[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fellow Master Race Linux users, Those of you who switched from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 7
File: linux-windows.jpg (63 KB, 890x517) Image search: [Google]
linux-windows.jpg
63 KB, 890x517
Fellow Master Race Linux users,

Those of you who switched from either OS X or Wincrap to Linux, why?

Why did you choose freedom?
>>
Because /g/ shilled me into it.
>>
Because it's free.
>>
1. It's free (as in every meaning of it!)
2. It just werks
>>
it just happened I have no idea why

at first it was mint in a virtual machine
then sabayon on a hard drive
and then I transferred all files over to the linux drive like music and stuffs
and then sabayons terrible package manager broke
and then I installed gentoo
and other operating systems completely disappeared from my life
>>
>>51952738
free
runs good on pos 10 year old pc
60% of my ram isnt tied up updating files that do nothing anyway
>>
>>51952738
- more frequent system updates
- more secure
- easily customizable
- not a botnet (meme point needed)
- better support community
- free (and libre)
- much less cpu overhead
- lots of variety in distros
- can run distros off USBs easily
- package managers (installed and usable by default)
- can decide on which release model I wish to use
>>
>>51952738
to stop my gaymen addiction
>>
I fell for the "Linux is cool obscure techie shit" meme in high school and wanted to learn more.
>>
>>51952738
picked it up orginally because i fell for the meme like this guy >>51953149 but i stuck with it because its faster, does everything i need, and im still falling for the meme
>>
>>51952738
Mainly because windows 7 annoyed the heck out of me. that stupid file permission bullshit in the program files made my software stop working if i installed them to the program files folder. that was the last straw, so i dual booted ubuntu for a while, then dual booted with mint for a while. then I just removed windows and went distro hopping with everything from solydx to elementaryOS and OpenSUSE and so on. until I installed Arch with xfce. Now I am using ubuntu gnome.

I like the full control over my own computer. something windows users do not have access to.
>>
>>51953116
this
>>
Started using it just for fun, to learn a thing or two but eventually stopped dual booting at all since I can do everything I need on Leenux + it's much faster in terms of setting things up/getting that comfy environment.
>>
I can actually fix it

>but I don't contribute because I'm too lazy to sign an email up
>>
Window:s needed 10 minutes to boot, and 3 to start a browser vs Ubuntu: needed 1 minute to boot and started Firefox in 10 seconds.

It was a crappy family computer, and I wanted to program, but didn't have the admin password to install the necessary software.

My father installed Ubuntu on a laptop when the HD failed and we lost XP, and I loved GNOME 2. The level of customizability was fun. The first thing I did when I used windows 98 with 4 years was to change the position of the task bar, and nobody knew how to revert it, so I guess i'm into those things.

I still use that computer (even though it's from 2005) and have installed Fedora 23 + XFCE), which is running great with 1GB of RAM.

Free Software on Linux > Free software on Windows.

I was always horrible at playing video games, so I never got the horrible addiction many children, man-children and teenagers are suffering from. And my mother always protected me from weapon culture, so I never got interested in those kinds of things anyway.

I admired people who could use the command line when I was a kid, so *NIX was natural for me.

etc.
>>
>>51953321
>sheltered from weapon culture
Damn you're a bitch, I'm enjoying my software freedoms with muh 2nd ammendment freedoms.
>>
>>51953484
Yeah, it's different when you're parents had to flee from war. There is no need for guns in a modern society.

>>>/k/
>>
>>51952738
>freedom
>Linux
Kek
>>
>>51953550
Syrian refugee, be gone.
>>
>>51953550
Eurocuck detected.
>>
>>51953622
>Yugoslavia
FTFY

>>51953656
You're just jealous that I'm not in constant fear of being shot by a machine gun or whatever that they carry around in self protection. No wonder you don't leave your houses.
>>
I use Windows because its free.

As in free time.

Screw you NetworkManage/wpa_supplicant!
>>
>>51953716
>playing the armchair psychologist charade
Wow, when you learned to read minds over internet?
>>
>>51953550
>>51953550
Appreciating the reality and base utility of the concept if firearms can is fine as long as we don't get into specifics or ramble.

>There is no need for guns in a modern society.
Fuck off libtard.
>>r/linux
>>
Screw you Linux! I'm sick and tired of your bullshit!

Windows is more free than linux.

Not free as in freedom, nor free as in free beer.

Free as in time.

If i open one more askubuntu, stack overflow or superuser page, i will throw up.

wpa_supplicant is a mess. NetworkManager is a meme. WICD crashes all the time.

Hosting a HotSpot with hostapd is impossible unless you use Ubuntu.

GNOME is slow. XFCE is ugly. KDE is a meme. LXDE is so lightweight my laptop started floating above my desk.

People argue Linux is customizable. Its has so much options, you dont know what the fuck to use! And most of the time the shit you need does not fucking work!
>>
Windows 8.1 took up 2gb of ram and it always required me to restart my computer for updates, its had too much security shit built into it, it was a strain on my hardware.

