[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vulkan is ready. Finally. 2016 the end of DirectX ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: glnext-logo.png (9 KB, 500x133) Image search: [Google]
glnext-logo.png
9 KB, 500x133
Vulkan is ready.
Finally.
2016 the end of DirectX ?
>>
File: vulkan.png (64 KB, 848x883) Image search: [Google]
vulkan.png
64 KB, 848x883
https://www.khronos.org/vulkan
>>
>>51958511
This is what I want to know as well, I don't know DX or OGL, I feel like I should learn Vulkan over OGL if it's going to be deprecated even if it will be harder due to lack of meta documentation/experiences.
>>
>>51958511
I don't think it will kill it completely due to the amount of software using it, but with the time, it will disappear and only vulkan will stay.
At first it was called "open gl next"
>>
File: laughing pteranodon.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
laughing pteranodon.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>51958438
>eliminates the only reason to install the win 10 botnet

Some people at Microsoft must be really shitting themselves right now.
>>
>>51958511
No, Vulkan will not replace OpenGL.
>>
>>51958904
It does actually

>>51958819
This

Valve are backing Vulkan in a very calculated way, they're trying to destroy Microsoft's hold over gaming

I never liked Steam or Valve but if it means killing Microsoft then they're okay
>>
Shiiiiit gonna have to convert all the gl in my engine
>>
>>51959689
>It does actually
It will take decades before graphic card vendors will lose interest in making decent OpenGL drivers for their graphics cards .
>>
>>51958438
Does anything use Vulkan at all?

Which GPUs support it?
>>
>Windows has DX12
>Apple has Metal

So who is going to actually use this?
Why bother using this over those when Vulkan is just rebranded Mantle... a project that even AMD dropped.
Is this one of those things where only Linux users are excited and claim their OS will rise above all and MS will go out of business like they went apeshit with when 10 released?
>>
>>51959689
OpenGL will be still used at universities and to make simple 3D graphics project.
>>
>>51960063
>>Windows has DX12
Only Windows 10.

>Vulkan is just rebranded Mantle
So is DX12.

>So who is going to actually use this?
Most Windows users (those not using 10), Android users, GNU/Linux users.
>>
>>51960130
>Most Windows users (those not using 10), Android users, GNU/Linux users.
So basically they developed this whole thing for poor people and/or people in poo-in-loo tier countries.
Got it.
>>
>>51960156
Retard bait, 1/10. Better luck next time.
>>
>>51960063
Is this bait? Vulkan will be picked up by people who want cross-platform support. Why would I make a use of DX12 if Vulkan is approximately on the same performance level and I want my app to run on nearly all platforms without too much tweaking.
>>
File: 1446379553804.jpg (149 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1446379553804.jpg
149 KB, 600x600
>>51960156
>microsoft shills already getting buttmad
>>
>>51960181
Thank you for the rare pepe.
>>
>>51960156
But you are poo in loo, Ganesh.
Nobody else would unironically promote Windows 10.
>>
>>51960240
Budbuddings are probably bigger Linux users than most other countries

Americunt and Europoor are the ones who are stuck inside Microsofts anus
>>
>>51958438
This is coming just in time.
Was afraid Spynet 10 would sit atop the throne of sensible graphical computation but it seems there's a new sheriff in town.
Can't wait to dive into the API!
>>
daily reminder that if it werent for DirectX cancer, OSX and loonix would be gaymen platforms
>>
File: 7fd84b625b3566ee.jpg (132 KB, 956x467) Image search: [Google]
7fd84b625b3566ee.jpg
132 KB, 956x467
Given the years of cancer DX9 has given us (lets be real here, DX11 is just DX9 turbo edition) Vulkan is hopefully going to solve two problems at once. Namely kicking DX in the balls to try and decouple MS' gaming dominance as well as murdering the abomination that is opengl.

It is amusing how one of the smallest companies involved is the one that has caused such a shift (that being AMD).
>>
File: 1450052173462.jpg (35 KB, 572x380) Image search: [Google]
1450052173462.jpg
35 KB, 572x380
>companies are still going to go with trash like DirectX
can't wait..
>>
>>51962505
Unreal Engine 4 is going to support Vulkan
>>
>>51962785

Based on what, your feels?
>>
>>51958438
Why would it? Do you freetard idiots have a bone of logic in your entire body? We've had a months of a full functioning and fully release DX12 API. What makes you think Johnny-come-lately, offering no performance advantages that DX doesn't already have is going to change the usage dynamic that has existed between DirectX and OpenGL for over a decade?

Stop being such a bunch of delusional fuccbois.
>>
>>51960064
>OpenGL will be still used at universities and to make simple 3D graphics project.

If someone wants a high level API it'd probably be better to just implement something with less suck on top of Vulkan. It wouldn't take much to make it more usable than OpenGL and still let it work faster on modern hardware.
>>
>>51960019
It's not even in 1.0. Right now they are still doing some tests and writing everything regarding the copyrights or other bullshit like that.
I don't think a single game have started to develop seriously with it. Or if they do, they are all games not announced to the public.

>Which GPUs support it?
Good question. They still didn't announced anything. I think vulkan will be more supported than DX12 is currently (more GPU and more OS)

reminder that Vulkan have the support of those companies :
>AMD, Apple, ARM, Blizzard, Broadcom, Codeplay, Continental, DMP, Electronic Arts, Epic Games, Google, Imagination Technologies, Intel, Lucasfilm, Mediatek, Oculus VR, Oxide, Pixar, RTT, Samsung, Sony, TransGaming, Unity, Valve, Vivante.

