb for anything besides prototyping.
>>
File: image.png (126 KB, 247x247) Image search: [Google]
image.png
126 KB, 247x247
>>52045260
>Fight
>>
>>52040207
>>52040232
I use gulp with babel and browserify for bundle building. Babel by itself doesn't have very functional file concatenation.
>>
>>52042978
Definittly not
>>
I am launching terminal every time to sass --watch my changes... is there a more practical way? How do you watch your sass files for changes?
>>
>>52045493
Any decent build system should have a file watcher plugins.
>>
>>52045533
Can it be done without additional config files that you must add your folder where sass files are? I mean terminal is good in a way that it doesnt interfere with your files and you dont need to add files for build systems.
>>
Is Bootstrap a meme for those who don't know how to properly use CSS?
>>
>>52046063
If you're doing freelance shit or making websites for people/your employer, then yeah you gotta spend some time on your CSS and making it not look generic, i.e. customize bootstrap or just use your own css

But if you're just making hobby/small sites and focusing on putting out content, then Bootstrap is great because it just lets you get straight in to the backend work. It's not a meme and it's not made for people who don't know how to CSS, it allows for easy CSS customization using SASS/LESS.
>>
So, what's the difference between Angular 2 and Polymer now? I mean, both create resusable components via custom tags. Polymer just aims to conform to the Web Components standard and relies more on polyfills.

Why have two? Does Angular 2 perform better on current browsers? Polymer even has this two way databinding stuff now, via dom-bind.
>>
>404
>
up
>>
Which debug engine for php?
Xdebug Zend or phpdbg?
>>
>>52047747
What?
>>
>>52045319
And why the fuck not?

Using some bulky Oracle piece of shit with no ORM is a million times worse
>>
>>52051717
>what is a 404
>>
>>52052372
yeah what the fuck is that
>>
>>52041228
Move?
>>
>>52052571
*giggle*

Do you know 301?
>>
>>52052682
are you telling me to fuck off forever?
>>
>>52042978
I don't know the fuck you're talking about senpai.
>>
Westcoast, I want to up my webdev skills. I do Flask/Django currently, should I add Ruby on Rails or one of the JavaScript frameworks to my skill set?
And if JS, which one? So damn many.
>>
does anyone have experience with Meteor.js? seems interesting at the first sight

>inb4 javascript
>>
>>52046063
bootstrap is great for building responsive sites. you still have to customise the css if you dont want to look generic
>>
>>52046324
yeah they do the same thing. angular was originally just a google side project and polymer was the main project, but angular got suprisingly popular
>>
>>52039089

so i want to do this:

for(var j=1; j<100; j++)
{
var links = document.querySelectorAll('a[title="Test"]');
for (var i = 0; i < links.length; i++) {
window.open(links[i].href,"_blank");
}
window.location.href = 'url?page='+j;
}

in the chrome console. the problem is that it doesn't wait for the next page to load. so it does all the link clicking on page 1. stackoverflow isn't very helpful on this issue
>>
>>52053537
Why don't you just do the same thing with _blank in the <a> tag?
>>
What's the benefit of using react over angular ??
>>
>>52053537
if you navigate away from the current page your script stops and is lost.
you need to add it yourself manually again.
>>
>>52053225
Go with Node.js + Express. I'd stay away from AngularJS if I were you.
Ruby on rails shouldn't take you more than a few hours to learn, it's pretty simple once you get it up and running.
>>
>>52053646

is there any way to open the link in a new tab or something and give it the script to execute?
>>
>>52053759
make a userscript.

what do you actually want to do? just open pages? what for?
maybe there's a better solution.
>>
>>52053772

the site generates a unique link to files on pageload and I don't want to click through all pages just to download the files manually
>>
Hey guys has anyone of you worked for lepforce before?

Just lost my job and this would be perfect while I'm in school. Is it legit?
>>
>>52053537
What site is it?
>>
>>52053835

some huge ass internal bmw page because they can't provide us their files in a different way because of "security reasons"
>>
>>52042978
this is pretty interesting. i could see it in use for learning web development and stuff maybe.
>>
>>52053930
I see, try making a userscript instead, have it run on every pageload on that URL and use the download attribute on the links to automatically download them.
>>
>>52039367
Listen bub,

That's not how you decide whether to use mongodb or not.

