[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree that the Chromecast is an essential must have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: Black_Chromecast_in_TV.0.0.jpg (108 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Black_Chromecast_in_TV.0.0.jpg
108 KB, 1600x900
Can we all agree that the Chromecast is an essential must have technology item?
>>
>>51994775
Why?
>>
chromecast a shit
it doesn't support 10-bit video
you can't watch video from local sources without jumping through hoops
everything has a caveat
you're much better off making a HTPC and plugging it to your TV instead of this trash
>>
>>51994775
Meh. I have a Fire TV Stick and use it exclusively for Kodi.
>>
My dad has one, I use it to watch netflix on his tv. On my tv I can just plug in a usb and play files and use the ps3.
>>
>>51994775
It's aiight
>>
>>51994775

Or you could just run a cable from your computer to your TV.
>>
>>51994775
I don't have one for two reasons:
>I want to play able to play movies from my NAS
>I have a Windows Phone
I just have a computer with a wireless kb/touchpad combo hooked up to the tv.
>>
>>51994812
This.
>>
>>51994836

I used to do that but the graphics card would be working it ass off even when I didn't have the pc selected as input on the tv
>>
>>51994775
no

I'll admit I got my friend one so we can watch YouTube and Netflix on his TV, but getting anything besides that's it's a pain. For watching a real movie he has to still use his laptop, and the real solution is having an actual computer running Kodi or something of that sort.
>>
Nexus Player with Kodi is what I have, best thing
>>
>>51994775

daily reminder google is botnet and the world's largest advertising company

enjoy getting your butthole mined to hell if using a google product
>>
Raspberry pi 2 with both kodi and plex installed mustard race reporting in.
>>
Why wouldn't you just run Kodi?
>>
Is there a way to use kodi from a roku 3? I have plex channel but it's shit when it comes to streaming content compared to the genesis plug-in on kodi.
>>
>>51994775
I bought one for my mum for her birthday and she seems to really like it.
I couldn't see myself every using one though: it can't play my 10-bit animu and I have a TV connected to my computer anyway.
>>
I have Kodi on my Odroid C1 and with "play to Kodi" extension I do the same shit.
>>
Question for any Ausfags:
My parents are finally sick of Rupert Murdoch's shit and they're planning to get rid of Foxtel.

What's the best HTPC or Dongle solution for Netflix (and maybe HDD) playback that tech-illiterate baby boomers could easily use in my absence?
>>
>muh 10 bit

more retarded than flac
>>
>>51994775
>must have
I've had a chromecast since last year and I haven't touched it at all.

What's so must have about it?
>>
>>51994812
Me also
>>
>>51994869
Just unplug it?
>>
>>51994775
what does it do?
>>
>>51994775
There are chink android stick that allow you to do anything on them while being cheaper.
So no Chromecast is not essential.
>>
>>51995225
it streams
>>
>>51995256
what? netflix? youtube i would guess also
how is that essential? how does it compete to a simple HTPC, like a pi running openelec?
>>
>>51994775

Is there any chinese version with full chromecast compatibility/functionality?
>>
For a ninckapoop sure
>>
>>51994775
Nope. Bad design. Routes everything through a gimped as fuck Chrome frame, botnet, only works with things Google wants it to, needs a device to stream from, doubles the load on the local wifi.

Basically, it's a stopgap for people who stream and have great internet with plenty of overhead but somehow don't have a smart TV in 2015
>>
>>51995271
>what?
everything
>>
>>51995321
like?
the only streaming i do is from youtube, everything else is local media
>>
>>51994818
I can watch netflix on my tv without a chromecast
I can also watch shit directly from a usb (albeit only with basic subtitle capabilities, so I don't get to know who's talking by subtitle outline color = hair color)
>>
>>51994775
>Black_Chromecast_in_TV.0.0.jpg
Oh I get it
because the arm is black
>>
It is not for everyone, its just for people without a Smart TV.
>>
>>51994805
Oh ya you cant connect it directly to your devices wirelessly. Requires a wifi network to work with it
>>
>family traveling to go to graduation
>hang out to watch a movie in hotel
>nobody has any cables to hook a laptop up to the tv
>go to target, find chromecasts that are somehow cheaper than fucking hdmi cables and displayport adapters
>buy one, go back
>plug it in to tv
>it needs to join a wifi network so try the hotel's wifi
>nope.jpg, hotel's wifi is not password-protected but it has one of those redirect things that you have to accept terms and conditions to use internet
>chromecast can't handle those
>

wtf google
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.