DX12 will only be used by microsoft in the future.
>>
>>51960063
because DX12 is shit. I don't know for Metal, but DX should just die.
>>
>>51963567
Apple has a boner for Metal(or whatever it's called)
>>
>>51962025
>OS X
nope.
They are still stuck with the 4.1 version of openGL that is 5 years old. Apple support is shit. Linux have better performances than this shitty OS on their own hardware.
>>
>>51963618

I bet that is entirely down to DICE jumping up and down and generally making noise within EA to get vulkan support into Frostbite. Off the top of my head Frostbite was the first engine to support mantle as well.

For once EA is most likely going to be pulling api adoption forwards because they have a game engine that supports all the new shit and is used in a huge number of games they develop.
>>
>>51959689
Winfag here. Please tell me when I can migrate my games to Linux? I hate using windows now. Its fucking depressing.
>>
>>51962505
>>51962526
>>51962785
>>51962964
Unreal Engine and Unity are going to support Vulkan.
>>
>>51963680
>>51963618
It's like the only thing they're doing right and since they are pretty fucking mainstream with their games I hope they'll really push Vulkan adoption for other devs.
>>
>Started recently learning OpenGL
>Vulkan is around the corner

What now? Do I keep learning modern OGL and stuff or do I forget everything and just learn Vulkan when it comes out?
>>
>>51963680
I swear I am seeing some kind of trend lately in general
>game has a good engine
>game itself is mediocre to bad

>game has shitty engine
>game concept itself is good

Maybe I'm playing the wrong games.
>>
>>51963733
learning openGL is not a bad thing. You'll need to wait some time before seeing good tutorials, examples and other shit like that in the internet.
>>
>>51963733
I'm willing to bet what you learn with OGL will be valuable regardless, it may make it easier to learn Vulkan if you have an understanding of OGL already rather than nothing at all. I could be wrong though.
>>
So outside of the fact that it's microsoft's, what is so bad about direct x?
>>
>>51963707
Not yet brother. The time is not yet, but I suggest you get familiar with linux if you haven't already. Dual-boot or VM, your choice, but start working on transferring your daily tasks over to Linux. It'll take time, but work through it and come out on top.

Gaming won't seem so demanding anymore, and as games start adopting Vulkan, Windows as a platform is finished, it literally won't have anyone but people using legacy office programs for work. Normies are already moving to simpler, dumber alternatives like Droid machines.
>>
>>51963801

The fact its essentially not kept up with the changing hardware and is really only written for hardware thats a decade old.
>>
>>51963801
The same thing that is wrong with osx, it binds you to pay the company tax in the form of exclusive hardware/OS to get utility.
>>
File: wallpaper-1621542.jpg (199 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-1621542.jpg
199 KB, 1920x1080
Mantle is a Vulkan
>>
is vulkan going to be open source and free (as in buttsex)?
>>
>>51963801
That's legitimately the most important reason though, being locked to specific (and in this case only 1) platform just seems stupid when you could target several platforms including the 1 DirectX covers.
>>
>>51963824
I am using Ubuntu minimal with xfce right now dual boot. I can run dota 2 but league of legends is only running via wine causing loss of fps and in game glitches. Also diablo 2 is not working on any distro for me.
>>
>>51963801
Exclusivity.
That shit should stay on consoles.
>>
>>51963824
>it literally won't have anyone but people using legacy office programs for work
Solidworks
>>
>>51963749
No it makes sense, more budget goes to developing the engine than the actual game. It's like how the AC games work in a tic-toc manner, with the tick being the new engine and a bad game, the toc being a better game with the same engine.

This also killed MGSV.
>>
>>51963858
>league of legends
Man all that mouse clicking is a horrible bottleneck.
>>
>>51963915
I can live without league but diablo 2 is my life for last 12 years.
>>
>>51963567
That list is beautiful. I think everyone wants this but Microsoft, it completely releases the grapple hold Microsoft has on the graphics market and allows everyone to appeal to a larger audience, Macfags and Linbros are all sizable markets, especially Mac. Their foothold in America is significant.

The question remains in how this is going to work on consoles, because it obviously can't. This isn't like a simple move from DX11 To DX12, It's a completely new API, so I don't think most gamedevs would bother to make such radical changes to their engines.
>>
>>51963915
it's tactical mouse clicking. you wouldn't understand
>>
So when the api becomes available, they have stated that it works with the default gl drivers (unoptimized) so what is the benefit to the consumer in the months (years?) before applications adopt the standard?
>>
>>51963567
its funny not seeing nvidia on that list

DirectX 11 + Gimpworks is their trumph card
>>
>>51963884
A lot of people speculate that Konami rushed the release of MGSV, IIRC that game was meant to be released next year. I don't know how valid those claims are but it certainly doesn't meet the level of polish the previous games in the series had, I believe their engine had significant development time as well but an equal part of time devoted to producing the game, that doesn't seem like the case for 5 unfortunately. I am really impressed with the Fox Engine regardless, shame it won't ever be used for anything again.
>>
>>51963567
You forgot Microsoft.

Yes, Microsoft themselves are supporting Vulkan.
>>
>>51963709
That's really all that matters. A sizable amounts of games are developed using those two, from indie p2w shit to cutting edge AAA stuff.

