[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never buy an Assrock motherboard uve been warned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11
File: serveimage.jpg (19 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
19 KB, 800x800
Never buy an Assrock motherboard

uve been warned
>>
>>51961890
they're fine
>>
The sky is blue

uve been warned
>>
>>51961890
never buy a MSI poorfag mobo
uve been warned

>their VRM reaches 90/100°C
>in the manual they say not to worry because it's guaranteed to work up to 120°C
>>
>>51961897
wrong
>>
>>51961890
i cheaped out on everything in my PC and according to /g/'s standards, it should've failed by now, yet here it is 5 years later running the same

yes i cheaped out on the psu too ;)
>>
>>51961961
my assrock mainboard cant overclock becuz VRMs are so shit, the computer shuts down if it has a slight overclock
>>
I've been running an AsRock AM3 mobo for 4 years already
>>
>>51961961
same

I'm glad I didn't fall for the SSD meme too otherwise I would have had to upgrade my GPU by now.
>>
File: 1415435170501s.jpg (2 KB, 125x78) Image search: [Google]
1415435170501s.jpg
2 KB, 125x78
>>51961902
>Le Trip Faggot
you don't have a trip
>>
>>51961890
Currently running a 10 year old asrock AM2 socket motherboard. 0 problems ever.
>>
>>51961984
I fell for that meme and bought an AMD cpu instead of an Intel one for budget reasons.

It's fucking glorious to boot in 8 secs.
10/10 I would do that again.
>>
excuse me >>51961947
I believe you forgot to turn your trip off, as it has no realevance to your post
>>
I had an ASRock motherboard in my web/email server until I shut down the server because I moved that server to a VPS
>>
>>51962004
wrong
>>
File: doitfaggot.gif (572 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
doitfaggot.gif
572 KB, 500x375
>>51962026
Kill yourself
>>
>>51962003
I didn't fell for the SSD meme but I did fell for the amd CPU meme, I had to buy a second motherboard and an intel cpu 3 months later because my gpu was being used properly and I couldn't stand it and because /g/ told me to get a cheap as fuck motherboard together with the amd cpu I couldn't overclock it higher than 4.2Ghz because the shitty vrms get too hot and the stupid stock cooler couldn't even keep the cpu below 60ºC at stock speeds.

So in the end I had to pay twice all thanks to /g/.
>>
>been hearing asrock has come up in quality and isnt just a budget asus anymore
>buy x99
>nothing but constant problems
>wont see windows bootloader without disabling legacy usb support (????)
>pay more for unlocked cpu, faster ram, but cant overclock even the slightest without constantly crashing
>the little plastic tooth inside the usb mouse port BROKE OFF into my mouse's connector, even though I literally treat every piece of equipment I have like brittle glass (literally first usb port I've ever broken in my life)

I fucking hate this stupid thing, and with the usb now broke, any hopes of RMA/returns are shot. I guess I should be grateful its even stable right now.
>>
since mobo elitists are here, which LGA1151 mobo is best for mildly overclocking a 6600k, only overclocking in the future when it starts becoming a bit dated for games
>>
>>51962110
exactly

never buy assrock
>>
>>51961890
what is this, 2009?
>>
>>51961890
I had massive problems with the brand when it was new on the market. Which was like, 10+ years ago? Can't even remember. But I was building quite a few computers back then.

Today's AsRock? No problem, if you ask me. They work fine. Using one right now on this Linux machine of mine, in fact.
>>
>>51961890
I dont take warnigs from fucking tripfags.
>>
>>51961890
>Buy Asrock server board
>5 years and going strong

>Buy Asus "workstation" motherboard
>RMA'd twice due to problems
>Now if I bump thhe case too hard, the computer freezes because the RAM slot is loose

Never buy an Asus motherboard
uve been warned
>>
>>51962166
this
>>
I have one of those Assrock AM1 boards with 4 SATA ports. If I attempt to connect a USB optical drive, it wont boot. It doesn't matter that it's not selected in BIOS to be the boot partition. I must disconnect it every time I want to boot up.
>>
>>51962166
Asus has gotten complacent.
Now that they're on the top, their board designs are lazy.