Look at the properties your data will have, and compare that with the kind mongodb handles best. Then decide.
>>
>>52054041

wow, making a userscript was super easy. never thought of it before. thanks
>>
I wrote down some of the exercises some anons said that are good for practicing, for anyone interested:
>Textboard
>Pastebin clone
>Forum
>Question and answer site
>Todo list
>ImageBoard
>Image gallery site(Something like eHentai or booru)
>Twitter clone
>Facebook clone
>Code hosting site
>News aggregator
>Reddit clone
>Landing page
>Landing page that actually looks good
>Landing page that actually looks good using parallax scrolling
>Portfolio-Business Page
>Wikis: With editable and informative, user uploaded data.
>Pizza restaurant: For displaying promotions, carrying over coupons, and filling forms
>Band pages: To host media contentand tour news
>Editorial news site: Showcasing heavy body copy and media list of articles
>Retail sites: Showcasing products, carrying over to carts
>Any of the above without using javascript
>REST/API
>Consumer of the above
>Chat program (without webcam)
>Chat program (with webcam)
>Torrent Site
>IRC Client
>Messaging System (Like centralized email with a web interface)
>Search Engine
>System Administration interface
>Text-based RPG
>>
What is the best front-end set-up when you're a back end dev that don't know shit about front-end?
>>
>>52054989
Depends on what you want.
>>
>>52054095
But they taught me analysis in college.
>>
>>52054989
Wordpress
>>
>>52051733
>storing data is an overrated quality on a database
>>
>>52054959
Why dont you make a simple flask server and do random choice between those options?
>>
>>52054989
Use your templating language

or

ReactJS
>>
>>52054989
I'd use AngularJS (1), because it is much like the backend with controllers, factories that pull data from the API, routing and other stuff
>>
>>52054989
Bootstrap
>>
I'm trying to get a confirmation alert show up before item deletion, but it's not working. What am I doing wrong?

HTML
<button id="removeAll">Remove All Entries</button>

JS
removeAll.onclick = function checkPoint(){
confirm('Are you sure?')
ul.innerHTML = '';
}
>>
>>52056775
Your callback is not asynchronous
>>
>>52056775
You're not catching the event, you need to accept the event itself and add
evt.preventDefault();

for it to not continue, and then you need to check the response of the confirm to decide what to do next.

I suggest using addEventListener instead of overwriting the function.
>>
>>52056775
>>52056842
Also, you're defining the function with a name, to a name. Either define it first and assign it or drop the "checkPoint" in the function.
>>
Is JEE webdev?
>>
>>52056775
$(document).ready(function(){
$("#removeAll").click(function(){

});
});
>>
is there some type of cheat sheet for the position element with <div></div> ? Rather than playing around trying to get things to fit
>>
Are there any Java webdev frameworks that can rival Spring Boot?

I honestly doubt it, but what the fuck do I know
>>
>>52056775

removeAll.onclick = function checkPoint(){
if(confirm('Are you sure?'))
ul.innerHTML = '';
}

>>
>>52057187
kek

+1 for effort kouhai
>>
File: 1451000042447.png (725 KB, 822x552) Image search: [Google]
1451000042447.png
725 KB, 822x552
>>52039089
If you're going to use a png for a general you should really optimise it.
>>
>>52057357
Wow, you managed to shave away 100kb of an image nobody will ever open, congratulations.
>>
>>52057357
>le optimized ur png xDDD

Fuck off and kill yourself you cancerous memer
>>
>>52057380
>there are people in the world right now with internet speeds below 1mbps

Unnecessarily large image files are discriminatory, shitlord.
>>
What is the difference between a DAO and a Repository?
>>
I really like bootstraps column/grid system for responsive layouts, but i dont want any of the other shit included with it
is this something that you can easily write yourself or are there other frameworks for this?
can i get a version of bootstrap with only the grid system?
>>
>>52058030

Yeah you can do this yourself, it shouldn't be too hard if you understand how media queries work. It'll take you a while to perfect it though, especially when you're writing the rules to reshuffle the divs and how they position themselves relative to each other after the page has been re-sized.
>>
>>5205806
cool, i've not been into webdevelopment for very long but i've found that i'd rather write things like that myself if i can so i dont have to rely on other peoples stuff.
>>
>>52058225
woops
>>52058062
>>
I am a backend developer that wants to properly learn frontend, last project I did I just slapped bootstrap and called it a day.

Biggest problem I have is that most resources I find are geared towards begginers, 100 pages to explain syntax and whatnot (there was a book that had a two page spread just to explain an HTML tag).

