[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this make you feel /g/ What will you do when data
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: kon2_3.jpg (73 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
kon2_3.jpg
73 KB, 620x349
How does this make you feel /g/

What will you do when data caps are the standard?

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/12/19/if-you-dont-already-hate-your-internet-provider-yo.aspx?source=foo-bar&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=yahoo
>>
>>51955939
Not going to happen here in the UK. Caps are long gone from mainstream home internet packages. Feels good.
>>
>implying they'll do this somewhere with google fiber
>>
>>51955939
>less than three months ago my ISP upgraded my capped data plan to unlimited
>in bumfuck New Zealand
>>
>>51955939
>What will you do when data caps are the standard?
Probably go outside more. Maybe lose my virginity to a fat hooker. Live a little, you know. Hmm, I am sort of looking forward to caps now! Thanks, Anon!
>>
>>51955966
We still have shit internet speeds though.
rip
>>
>>51956028
I got 105/50 unlimited in whangarei for 69 bucks a month
>>
>>51956057
I'm pretty sure they upgraded me to unlimited because I can't get anything better than ADSL here, but it's the thought that counts.

Now I can actually patch Star Citizen monthly.
>>
I already have gigabit for 20€ a month, can't reasonably believe they could pull that shit.
>>
File: comcast-quota.png (9 KB, 432x369) Image search: [Google]
comcast-quota.png
9 KB, 432x369
>not spoofing your data
>>
File: 1336936669202.jpg (14 KB, 300x291) Image search: [Google]
1336936669202.jpg
14 KB, 300x291
Since this is an additional fee without any extra service rendered as a consequence, I'm guessing the average cost of service isn't going to change much.

Yeah, I suppose it could be one excuse to silently push for an extra fee and just increase the bill for consumers across-the-board, but I'd speculate that in general, since they'll be charging more to folks who use more, so they can afford to charge less for the rest of us that don't approach the caps.

The extra benefit they derive is attracting more customers from lower base subscription fee.

Although, I feel like as a consumption-driven economy, the overall effect on our society can be negative if we're unnecessarily disincentivising citizens from using and ultimately relying on technology and services. We wanna encourage modernity and embracing of the fruits of a knowledge economy.

Still I think it's possible to take that into account when setting data caps reasonably that still bring down prices for most folks a bit... I just wish the cable companies didn't have such a monopoly over how the caps will be set and what will be charged for them since they basically have no competition and internet access is now often a necessity considering how much the world relies on it.
>>
>>51956517
>Yeah, I suppose it could be one excuse to silently push for an extra fee and just increase the bill for consumers across-the-board, but I'd speculate that in general, since they'll be charging more to folks who use more, so they can afford to charge less for the rest of us that don't approach the caps.
Comcast is already doing this, and no, they haven't cut fees for the base package, they just charge you overages, or in some markets an extra fee for an unlimited package. It's purely a way to make up for the revenue they're starting to lose from cord-cutters. No monopoly provider ever cuts prices, anon, stop being so painfully naive.
>>
>>51955939
Move to a first world country like Australia.
I have unlimited 100mb fibre + line rental (despite it now being a purely voip system now that they cut the copper) for $100/month.
>>
>>51956517
>they'll be charging more to folks who use more, so they can afford to charge less for the rest of us that don't approach the caps.
to cover what costs?
network maintenance is a myth
>>
>>51956631
Aus fag here too, can't get fiber where i am though which sucks. But even with my slowish speeds i don't have any data caps.
>>
>>51956727
you'd actually be surprised how little it matters
only huge companies have Australian servers that can handle 100mbit
>>
>>51955939
Fuck this gay earth

I'll just go for a doctorate and get tenure so I can keep leeching off of that sweet gigabit school internet
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.