[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favourite programming language and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 9
File: kUizTX1.png (16 KB, 502x438) Image search: [Google]
kUizTX1.png
16 KB, 502x438
What is your favourite programming language and why?
>>
>>51995761
>>
>>52006499
Html because its the only one i barely know
>>
Xml
>>
>>52006499
JavaScript first language I learned. Besides html/CSS.
>>
>>52006499
didn't we have this thread already?
>>
>>52006609
>html
>programming language

pick one
>>
PHP because it makes autists angry
>>
>>52006609
not a programming language buddy kys or get off g or lrn2progurm pls lmaop jus kiddg senpai ily and you should expand tha bran wit more knowledge of programming languages i suggest staritn wit java if u r stoppid or c if u whanna do it right ok bye
>>
>>52007008
>muh c
C is easier than Java newfag
>>
>>52006499
public class Main{
public static void main(String[] args){
StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
String[] dank = String[]{"J", "v", "a"};
int[] memes = new int[]{0,2,1,2};
for(int i = 0; i < memes.length; i++){
sb.append(dank[memes[i]]);
}
System.out.println(sb.toString());
}
}
>>
C because it's pure.
>>
Swift ofc
>>
Python. Because it's the only one I know...
>>
>>52006499
I like C++, but I use Python the most.
>>
Python
Having to reverse engineer decompiled Java at my last job made me seriously appreciate any kind of abstraction and simple interface
>>
Python because I can fucking love NINJA-IDE.

Otherwise Java.
>>
File: image_0.jpg (99 KB, 680x471) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
99 KB, 680x471
>>52006499
Why does this code exist? It's not sorting anything and the check explicitly gives you the answer. It should at the very least pragmatically sort the word in alphabetical order given an input string even if the string isn't typewritter. Otherwise just print the output that you check for.

This code shouldn't even exist as a joke. Fuck you this thread is gay
>>
File: huskykorma.png (65 KB, 267x383) Image search: [Google]
huskykorma.png
65 KB, 267x383
>>52006499

Just started learning Haskell, it's pretty elegant
>>
>>52006499
C#, it makes programming fun again.
>>
>>52006499
I remember this post
>>
I like Haskell and Agda.
>>
>>52007585

this
>>
assembly because i have autism
>>
>>52007585
How so?
>>
>>52006499
Although it's a markup language and isn't a programming language as such, I found great pleasure in using LaTeX during University. I never get the chance to use it nowadays though...
>>
I like C#.
>>
javascript

>them closures
>those beautiful asynchronous feels
>>
File: brainfuck.jpg (34 KB, 574x312) Image search: [Google]
brainfuck.jpg
34 KB, 574x312
Brainfuck.

>There are people who unironically program in C when brainfuck exists
It may have been born as a joke language, but it's SO FUCKING GOOD HOLY SHIT
>>
>>52007419

You must be fun at parties. Heard of a joke?
>>
>>52006499
Common Lisp, macros
>>
>>52006722
>xml
>programming language
kill yourself
>>
>>52007083
100% agree
>>
>>52006499
Python because even a baby can use it
>>
Ruby because it's amazing.
>>
File: 1373969483852.png (92 KB, 333x334) Image search: [Google]
1373969483852.png
92 KB, 333x334
>>52006499
>dat sort
Us coders, amirite?
>>
>>52006499
>Extra credit:
Give this code to a desperate CS freshman just learning how to program and being tasked with a sorting problem.
>>
Javascript.
I know it's babby's first language but I enjoy writing it and I haven't found the need to learn a lower level language yet.
>>
>>52007419

A better bad implementation is possible. Sorting can be checked in linear time. A randomizer could work lets say in linear time.

The probability of a random string of length n matching the correct sorted string is at worst n!/n so (n-1)!.

So we got a pretty good O(n!) sorting algorithm here.
>>
python, because it allows the most elegant implementation for fizzbuzz and printing star patterns that I've found so far

other languages just take far too much effort and boilerplate for fizzbuzz applications
>>
>>52007419

I thought this at first, that any rational programmer would go: This function looks like it works for any set length n, why not just compare the unicode values and sort them in that order...

