[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>third year in software development >start taking algorithm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
File: just.jpg (743 KB, 1126x1091) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
743 KB, 1126x1091
>third year in software development
>start taking algorithm classes
>math everywhere
>don't understand shit
>get laughed at by the rest of class
>drop out
>tell my parents the news
>get kicked out of the house
>mfw math ruined my life
Why does no programming course ever made have a math prerequisite, yet when in the third or fourth year you're suddenly expected to understand it at a university grade/level.

Fuck programming. I have no idea why I even bothered with software development. Even when you make it out of college alive you're instantly replaced by some poo in the loo from India who does the same work for three fiddy an hour.
>>
>>52015437
just learn C# or java and find some code monkey job. I never went into CS because I knew that I would fail at university level math. I went to business school instead and it's probably the best decision I made in my life.
>>
>I can't do math
>therefore poo in loo
>>
>>52015437
just learn C# or java and find some code monkey job. I never went into CS because I knew that I would fail at university level math. I went to business school instead and it's probably the best decision I made in my life.
>>
>>52015437
I feel you anon. Dropped out if CS myself after 1 year, doing Biochem now. So much less autistic and enjoyable.
>>
>>52015437
>majored in software development
>software development is a major
lmao
>>
>>52015437
come on OP, people stupidier than you have passed math at university.. the real test comes on the job
>>
>>52015555
totally agreee good QUADS
>>
Lmao at these people that can't do math. Pretty embarrassing desu
>>
Become a webdev then, no math involved.
>>
>>52015437
>Why does no programming course ever made have a math prerequisite,
they all do, you just went to a shitty school
>>
>>52015497
>So much less autistic and enjoyable.

>So much less autistic and less enjoyable
>>
Nigga, say what?

Where do you go to school?

There is a shit ton of math prerequisites even in the CIS degree I did, and more in the CS I switched out of.

Also, what major is "software development"?
>>
>>52015497
>>52015437
Plebs. Algorithm course has very little math. If you can't do that much, you should be programming.
>>
>>52016157
They teach you how to poo in loo
>>
>>52015437
>no algos before 3rd year
wat?
>>
>>52016346
This. It's basically babby's first recurrence relation and babby's first induction
>>
>>52015437
"Programming" jobs can be executed by just about anyone who understands basic logic and control flows.
BSc, MSc and doctor degrees are academic degrees, they promise you know a certain range of the science of their field.
You have to remember that those degrees often merely make it easier to get those low level programming jobs and many degree holders never use the stuff they learned or should have learned. Some low level wage slave programming jobs even require a BSc or MSc!
Anyways, you aren't diligent or smart enough, the system worked, you were removed from it.
>>
>>52016683
Delays dropout / change of degree, giving the college more money in any case while keeping quality at an acceptable level (^:
>>
>>52016683
First time I've heard of having this stuff at the end of the undergrad program. Could also be that OP has intentionally put off taking these courses until he absolutely has to.

Then again he could be murrican and where higher education is run as a business rather than something intended to supply skilled people for the public and private sectors. When higher education becomes about having as many people sign on and stay on for as long as possible, it starts to make sense to move the stuff a lot of people drop out because they can't hack it towards the end rather than the beginning. At my university we lose roughly half the CS and Comp. Eng. students in the first year because they ether don't want to do all the math or simply can't hack it.
>>
>>52015437

At my college when getting a cs major a math minor is required. Actually it's only 4 math classes short of having a double major.
>>
>>52016346
I agree with this.
>>
I suck at math still did ok at the algorithms module.

Tbh my module was all data structures (linked lists, triangular arrays etc) and graph work. Hardest thing was indexing a BST from 0..n-1
>>
>mfw graduated comp sci
>mfw don't even know how to work the tree data structure at a programming level

Those structures aren't really used often, riight?
>>
Ahahahahahaahahaha
You waste 3 years without knowing a single bit of math?
Ahahahahahahahahahah
>>
>>52015494
That's actually really good advice desu anon, you should give lectures.
>>
>>52015437
>software development
>math everywhere
anon you knew what awaited you, right?
>>
>>52017236
Really?
I had to implement trees my second year.
Hopefully you mean RB trees, but if you mean binary trees, man your uni was shit.
>>
>>52017311
He wanted to be a code monkey and there are plenty of schools that would teach him without math.
>>
This >>52015490

You should never take a programming course independently. If you are foolish enough to not take a math class alongside it, poo in the loo.
>>
>>52015555
agreed. It's just a matter of how much time you spend into it. I was a complete failure in algebra, because I didn't even know the basics. Now I understand everything I've done until now and I'm doing pretty good (CS 5th semester).

Always do your tasks and if you dont understand something dont skip it. try to figure it out or ask someone.
>>
File: 1311152111238.jpg (59 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1311152111238.jpg
59 KB, 500x500
>>52015437
>Why does no programming course ever made have a math prerequisite

Programming.
A path of learning which revolves around logic and reason.

Math.
The only science that is purely logic and reason.