Their marketing has gotten shady too.
The Asus X99 WS motherboard, despite advertised as a "workstation", doesn't actually support ECC ram. You'll have to get the X99 WS-E for that. What the fuck?
>>
>constantly research all the major mb brands
>they all have constant hit-or-miss problems

is there even a fucking reliable brand anymore?
are we all just being cucked by these greedy asian jews?
>>
>>51961890

Oh yeah? Ive been using my P67 asrock board for 4 years now with everything overclocked decently high 24/7 (I hardly ever turn my PC off). Its been great. So great we just did an X99 build with the extreme4.
>>
>>51962222
Supermicro. But only if you're building a workhorse, not a gaymen rig.
>>
>>51962222
in last 8 yrs i repaired 5 asus, 7 asrock, 17 msi and no gigabyte boards... and had only 4 unrepairable completely dead boards 1 asus and 3 msi... consider that as an advice...
>>
>>51962258

I had an asus 775 board once that failed on me. So did my friends P5N. ....Actually now that i think of it our mutual friends crosshair IV died too. No luck for us only 1/4 of our asus boards didnt die.
>>
>>51962350
gigabyte went from god tier to shit tier.
>>
>>51961890
tripfag plz go
>>
File: 1386019742771.gif (1 MB, 300x215) Image search: [Google]
1386019742771.gif
1 MB, 300x215
>>51961890
>always bought asrock motherboards
>never an issue
>buy an asus motherboard
>mfw DOA
>>
>>51962140
>>51962142

read this
>>51961976
>>
>>51962363
gigabyte is good, retard
>>
>>51962140
More like 1998
>>
>>51962595
Someone's AsRock can't overclock.

And what is that supposed to prove?
>>
MSI running 23.000 hours and counting. I hope it has year or two in it left.
I really do not want to search for motherboard compatible with 2600 or upgrade from it.
>>
>>51962738
they have shit quality components

they are only good if all you do is using office and posting on 4chan
>>
asrock is fine
>>
Mine just work
>>
What H81 mobo should I get? Was looking at the asus H81M plus but dunno, are other brands better?
>>
>>51961976
Funny, I've built an i7-4790k on an Asrock Fatal1ty board and have zero issues getting the CPU to run at 4.8GHz stable with voltage running at 1.42 volts. Maybe you're just shit at overclocking or bought the cheapo Z97/Z170 boards meant largely for light or RAM/baseclock-only overclocking.
>>
>>51963056
Cpu-z plz. Also, how does one go about learning oc stuffs? Any sites to recommend?
>>
>>51962331
They make gaming boards now. They're pretty robust, but lack a lot of features that ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte offer.
Their Z170 motherboard is a really good overclocker, better than the much more expensive MSI boards in terms of stability. I've had issues with tuning the BCLK on two MSI Z170 boards, but the Supermicro one had zero issues even beyond the BCLK and voltage settings I had on the MSI boards.
>>
>>51963038

bls resbond
>>
>>51963123
I built it for a client back during the spring. If I remember, it was the ASRock Z97 Fatal1ty ATX with the baseclock bumped up a bit to help get the CPU up to 4.8GHz. It was running stable up until 4.7 with a standard baseclock and 1.35+ volts. Temps during benchmarks stabilized at the mid 70s with a Cryorig H7.

The low-end ASRock Z170 boards I've used were paired with i3s or non-k i5s with DDR4-2400 memory and very slightly bumped up baseclocks. The locked i3s and i5s do not take well to even minor baseclock alterations, but adding higher speed DDR4 memory bumps performance up noticeably (at least 3% on even non-memory dependent software and games with DDR4-2800). I think the sweetspot RAM frequency for Skylake is 2800-3200. Anything higher than that has absurdly high CAS latency and causes diminishing or negative gains in overall performance.
>>
>>51963204
MSI or ASRock
>>
File: salami the black.png (99 KB, 215x294) Image search: [Google]
salami the black.png
99 KB, 215x294
>>51963056
it overclocked fine at first

then 2 years later i started to get random reboots while gaming

now it even crashes at stock speeds on prime95, i have to reduce vcore at a bare minimum to be stable at stock clocks