This is the endgame, once CryEngine, Unreal, Frostbite, Unity and GameBryo implement Vulkan, then the battle is already over. Once this problem is solved at a middleware level, developers won't even care.
>>
>>51963884
>>51963980
>spend a significant amount of time developing an engine that makes development and porting easy without sacrificing performance
>only used on a single non-sports game and a canceled horror game
>company that owns the rights to it decides to move out of the video game business
this is hell
>>
>>51958511
>>51958438
stop saying vulkan is gonna just kill off everything else right off the bat

I wasted the past summer turning my rendering engine over to directx12 and I regret it to no end
the same is gonna happen with vulkan
people are gonna be excited and shit, but are gonna find out soon enough what goes with immature technology such as vulkan
>>
If AMD are such good guys, how come they're losing?

Movies told me good guys always win.
>>
>>51964008
It's more of just a giant waste, now Kojimbo either has to start all over again or cave in and adopt Unreal like many jap devs nowadays do.
>>
>>51964027
Your regret was using the piece of shit that is DX12. Also,

>not branching before major refactoring
>>
>>51963937
Never heard of Diablo causing issues, might want to check on that again man.
>>
>>51964003
I can't wait to see this platform exclusivity wall crumble, no longer restricted to a particular hardware of software platform. It has always been stupid that in order for me to play Game X I needed to own Hardware Y and use OS Z, even the marketing department should be happy with this since more coverage means more potential sales even if the marketshare is relatively small it still covers everything originally and now more.
>>
>>51964027
You're a literal DX12 even if you don't realize it lmao
>>
>>51964064
That has nothing to do with gaming, that's literally business. Cables work in the same manner.

Games are actually still likely not to come to linux on certain occasions due to Microsoft putting their shoe in the front door.
>>
>>51964056
>imblying I just erased all the ogl code
I made a different dll for the dx12 renderer

>Your regret was using the piece of shit that is DX12
both vulkan/dx12 are going the same road
well, dx12 did have some bullshit going on with the msdn pages having discrepancies with the actual lib. Even with the "this is not final" disclaimer, it was annoying as fuck.

>>51964075
i don't get you, senpai
>>
>>51964099
literal shill
>>
>>51964099
If you can just revert, then what's the fucking regret? Wasted time/effort? You're a programmer. There's no such thing as wasted time or effort. It's always a learning experience.
>>
>>51964122
Learning a dead on arrival API is pretty wasteful desu.
It's like how I learned Pygame when I wanted to get into gamedev.
Or how I learned python when I wanted to get into programming.
Or how I learned programming when I thought it would land me a job
>>
>>51964099
Hello, please remove all traces of dx12 from whatever it is you're doing and than do all the work again for Vulkan.

I use GNU/Linux which cares about free and open source software so it is important you use Valve Vulkan. Thank you!
>>
>>51963979
nvidia only begrudgingly supports open formats when nobody uses their crap like cuda.
>>
>>51964145
>It's like how I learned Pygame when I wanted to get into gamedev.

Even if PyGame is shit, I'm sure you still learned some concepts about structuring your game and whatnot.
>>
>>51960156
>people in poo-in-loo tier countries.

99% of the windows shills here on /g/ are from those countries.
>>
>>51964147
>free and open source software
>valve
lel.

>>51964165
I used cuda to crack my neighbor's wifi desu

>>51964171
desu, my prototyping speed with pygame was off the charts, I think there's something inherently fast about python, you can just hack your way into a working demo with horrible bullshit code
>>
>>51958511
It will coexist with it until hardware capable of vulkan becomes commonplace then opengl will be phased out over time.
>>
>>51964118
for what?
I just bashed both dx12 and vulkan, saying it shouldn't be adopted too early by everyone
am I shilling for opengl? kek

>>51964122
I could've been working on the actual project I'm still working on, instead of dicking around for no reason than curiosity or whatever
>>
>>51964206
OpenGL will live on forever as a compatibility layer over Vulkan.
>>
>>51964206
> hardware capable of vulkan
My GTS 450 will be capable of vulkan.
How far back does it have to go?
>>
>>51964210
>they shouldn't be adopted too early
>people should wait for them to mature first
>therefore nobody adopts them and they never mature

Is it even mathematically possible for you to be more retarded?
>>
>>51964235
ok, I worded that wrong
people shouldn't get too excited too fast
>>
>>51964220
GCN and Nvidia since Fermi should support vulkan. The situation is less clear when you start to bring ARM GPUs into it though.
>>
>>51964189
>>free and open source software
>>valve
>lel.
What's amusing?
Valve have a good business promoting GNU/Linux and freedom respecting software. Over at reddit.com/r/linux we are big supports of Valve for their efforts, feel free to join us, together we can take down proprietary software and Microsoft!
>>
>>51964250
>people shouldn't get excited over an API because release day bugs determine the quality of the entire thing forever
>>
>>51964283
oh fuck off
>>
>>51964275
That looks pretty tasty anon
>>
>>51963858
Wut, Diablo 2 works perfectly for me.
Do you use Playonlinux?
>>
>>51964294
You sure are ignorant and rude, they're right you know.
>>
>>51964294
>i can no longer mask the retardation in my logic and retort with a knee-jerk profanity
>>
>>51964294
>autism, the post
>>
>>51964329
>>51964323
>>51964314
so "people shouldn't get too excited too early" is the equivalent of "people shouldn't use it"?
>>
>>51963979

My personal theory is DX12 (and by extension vulkan) caught Nvidia flat footed and they scrambled to try and get microsoft to play by their rules by MS is looking at the bigger picture and is concerned with losing their gaming stranglehold.

12_1 exists just to calm huang's tits.
>>
>>51963756
>tutorials
Just read the manual, autists.
>>
>>51964294
The funny part is that this isn't even the guy, just a random troll who took advantage of the context.

