[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is firefox on linux so shitty?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: firefox_logo-100026079-gallery.jpg (46 KB, 576x385) Image search: [Google]
firefox_logo-100026079-gallery.jpg
46 KB, 576x385
On both my dekstop and laptop firefox has always been shit, it stutters and takes too long to load pages. the loading icon stutters and its nowwhere near as smooth as it is on windows
>>
>>52022131
Install gen2
>>
SJWfox a shit
also install Gentoo
>>
ive tried many distros and firefox is still the same
>>
Midori i like but need extensions
>>
>>52022131
Because Linux has no graphics drivers. It uses a generic inferior driver for all computers.

Windows 10 takes your computer to the highest possible level.
>>
works fine on my machine
>>
>>52022131
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/browser-benchmarks-2-even-wine-beats-linux-firefox
>>
>using linux for anything other than server
>>
PALE MOON
A
L
E

M
O
O
N
>>
>>52023605
OUTDATED MEME BROWSER
U
T
D
A
T
E
D
>>
what is Chrome?
>>
>>52023697
Palemoon is an outdated meme version of FF just as much as MATE is an outdated meme version of GNOME.

When something is great, you DON'T change it.
>>
>>52023770
Chrome is a botnet :^)
>>
>>52023697
it gets updated pretty often, other stupid shit I heard here is

>lel furries
>no greasemonkey
I am using 4chanx with it right now
>>
>>52023882
lol
>>
>>52023882
>Palemoon is an outdated meme version of FF just as much as MATE is an outdated meme version of GNOME.
>tearing by default because devs can't be arsed to include a compositor
It's basically abandonware. No one except some mexican ricer from the arch forums wanted to take over the project
>>
Use Microsoft Edge on Wine??? Duhh
>>
What makes palemoon an outdated meme version of Firefox?
>>
>>52026260
it's a fork of the source code, and as far as the average poster can tell it uses the same versioning scheme.
>>
>>52023605
>>52024076
>>52026260
>>52026288
Palemoon is irrelevant at best and a security risk at worst. I wouldn't advise using it.
>>
>>52022131

daily reminder that Flash is ending security update support for linux flash in 2016 and then Firefox will be legit done

the top kek is that 99% of distros include firefox by default
>>
>>52026400
>Flash
You're joking right?
>>
>>52026411

99% of sites still use flash, just cause you autistically use TOR browser with java script disabled and live in a text only internet doesnt mean the general public does
>>
File: Ideas168.jpg (313 KB, 597x800) Image search: [Google]
Ideas168.jpg
313 KB, 597x800
While we're having this FireFox and Linux thread... Whats the best Linux OS and Web browser?
>>
>>52026400
I don't even install flash on linux there's almost no point it's just a fucking buggy mess anyway. The freshplayer plugin wrapper exists if you actually care about that garbage.
>>
>>52026427
>99% of sites still use flash
>>
>>52026427

also when distros like Ubuntu or Fedora are trying to be the "crossover" distro to get users to come over an try an out do windows/mac, and are pre-loading firefox, those people are then going to flood their forums asking why x-isnt working

they're all gonna look stupid as fuck when they start using Chrome, since now Opera is nothing more than a reskined Chrome ,and any of the autistic versions of Firefox like Iceweasile or some shit just has less functionality with plugins and still wont actually change the fact that flash will be a huge security hole

meanwhile google has a forked version for years now, and firefox was instead more focused on creating a shitty phone and operating system that failed and their browser still is a single processor an they doubled down on that cause its the only thing keeping them different
>>
>>52026435

>shitty wrappers that constantly have FPS issues and other shit
>thinking distro devs are going to bother trying to make that shit work, on every fucking DE
>thinking the DE devs are going to bother making their DE work with it
>thinking the general public is doing to bother with it

>thinking all your autism distros who try to act like they're "titally free as fredum thats why we dont include mp3 support even tho 99,9% of you use it, nor NIC drivers like Debian like this is fucking Windows XP install, not even Windows 10 does that anymore"
>>
File: 1448641799016.jpg (189 KB, 778x658) Image search: [Google]
1448641799016.jpg
189 KB, 778x658
Chrome is privacy the best browser available.
>>
>>52026481
It's an NPAPI plugin that translates NPAPI calls to PPAPI calls it's very lightweight and fast and the DE/WM/etc has little to do with it.

>>52026481
>>thinking the general public is doing to bother with it
The general public somehow managed to install linux but getting a small application installed is too difficult? If it's offered as a package or better yet a PPA then I seriously doubt there will be any issues.
>>
>>52026427
>99% of sites still use flash
Oh you mean ads that use flash? They can die for all I care.
>>
>>52026528

ive used that wrapper , it constantly crashed or simply wouldnt load, it was unstable as fuck

also firefox is still shit cause then once a tab with flash dies the entire browser dies or needs to be restarted...thus going back to mozilla being shitty as fuck

and im tired of faggots talking about how "google had the chance to build from the start" no they didnt, they had a browser for like 5 years PRIOR to creating Blink and completely rehauling their backend

maybe if Mozilla spent last time on a failed OS an phone they could have had a usable browser by now

now they're not even focusing on tabs anymore, literally the only thing they were famous for in the first place
>>
>>52026616

>tabs

i meant extensions

also none of the distros are going to offer it by default cause it goes against their fucking "why are you even on linux if you want windos apps"
>>
>>52026427
99% of sites use Flash because you use Flash. The rest of us have been smooth sailing with html5 video.
>>
>>52022131
try edge m8 It's better than cuckfox
>>
>>52026260
Bug fixes and new web features from Firefox have been added to Pale Moon only selectively. For example, this bug has been fixed in Firefox since version 33 but is still broken in Pale Moon:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=902618
>>
>>52026616
Blink is pretty much just webkit rewritten by Google devs.
>>
>>52022131
Completely subjective, and depends on your machine. It's the other way around for me.
>>
File: werks.png (30 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
werks.png
30 KB, 200x193
>>
>>52023697
>>52023882
So what should I be using then?
>>
>>52026945
Not even rewritten, just fucking forked. Sure, there's new code (mostly related to the V8 JS engine), but Blink is pretty much a straight fork of WebCore with a few features Google didn't use torn out.

Fucking Apple hardly develops WebKit anymore, so Safari has stagnated for years. Most of Blink's improvements go unused or unnoticed since Google's work goes into Chrome features instead of the rendering engine. Fucking Gecko is a giant piece of dinosaur shit and Servo won't replace it until 2017-2018, by which time Firefox won't be worth using anymore.

Pale Meme needs more developers and should focus on diverging even further from Firefox. It probably won't get there. Merging e10s is likely to kill the project even if it's important for security and performance.

What we need is an entirely new browser, built using all-new code, with a focus on privacy and speed.
>>
>>52028063
Lynx is fast and secure :^)
>>
>>52028063
Vivaldi is the closest I have in mind.
>>
>>52022131
dude. iceweasel or chromium. on Lye Nucks.
you miss a meeting or some shit?
>>
>>52026432
There is no best. Use what you like best.
>>
>>52022131
>Why is firefox on linux so shitty?
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52028063
>What we need is an entirely new browser
What we need is to simplify WWW.
At the current state it's fucking bloated shit
>>
File: ss+(2015-06-22+at+08.54.22).png (8 KB, 501x219) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-06-22+at+08.54.22).png
8 KB, 501x219
It's fairly shitty on windows too. it can't handle 1000 tabs like it used too and idk what I'm supposed to do
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.