[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Another Plan 9 thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: Plan9bunnysmblack_0.jpg (4 KB, 190x222) Image search: [Google]
Plan9bunnysmblack_0.jpg
4 KB, 190x222
Will keep posting these as long as it takes for some kind of actual momentum to form behind this OS

Summary for new people: Plan 9 is the evolution of the UNIX operating system and should have been what we were using instead of Ganoob Lunix
>>
Last thread >>51929505
>>
We took some stuff from Plan 9 to Linux.

>Torvalds: "Well, one of the obvious long-time influences has been the conceptual reliance on straight ASCII as a portable and readable way to show information. This is perhaps most visible in the /proc and /sys filesystems. While legacy Unix also had a /proc thing, it was more of a binary interface, while Linux is more like Plan 9, believing that ASCII interfaces are good.
>"The kernel also internally supports the notion of filesystem “namespaces,” which is another Plan 9-like feature. You can think of it as the ability to do per-process mount maps, where different processes actually can see a different organization of the filesystem. It’s not actually used all that much, since it’s not a feature that people are used to, but it does reflect the common belief among Linux developers that the Plan 9 people had “good taste.”"

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/102/
>>
Dennis Ritchie using Plan 9 in 2002 through a program drawterm on Windows NT.

https://anders.unix.se/2015/10/28/screenshots-from-developers--unix-people-2002/
>>
File: dmr_screenshot.gif (427 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
dmr_screenshot.gif
427 KB, 1280x1024
Hmm this is an image board
>>
now THIS is a meme OS.
>>
i'm really tempted to put Plan 9 on the home server I'm building. Aside from the dank maymay, what's the benefit of using it on a single computer and not taking advantage of the whole "networked OS with shared resources" concept?
>>
>>51996939
There is no advantage. What do you plan to do with the server?

If you want to use the plan 9 utilities, just get plan9port for GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51996939
No advantage, like >>51996972 said, unless you're a hobbyist who genuinely likes to try out new things.

In any case, don't install plan 9 from Bell Labs, install 9front, which is far superior.
>>
>>51997015
i do genuinely like to try out new things. i was also thinking of trying Free/OpenBSD.

>>51996972
dlna, mpd, icecast, torrents, some web stuffs, and eventually this thing i'm building
>>
>>51997074
none of these were ever ported to plan 9 im afraid
>>
>>51997074
NetBSD doesn't get as much attention as the others but you might like that as well.
>>
>>51996841
Admit it, the word meme has lost all meaning on this site
>>
why is /g/ full of fun hating faggots?

first people complain about homescreen/desktop/battlestation threads.
then people complain about gnunet/ipfs/plan9 threads. Those are just the most recent trends that happened.

Now, how does plan9/9front run on a Sun ultra 5? It's the only machine I have now without an os.
>>
>>51996538
>Will keep posting these as long as it takes for some kind of actual momentum to form behind this OS

>on /g/
>expecting /g/ to fix the problem

OK, maybe you are actually an anti-Plan 9 poster, OP, but in case you don't know, here is what will happen:

- Plan 9 will get a new logo.
- Development will halt and the project will eventually die. Potentially with lots of bitching and transfurry side projects involved.
>>
Any exposure would be good for p9 at the moment

It's not like people are going to start switching over from Linux any time soon, even awareness is good
>>
File: blaubar.png (339 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
blaubar.png
339 KB, 500x351
Dear /g/,

Do you want to get in at the ground on a project that has been failing to take off since 1992?

No, what about a community that openly mocks Code of Conducts?

http://9front.org/coc (multiple versions of this, refresh the page)

A community where every release is cryptically memed hard enough that you aren't entirely sure if it's a release or another kind of news.

http://9front.org/releases/

Just try and browse their website. To most people this website would seem like terrible design, completely unable to figure out what's going on. Can you make sense of their website?

http://9front.org/

It all starts here.

Love from,
someone who is not stupid enough to use this meme OS.
>>
>>51999809
>making a mockery of CoC's
>bad
hello reddit
>>
Maybe it's not obvious but that was one of the selling points.
>>
>>51999809
>I need a code of conduct so that my delicate little feelings don't get hurt

Kill yourself back to reddit, cucklord.
>>
Footer:
> You are niggers, not scientists. -- terry

/g/ this is the OS you've been waiting for. It's some brilliant combination of UNIX autism and networking personality disorder.
>>
>>51999809
>>51999859
>>51999928
Guys mocking the CoC was meant to be a benefit. Maybe that wasn't obvious but stop all making the same mistake.
>>
Plan 9 bump
>>
>>51999999
>>52000000 who are you
>>
>>51999809
Are you that fucking stupid that you are put off using a superior piece of technology because the people who work on it don't agree with your anus-level politics? Kill yourself my woman
>>
>>51999809

Little did you know, /g/ users are like moderate muslims.

By criticizing these values you have radicalized us against you.
>>
>>52000252
Didn't read

>>52000322
People who call themselves moderate muslims are outlaws who should be locked up.
>>
9FRONT CODE OF CONDUCT

1. A 9front may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow
a human being to come to harm.

2. A 9front must obey the orders given it by human beings, except
when it conflicts with the first law.

3. A 9front must protect its own existence as long as such protection
does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

9front is so godtier, its like 4chan os.
>>
what's the difference between 9base and plan9port?
>>
File: 9timesync01.png (1 MB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
9timesync01.png
1 MB, 500x579
>>52000553
9base looks like it is mostly, more basic programs. plan9port is more about the larger tools, like sam and acme. From what I can tell at least, I have used neither extensivley, mostly just p9p for sam and compilers.
>>
>>52000737
yeah, seems mostly like the standard shell utilities, thanks anon
>>
>>51996538
Ganoob Lunix ported the good parts out of plan9. Unless you are running a cluster of some sorts (which linux can do just fine) there is literally no reason to use such an obscure OS.
>>
File: bullshit.png (26 KB, 569x544) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.png
26 KB, 569x544
>>51999809

Their bullshit command is perfect for generating startup ideas.
>>
>>52000824
i like theo better
>>
>>52000851
>>52000824
They are both just fortune directed at different files. You can creat your own if you like.
>>
What is Plan9 better than Gentoo at?
>>
>>52000867
i know but theo has the better fortune file
>>
>>52000870
not having drivers
>>
>>52000874
I cannot disagree.

>>52000870
It is easier and faster to install, if it works.
You probably get fewer viruses, and fewer casual attackers can get into your system.
It has a better mascot.
But neither have xorg when you first install.
>>
>>52000870
it doesn't work
>>
>>52000945
>I have run Plan9 and 9front on my laptop sans VM.
>>
Plan 9 supports SMP, right?

Thinking of shoving it on a NetBurst space heater
>>
>>51997184
Ok. I admit it.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.