Assrock not even once
>>
>>51963230
I have a 6600k, 24mhz cl 12, on asrock mitx gaming board. If I take it to 4.5 itshits itself. I left everything on auto, so I think that's my problem. If I monkeyd around manually, I'm prepare sure I could get it stable as temps are low At the 4.4. It also says I'm at 1.25v
>>
>>51963347
Over time, the components on your motherboard lose a bit of their soldering if they're exposed to a lot of heat. If you don't cool them adequately, the soldering erodes and you'll have eventual component failures. This is true with any board from any manufacturer.
I could say the same about MSI boards. I've personally used an MSI board with an Ivy Bridge i7 and I had to turn the overclock down late last year because I started getting random crashes and BSODs.
That's why if you're overclocking for long-term usage, you don't put on the highest possible overclock from the get go. You have to look at your motherboard and component temps and find an overclock that doesn't put too much thermal load on them.
>>
>>51963349
Don't use auto unless you're not sure of what you're doing. And if that's the case, don't fuck around with any settings other than the core multipliers. Don't even touch the voltage or BCLK settings until you understand what their purpose is and what to look out for.
>>
>>51963461
Yeah I'm happy with my 4.4, and kinda figured I shouldn't try anything else exotic. I have the speedstep turned off, and the OC applied to "all cores" on those occt tests it gets up to 72ish. Pretty happy with my system now. It was horribly unstable, bsod almost daily until I updated the bios to v1.5, and I think I have about 3 weeks of uptime now.
>>
>>51963349
Also, you might have gotten bad luck with the CPU. Some people haven't been able to get their Skylakes over 4.6 at all.
I also hope that you're using a top-down air-cooler similar to the stock Intel heatsink designs. If you're using an AIO, you get very little airflow over the power phases, which can get very hot during medium overclocks. People take the air coolers for granted, not realizing that the residual airflow around the heatsink does aid in passively cooling other parts surrounding the CPU socket.
>>
>>51963573
Inside a Silverstone sg08 with a noctua nhl12, and a noctua 140 mm right above that. Pretty happy temp wise. Idle is about 25c.
>>
>>51963605
Then we can rule out thermal issues. I think you just have a bad Skylake.
>>
I've consistently rocked Asrock boards for myself, qt gf, friends, and family members. Never had a problem with them and I have been able to give them stable minor overclocking to those who would see benefit. If you buy a cheaper board with 3+1 power phases, no shit you aren't going to OC much if at all. I guarantee is you buy a better asrock board with the proper VRM setup that is you will overclock as well as an ASUS or Gigabyte board in the same price sector.

The manufacturer that makes junk and always had made junk is msi. Or you may remember them in the 90s as microstar *barf*. Even biostar is better now.
>>
>>51963620
It is a pretty small heatsink and I am at the top of the recommended tdp for that cooler.
>>
Bought an AsRock Extreme 4 Z97 for my 4790K. It's fucking shit. Constant crashing, GPU not being detected, and my bootloader not showing up with the "FAST" boot mode option turned on. Eh, at least I didn't buy ASUS.
>>
>>51963670
>noctua nhl12
I doubt it. Remember that the CPU's TDP is just the ceiling of how much heat the CPU is designed to take, sort of like a thermal speed limiter. Your Skylake has a TDP of 91 W, but realistically probably won't even hit that even with high core clock/medium voltage overclocks.
The Noctua is more than enough, especially with the size constraints that you have.
>>
>>51963746
Mine was shitty til I updated the bios. >>51963765
Thanks I was kinda thinking the same. It might get a Lil cooler with something massive like a nh14 but I'm happy with what I have.
>>
>>51961890
Is this a terrorist threat?
>>
Anyone have the Extreme 3? I plan on CF a pair of 390s, but I have a wifi card in a pci slot. With my Pro4 though it'll be right against the fan of the 2nd card unlike the Extreme 3 where the pci slot the first slot.

Otherwise what's a good SLI/CF ATX board that has plenty of space between pcie and a pci slot. Only remotely care about the brand because my build is blue themed and I haven't had any issues with the Pro4.
>>
>>51963746
>mfw Asrock Z97 Extreme9 master race, fucking running without any single problem since day one, 4790K OC at 4.8 always stable. UltraFast mode enabled without issues, bootloader, of course always detected, GPU and all fucking shit always detected.
Your asrock problem is buying cheap mobos.
>>
what the fuck do you people do to your computers?
i don't consider myself a very careful person, i always drop things and i cut corners often.
however i've built a dozen computers and the only fault i've had is a dead hard drive, which I easily RMA'd.
>>
>>51964015
Totally This.
>>
>>51961976
My assrock has had a sata controller and a usb controller fail.
Could've been the AMD chipset.
Now sporting an Gigabutt X79 board. Shitty bios. No other issues.
>>
File: demo.png (77 KB, 1280x867) Image search: [Google]
demo.png
77 KB, 1280x867
>>51961890
Oooh gees because roughly 50% of every manufacturer has hardware that will fail or die we should just not buy anything.
>>
Unless you go out and find reliable shipping/return statistics, where can you even get information about motherboard brands or mice or anything that you can even trust?

You're going to find shitposting and shilling in customer reviews. They help give you some idea, but you're still can't know for sure until you buy.
>>
Here was i thinking about upgrading my 2500k+Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 for
4690k+Asrock Extreme 6.

Not so sure anymore...
>>
>>51961976
>assrock
>overclock
what are you even doing, are you retarded?
>>
Used an Asrock board in 3 builds so far. No real issues.
Used an Asus board in 2 builds so far. No issues.
Used a Gigabyte board in 1 build so far. No issues.

