[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Arch Linux respect my privacy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: arch-linux-install-001.jpg (42 KB, 640x481) Image search: [Google]
arch-linux-install-001.jpg
42 KB, 640x481
Does Arch Linux respect my privacy?
>>
>>51985527
No, it hangs out in the dark corner of your room, smoking a cigarette, watching,as you touch yourself.
>>
>>51985608
Fuck
>>
File: TimesinkOS.jpg (924 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
TimesinkOS.jpg
924 KB, 1660x1940
It doesn't respect your free time.
>>
>>51985692
I didn't find it to be too broken. The main part that pissed me off was that Arch uses a Ubuntu port to run Steam. And Steam completely fucked up and I have no idea how to fix it. So I'm back to Windows 7 with updates disabled, in the meantime.
>>
>connected to the Internet
>privacy
Pick one
>>
>>51985692
This is very true.

Almost every "Linux user" who actually does something uses a derivative of Ubuntu or Debian.

Only literal NEETs use arch.
>>
>>51985692
>>51985874
Not true at all. Arch actually really rarely breaks, you just haven't tried it.
>>
>>51985527
No. Nothing does. It won't work against you or spy on you since short of compiling every single source out there you get it running yourself, but the very act of connecting to the Internet puts you at a risk.
>>
>>51985903
And I don't wish to.

What can it do better than Debian?
>muh everything customizable
I don't care about that, I use xfce and whiskermenu and it's good enough.
>>
>>51985692
kekked
>>
>>51985944
Rolling release and bleeding edge, also no bloat whatsoever.
>>
vi is for noob, emacs rulez
>>
>>51985990
>Rolling release and bleeding edge, also no bloat whatsoever.

How much more bleeding edge is it than unstable?

Debian has no bloat as well. That's why it's used by servers.
>>
>>51985692
This. It's a distribution for NEETs with far too much time on their hands.
>>
>>51986050
I've just finished installing arch for the first time. It took me two hours.

Is this "arch is a time sink" meme an excuse used by the mentally retarded?
>>
>>51986076
>I've just finished installing arch for the first time. It took me two hours.

>2 hours to install something
>Not a timesink

>Is this "arch is a time sink" meme an excuse used by the mentally retarded?

You just haven't gotten to using it yet. When you have to constantly fix things which cuts into your productivity immensely you will realize that it is not a meme. Oh who am I kidding you're a probably a NEET who has 10 hours a day to do nothing.
>>
>>51986076
People are afraid of not understanding things.
People get mad at pretentious people, but can't verify whether they are pretentious because they don't understand it.
>>
>>51986076
>just installed
Good luck maintaining it. It's called bleeding edge for a reason, you have to be retarded if you think things won't break much more often than in stable distributions.
Also,
>2 hours just for installing it
lol
>>
>>51986048
Oh, you're using unstable. Don't really see why a Debian unstable user would dislike arch as it's litterally like Debian unstable, but better. AUR is another advantage as well, and the community, the best linux distro wiki ever, pacman, etc.
>>
>>51986048
Arch isnt unstable

if theres an xorg update it's probably a good idea to double check the newsfeed and make sure you're safe to install, sometimes there's a big warning that it's going to be incompatible with propriatary nvidia drivers, but that's about it really. Those updates are rare

>>51986076
Installing arch isnt the timesink, that's the easy part. The whole thing is easy really, but it's a hobbiest OS. It takes a long time to setup when you factor in things like font rendering and other small problems you'll have to fix, or setup.
>>
>>51986076

>TWO hours

You're baiting or retarded. It took me 20mins max to reinstall kubuntu last night
>>
>>51986111
debian stable net install takes like an hour or two

also the guy is retarded if he took under 30 mins to install, or he's literally on a 100kpbs connection
>>
>>51986150
>under
over*
>>
>>51986105
>People are afraid of not understanding things.

No it's just other people have other responsibilities and hobbies.

