[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arch Linux user reporting in. Long time Nvidia shill. Do AMD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1394390254917.jpg (43 KB, 470x455) Image search: [Google]
1394390254917.jpg
43 KB, 470x455
Arch Linux user reporting in. Long time Nvidia shill.

Do AMD cards receive more support and run better with Linux? I have a gtx 980 but should I sell it and get a fury x? There's abysmal support for Nvidia and tear able configuration options. I still can't stop screen tearing in simple games and media players.

No memes, thanks.
>>
>>51979988
>No memes, thanks.
>No memes
>gets dubs
>>
File: 6.jpg (8 KB, 204x204) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
8 KB, 204x204
>trading a gtx 980 for a fury

full retard
>>
>>51979988
AMD supports the free x.org radeon driver developmen, hell they even employ programmers to work on them, so their floss driver is bretty good. Don't expect full acceleration with recent cards however.
>>
>>51980015
Not just dubs, but double dubs!
>>
File: 138578765360.jpg (69 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
138578765360.jpg
69 KB, 600x600
>>51980015
Should have chosen a different meme if I would have known I would double down on dubs.

>>51980048
Most of the benchmarks are really good with the fury x against the 980. I'm trying to be open minded and not a shill.

>>51980058
So, the free x.org drives are pretty good compared to the shitty drivers Intel has? How does it compared to Mesa or nouveau?
>>
>>51979988
Are you using xfce by any chance? I've tried everything, but screen tearing was always present when watching videos, movies, etc. I can't tell anything about games tho. If you want to play games, you know what to do. Linux is still not there gaming wise, but I hope Vulkan changes that.
>>
File: gaming on pc.jpg (388 KB, 1036x1848) Image search: [Google]
gaming on pc.jpg
388 KB, 1036x1848
>gaming on GNU/Linux
>2015+11/12
>>
>>51980527
But it's just minecraft with the nerd qt gf.

Also I don't know. Standard arch, xorg, and i3 with Nvidia proprietary drivers. Been using Linux for around 3 weeks now. It's somewhat functional for daily use but it's missing a lot of stuff that people use on a daily basis. I've been resisting the urge to reinstall windows but I'm probably going to do that today to remedy all of the shortcomings.
>>
>>51979988
The Foss drivers are great for day to day stuff and decent for games but you usually get an extra 10-20 frames with the fglrx drivers that being said it can cause problems when you update your system. If you're r going to game dualboot or do a pass through for windows . or if you just want to use loonix get an nvidia they are better on linux
>>
>>51980058
>floss driver is bretty good

AMD on linux is the reason i dont buy AMD any more.

Utter shit in every experience ive had with the FLOSS or Binary driver.
>>
>>51980740
>gaming on gnu/linux
Are you serious?
>>
>>51980757

>implying i was even gaming.
>>
>>51980781
Then how is AMD driver even a problem?
>>
>>51980707
Exactly. Until Vulkan gets adopted, that's the only option.
>>
linux drivers are much better than windows counterpart as they are open source and you can freely modify them if you are not satisfied with them. Also you can run any windows game with Wine and if your game of choice is not supported yet simply grab the source code and write a quick patch. You'll be able to enjoy your game with higher fps than on Windows and also you'll have contributed to the community which is always nice.
>>
>>51980794

FLOSS driver didnt even identify my GPU, binary driver refused to work with xorg even 0.1 version out.

Desktop performance was fucking trash. most desktops on linux actually are nice with a little hardware acceleration these days too.

It may have improved since the sandy bridge /7970 i had. but fuck trying again. at least Nvidia and intel dont explode on me when i want to use a later xorg/kernel.
>>
have screen tearing in 7 cant even watch a video
have no screen tearing with radeon driver
2D foss radeon > 2D proprietary on 7
>>
Just installed linux. Driver crash at the start. WTF I thought you guys said nvidia was good on linux?

Fucking going back to AMD.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.