The even funnier part is that this really is the guy and will try to save face by agreeing that it isn't him.

>Captcha: find the wheelchairs
>>
>>51960174
They also support directx 12. Good engines make use of all graphics libraries for proper cross platform support.
>>
>>51964336
Nobody said that, there's no reason people shouldn't be excited and I think it's stupid of you to tell them otherwise without good reason. Your whole premise is "I personally didn't have a good experience with porting from OGL to DX12, somehow this means nobody should be excited for new technologies that are not these 2 things". Like come on dude, that's not a great reason and it's highly subjective on both sides anyway, what point are you trying to make?
>>
>>51963842
DirectX became king because Microsoft's only skin in the game is to make Windows the best gaming platform, period. Their legacy support is also unmatched.
Games being locked to one platform doesn't mean much when everybody uses it. And they use it because it's the one undergoing development.

Even though AMD had a profit motive in continuing development of Mantle, they dropped it. OpenGL has a history of failure going back over a decade. Why are you rooting for Vulkan to unseat DirectX when it's only going to eventually fall apart like every other freetard effort due to there being no motive to actually finish anything?

Why would you think a world of fractured APIs is a good thing? "Before installing, I'd better make sure my kernel supports OpenBS 2.53!"
The potential to be cross-platform does not imply the presence of cross-platform support. Developers are bad enough with patch support as it is with Windows as their entire market. How much worse would it be broken into 0.5% market share platforms? It'll be like the old MS-DOS days, except instead of using custom autoexec.bat and config.sys files per game, we'll be booting into a different distro for each one.

API development should be handled by a party independent of game and hardware developers who has a profit motive in making and keeping the platform as good as it can be. It doesn't have to be Microsoft, but they've done a pretty good job of it. Hardware wouldn't be where it is today, and OpenGL, Mantle, and Vulkan wouldn't be where they are today if they hadn't had the DirectX spec to go by.
>>
>>51964440
I doubt you're being sincere and cannot give you the benefit of the doubt given the place we're at, sorry.
>>
>>51959929
>implying graphic card vendors currently have any interest in making decent OpenGL drivers for their graphics cards
>>
>>51964440

>Even though AMD had a profit motive in continuing development of Mantle, they dropped it

Mantle is still in development anon - its powering their LiquidVR tech.
>>
>>51964365
If the balls are in my mouth, it isn't enough. I have to be visibly gagging on them to get off.
>>
>>51964354
oh fuck off
>>
>>51964478
Good to know that even though my Mantle® games will no longer play, it's still "powering" something completely unrelated.
>>
>>51964623

How about you stop and realise that 1) mantle still works in supporting games and works quite well and 2) its because of mantle DX12 and vulkan are A Thing and facing off.

AMD just threw mantle into a lake and see which organisation took the bait - turns out both kronos and MS did.
>>
>>51964440
You have absolutely no clue about linux do you
>>
>>51963801
apart microsoft, they also provide it for windows 10 only and on the latest GPU only. With vulkan it shouldn't be the same. windows 7 should be supported and more GPU should have a support for it (older GPU).
About performances ? we can't really know. DX 12 and vulkan should have the same performances, but there is some articles saying that openGL was already better than DX 11. Dunno if that's true, but seeing that games under linux using openGL runs better than their version in windows using DirectX tends to prove that fact
watch : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM8qXbJqMvs
Killing directX will be good, no matter the perspective. Even for windows users.
>>
>>51964623
Why would mantle stop working?
>>
>>51963937
kek
diablo 2 runs better under linux than windows. recent GPU can't into old games without fucking up something. You can install it on windows and run it from linux with wine or just install it with playonlinux it works perfectly.
>>
>>51963944
xbox use directx but what about nintendo or the ps4 ? aren't they using openGL ?
>>
>>51964684
>its because of mantle DX12 and vulkan are A Thing
And I suppose Mantle is responsible for the existence of assembly, too?
Just because Mantle uncovered the benefit of a low level API in one area and Microsoft opened up tools so DirectX could likewise take advantage doesn't mean AMD invented DirectX.
>>
>>51963995
source ?
>>
>>51963937
I have a question regarding D2, because I used to love the shit out of D2 but the Itemshops/bots and fucking scripting kids in pvp made it no fun for me..
Still love ww/trap assa to death also rabis/furry was so much fun.
Is its still infested with all the stuff I said above?
>>
>>51958454
>legal review

So some poes lawyer is holding it back?
>>
>>51964853

MS has basically left DX to rot as they considered it a mature pieceo f software. When AMD saw that dude from DICE jumping around they smelled a comeptitive edge and took it. DX12 was never really meant to enter the PC space as its primarily born out of the xbone project but with AMD taking mantle and hyping it up MS absolutely will not sacrifice its hold on vidya so for MS it was easier just to port DX12 to windows and release it than risk mantle and vulkan gaining traction.
>>
>>51964857
I was referring to the pdf on Khronos' Vulkan page. I thought that was a list of companies supporting Vulkan, I didn't know that was just their NASCAR swag of companies USING Khronos stuff. I redact my previous statement.
>>
>>51964275
Valve is a shity money grabing company which gets buttmad when confronted with actualy costumer friendlyness aka you can give back your game if its shit which EU pushed on them. Or that they confront kids with serious gambling stuff(crates +keys) and give them gambling addictions. Valve is one hell of a shady company and all the fanboy gaymer kids fall for thier marketing. fuck valve
>>
File: 1449411198989.gif (1 MB, 305x360) Image search: [Google]
1449411198989.gif
1 MB, 305x360
>>51960198

I'm not the quoted, but take this:
>>
>>51964828
OpenGL ES specifically for previous generations, not sure about current ones.
>>
>>51964882
Anyone that plays D2 any way except solo or coop with friends is an idiot.