Many people have full time jobs, need time to socialize, practice other hobbies, etc. And they want their computer to just werk. They don't want to deal with a bunch of shit, having to google how to fix obscure problems, etc.
>>
Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu are the only distros worth anything nowadays.
>>
had antegros for 4 months now
pacman -Syu every day and no problems
arch is much more stable than it used to be
gnome looks good ootb, my pc is powerful so no need to rice
if I want to build something out of source I can easily do that because most programs come with build instructions for arch or a package in AUR
>>
>>51985773
That changed when steam os came out.
My steam works fine now.
>>
>>51986199
>openSUSE
Ubuntu is literally trash tier.
>>
>>51985944
when your not working you could try new things, it might be fun :3
>>
>>51986209
>antergos
hue
>>
>muh stability
Will this bullshit ever stop? Arch is literally just the latest stable software.
>>
>>51986185
I dont think anyone is telling you to use arch unless you enjoy computers, but really when you get it running like you want it doesnt brake.
>>
>>51986048
Debian is used by servers because servers need to crash exactly 0% of the time, and even a hint of instability is inappropriate. That's why the stable branch exists, which has been tested and approved to hell and back and is thus months (if not longer) behind active development. That degree of stability is absolutely not necessary for the average user who can simply restart their computer or spend five minutes googling a solution and move on with their lives.

But personally I switched from Debian to Arch because pacman just werks whereas I found apt to be a pile of shit. Within weeks I had dependencies cluttering the system and conflicting back and forth. Also, despite the stories, I have yet to have an Arch update bork anything on my system.
>>
>>51986268
this, really

the OS itself can be a hobby for some time, depending on what you want to get out of it and how good you are with it, but honestly it only breaks if you mess up

xauthority problems will happen if you run startx as root, xorg config problems will happen if youre dumb with your drivers somehow. These are the problems I always hear about people having.
>>
>>51986076
I just installed it on my laptop this morning. Took maybe 15 minutes. Gee, if only there were a page on the Wiki that literally wrote out the commands you need to install it.
>>
File: Installing Arch.2015.png (2 MB, 3060x8910) Image search: [Google]
Installing Arch.2015.png
2 MB, 3060x8910
>>51985874
I use Arch and I have a job
>>51986076
Takes me 30mins at most to get to a complete functional desktop
>>
>>51986739
You can just add archlinux fr to the repos and pull yaourt and its deps with pacman too
>>
>>51985874
you sound like a moron son.
>>
Arch break if you install stupid things on it. Don't fucking install nvidia or ATI support and Xsrv will do verry well.
Arch user since 2007, never had a major system faillure. Some packets broke, well, rollback and everything is okay.

N00b.
>>
>>51986817
I actually like to introduce the flavor of manual package build, Furthermore, packer just works fine
>>
>>51985692
>try to use arch because you are tired of ubuntu being a botnet broken piece of clogware shit
>too dumb to read the wiki
>too dumb to read anything in general
>break the system
>spend the day crying that you are too incompetent to use an OS and spend the rest of the day making a picture THAT WILL SHOW THEM!!!

Truly pathetic family. Arch isnt as hard as you make it out to be
>>
Arch broke? Chroot from the live media and fix it you dingus.
>>
File: gottta-go_fast.png (395 KB, 850x740) Image search: [Google]
gottta-go_fast.png
395 KB, 850x740
>>51985944
Autism.
>>
Im on the hunt for a decent Linux distribution (very old Linux user, current Windows user), I settled on arch the other day and got a memepad coming tomorrow.

Reading this has put me off arch because my Linux knowledge is extremely outdated and I can't be bother with that much hassle.

The problem is, I don't want a Windows clone. If I did, I would use Windows. What distro should I get? Something that is in the middle?
>>
>>51988771
I would say Slackware or Mint then.
>>
>>51988771
Arch is easy to use if you don't screw it up with shit. Most "difficult" part is installation (and if you read the manuel it will be okay).
>>
File: Parabola_Gnu_Linux-libre.svg.png (8 KB, 300x72) Image search: [Google]
Parabola_Gnu_Linux-libre.svg.png
8 KB, 300x72
>>51985527
no, but this does
>>
>>51985692
Arch Linux has had xorg break once in the three years I used it and I fixed it in five minutes. You are just too stupid to use it.
>>
>>51988771
There's nothing difficult about Arch. This is all just a carry over from Arch's early days.
You could try Debian/Buntus, but the apt package manager isn't very good.
>>
>>51988796
>Slackware
Good luck being productive
>>
>>51985692
Kop tek

I'm a recent convert to mint and I love it, saw everyone bragging about arch and this is exactly what I assumed about it, bunch of anime rate my desktop sharing fag kings
>>
>>51985944
you were literally me before a friend convinced me to try arch

now i've been using arch since 2012
>>
File: 1449095424350.png (1 MB, 1080x675) Image search: [Google]
1449095424350.png
1 MB, 1080x675
>>51986209
>antegros
kek
>>
>>51988997
Explain anon
>>
>>51989031
poo in loo
>>
>>51989031
>being this new
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.