But then I realized its a joke on noobies who actually code circular faulty logic like that
>>
>>52009362
if it took you that long you should quit programming
>>
the random part of that code gives me a better idea: take the length of the input string and then generate a random string of the same length. repeatedly check the result against "eeiprrttwy"
>>
>>52006499
C
Very powerful but still not as low level as assembly
>>
C#. It was the first language I learned and it served as a launchpad to easily pick up other languages.
>>
>>52008024
that actualy looks rather simple.
I may try to pick this up.
It also seems fun when you can say"Im learning to brainfuck" when people ask you what you are doing these days.
>>
Clojure. Because the challenge of learning it is fun since its so different from other languages that I know.
>>
>>52007083
What does that even mean?
>>
File: 1385726067352.gif (844 KB, 298x291) Image search: [Google]
1385726067352.gif
844 KB, 298x291
C
I learned it first, it makes sense, it flows like a river, it's not doing extra shit I can't see

every good experience I have with programming was born in C, my enjoyment of programming was born in C, every thought/curiosity about maths was in C
I like vaguely like Java swing, it's handy, C# classes are a neat idea

it could have easily been different, I don't know if I would have preferred C coming from a Java background, probably not, almost definitely not

there are definite advantages to C, and definite advantages to other languages
I am most comfortable with C
>>
I used to like C exclusively but I learned about lisp and use both. Lisp is quite different from what I was accustomed to.
>>
>>52006499
Java.
>be me
>be teaching assistant for a software class in Java
>read 40 projects every week, at least a quarter of which make my eyes bleed
>be masochist
>thisIsOK.png
>deeply love my job although I've seen some nasty fucking shit
>>
>>52006982
It sure as fuck is making me angry. Please die.
>>
>>52009670
Basically featureless.
>>
>>52007154
>Swift
This
>>
>>52011949

3rd yr cs student here, we've done java for the past two years and there's still ppl going into 4th year now that can't write a basic if statement condition
>>
>>52013317
You picked a Java-school, what did you expect.
>>
>>52013317

Those are people that will switch to graphic design or become bus drivers. You'll see it in any language. They never work with the language on their own time, and they'll never have a decent portfolio to get hired with.
>>
>>52006499
Welp

String s = "typewriter";
while(!(s = randomSort(s)).equals("eeiprrttwy")) ;
System.out.println(s);
>>
Matlab
>>
PHP
>>52013788
>>
don't really have one, all languages suck in one way or another
i use python for short scripts, golang for web backends, and generally like fucking around with functional languages
>>
Python because it's simple and elegant.
>>
Python because I'm a lazy person.
>>
>>52006499

Bash scripting. Does everything I need to do, besides Web stuff
>>
File: subway.jpg (70 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
subway.jpg
70 KB, 800x450
>>52006499
For Linux, I love python.

For windows, I love C# because I can compile my low level shit like inline assembly with C to a dll and call with interop services within C#.
>>
All I know is Python and C++
Everyone is telling me I wasted my time learning them instead of Java of Node, fuck me.
>>
>>52007083
Lisp is the purest
>>
>>52006780
Yes but it got deleted so we are having it again

If you don't like it go to reddit
>>
>>52009308
That's bogosort
>>
>>52014573
Node is a meme and will die soon.
>>
assembler or go home
>>
Java
>>
>>52013816
>biting the bait
>>
>>52014909
Enjoy rewriting all your software for every architecture
>>
>>52013816
>actually trying to implement this properly
>still using randomSort
>>
>>52008976
This code was probably written by a freshman.
>>
>>52006499
HTML
>>
>>52006499
C. It's on the point, versatile and widespread.
>>
>>52015250
C, low level, brittle, unsafe.
>>
>>52006499
C and Haskell, because I live for elegance
>>
>>52015886
>C
>Elegant
Pick one.
>>
>>52008024
It's actually really easy to implement brainfuck in C (or any similiar language). Just gotta use relays for the cell positions.
>>
File: unnamed (7).png (10 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (7).png
10 KB, 100x100
>>52006499
Ruby because cool logo.
>>
>>52015982
Oops, meant arrays.
>>
>>52015889
m8 have you seen the size of languages nowadays? look at java and c++ and then compare to the simplicity and consistency of C.

that is elegance.
>>
>>52015889
C is the most elegant language there is
>>
>>52016024
>simplicity =/= elegance
C is a fragile language that leaves you inches from annihilation at all times.
>>
>>52008024
https://gist.github.com/shangaslammi/3438688
>>
Is there something wrong with me if i feel C++ is easier than java
>>
>>52011949
Where do you live?
>>
>>52016085
Not really. The .h .cpp separation is the only thing that bothers me about C++ now. And some of the quirks of templates.
>>
>>52016225
java feels cluttered and has alot of sequences to memorize

Does me doing VBA before C++ or Java affect this
>>
>>52016246
Well, you also have to remember lots of weird c++ snippets. erase-remove, unary_operator classes, the whole process of creating a templates class with virtual methods, standard library weirdness like literally everything in std::chrono...

And the namespace issues the language has are also pretty terrible. In no other language do people expect you to always type the entire namespace of any function, class or constant except in C++. Event PHP does that better now.

