[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slackware.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: IE.jpg (67 KB, 719x960) Image search: [Google]
IE.jpg
67 KB, 719x960
Aside from familiarity for some users, is there any actual reason to be using Slackware at this point?

Picture unrelated.
>>
>>52009664
I don't understand this IE is slow meme. I've never had a problem with it's speed. I've used it, Firefox, and chrome and haven't noticed any speed differences.
>>
>>52009744
I've had plenty of problems regarding IE's speed, but that's just me.
>>
>>52009744
It got a lot better in the later versions. Towards the end the main problems with IE were bad memories and a lack of good extensions.
>>
If you just like things to just work and don't care about the being on the bleeding edge or whatnot. Slackware was the last distro I used after distro hopping for quite some bit.
>>
>>52009744
I remember years and years ago that IE6 was quite a bit faster than Firefox 1.5. Then again that's pretty much meaningless because IE6 basically ignored standards and rendered things completely wrong most of the time. Had Microsoft followed standards the results would probably have been much closer
>>
>>52009664
Pretty sure familiarity is it. Debian/RHEL derivatives like Ubuntu, centos etc cover pretty much everything, and little specialty distros fill in remaining usages.
>>
To answer OP's question Slackware is basically a "pure" Linux distro. The packages and OS are "untouched"(ie few modifications compared to upstream). Unlike other Linux distros the configuration is still handled largely by plain text files which might be attractive to people that prefer it done that way. Contrary to popular belief slackware does in fact have a package manager but it does not handle dependencies, it only installs what you tell it to install which might be attractive to people that don't want "bloated" packages on their machine.

People that want complete control of their OS might want slackware.
>>
>>52009664
there are no reasons.
the only thing to be gained from the ancient packages is stability, and if you want stability, you would use debian or openbsd
>>
>>52010093
Thanks for the very informative answer, Anon.
>>
>>52010380
Also, no systemd.
>>
>>52009744

IE is actually faster than Chrome these days

FF has best font rendering

Chrome is just generally a cancer that all 'web devs' make shitty sites that break in every other browser kind of browser, kind of linke IE6 but back then we didn`t have web standards.
>>
>>52011957
That's pretty edgy, son.

What's wrong, you can't into HTML5 compliance?
>>
>>52009664
If you use Redhat, you learn Redhat.
If you use Debian, you learn Debian.
If you use Slackware, you learn Linux.
>>
>>52012023
>everything that I disagree with is "edgy"
I want Reddit to leave
>>
>>52010093
>>52012089

Arch does this better. There is no reason to use slackware.
>>
>>52009664
>>
>>52013017
>WHAT DO WE WANT?
>YOUR DATA
>>
>>52010116
the packages are not ancient retard. have you even looked?
>>
>>52013333
Quads don't lie.
>>
>>52012882
>better
>enabling features the actual developers disabled because they're not ready yet
>we're more upstream than upstream
>better
Posted from my Arch machine.
>>
>>52009744
IE literally takes 10 seconds to allow me to use it (activate the URL bar) and load my homepage from a cold start. This is on an I7 machine. Pale meme literally loads everything within <1 second
>>
File: HD Animals_ happy cat.jpg (42 KB, 418x467) Image search: [Google]
HD Animals_ happy cat.jpg
42 KB, 418x467
>>52012882
If you use Arch, you learn Arch.
If you use Slackware, you learn Linux.
There is no reason to use arch.
>>
File: 0002.gif (18 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0002.gif
18 KB, 128x128
>>52009664
Slackware is stable as fuck.
Slackware gives me control over my own computer.
>>
>>52014425
There can be no reason to hunt down your dependancies
>>
>>52014880
What if you're time is worthless or you have too much of it?
I've read the slackware section on LQ a few times and these people come across as very much these kinds of people.
>>
>>52014880
Typing a command to install a package is too hard for you then why are you using Linux?
>>
>>52014880
You can install other package managers if you don't want to do that. Slapt-get has identical functionality and syntax to apt-get, pkgsrc is another popular package manager used on slackware.

http://pbraun.nethence.com/unix/sysutils_linux/slackware_pkgsrc.html
>>
>>52014913
It's not for everyone. The average person needs a hand holding distribution more similar to windows or osx like Ubuntu.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.