>baww he doesn't like what i like
It's not an opinion, it's a fucking fact. D2 wasn't meant to be played that way. Stop being a nugamer moron and play games right.
>>
FUCKING RELEASE IT ALREADY
If you edge me a bit more my balls will literally explode
>>
>>51964961
See
>>51964891
And blame lawyers
>>
>>51960156
>poo-in-the-loo

Yes. I am from a country that poos in the loo, thanks for recognising that Dinesh. Now, stop shitting in the street and get back to shilling Windows 10.
>>
>>51964955
>HE ENJOYS SOMETHING IN A WAY I DON`T
wow you are autistic as fuck mate
>>
>2 week holidays
>time to learn some fucking vulkan
>DELAYED LMAO
shit
>>
>>51964718
>apart microsoft, they also provide it for windows 10 only and on the latest GPU only. With vulkan it shouldn't be the same. windows 7 should be supported and more GPU should have a support for it (older GPU).
Moron, you can't add GPU support for features the GPU doesn't support.
"Vulkan means my Riva TNT will have hardware T&L!" Sorry, but that didn't come out until the Geforce 256.
Your DirectX 9 card doesn't support DirectX 11 features for a reason. It doesn't have the hardware. It isn't Microsoft gimping your card, it's Microsoft moving forward with features that can be added to new cards. Developers are welcome to add a code path for your old version.
Windows 7 does get DX12 when you upgrade to Windows 10. It's free so there's no excuse.
>>
>>51958511

They will coexist.
>>
How is OpenGL an abomination?
>>
>2016 the end of DirectX ?
Y-yeah, s-sure.
>>
>>51960063
> want to make game for both Windows and OSX
> guess I have to duplicate my efforts over two different graphics APIs
> or I could just do one cross-platform one
>>
>>51964145
>Or how I learned programming when I thought it would land me a job
It will if you're in the right area and know a commonly-used language that isn't a commodity (Java and PHP won't take you very far).

In the SF bay area, the Austin, TX area, and Seattle/Portland among others (I've heard the market in Boston is starting to develop) and you're good with Python, Ruby, JavaScript, Objective-C, Swift, and/or Go and can prove your capabilities (side projects on github) you'll probably be able to land a job pretty easily. At least for the moment, there's huge demand for quality developers in these areas that isn't being met... it's so bad that $2k-$5k+ referral bonuses are a thing.
>>
>>51965337
I know ada, object pascal and lua.
My main concerns are making esoteric experimental video games.
And I live in an eastern post soviet country.

What are my chances?
>>
If it means I don't have to switch to Winshit 10 or that I can finally move to loonix then I'm all for this thing
>>
>>51965515
The lack of vendor and OS version lock-in is kind of the point. There's been talk that support on Windows could go back as far as XP, but I doubt we'll see it go any further than Vista due to XP's EOL status.
>>
>>51965499
Anon, if you expect to make money writing code you have to be able to write code that companies actually find useful. None of those are very useful in the real world, aside from maybe lua since it's commonly used in game UIs.

Maybe you could make money by submitting shitloads of WoW addons (they're written in lua) to curse.com and making money off of their author program? I dunno.

You might also be able to make it in the indie game world if you market the quirky factor of your games hard enough.
>>
>>51965580
I once wrote a WoW macro that deleted all of the player's inventory and gear when run and spread it on ownedcore claiming it's an exploit.

Nobody paid me money for that, though.
>>
2016 THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP MY ANUS IS READY OH PLEASE I NEED THE VULKAN COCK
>>
>>51958511
No. OpenGL is the fastest and most used graphics API. So fuck off
>>
>>51960156
My computer runs loonix and is probably 4 times your shit rig cost
>>
>>51965731
actually watched a presentation at gdc by some guys with a benchmarking tool who said that directx is usually faster than opengl(I think it was part of the nsight presentation)
>>
>>51965773
lmao, okay kiddo.
>>
So, what platform's going to step up to make Vulkan relevant?
>Xbox One: nope
>Windows: nope
>iOS: nope
>PS4: signs unclear
>Android: I said relevant
>>
>>51965877
Nvidia, Intel, and AMD disagree
>>
>>51965967
>nvidia nsight presentation
>nvidia disagrees
uhh..
>>
>>51965877
Was the comparison done on Windows?
>>
>>51965966
>Xbox One: nope
>PS4: signs unclear
Those are consoles and consoles always use proprietary stuff from the platform holder. Even PSGL was a heavily modified version of OpenGL ES.

>Windows: nope
Yes, there are working drivers for Windows that are being readied for a January launch. Maybe not WP, but desktop Windows is definitely getting drivers.

>iOS: nope
Not at the moment, but they could be holding on like they did with more recent OpenGL ES versions.

>>Android: I said relevant
>#1 mobile OS out there
>"Irrelevant"
Right...

