[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Look what arrived in the mail. Picked up for $150 best offer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: mail.jpg (182 KB, 1501x805) Image search: [Google]
mail.jpg
182 KB, 1501x805
Look what arrived in the mail.

Picked up for $150 best offer on feebay and found an interface on forums. Now it recognizes the hd, but I dont know if I wanna install windows. What's a good dist of linux? I dont mind reading up a little bit. I have used linux but over a decade ago, I believe it was redhat and suse.

Also what gui do you guys use, I remember kde gnome and blackbox.

but i forgot almost everything.
>>
Install
G E N T O O
E
N
T
O
O
>>
>>
File: 1448697229676.png (465 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1448697229676.png
465 KB, 800x800
>>52018264
>dat carry handle
>>
mandriva
>>
Gnome looks quite different now than a decade ago. If you like old gnome, then look up MATE
>>
>>52018264
>tfw my old toughbook cf-29 sits gathering dust after the HDD died a few months ago
damn, I might look for a new one or maybe even look into installing an SSD. those are some really lovely machines.

To answer your questions, I've been running Fedora on my baby for over 5 years, worked like a charm.
>>
>>52018481
>not just buying a new hard drive
???
>>
>>52018264
I never understood why Toughbooks and V-Tech Kiddy computers are the only computers with a fucking handle.
Had a cf 73 for ages. Shit was cash.
>>
>>52018502
been thinking about that, just so far I'm too lazy (and its not a priority thing) to do it.
>>
>>52018264
Which one is this? CF-29?
>>
I have a CF-27 sitting around somewhere that I have no idea what to do with

Kind of want to grab some diagnostic software and stick it in my car or something.
>>
>>52018264
>>52018264
Look what arrived in the mail.

Picked up for $150 best offer on feebay and found an interface on forums. Now it recognizes the hd, but I dont know if I wanna install windows. What's a good dist of linux? I dont mind reading up a little bit. I have used linux but over a decade ago, I believe it was redhat and suse.

Also what gui do you guys use, I remember kde gnome and blackbox.

but i forgot almost everything.

Re:/g/ -Look what arrived in the mail,

If you're looking for a great distro. of Linux that's inexpensive and has a relatively user friendly interface you should check out Ubuntu. Their site has a free ISO download that will let you demo the majority of it's daily uses without actually installing it. Also, in case you're more familiar with Windows UI over the years the distro that's pretty similar to that is called Mint. Ubuntu definitely has a terminal interface that is extremely similar to "old school" MsDOS, but has the GUI too if you're just not into typing that much. Mint does too, but not as user friendly in the terminal interface area. Hope I helped.
>>
what a ugly yet cool looking computer. turn it on op.
>>
>>52018771
>ugly
that's because OP got some black model, the silver ones are awesome.
>>
that's no toughbook. that's a getac. which I would stay away from, parts are easy to come by for a toughbook but not getac. Hundreds of dollars. Proprietary interface too.
>>
>>52020672

http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/3_notebooks_getac_b300.html

That's definitely a B300X. I agree. Getac laptops are good buy parts are a bitch to get a hold of, very expensive.
>>
>>52018264
U still going on about that bloody laptop?
Fucking hell you make a thread about this every day!
Must be the best present ever.
Merry Christmas anon!
>>
>>52021941
I can kinda understand why hes doing this to be fair. It does seem like a pretty cool laptop.
>>
>>52021941

This

BTW everyone who thinks this is a good deal needs to realize that without the caddy cannister, you cannot run this laptop. It's paper weight. OP lucked out on an interface.
>>
what are the specs and why so cheap this seems almost too good to be true. where is the catch?
>>
>>52023275

Op here, i7 2ghz 4gb. It has an GPS antenna and 3g software, but i just took it apart, it does not come with it. They are cheap though for 10 buks on ebay. That's the next upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntok7D5vE1c

Oh and I went with ubuntu. thanks again!
>>
>>52018296
But how?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.