[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So today I finally removed my Windows 7 and looking to install
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: dennis_ritchie.jpg (30 KB, 309x400) Image search: [Google]
dennis_ritchie.jpg
30 KB, 309x400
So today I finally removed my Windows 7 and looking to install some alternative OS on that partition. What should I install /g/? Presently pondering between FreeBSD or QubesOS.
>>
install gentoo.

>I'm frirst mothafuckaz
>>
Why not use a desktop os for your desktop?
>>
>>52033084
I really want to install it but:

1. Install process is too long
2. My internet is slow

>>52033092
Which one?
>>
File: Terry Davis.jpg (24 KB, 418x438) Image search: [Google]
Terry Davis.jpg
24 KB, 418x438
TempleOS
>>
>>52033130
No. I'm muslim :^)
>>
Pls respond.
>>
>>52033070
FreeBSD then, I assume you already have some linux somewhere.
>>
>>52033161
Soon, brother, soon.
>>
>>52033070
never tried freebsd on a desktop, but it's great on servers.
>>
>>52033161
Salam Alaykum bro, FreeBSD
>>
>>52033161
Ubuntu Christian Edition
>>
Go with Ubuntu GNOME edition.
>>
>>52033413
I did but it got corrupted and haven't been able to fix it.

>>52033428
Inshallah

>>52033437
Looks like FreeBSD it is then.
>>
File: G_OS_Guide.jpg (375 KB, 3000x2116) Image search: [Google]
G_OS_Guide.jpg
375 KB, 3000x2116
>>
File: Debian.png (784 KB, 2267x1763) Image search: [Google]
Debian.png
784 KB, 2267x1763
>>52033536
This. Or go straight to Debian. Nothing beats Debian.
>>
>>52033452
>>52033536

Bad memes never end.

>JEWbuntu

Avoid it.
>>
>>52033070
Xubuntu
>>
>>52033070
Windows 10
>>
>>52033070
The problem with BSD is not a lot of drivers. If you are new to Unix, then Mint or Ubuntu would be best. If you know what you are doing, then both Debian and Slackware are good choices.
>>
>>52034337
How good is Debian as a pure desktop OS really? I almost always only hear about it in a server context.
>>
>>52037706
It's a good pure desktop. It's useful for server stuff because it's quite minimal out of the box and fairly stable. but if you want a desktop debian then it often is easier to take some debian based distro like ubuntu wgere you have a bunch of stuff pre installed for desktop use
>>
>>52037768
I kind of disagree. You most likely go for Ubuntu or other Debian derivatives for more updated packages. Sure, you could install Debian Testing, but that's not why you should use Debian, definitely not for a production environment. If you go for Debian, go for stability. People that go for Debian mostly go for stability and the community.
>>
>>52037706
Debian has a HUGE amount of packages. You can use Debian however you want. I ran it as a desktop OS for a year and it ran fine and was stable as fuck.
>>
>>52038233
>If you go for Debian, go for stability. People that go for Debian mostly go for stability and the community.

Yes. That is very important in a server, but in a individual desktop that is not very important. not AS important. Debian testing is fairly stable as well, if you don't use it as a server.
>>
Haiku OS
>>
>>52038413
All right, fair enough. I'll just stick to Stable, though. :)
>>
>>52033070
>>52033429

OpenBSD is better for the desktop. The devs actually intend for it to be used as one, hence the reason they've pretty much rewritten, cleaned-up, secured, and de-bloated X (or Xenocara as it's called), and include it as part of the base. Manually installing, and configuring X is 99% of why installing a DE is such a tedious headache.

FreeBSD can be used as a desktop, but you will have to manually install and configure X. Also it's graphics stack is not as well developed as OpenBSD's. Not even remotely close. They have one guy who works on it, and that's only part time.

XFCE works great on OpenBSD, and from what I hear KDE does too. Gnome not so much. Personally though, I use Fluxbox and cwm (it comes as part of the base as well).

>>52035552
This is true in OpenBSD, but it's mainly an issue on newer hardware (particularly gpus and wireless adapters). At least as far as x86 stuff goes, the OS will probably support it sooner or later, and once it does, that hardware will continue to work on it indefinitely, even long after active development and support ends.

Windows on the other hand will break that hardware forcing you to upgrade within a few years. Linux won't deliberately do it usually, but once active support ends, eventually it will stop working, because the Linux community doesn't place a very high priority on backwards compatibility.

Or portability for that matter. Look at Libreboot. GNU intentionally made it so that in order to use it, you all but certainly will have to do so on GNU/Linux systems--well ok, or one of the two (FUCKING 2!) Macbooks (OSX!) that it works on So much for fucking freedom, huh?
>>
>>52034321
>Ubuntu
>Looks similar to Windows
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.