Ideally I would like something that explains common patterns, techniques, or at least least something with exercises to follow along.
>>
File: 3ccc97709cd045bf69605d03c450a5.jpg (187 KB, 850x1135) Image search: [Google]
3ccc97709cd045bf69605d03c450a5.jpg
187 KB, 850x1135
>>52058996
add me on skype bae.
4chinchin
>>
How do you not learn frontend while learning backend?
>>
>>52059018
>Learn language with something unrelated to web.
>Learn basic html+css, no front-end framework
>Use web framework for the first time.
>Put some easy-ass bootstrap or ugly html in here without thinking to much about front-end or let some one else do it.
>Work on your web framemork on back end
Now you know back end without knowing anything about front-end.
>>
I love coding everything by hand in raw code. It's bad for business, especially when it comes to management. Learning frameworks are tedious, and for most when a new version comes out you'll have to go back to square one and re-learn certain aspects of it. I feel so handicapped trying to work with them :/
>>
>>52059680
SAME.
I think it's just the sense of accomplishment and the fact that I can say "Hey, I made something by myself" at the end of the day.
>>
>>52059680
Yeah same here too. They're supposed to make things faster, but it's not always the case.
>>
Bootstrap going balls deep into SASS when version 4 drops. Fuck that

http://blog.getbootstrap.com/2015/08/19/bootstrap-4-alpha/
>>
>>52053833
I did work, there are many tests before and that job is fucking irritating as fuck anon. I went to a vacation so I lost the job, didn't even get the salary.

And also try to search in Google for answers to their test during the test. It's everywhere. Hope you get a good job soon
>>
https://pasticode.com/#1668439272
>>
I want to create a website with tutorials in the form of articles. Should I use Wiki software for this? Are there any alternatives which would fit better?
>>
>>52059680
>>52059888
I think having a difficult usecase, going balls-deep into the documentation and in the end, adding something essential to the framework you're working with, is just as satisfying
>>
>>52062781
just steal some codecanyon script
>>
Why are Atlassian allowed to openly shit all over Jenkins like that?

https://www.atlassian.com/software/bamboo/got-jenkins/
>>
>>52063357
I always get frustrated and give up trying to learn it.
I've tried various frameworks for a number of languages; Django, Node.js, Laravel, Ruby on Rails, Codeigniter, and the only one I would say I'm competent in is Laravel.
What I really like about frameworks is that they tend to handle many aspects for you, like security. I like the routing, controllers, validations, etc. but I always get frustrated trying to learn the intricate aspects of it.
>>
I have problems with FF on linux,it doesnt show the proper icons from Font Awesome. It works on Chrome.
For example, "hourglass" icon is shown as some japanese letter in Firefox.
Anyone ever seen this behavior? Any tips?
Is it enough to apt-get ugrade to update Firefox? I am on Xubuntu 15.04.
>>
>>52055096
kek are you one of those database designer shills that take every opportunity to shit on NoSQL and ORMs so they don't lose their job?
>>
File: ii.jpg (99 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
ii.jpg
99 KB, 600x800
>1 day and 17 hours old thread

Why do you still bother making /wdg/ threads?

Just come and join us at our tripfriend circlejerk /dpt/ already.
>>
>>52067102
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JybITdCrqyU
>>
>>52067102
But /dpt/ is just as incompetent as wdg, might as well merge with sqt at this point
>>
I know nothing about web dev and I want to make a simple chat website. I'm a c++ dev and have a few years of programming experience in general

>How long would it take me to create a really really simple chat website?
>What should I use for backend/frontend?
>>
>>52067102
Filtered.
/^!1KR5YYJMX2/
>>
>>52066883
>NoSQL
Has no place in production environments when handling sensitive information.
>ORMs
A meme taken too far, great for resource mapping, but abused to hell and back by retards trying to simplify their models, resulting in extremely inefficient queries.
>>
>>52067345
Literally 1 week, coming from c++ already makes you a Demi god among these web monkeys senpai.
>>
>>52067345
~1 week including different rooms.

Websockets for communication, backend doesn't matter, node.js is simple to setup with websockets, and if you use node you might as well use Express or whatever to serve the rest, you don't really need a front-end framework.
>>
>>52067345
socket.io and node.js+express on the backend. vanilla js or jquery to update the dom on socket.io events on the frontend.
>>
>>52067374
>>52067388
>>52067424
Thank you anons, I'll report back if I get as far as having anything cool to show off
>>
>>52067424
>socket.io
No offense to web-friends but I have to admit there's really nothing that pisses me off as bad as websites like this one. You go to the site and it says fucking *nothing* about what it is or what it does

And this is rampant with modern web services. You get a giant banner with giant fonts with some stupid motivational advertising shit

"The coolest web solution your team has ever come across"

And it says NOTHING about ANYTHING
People who do this should be fucking fired
>>
>>52067576
Read the fucking page.

>Socket.IO enables real-time bidirectional event-based communication.

Headings
>Real time analytics
>Binary streaming
>Instant messaging and chat
>Document collaboration

You need glasses boi.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.