[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/circle-w ith-disney-is-your-best-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/circle-with-disney-is-your-best-defense-against-172405529.html

What are your thoughts on this child monitoring box Disney created? Is it necessary?
>>
Makes me realize how fortunate I am to not be a kid of this generation. New parenting styles are terrible.
>>
>>52002048
So its a repeater with baby's first firewall on it?

Wew lad so innovative.
>>
necessary? of course not
kids got raised without it for millenia, they don't need it.
>>
>>52002268
>Filter Level
>Teen

I thought this stuff was for young children, not teenagers. Are there really parents, who are not pedophiles, who want to know every website their teenager is browsing?
>>
>>52002352
Yes.
They're called teenaged parents.
>>
>When kids are little, this is relatively easy. But as they get older, it gets increasingly difficult. By the time they’re full-blown teenagers, it can turn into all-out war (which you will probably lose).

Not if they don't want to sleep in the goddamn basement and have no Internet access for a month, they won't.
I'm the parent, that means my will is law.
>>
>>52002466

You mean teenagers with children? I didn't think they could even afford internet for their kids, or have a child old enough to use internet before they get out of their teenage years.
>>
>>52002352
I work for a company that also makes a parental control product, and the angle we use for teens is usually not about blocking, but about using the feature that just monitors and sends them usage reports.

What we're trying for:

>hey Billy and Susan I saw ya been going on tiddy sites and telling strangers about where ya go to school, that's not safe, I'm not here to bust ya just to prevent you from getting viruses or raped or van'd

What we're not

>caught you little fucks going on bad sites, I'm gonna smack you with a belt if you do that again, this is why mom doesn't love you
>>
>>52002507
come on it's 2015
>>
>>52002515

But do parents get to see these messages and use their own discretion? That's the problem I have, because it doesn't prevent a parent from responding in such a negative way after all. Then they reach the point where they're just sadistically watching their child's every movement on the web when I think it really needs to be used only to the point where you can trust your child enough to not post his address on nekked lady sites.
>>
>>52002584
We can't make the parent react in any way, I wish we could but if they wanna be a dick to their kids we can't stop them.

All of the messaging INSIDE the app that's intended for kids is friendly and safety oriented ( "ChildName, this app isn't right for us"), and reports aren't detailed enough to pull say, Facebook posts or texts (just that they went to Facebook or used the SMS app), so a child can use their phone to tell a friend "my parents are fucking lunatics" and the parents won't know.

But yeah, not perfect.
>>
>>52002628

I appreciate that it's at least not detailed. Nothing can stop a parent blocking Facebook from their kid. At least it's discouraged well enough to not do this to a teenager, as well as GPS monitoring and general helicopter parenting.
>>
>>52002740
>At least it's discouraged well enough to not do this to a teenager, as well as GPS monitoring and general helicopter parenting.

I knew someone like this back in middle school. Guy was literally Butters in real life. High school came around and he was so confused, it's like he tried to imitate his older and out-of-touch parents and their mannerisms, but was as dumb as a baby. He wasn't autistic, he was just completely inexperienced. Graduation hit and he just completely disappeared. Someone I knew kept in touch with him, however, and he lost his mind for a while and did a lot of unlearning. Fucked up childhood, but he's doing better. This is the guy I think of whenever I think of shitty parents because i saw how much it fucked up this kid.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.