[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could an electronic wizard help me ? I want to convert a webcam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 2.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Could an electronic wizard help me ? I want to convert a webcam coming from an old laptop to an USB webcam. I have the webcam and an usb cable, but I don't know which wires I have to connect.

Webcam : (5 wires)
- Light-green
- Green
- Bare
- White
- Red

USB : (4 wires)
- Red
- Green
- White
- Black
>>
File: 1.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>52031256
The cable
>>
>>52031256
red-green
green-red
black-bare and white
white-light green

Don't forget to post results
>>
>>52031345
Yeah this looks good to me OP
>>
Find the pin out for the camera module on Google you fucking frogposter
>>
Op its not just a matter of soldering the wires together, you need a driver board for it, what's the part number of the webcam
>>
>>52031403
Im germany not france
>>
>>52031256
Not even trying to be a dick, but OP you don't know what you're doing. This is almost guaranteed not to work.
>>
>>52031416
There's no need for a board. There's tutorials about that on internet but my webcam has more wires
>>
File: 325442353245234.webm (311 KB, 245x244) Image search: [Google]
325442353245234.webm
311 KB, 245x244
>>52031403
>you fucking frogposter
>Im germany not france
>>
>>52031437
It's not like it will break anything. He may as well just try a bunch of random connections and see if any of them stick.
>>
>>52031509
Are you implying that it can fry my motherboard ?
>>
>>52031509
>it's not like it'll break anything
Yeah 5v never hurt nuffin
>>
>>52031458
>he thinks a frogposter is someone from france
>he thinks "germany" is what germans are called

Bernd, geh bitte und bleib weg.
>>
>>52031560
Shoulda nuked Frankfurt when we had the chance
>>
electrician here
>>52031519
there's no way you can break anything on your motherboard, just the webcam but it's extemely unlikely

first, 5v power, which is red to red, bare to black
then comes data, which is green to green and white to white

then you have one green leftover for which you will need to figure out what it does. do it like i wrote above and see if there is any led on the webcam board that is lighting up. it probably has none so all you can do is measure with a multimeter on both 5v connections and see if you can measure the given 5v. otherwise you will need to swap around. it could also be that you need to connect 2 webcam wires to the black usb wire, but that is unlikely as the cable is already shielded.
>>
>>52031634
Alright, thanks for your help, I'll try that
>>
>>52031634
though i also think you need a driver board, do you remember where the cam was hooked up to inside the laptop?
>>
>>52031708
Nope...

In http://www.instructables.com/id/Reuse-old-laptop-webcam/ it doesn't seem there's need for one
>>
>>52031748
i see, it is worth a try then. as said in that tutorial, try to google the serial number of the board and you might find a pinout. that would make things a lot easier
>>
>>52031787
actually, the second green cable might very well be the microphone if there is one on the board. i dont know much about laptop mainboards, there might be a header on them just for webcams, like a usb header on a usual mainboard. which would mean you have to do the pinout i described before and guess which of the green wires is the webcam.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.