So in short, platforms that will get support from the get-go:
>Windows
>Linux
>Android

Platforms that are likely to get support at some point down the road:
>OSX
>iOS
>Nintendo NX

Platforms that probably won't get support:
>Consoles
>WP
>>
>>51958438
Graphs dont lie
>>
>>51965992
https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl
>>
File: page14.png (121 KB, 1267x713) Image search: [Google]
page14.png
121 KB, 1267x713
>>51958511

Nope. I hope you like API proliferation.
>>
'no'
>>
>>51965034

We've come a long way from fixed pipeline to programmable pipeline.
Not every feature has to have physical chip on board.
>>
File: download_20151220_124407.jpg (91 KB, 370x480) Image search: [Google]
download_20151220_124407.jpg
91 KB, 370x480
>>51966560
>>
I was about to program an Ultima Online client from scratch with OpenGL. Should I cancel my project and wait for Mantle?
>>
>>51967100
No
>>
>>51967486
I was going to target OGL 3.2 anyway, for compatibility reasons.
>>
>>51967508
Optimized openGL is anywhere from 5 to 20 times faster than DirectX. It'll never go away especially for web shit. Mantle is pretty much created for games specifically which is great... and also means it won't replace gl
>>
>>51962025
But anon, OS X is already a gay men platform.
>>
File: 1339365843294.jpg (73 KB, 390x469) Image search: [Google]
1339365843294.jpg
73 KB, 390x469
>>51967598
>Optimized openGL is anywhere from 5 to 20 times faster than DirectX.
>>
>>51960063
AMD dropped Mantle because of D3D12 and Vulkan, retard. Not because the project was hopeless, but because the new projects were essentially the same as Mantle, without the brand attachment from AMD.

AMD knows their brand is currently Shit. So removing the association means it'll actually get adopted, they'll get the optimisation's they need to survive post-maxwell, and they don't even need to waste money on it anymore. Microsoft and KHG are doing that for them.
>>
>>51958454
>>51958438
>Vulkan is ready.
>Finally.
>2016 the end of DirectX ?

but it's release date is being pushed back, that's hardly a good thing. In fact, as far as things relating to video games and computers goes, that's actually a really fucking bad thing
>>
>>51967652
It's literally a quote from Intel
>>
>>51967652
Here's nvidia saying they can make it 7 to 15 times faster
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/opengl-gdc2014/

.. considering it's on par with DirectX... normally... the guy is right
>>
File: 1310429527116.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1310429527116.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>51968503
>403 forbidden
>>
>>51963654
you're retarded
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-20-14-35-00.jpg (490 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-20-14-35-00.jpg
490 KB, 1080x1920
>>51968527
His link works fine you're retarded or what?
>>
>>51968559
It 403s in vivaldi. inb4 >vivaldi
>>
>>51968527
>>51968503
Got in using this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150910022546/http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/opengl-gdc2014/
>>
>>51968581
Hahaha what a fucking faggot. Stick to direct x you Bill gates cock loving nigger
>>
Good to see you anons agree that removing MS's hold of the gaming industry is a must.
>>
>>51965499
You sound like my classmate, isn't your name Adam?
>>
>>51968785
What "hold"? You mean that of providing the superior product?
DirectX was the best thing that could've happened to gaming. The alternative was hardware vendors pushing proprietary APIs like Glide.
An open standard was never going to work since the committee members are each pushing their own agenda. Microsoft cut through the ineffectualness of OpenGL and the anticompetitive Glide and said, "We'll do this." And they have. OpenGL has only gone anywhere because they eventually get around to agreeing to what Microsoft has specified.
Without Microsoft, gaming will go nowhere.
>>
>>51958819
>implying normies even care
They're still going to stick with windows, iirc lots of AAA devs are already moving to dx12.
People are comfortable with windows, they've been using it much longer, it has better drivers and much better software.
Gimp will never match Photoshop.
Libre office will never match Microsoft office.
Linux is shit for laptop battery life.
>>
This is easily the most delusional thread I've ever seen.
Look at all these hopeful dorks thinking that linux is suddenly going to be viable to those hundreds of millions of normies just because a cross platform low level graphics api is going to be released.
How are you going to solve the problem that is minimal effort from NVidia and zero effort from AMD to develop even proprietary drivers for linux?
>>
>>51962234
Hasn't it always been AMD/ati behind these shifts in the market?
After 3dfx of course.
>>
>>51969162
Fuck off ghanadi
>>
>>51969162
Uh no. openGL has always been further along and faster. Windows only implemented part to slow it down in the past. OpenGL is still by far the most used graphics API.. DirectX only dominates in very specific: desktop computer games
>>
File: steambench-biggest.004-640x480.jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
steambench-biggest.004-640x480.jpg
46 KB, 640x480
>>51969360
This.
Opengl is already faster than directx, Linux is more lightweight than windows, yet games still run like trash on Linux.
>>
>>51969367

They are behind a lot yes (they were first to GDDR5 for example). HBM has beaten Nvidia's HMC or whatever they called it as a memory standard.
>>
>>51967508
Why 3.2 - 3.1 is supported by intel drivers on most laptops and the best features were introduced in 3.3?
>>
>>51969406
>yet games still run like trash on Linux.
That's because the driver model with OpenGL and DX11 is incredibly dumb
>>
File: 1412858609075.jpg (32 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
1412858609075.jpg
32 KB, 398x500
>>51963707
you mongoloid don't listen to this freetard >>51963824 gahnoo ploos loonecks is for fat autistic virgin faggots and pedos. Just use windows 7/8.1 you fucking goy.
>>
>>51969406
The free opengl drivers aren't finished. It'll take many more years to mature.
>>
File: steambench-biggest.001-640x480.jpg (42 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
steambench-biggest.001-640x480.jpg
42 KB, 640x480
>>51969461
It's not just the drivers, steamOS needs to mature too.
They should have just stuck to ubuntu.
>>
>>51969520
shut the fuck up goy, use windows
>>
>>51969406
>still run like trash on linux
>using shit ports that use a fucking wrapper instead of using opengl properly as evidence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM8qXbJqMvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nASDQCPjxOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdEftFFG_I

even with wine we can have good performances
https://youtu.be/TRkMhcvVKyE
>>
>>51969539
yes yes yes tell these retarded goyim to get back to windows it;s the best system of operations
>>
>>51969396
>Uh no. openGL has always been further along and faster
Ah, so the reason no games us it is because... for some reason they want to be slower and limited to a single platform?
DirextX surpassed OpenGL around the TNT2 era, and nobody has talked about OpenGL since.
>>
>>51969673
Because, as said, Microsoft implemented it badly in purpose and was also sued for it. Learn history stupid fuck
>>
>>51969673
> nobody talks about openGL
Except for the fact it's the most used GPU API due to everything using it except winshit and xbox
>>
The king is dead.