>can't figure out why they're related.
stop being a fucking nigger and sort your shit the fuck out.
>>
>>52015437
If you have a solid foundation in logic and reasoning, then you should have been fine learning the math even if it was completely foreign to you.
>>
>>52015437
What do people consider college level math. Most CS people bonked out at calc 1 or 2. Math is easy as shit if you like it which for me meant saying fuck off to the teachers whenever they told me to keep going.
>>
>>52019420
In undergrad, basically the hardest math gets is with senior level real analysis or abstract algebra.
>>
trying to understand where all this math you guys speak of is useful. I've been rails dev for 2 years and all i do is write simple shit, making six figures. what else is out there that requires linear algebra?
>>
>>52015437
And exactly what kind of math are you talking about?

Math americans refer to as university level is shit europeans see halfway through high school.
>>
>>52019582
Yes but Europeans aren't free
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>52020561
>muh freedumbz
>lives in one of the shittiest, least free countries ever
>>
>>52015497
What? Biochem has the same amount of math as CS save for discrete math. Pchem is the equivalent of Algorithms, except that Pchem is two semesters instead of one.
>>
MFW people believe programming and math are different.
Never change Web devs, never change.
>>
>>52016706
> Proof by induction

This is the only math that i actually struggled with so far. I get the basic idea i just fall apart after the base case
>>
>>52019582
Yet there's not even remotely anything close to Silicon Valley in your refugee infested eurotrash freedomless shithole. Why's that?
>>
>>52015437
you failed because you thought you could become a competent software developer by merely learning how to put the lego blocks together into the shape you invisioned.

in reality, you need a general engineering foundation and the skills to properly plan such a machine before you ever build it. you are learning the same stuff in a 4 year degree that real engineers pick up in their spare time.
>>
Anonymous 12/24/15(Thu)11:47:48 No.52023236 ▶
>>52023107
also no, there's no mobility in IT. you just change companies every few years and try to negotiate a better rate for yourself

also go fuck yourself. you are solely responsible for your own success and failure.
>>
>>52015437
math didn't fail you. you failed to understand math.

should have spent more time studying good resources than you did getting high, and browsing the internet time sink websites.

fucking entitled cunts
>>
ayy, just become a network engineer/sysadmin you faget and work your way up
>>
Autists like you who can't do basic level university math don't deserve a CSE degree. How in the fuck do you expect to develop new algorithms without a developed understanding of mathematical concepts? People who lack this competence don't deserve to work for real companies in real jobs. Doing some meaningless job that doesn't require higher levels of thought is what gets you replaced by poo in the loo.
>>
>>52015437
My school required discrete structures in the first year.
>>
>>52023825
This.

Realized that programming wasn't for me so I went with networking instead. Good pay after a few years and especially if you take the CCIE.
>>
>>52015437

>Can't do math or even put in the effort to learn
>It's Pajeet's fault for my own failures

Wew you deserve it.
>>
I also dont understand why cs must be so harsh on mathematics. In hs I was learning basic algorithms with c++ and java and was required to take all classes plus the technical one(in my case IT). Anyways I finished my freshman year with almost 90% of my algorithms classes that only featured basic math and my mathematics subject almost failed. Im pretty fucking sure that you wont be required to perform extreme mathematical operations in your desk job, so why in the fuck would I need to learn this difficult shit? A monkey can learn how to program, you only need basic logic, you get that by reading books and solving random problems online.
>>
>>52015437
my community college did have a math prereq for intro to C++ but they removed it.
All you need to know is simply algebra
You could have taken high school level algebra at your uni, dropped the algo class, and stated in school
>>
Also, some colleges require the student to take physics course.......just why
>>
>>52024045
We are humans and not poo in loo monkeys... Even if they don't have a prerequisite, you should know it for your own sake.
>>
>>52024045
>why do universities want me to be a well-rounded, educated individual
>>
>>52024045

>Oh no I'm being forced to learn!

You were never gonna make it anyway.
>>
>>52024084
Yeah cool but we learn this shit in hs. getting to college means the student has at least minimum knowledge about every subject(otherwise he wouldnt be in college) so why retake it? It just consumes time.
>>
>>52024111
>>52024116
>implying we dont learn it in hs
>implying someone who gets into a good college has no knowledge on physics whatsoever

no wonder youre all cucks
>>
>>52024147
>>52024182
It's very likely that the physics courses you took in high school were a joke and didn't give you a solid foundation in the fundamentals of physics nor went into much detail. Maybe in your case, the teacher actually did a good job, but it's not very common.

I believe most universities allow you to skip physics if you score high enough on the appropriate AP exam.
>>
>>52024182

What are you on about kiddo? College physics was in no way similar as high school physics. For me hs physics involved doing a lot of stupid lab reports while college was a lot of 2 page math.

If you're complaining about taking physics you were never gonna make it in engineering, and you don't deserve to call yourself one if you can't get basic calculus.
>>
>>52024300
>he thinks everything is equal
>we all are from usa and study at the same college
>therefore im wrong and never gonna make it

Whatever man, really. I was only relating my problem, and its somewhat close to the op's.

merry christmas.
>>
>>52024350
Did you really cover physics in high school with the same rigor and depth as a proper university does?
>>
>>52023987
because computer science is not the application of algorithms or the memorization of syntax, or even the basic understanding of data structures.

computer science is how to turn mathematical concepts into the stuff you use to build programs. it requires smarts, not just wrote memorization, or being a little bit persistent or clever.

>a monkey can learn to program
Precisely.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.