[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ hate on gaming laptops so much? I'm talking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault.jpg (43 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
43 KB, 480x360
Why does /g/ hate on gaming laptops so much? I'm talking about midrange, not the power hog 980 SLI systems.

I admit that some are absolute shit (Dell/Alienware), but there are a lot of budget systems that are pretty awesome.

Thermal Throttling is not near as bad as it has been in the past. There are many systems that run the CPU and GPU at the base clock without throttling.

The specs are closer to desktops now. Pretty much every laptop will have a 4710HQ or higher, which is more than enough to run any games. GPUs are a bit weaker, but still a mid range laptop GPU will run all modern games at 1080P with medium settings. 16Gb isn't hard to come by either.

They are really thin now as well. All of them are less than an inch thick now. Less than an inch for a laptop that has a full 4C8T Haswell i7 that keeps it's base clock. Pretty impressive.

Battery life isn't an issue either. Most people force their dedicated GPU to run and leave Turbo boost on. If you Throttle your CPU down and use the intel GPU, you can get 5 hours of battery life easily.

Is a huge desktop really worth $1000 more to play games at ultra than the sub $1000 laptop range to have something completely portable? Also, since people love to shit on AMD for power consumption, try comparing a 135w max laptop vs your 700W+ desktop system, excluding monitor.

It just makes no sense why people bash them so hard now. 3 Years ago they sucked, but now they are great.
>>
>>52026638
>ugly
>gaming prefix = autismus maximus VIII
>extremely uncomfortable sweating hands, because of heat dispersion is non/existant
>way too thick

Who even plays games anymore, grow up
>>
>>52026638
Because they all look like absolute jew ricer 14year old tier trash.

Name a good cheap gaming laptop that doesn't have some edgy glowing rgb theme
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 770x433
>>52027500
The only one that's even passable is Razer blade, and that's just a MacBook clone
>>
>>52026638
Why do you faggots hate on ayylmaoware??

I have a 2010 model and still runs great, battery lasts about two hours, only thing I have upgraded is an SSD

Currently running win7 and mint
>>
Because we're not 14.

Most of us, that is.
>>
>>52027500
The Y50 has a red illuminated keyboard that can be turned off. Aside from that it is straight black with a Lenovo logo.
>>
>>52027601
Didn't know macbooks have 970M's.
>>
>>52027939
HURRRRR
>>
>>52027939
> muh gaymen laptop gpu
>>
>>52026638
>Why does /g/ hate on gaming laptops so much?
You've covered most of the issues while desperately trying to marginalize them (piss poor heat management, middling performance, and higher price) but the most glaring deficiency for me is the lack of upgradability.

You build a system game on it until the performance is not up to snuff. Then you upgrade the GPU and you're back up to speed. Some new technology comes out? 90% of the time you can use it with your system. In either of these situations you'd have to buy a new laptop (if not wait for months until a new version comes out that includes newer tech/GPU).

AND you can get very portable with a system you build (m-ITX, bluetooth mini keyboard, mouse) which you can plug into just about any flatscreen TV where ever you may roam.
>>
>>52026638
>Why does /g/ hate on gaming laptops so much?

Because there are already two entire boards for video games.
>>
Newegg has refurb high end Y50's for $800. I love mine.>>52027992
A 970M is on par with a desktop 960.
>>
>>52026638
they look trashy as fuck and while it's nice to be able to play a game wherever if I actually play one, I can easily do that with a nicely specced business laptop anyway

>>52027458
>grow up
10 bucks says the average faggot posting this kind of shit is themself a mindless casual with a grandma-tier platform agnostic use case that centers mostly around media consumption
>>
File: gamer-snapback_cap-man.jpg (24 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
gamer-snapback_cap-man.jpg
24 KB, 400x300
>>52027601
The downside is you'd be giving Razer money.
>>
>>52026638
Any nice laptop under around 800$
>>
>>52026638
I have a midrange laptop with a dgpu

can´t complain too much, it´s a fuck ton faster than the intel integrated graphics.
>>
>>52026638
Let me get this straight: if you wanna play games - build a desktop, because
1) there are many space, better cooling
2) you can update your hardware
3) you actually can build what you want
4) you dont give a shit about powerleveling - laptop have all this damn powersaving abilities what you dont need to be bother about
So, if you want to play - use battlestation
If you want to work - use laptop, they are for it
>>
>>52026638
>Why does /g/ hate on gaming laptops
/g/ doesn't hate gaming laptops, /g/ hates gaming.

Because there are three gaming boards on this site and they still come and shitpost about gaming laptops here.
>>
the isn't fucking /v/

what the fuck
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.