[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can I buy an audiophile grade NAS or hard drive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: stereophile-recommendedA.png (39 KB, 1500x819) Image search: [Google]
stereophile-recommendedA.png
39 KB, 1500x819
Where can I buy an audiophile grade NAS or hard drive?
>>
Audiophile grade hard drive? You mean gold plated and shit? With vacuum tubes stuck to it? What does that mean?
>>
>>51978693
>audiophile grade
>Buying shit with ridiculous markups just for that phrase alone
>>
>>51978732
We selected two traditional hard-disk drives (HDDs), and two solid-state drives (SSDs): a 500GB Hitachi Travelstar 7K500,a 500GB Seagate Momentus 7200.4, a 128GB Kingston SSDNow and a 120GB Corsair F120.

In our initial listening tests, I couldn't discern any tangible difference in sound between the two hard drives. Harris thought the Hitachi sounded very ethereal, almost out of phase, and rated it lowest; the Seagate was sharper with a more thumpy bass, slightly brighter with a slight tendency to sibilance. Both lacked much drive in presenting the Madonna track, and were certainly 'mushy' compared with the best sound quality we'd heard from the QNAP stable.

Drive three (a solid state type) gave a far from subtle shift in tone and soundstaging. I thought that here this Kingston SSD spread the stage wider, could really pull apart the multi-track layers, and certainly led in blackness too, sounding agreeably quieter than it had any right to. Yet there was also a dull flatness to its presentation, even a graying of timbre.

If the Kingston SSD stood apart from the disk drives for its mostly good yet quite alien character, drive four made itself known for entirely the wrong reasons. This Corsair drive (another SSD) conspicuously highlighted vocal sibilants, and had a hard, relentless quality that was impossible to miss. Strangely, it also robbed the music of pace; it was the least engaging on any emotional level thanks to an enveloping tunelessness that appeared to carve up a song like an MP3 rip.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm

So it seems none of these drives sounds neutral.
>>
anywhere that sells NAS and hard drives
>>
File: audioquest.png (307 KB, 977x656) Image search: [Google]
audioquest.png
307 KB, 977x656
>>51978693
while NAS/hard-drives obviously influence the quality of sound, i think audiophile-grade cables can make even more of difference in terms of listening experience. personally, i use pic-related cable on all of my ethernet-devices (you need to take care of the directionality though). when i first heard the near perfect sound this cable produces, it was a revelation. in that moment, i became euphoric.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (59 KB, 738x765) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
59 KB, 738x765
>>
>>51978760
I thought this was the beginning of great copypasta, but no. The audiophile disease is real.
>>
File: 1384131737061.jpg (36 KB, 270x400) Image search: [Google]
1384131737061.jpg
36 KB, 270x400
>>51978760
>>
File: tldr.jpg (101 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
tldr.jpg
101 KB, 392x500
>>51978760
>>
>>51978760
>it also robbed the music of pace

goddam it all to Hell
>>
>>51978693
I have an audiphile grade 40gb hard drive sitting around. I have confirmed that it's the best model out of 1000 samples I have also listened to and would be willing to sell it to you for only 500$. This is a rather low price, considering that this hard drive went out of production years ago and most HDDs of the same model have been tainted by rotational velocidensity.
I kept mine in a quantum harmionically tuned desk drawer though, so it's still fine. I would also be willing to sell you a matching IDE cable (IDE has better headspace than SATA) for onpy 50$.
Just post your name, address and credit card number and I will send it to you.
>>
>>51978732
They even have audiophile underwear to make their farts sound fantastic.
>>
>>51978760
>The RAIDing of volumes could be the subject of a further investigation, to see if compounding disks may even exaggerate their audible signatures. For this initial study, we pulled out another Synology NAS unit, a DS211 two-bay box with two 2TB Western Digital RE4-GP 'green' disks set up in RAID 0.
>As it turned out, it was possibly the best sounding source yet. It could sustain pace and drive, and gave body and richness to music where the Kingston SSD, for example, had been heard as limpid and lightweight. Maybe higher frequencies still weren't as insightful as direct CD playback at its best, but the sound had a relaxed quality that this listener has found quite enticing enough to plan a migration of all music onto it — pending a test of other NAS combinations!

Please kill me.
>>
>>51980744
>tainted by rotational velocidensity
>quantum harmionically tuned desk drawer
>IDE has better headspace than SATA

legit/10
>>
File: 1349882872365[1].jpg (81 KB, 450x268) Image search: [Google]
1349882872365[1].jpg
81 KB, 450x268
>>51978760
holy fucking shit.
kill me now please....
my eyes where about to pop out to the amount fucks.
>>
>>51978760
This has to be a joke. Please let this be a joke.
>>
>>51978760
Audiophiles never cease to disgust me.
>>
>>51984896
I think you're just jealous of their golden ears
>>
>>51985024
>golden ear
I bet half of these audioshitters /g/ makes fun of don't even play an instrument
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.