But yeah, Java also has its fair share of problems. If you want the best of both worlds, C# is always available. It's now running officially on Loonix and OS X.
>>
None, they are all shit.
Feel free to try to change my mind tho.
>>
>>52016286
>In no other language do people expect you to always type the entire namespace of any function, class or constant
What is auto and using?
>>
>>52008024
How many lines you think a BF OS would be?
>>
>>52007419
Hahaha yeah, at first I though
>why not pass the string as an input argument?
Then I saw the bit about simply returning the right value and realized the meme
>>
Currently existing: C. Simple, clean and elegant. No tricks no bullshit.

But something magical is in the works
>>
>>52006499
C mostly, been learning largely about Unix interfaces such as sockets and tmpfs for IPC, since I just started using Debian.

Current projects include:

Calculator which takes a string as it's argument, currently just able to do simple things such as "5/3", plan on adding recursion to be able to calculate things more complex involving multiple statements.

Also working on a software fan controller, already have one built using an Atmel chip but I'm trying to write a program to communicate with it over my comp's serial port to send control values.
>>
>>52017321
>But something magical is in the works
That's MY line.
>>
>>52006499
Haskell because it's fun and intuitive. Closest thing to doing math irl.
>inb4 intuitive? only if you have brain damage
It's a beautiful language. What can I say?
>>
>>52017321
The D?
>>
>>52017462
Admit you got brain damage.
>>
>>52017505
Lol. 10/10 made me chuckle. I have brain damage.
>>
>>52016225
.h and .cpp separation is great when you are working on big projects with a lot of public functions and global variables
>>
>>52007323
Java ,and .NET Have the same problem
>>
I love C# but still went for the Java road because I expected more money (which was a damn wise decision in hindsight).
As weird as it sounds, now I prefer Java for everything besides desktop applications: winforms remains unmatched in easiness and development speed, WPF remains unmatched in power and expression.
When I say Java though, I actually mean Spring (boot). Making web applications with the Spring suite feels so damn right.
There is not a single piece of non specialized code I need to write it, with Spring and Hibernate, even the most complicated business requirements can be elegantly implemented in a low amount of readable code.
Once you got your head wrapped around the spring way everything clicks.
For every general problem I ever wanted to solve, Spring already offers a complete alternative.
One click and my web application is deployed to my tomcat via eclipse->git->hudson->tomcat.
It doesn't get easier than this.
>>
I do word, excel and CSS xDDDD
>>
javascript, not even kidding

quite literally the only language that just works™
>>
>>52011949
Hi floens :)
>>
>>52017582
Are you practicing for an interview? No ones going to fall for this shilling.
>>
>>52017660
It's a Spring consultant thing, you wouldn't understand.
>>
I like the IEC 61131 languages
>>
There's a programming language that is literally just lua sideways. so
function hello(name) 
print("hello %s\n":format(name))
end

becomes
f e
u n
npd
cr
ti
in
ot
n(
"
hh
ee
ll
ll
oo
(
n%
as
m\
en
)"
:
f
o
r
m
a
t
(
n
a
m
e
)

I forget what its called though
>>
>>52017462
>Closest thing to doing math irl.
>no subtyping
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>52009328
> toy language is great for toy applications!
No shit Sherlock.
>>
SQL, because i like databases.
I was originally an English literature major, and switched over to CS when i realized English majors don't get jobs. I feel lost in this vast and complicated world of technology, so i'm clinging to the only thing i really understand: databases.
I mean i understand basic programming (loops, conditions, classes, all that shit), but im not able to create anything useful like a GUI or an actual useful application that people would use for something. the use in databases is obvious though: gotta store all your data somewhere :^) maybe i should just become a web developer. i'm alright at PHP.
>>
C++ because I learned it first and it gives you a lot of control.
I don't mind having to be anal about code.
But I'm not a very experienced programmer yet so maybe this will change.

I learned to program with C++ in vim, so switching to an IDE with Java was nuts, I can program more complex data structures in no time at all..
>>
>>52006499
C#.
It's like Java but less retarded. It's like someone actually thought about what programmers actually wanted and then put some of it in a language.

although, I mostly end up writing small shit with C++, even things I should probably just use a scripting language for
>>
File: Friends.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Friends.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>52006499
I'm probably about to piss off a lot of you guys.
But what is the point of multiple programming languages, and how many of them should I learn?
>>
C++/CX
C++/CLI
Because I'm a professional software engineer and I like to use languages that I can get paid for.
>>
>>52009873
are you me?
>>
>>52019628
everything in engineering is a tradeoff, and so are decisions made for programming languages
some problems require one side of the tradeoff, others require the other side
you learn languages on demand and when you are interested in something
>>
>>52019628
a programming language is just a tool to do a job. like different kinds of tools to build a wooden table or whatever. one tool might be great at working with one type of wood but awful with another. same with programming languages. you wouldnt want to use a web-centric language/framework for embedded systems programming and you wouldn't want to use assembly or C to write a web site.
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.