[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EBOOKS HAVE FAILED
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: 1450114980162.png (142 KB, 273x305) Image search: [Google]
1450114980162.png
142 KB, 273x305
Against all odds, print books are on the rise again in the US

qz.com/578025/against-all-odds-print-books-are-on-the-rise-again-in-the-us/

For the last half decade, ever since digital books and e-readers first came on the scene, news headlines have been at war. “The physical book is dead,” some reports declared, while others vehemently argued for the eternality of the printed word.

Data, actually, supports the latter sentiment. At least in the US, sales of physical books have experienced a renewed surge of interest, according to Nielsen BookScan
>>
>>51961798
Probably because you can take a print book anywhere with you and you don't have to mess with weirdo DRM bullshit that ties your books to a single app or device

Also you can sell books
>>
print media is retarded and harms the environment. it takes a lot of space and energy to produce. ebooks are clearly superior in every way
>>
It's because of all the news coming out that ebook light is bad for sleep.
>>
>>51961823
t. Schlomo Goldstein
>>
>>51961823
>ebooks are clearly superior in every way
>buy book on Google Play
>cant use it on iOS
>buy book on iTunes
>cant use it on android
>buy book from amazon
>amazon randomly deletes book remotely because they feel like it
>fine print tells me Im only 'borrowing' the book for 5 years, after which its automatically removed
>ebooks poorly formatted because companies dont give a fuck
>>
>>51961823
ebook failed the moment they tried to make digital content same as physical medium and prevented copy and distribution.
>>
>>51961841
>what is piracy
>>
>>51961823

I am a ms/hs librarian. I ordered e-books when they first came out but after a few years, I've stopped simply because they are not getting checked out. Even if the print copy is checked out, I can not get a teen convinced to read the e-book version. Many of my students have kindles or a device to read e-books and there are some that do but they still prefer a regular book. The ones I see using e-books the most are older adults.
>>
>>51961841
Ebooks aren't properly implemented yet but they are the future. Print is deprecated.
>>
>>51961850
not a solution, seriously the ebook piracy scene is fucking trash and legit ebooks are completely fucked up the arse.

The easiest way to get a book you want after all these years is still to just buy a physical copy or rent it from your uni library.
>>
>>51961817
books depreciate to shit
>>
>>51961850
>what is the average joe

>>51961871
They'll always be inferior because digital content allows for DRM but physical content doesn't. The only way they'd be better is if DRM was outlawed
>>
>>51961798
Same thing with vinyls vs mp3s. One compliments the other therefore sales increase both ways.

EBook sales agent going down. It's just that more people are reading more, therefore both go up
>>
>>51961899
>but physical content doesn't
Wait until you have eye implants that make you go blind when you look at a non-licensed book.
>>
The format is in its infancy. Give it some time.
>>
>company just uses OCR software to scan old books into digital files
>don't have a human editor go through them
>just sell them full of formatting and spelling errors

Why is this actually, legally allowed? You're paying for a digital copy of a print book. If the textual content of the print book isn't riddled with errors, but the digital format is, you're not getting what you paid for. There needs to be a lawsuit over this shit.
>>
I have a kindle and have never once bought a book for it. Always just pirate them, grab them from a public domain site like gutenberg or just copy my friends' books.

Theres not really any reason to buy ebooks when great scans and pretty excellent OCR+heuristic processing exist. Plus 99% of all ebook exclusive stuff is garbage, pretty much just 50 shades of grey ripoffs or minecraft house plans stolen from deviantart.
>>
The fact if the issue is holding a physical boom simply gives you a different user experience, try as they might to emulate it within e-books they can't. Something about turning the pages and feeling them just has a different satisfaction to the reader
>>
Quite frankly when I'm doing assignments looking at a real book is less of a strain on the eyes and its also a lot easier to write notes in.

I hate reading books on a screen.
>>
File: 1450053796727.jpg (54 KB, 480x643) Image search: [Google]
1450053796727.jpg
54 KB, 480x643
A used book is like $1.40 free shipping and then you can share it with your friend if you like.

An ebook is 15.99 and you have to give it your wifi password and sign into it and if you try to take a screenshot it won't let you.
>>
>>51964153
>I hate reading books on a screen.
I thought the same way til I tried a reader with an e-ink screen. Damn those things are good.
>>
>>51961798
e-books failed when Apple got into the business. Suddenly e-books got as expensive as regular books and got filled with pointless drm restrictions.

Look it up.
>>
There are two things keeping ebooks down.

1) Pricing: Ebooks cost about the same as a paper book. This is stupid. They should be less than half the cost of the physical book. Additionally you should get an ebook when you buy the physical book, you shouldn't have to buy it twice.

2) DRM: Wife just got a Kobo reader, but was unable to transfer a couple of books she had on her nook because she bought them from B&N. Fucking retarded. Why even bother buying books when they're defective compared to the ones you steal.
>>
>>51961845
this
i fucking hate this world
>>
So ebooks are a meme?
>>
How hard is it to pirate ebooks on a Kindle. Come on.
>>
>>51961798
I blame clunky unser interfaces in e-book readers.

>Load E-book
>Read
>Has tiny hyper-link to last page where shit gets explained
>So small you cant click it
>Click on the chapter title? Here have the first page of the e-book with no "backward" function
>>
>>51964765

Easy, but how many people are going to go through that effort? How much of the target ereader market is even capable?
>>
>>51961852

>That's because they're pirating
>>
>>51964153

>>>>>WHAT IS F.LUX
>>
>>51964786
>>51964765

What I'm trying to say is young adults probably just pirate them so the data is skewed.
>>
It's simply more engaging to hold the real thing in our hands. Studies have shown people memorize easier when when there is a physical component to the experience.
>>
>>51964820
An ugly piece of shit that makes rapes colour accuracy
>>
>>51961841
Not true. You can get the Google play books app on IOS and read your books there.
>>
>>51961798
I only read print or free online pdf versions of books
>>
>>51964820
>not using the open-source alternative redshift

>>>/out/
>>
>>51961798
After looking at a monitor for 8 hours at work and some more time at home, I really don't fancy looking at another display and prefer reading from a piece of a dead tree.
>>
>>51961898
>books depreciate

Typically, yes. But it doesn't change the fact that you can legally sell them. When you "buy" an ebook, you're just paying for a license.
>>
I prefer reading with a real book than e-book, I don't know why. I rarely can enjoy reading e-book, while everytime I read a real book I can forget a time.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.