Long live the king.
>>
>>51969559
>using an unsupported code path on an unsupported client
>>
>>51969731
>Except for the fact it's the most used GPU API
For areas where performance and features mean nothing.
>>
>>51969804
For areas where they mean the most*
>>
>>51969705
Ah, so that explains why Linux is the predominant OS for gaming. Microsoft gimped the superior API, meaning they couldn't even achieve parity with the Linux platform. All games were written for the superior API on the superior platform, which explains why the majority of desktops now run Linux.
>>
>>51969889
It is, non sarcasm. Desktop no, sure...
>>
>>51969889
> being this oblivious

Yes and Windows server is best server and incandescent lights are the best lights
>>
>>51960156
NICE EPIK B8 THERE GOYIM I RLY LIKE IT XdDDdDDdd 8/8 M8 I RLY LIKE IT M88888 HAHAHAHHAHAH ZXDDDDDDDDDD :DDDD
>>
>>51970273
Incandescent lights were cheap. Linux is free. You don't get any cheaper than that.
No wonder Linux took off. Beating Windows in every metric AND being free!
It feels so comfy playing my AAA games on OpenGL in Linux. It's obvious why that Windows and DirectX didn't go anywhere. Can you imagine someone trying to get you to PAY for a worse performing product?
>>
>>51970451

>No wonder Linux took off.

It really has - the desktop market is the only area where windows dominates. All other areas MS gets shat on by other operating systems. Linux makes up something stupid like 90% of all web server operating systems.
>>
>>51970273
>incandescent lights are the best lights

This statement is true. All luminaires are judged based on how well they can compare to an incandescent bulb using the scale CRI. An incandescent bulb is perfect. All other bulbs are not.
>>
The real question is will it get a conversion layer.

The one for DX to OGL has sat unused, but a real change won't happen until older software can join in on the fun.
>>
>>51970518
Funny that: the only area where graphics matters is the area where the market has resoundingly spoken on graphics APIs.
>>
>>51970451
Yes it has. Sad winshit and DirectX are only top in the desktop market... and not even top performance there
>>
File: steambench-biggest.002-640x480.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
steambench-biggest.002-640x480.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
>>51970803
Better than fucking Linux at least.
>>
>>51970803
Windows is on top because it has no competition. OpenGL and Linux? Don't make me laugh.
>>
>>51970838
No it isn't. If you have broken drivers on Linux it performs "ok" if they're broken on Windows it doesn't work at all. Mad?
>>
>>51970756
Because it built itself as a franchise with smart business moves over superior software, this is how MS has been very successful.

After many home systems crashed due to last minute changes in hardware that games were dependent on DX came about as a way to make graphics universal and not dependent on hardware. A smart move and MS had already marketed Doom for Win95 as a way to push its OS.

Funny enough not long after when early VGA adapters came out, ones with OpenGL actually ran Quake faster. So yes OGL took the lead right out of the gate. But the idea of DX was already in place, Windows was already shipping largely preinstalled, and people are scared of change and pre-large use of the internet were largely unaware of it.
>>
>>51970846
That's why it's <15% of games right?
>>
>>51970667
>The one for DX to OGL has sat unused
a lot of linux ports are using this shit, and that's why the performances aren't good sometimes
>>
>>51970944
Tfw these idiots can't understand history and will ignore this post

Tfw Windows didn't fully implement openGL to get idiots to think it's worse
>>
>>51970977
Reality disagrees with your delusional freetard view of history. "OPENGL IS DA BEST!" No, DirectX surpassed it. OpenGL hasn't even been on the map for 15 years because of how far behind it's continually been. Quake was the last time it was relevant, and only then because not everyone had a 3dfx chip to run it in Glide.
>>
>>51971161
No it doesn't. Proof from Intel, nvidia and AMD has been posted. I could give a fuck less about openGL being open source, but it is superior
>>
>>51960063
>Vulkan is just rebranded Mantle
Wrong. It's built on top of its debris and made much better
>>
>>51971161
Go back to b, idiot
>>
>>51970940
So without AMD, Nvidia or Intel drivers there's no display on a windows machine?
>>
>>51971381
> implying anyone else matters.
> implying micro shaft has better coders
>>
>>51960174
>Why would I make a use of DX12 if Vulkan is approximately on the same performance level