Just do your research on which specific boards have problems, it's not hard.
>>
>Have AM2 MSI board w/ AMD Phenom 965 back in 2009
Lasted me to the day I sold it and it's still kicking with the friend I sold it to for music / recording and light gaming.
>Have z97 Krait w/ 4790k since feb 2015
Keeps solid OC of 4.8 GHz completely stable. Never had any problems with the board.

>Have ASUS z97 ITX board w/ Xeon 1231v3 for server
Runs just fine 24/7. No issues or complaints.

>MSI H81 w/G3258 super poorfag normiebook word processing machine
Built for coworker. Works amazing, far better quality than the Foxconn shit Dell & HP uses, in total less expensive, and has the possibility to be upgraded or added on to

>Cousin gets ASRock board
>it shorts out within a month, luckily it only killed itself

Never again.
>>
>>51961890
I went through a h170(think thats the number) and a z170 board from asrock and they all caused issues bur a gigabyte one worked great. Crap brand is crap
>>
>>51961902
>>51961890
>>51961925
these are things we know...
uve been meem'ed
>>
>>51964010
I'm not paying more than 110usd for a fucking motherboard. Most of them do the exact same shit and have the same features. AsRock shouldn't be selling shit in the sub $115 range. Especially when the majority cheap out on them. I bet you bought a Titan X because the 980 Ti is the poorfag option.
>>
>>51963924
I have the latest drivers and it still gives me issues from time to time. Would RMA but my bitch of a girlfriend decided to throw out the boxes.
>>
>>51963056
>1.42V
This triggers the sandybridge user
>>
>>51961976
>>51965002
my assrock x79 extreme9 overclocks like a king
>>
>>51961890
ASRock is p cool tho
>>
File: Bridget (9).gif (6 KB, 132x136) Image search: [Google]
Bridget (9).gif
6 KB, 132x136
>>51961890
That is arguable.
Older Asrock motherboards where complete trash.

But the new ones specially the new server grade ones with atoms they have been rolling out are based as fuck.
>>
>>51967272
>Poorfag on full damage control.
Poor retard, maybe they do the exact same shit if you don´t plan to use all the features it has a better mainboard. And no, they don´t have the same features. Seems that you are a poor that never had a good mainboard, don´t know what features they have and never could afford one so is talking shit on the pricey ones. Shame on you.
And no, never in my fucking life I would buy a stupid titan with its stupid price. A 980 its ok, and two of them better, or three, maybe four.... as my mainboard can do it..., plus 2 M.2 slots, plus 7 HDD, with two of them that can be disconnected entyrely by software, a PLX, and a lot more features I need and I use that you never heard about.
You cannot buy a better mobo? Ok. That does not mean they "do the same shit"
>>
File: dmgctrl.jpg (149 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
dmgctrl.jpg
149 KB, 650x650
>>51967636

>4 way SLI on a 1150 chipset
>calling others poor
>not having both 1150 and X99
>bragging about muh onboard gaymer features

That's cute, seems like you can barely read your motherboards manual.
>>
>>51967272
Listen, all manufacturers sell shit Z87/897/170 boards below a certain price threshold. It's the industry's way of jewing people into buying either overpriced H87/97/170 boards or seriously overpriced Z boards. It's unfortunate that we have to pay $150+ for a decent overclockable board.
Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, ASRock are all guilty of it. I avoid Z-chipset ATX board below $130 MSRP because I know I won't be getting the product I need for a $300 CPU. A motherboard is only as good as the components they put in it.
>>
I've had MSI, gigabyte, asrock, ECS and foxconn.
All of them had fucking awful audio output jacks with high impedance and fucking interference out the ass everywhere.
Never cheaping out on mobos anymore.
>>
>>51968525
Why not just get a dedicated sound card? Even a DAC would do.
>>
>>51962602
nuh uh tripfag. He doesn't like Gigabyte, and that makes it ultra-shit, queer.
>>
Currently using Asrock extreme3 830
>>
>>51961890
Too late for me.

But apart from the horrible driver installation (which came with spyware) it's not too bad.
>>
>>51969122
This to be honest.

Internal DAC's will always be shit.
Way too much interference inside that computer case.
Quality has little to do with it.

Just use the digital audio output from your video cards HDMI or Display Port outputs.
>>
>>51968247
You are sweating... Poor boy.
>>
>>51962857
Damn not even a full day. Must be the best ever
>>
>Asrock Z77 Pro 3
>I5 3570k running 4,3 ghz at stock voltage for three years.
>No problems what so ever.

Op was a fag again.
>>
>>51961890
I can attest to this.

I have NEVER seen an ASRock last longer than a year.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.