[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dual Psu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: main.jpg (59 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
59 KB, 600x580
Made this thread yesterday nobody gave any good advice.
ill ask again is dual psu worth it
>>
For what purpose? Massive SLI / Xfire or RAID array set up? Its nice to have for redundancy but unless you need more connections, a single PSU with ample wattage is fine. Beyond 1000w go for any 80+ platinum.
>>
File: Fag magician.png (102 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Fag magician.png
102 KB, 512x512
>>52002494
with what purpose?
>>
any good advice
>>
>>52002525
>>52002519
im cheap as fuck and my 500w psu isnt enough for oc and sli so would getting this adapter and a 430w~ be fine? im gonna use the second psu for the gpu power
>>
Austin Evans made it work on his Scrapyard Wars PC with LTT
>>
>>52002713
true i guess ill try it
>>
>>52002494
An alternative is to get a few cheap xbox 360 200w adapters and dedicate those for graphics. They do 195w at 12v and 10w on 5v i believe.
>>
>>52002653
it could work...
>>
>>52002653
Watt isn't everything.
It's most likely that your PSU have too little amps per rail this suffocating your hardware.
>>
I'd say so but my setup isn't really conventional. I decided not to bother with a case for my tri-crossfire setup so dual PSUs isn't an issue. For something as small as going dual SLI it probably isn't worth it as there's plenty to choose from when it comes to 800w power supplies that are good. There's less choice for 1200w+, at least when I was building my PC. There's more now though.

What I like about having dual PSUs though is that once I sell my extra cards I can easily use the extra PSU I have in another build
>>
File: Capture.png (43 KB, 663x527) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
43 KB, 663x527
>>52003912
pretty sure this consumes a lot of power
>>
>>52004412
for 500w psu i should say
>>
>>52004412
>Two low tier GPU cards that are very low wattage and a regular AMD with broken temp sensor.
No, not really.
How many amps does the PSU have?
>>
>>52004467
40 i think
its an evga 500w
>>
>>52004518
>How many horse power does it got?
>400 I think it's a Ford (Ka)

Brand and watt does not mean the amps are enough.
I've seen 500W PSUs with weak enough amps that it wouldn't even be able to run a 8800GTX.
>>
>>52004579
i just checked the website chill out
im just wondering if this will solve my problem without buying an expensive psu
>>
>>52004608
Well, I'm trying to help you so you understand that watt isn't everything that matters.
It might not be your PSU crapping out since 500W is more than enough for that rig if you have a good enough PSU that is.

If you're having system stability problems try looking at mobo or ram first.
>>
>>52004642
im using the pc as i type it only crashes when intense shit happens in games it never crashed when using one card so im assuming that my psu is weak so im wondering if i get a psu to power the gpus that i will have the ability to overclock my cpu and have a stable pc
>>
>>52004694
Swap graphic cards and see if it's one card that is failing.
What games does it crash in, or does it do it in all demanding games?
>>
>>52004791
ive tried single cards each they both work.
sli and it crashes even worse if i oc the cpu to 4.6 so the cpu is at 3.5 right now
>>
>>52004832
Have you checked the rated amp yet?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-geforce-gtx-960-strix-2-way-sli-review,8.html

>Measured power consumption GTX 960 2-way SLI
>System in IDLE = 123 Watts
>System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 346 Watts
>>
File: Capture2.png (21 KB, 844x171) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
21 KB, 844x171
>>52004894
pretty sure cpu consumes like 200w at 4.5~
>>
>>52002653
Why not just buy a better PSU?
Where are you even going to put a second PSU?
>>
>>52005007
i just want a cheap solution and my case has space
>>
>>52004960
>This setup is overclocked to 4.60 GHz on all cores. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results).

>System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 346 Watts
That's The 6 core (12 thread) i7-3960X.

That's 346 Watt including TWO 960 and an OC'd hexa core i7.
>>
>>52005064
my cpu consumes like 200w is what im saying
>>
>>52002653
Well A dual GPU configurations aren't worth it

and B quick being retarded
>>
I used to do this back when GPU mining was a thing. It works very well, just make sure you're not retarded
>>
>>52002653

> getting a second PSU for a second GPU

kek/10
>>
>>52005327
really? could you give some tips
>>
>>52005370
Dunno if there's much to say really. Just don't do obvious stuff like combining different rails to power the same device. You don't need a overpriced cable to start the second psu though. If you have a dedicated psu for your second gpu, just flick that one on after the rest of the pc. The sense cables on the PSUs don't have to touch eachother or other fancy stuff
>>
>>52005437
I feel the cable will help me turn off my pc and im gonna use the second psu to power both cards
>>
>>52005437
Wouldn't you want to turn the second one on before the first?
>>
>>52005507
Can't say for sure on modern GPUs, but on the AMD HD 5xxx series that would just throw the second gpu into some sorta failure/testmode and make the fans spin at 100%. I started the PC normally and flicked the powerswitch on the secondary PSUs before it booted. From my experience it didn't matter in post whether or not the second GPU was on
>>52005494
If you don't feel comfortable turning on the second PSU manually you could easily loop the sense and ground cable on the PSUs to do the same thing
>>
bait thread is bait thread
>>
>>52005494
If you're powering both gpus on the same psu you would definetly need to have them both turn on at the same time. Buy the cable
>>
>>52002494
>Made this thread yesterday nobody gave any good advice.
That's because yesterday I already said you're being a moron. Guess what that still hasn't changed today either. Go be stupid somewhere else.
>>
twice the power eh
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.