Because Microsoft pays you to.
>>
>>51971197
Opengl is open source as much as HTML is open source. HTML is not a software and neither is Opengl - they are open specifications.
>>
>>51958438
I'm already not using DirectX because it makes your screens go black for 1-2 seconds to enter full screen mode
OpenGL does this in 50ms or so but it's context creation is slower than DirectX (150ms vs 0ms) because of shitty drivers
If Vulkan does both things well I'll switch immediately
Otherwise I'll ignore it and use OpenGL forever
>>
>>51971487
Ok? Idc
>>
>>51971197
>I see what I want to see
A symposium where the speaker tells everyone to go to the more interesting talk is your "proof"? You're really delusional enough to believe that OpenGL is 20X faster than DirectX and it must be because of some conspiracy that nobody uses it?
Go away.
>>
>>51971807
> conspiracy
Supreme court cases are well documented. Next you're going to say Microsoft master internet explorer by themselves
>>
>>51969804
Except in scientific simulations
>>
>>51971834
>A cross-platform API is 20x faster!
>Its performance being worse in Windows is my proof!
>>
>>51971882
Great retort. Good job proving me right
>>
>>51971984
>A cross-platform API is 20x faster!
>Its performance being worse in Windows is my proof!
>>
Who do you think will support Vulkan more, Nvidia or AMD? Initially I thought AMD would but they have been shilling dx12 lately while Nvidia still talk about vulkan regularly.
>>
Great threads. Do these fucking dumbasses really think Microsoft makes good software kek
>>
>>51972080
Year of the Linux desktop, amirite?
>>
>>51960063
>vulkan is available to everyone
>dx12 is only available to windows 10 users, who make up a pathetic 10% of all PC users
>metal is only available to os x users, who make up a pathetic 10% of all PC users
So who is going to actually use DX12 or Metal? Why would I, as a developer, try to use something that can only be utilized by 10% of my playerbase over something else that does the same thing and can be utilized by 100% of my playerbase?
>>
You'd have to be deluded to think anything will change. Gaming will still be almost exclusively DirectX with an occasional OpenGL port. Vulkan will see most of its use among cross platform graphical application developers, scientific application developers, and mobile developers.

AAA game dev studios are not going to start using Vulkan suddenly. The best you could hope for is the indie crowd picking it up, which would be contingent on popular engines like Unity releasing Vulkan builds.
>>
>>51967964
I remember reading AMD started mantle just to show how shitty directx is and try to kickstart alternative api development
>>
>>51970977
You are right. Not sure why I try. Can't think of the game that caused the push for DX.

I remember it was prepackaged on a major computer carrying early Windows and due to a change basically everyone that bought it crashed it trying to play the game. Can't think of its name though its been so long.

>>51971161
When it initially released it was about 1.5x to 2x faster. Things went backforth for years with money getting DX a lot more support, but OGL gained the high ground again awhile ago.

>>51972123
Good point, but DX is part of how Windows pushes people to the next version of windows sadly.
>>
>>
>>51972422
Source: http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/60544/why-do-game-developers-prefer-windows
>>
>no memeA with Vulkan
>>51972321
see
>>51963567
no shut up fag
>>
>>51964034
underrated post
>>
>>51965966
>>Android: I said relevant
You didn't though, you never said relevant platforms, you only said platforms, Android is a platform wether it's relevant or not you fucking retard.
>>
>>51965034
>windows 7 gets dx12 when you update to a different version of windows
That's not windows 7 then you fool.
>>
File: pepe1.png (41 KB, 577x662) Image search: [Google]
pepe1.png
41 KB, 577x662
>this means hl3 is ready
>mfw
>>
TL;DR ITT Freetards got BTFO as usually. Top kek.
>>
>>51973745
you're aware that vulkan is not about linux only but it's also about windows itself, OS X, android or consoles ?
>>
File: 9345893487.gif (4 KB, 478x492) Image search: [Google]
9345893487.gif
4 KB, 478x492
>>51973798
>being this much of a fan(cc)boi
>>
File: 1445706211452.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1445706211452.gif
2 MB, 200x200
FINALLY!
>>
>>51959689
>I never liked Steam or Valve but if it means killing Microsoft then they're okay

It will also work on Windows, you know.
It does not kill Windows, but an API that is OS agnostic is of course always preferable.
>>
>>51972418
>Can't think of the game that caused the push for DX.
I don't think there was any specific game. However, back then there were _many_ companies making 3D graphics chips; for a while the only good OpenGL implementation for non-workstation hardware was Nvidia's. DirectX 5+ was actually quite simple and you didn't have to implement fucktons of bloat nobody could use in real time graphics to call it a complete implementation.
>>
File: steambench-biggest.004.jpg (235 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
steambench-biggest.004.jpg
235 KB, 1024x768
>>51959689
>implying valve can coordinate anything significant outside of selling hats to cuckolds
>>
>>51976371
that's pretty bad
>1792 x 1120 resolution
that's even worse
>>
>>51973488
shit i never thought about that, this is why valve is holding hl3 back

when it comes, it's going to be awesome and blow minds
>>
File: 234353450386540.gif (381 KB, 590x265) Image search: [Google]
234353450386540.gif
381 KB, 590x265
>>51976764
kek
>>
Can someone explain how fast can 50 programmers switch to a different API/platform together?
Isn't it all about current workflow so it would take at least a year or two?

Plus my theory is that dx12 is opened up xbone api transferred to PC.
So from gamedev perspective isn't it easier to use dx12 for everything except ps4?
>>
File: 1449435011506.jpg (773 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449435011506.jpg
773 KB, 1000x1000
Here does "dx12 is opened up xbone api transferred to PC" comes from? Is it another sage from our old toe cheese eating friends?
>>
>>51976895
Timing mostly. Developed for 5 years or so they say - years when MS didn't care about PC whatsoever, announced one month after mantle, xbone failed sales etc.
Xbone architecture is GCN from AMD with unified memory quirks. Isn't it one of the most resource saving things to port it to PC?
>>
>>51976982
Thanks. What a beautiful meme.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.