[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lightweight Desktop Environments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
Which is best? Discuss.
>>
>>51953250
GNOME3

/thread
>>
MATE
>>
>>51953261
>lightweight
>>
>>51953250
Awesome with Xfce is faster than any other DE and way better, too.
>>
File: 1.png (14 KB, 501x383) Image search: [Google]
1.png
14 KB, 501x383
>>51953261
>>
>>51953261
I love gnome 3, but it is not lightweight.
>>
Hope you like screen tearing
>>
>>51953319
What do you get that awesome doesn't on its own ?
Other than login manager
>>
Xfce and Mate are not lightweight. LXDE is fairly lightweight, but given its limited feature set, you may as well use a window manager as-is, which would indeed be much more lightweight than any of those options.

Fluxbox or Openbox should be all you need. It's just going to take a while to install all the basic applications you want to use and configure your menu files.
>>
>>51953366
xfce-whiskermenu alone is enough, but having a functional desktop and a right-click-menu that's actually useful is also really cool.
>>
>>51953353
>2017
>not using compton
>>
>>51953431
And how would I go about doing this ? Just install awesome over xfce and select as wm ?
>>
>>51953250
>using a DE and not a WM by itself
None, they're all too heavy
>>
>>51953506
Yeah you just install awesome and then select it as your wm in xfce4's settings. Make sure you also set awesome to autostart.

You also might want to get rid of awesome's menu bar, but it's optional. I left them on because it's cool
>>
>>51953424
How are XFCE and Mate not lightweight in the world of DE's? What *is* lightweight then?
>>
>>51953539
>What *is* lightweight then?
dwm
>>
>>51953483
Compton reduces the tearing but it's still there.
>>
Enlightment. You could just use a window manager like i3.
>>
>>51953353
>I don't know how to use compton
>>
They are neither light nor good

The best you can get on linux is riced GNOME or cobbled together shit
>>
>>51953632
found the macfag
>>
Neither of them are exactly "lightweight".
Well maybe lxde after shedding some weight.
>>
>>51953640
The best thing about gnome is that you can make it not an OS X clone with enough css and javascript
>>
>>51953250
lxde with spectrwm
>>
Plot twist

I3wm

/thread
>>
>>51953250
I dunno about lightweight, but MATE juzt werks compared to XFCE. XFCE requires a bit more tweaking to be normie-proof. On the other hand, MATE provides less customization.

No idea about LXDE, haven't used it in years. I'm installing it right now just to check how it works these days.
>>
LXQT
X
Q
T
>>
>>51954571
Fucking this, best DE ever.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.