So i put ubuntu on my Inspiron and bought an Acer chromebook.

I love it. Its so fresh (so clean).
>>
>>51953994
>Ubuntu
>>
>>51954036
And Arch. And Fedora. And CentOS. And Manjaro.

Tried them all, all the same shit, just different package manager.
>>
>>51953953
>>51953746
Then please explain to me why people aren't being killed all the time in Europe because they don't have guns? I don't even understand what exactly you need them for?

>inb4 Warzones, middle east, etc.
The problem begins with the fact that they had guns delivered to begin with. How else should radical minorities be able to spark major conflicts?
>>
>>51954036
whats bad about ubuntoo
>>
>>51954072
>people isn't killed in europe
>he believes the overblown perception between gun crime and gun ownership
They have guns because they can.
>>
> tries CentOS for reliability
> nouveau crashes kernel instantly after lightdm

kek
>>
>>51954109
Hating Ubuntu in /g/ is a epic maymay anyways.
>>
>>51953994
this is what happens when a noob tries arch as his first distro without testing out stuff like ubuntu or mint first.
>>
>>51954132

Dude i have been using Linux since 2010. That is 6 years,

Did everything. Installed it on anything you can imagine, and used it.

Even a Arch chroot on my phone with X11.
>>
File: why_we_use_linux.jpg (234 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
why_we_use_linux.jpg
234 KB, 1680x1050
customization which is just impossible on windows.
Also fresh win install size of 30gb just feels bloated. It only increases in size too.

I love to be updated all the time by just typing "update" wich is an alias to my package manager's update cmd. Oh and i don't have to reboot either.
Ram usage is actually low.

multiple software choices for almost anything.

and most of all, no more fucking bluescreens.

Also pic related
>>
>>51952738
combination of shit hardware and an os that didn't cost me anything that I didn't need to pirate to get for free
>>
Small amount of games available on Linux made me more productive in the computer use.
Community is also good and very helpful if man can't help you.
Free as an air in the forest.
Consumption of Ram memory is so fucking low when you use wm like awesome or i3.
>>
Because I was bored. I installed Ubuntu. Then I installed Arch. Then Gentoo. Then Arch. Then Debian. Then Arch. Then Void. Then CRUX.

Help.
>>
>>51952738
Linux = freedom? Really? Explain to me exactly how any OS equates to freedom when you have NSA and GCHQ monitoring everything at ISP backbone levels. Somewhere you're gonna have to log into a Google or Apple or Microsoft account as well, which will also be tracked
>>
Using Windows seven and Linux mint.
Plan to use linux only in 2020 or earlier.

I like that you don't have to reboot for every shit, it's nicer to use, you don't have to fight your OS to change certain things.
>>
>>51953314
Yep, this
>>
>>51954287
They all just fell for the linux meme
>>
>>51954287
Freedom does not necessarily equate to "anti-surveillance", or "completely private".
>>
>>51953296
So what's it like running all those new games. Oh wait you don't.
>>
File: grumpy-cat-nope.png (409 KB, 2187x2496) Image search: [Google]
grumpy-cat-nope.png
409 KB, 2187x2496
>>51954287
>have to
last time i checked no one with a gun pointed at me yelled "LOG INTO A GOOGLE OR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW"
>>
>>51952738
1. Because freedom
2. Because the desktops available for it were so interesting, but now I consider tiling managers to be absolutely essential
3. Because it taught me things-- and yes I do use Linux at work and I do admin Linux servers
4. Because every programming language and/or environment is a
sudo apt-get install
away
>>
Hardware manufacturers are driven by hardware sales, which are driven by increasingly hardware hungry software (games being the leading culprit in this arena). Linux works efficiently as an os even on shit hardware. Thus hardware manufacturers don't really support it. Also, too many distros to support. Linux has always been absolute dogshit in the device driver and games arena. But for anything else its kinda ok-ish
>>
>>51954380
It's most likely that most games coming out in the next few years will be utilizing the Vulkan API.
We wait until then I guess.
>>
>>51954380
So what's it like having so much free time and no friends that you have to play video games all day, buddy?
>>
>>51954380
>Alien Isolation
>XCOM
>Chivalry
>Empire: Total War
>Kerbal Space Program
>Metro 2033
>etc.
It's been pretty great actually.
>>
I need a linux distro that looks nice but isn't clunky as fuck. I got this SL300 Thinkpad and it runs Vista... it's shit. It's slow, it takes time to alt tab, and I've seen the cursor literally stop because I'm touching the touchpad too much.

I need something that uses very little resources, because Chrome or Firefox is going to dedicate all the resources to background youtube vids and google docs. But I also would prefer it looks and works like a modern OS (like elementary OS).
>>
>>51954518
ubuntu minimal, and install a DE that you like, but steer away from KDE, because it's a resource hog
>>
>>51954372
been using linux for years and I had no idea about alt+mouse. Holy shit.
>>
>>51952738
I still have a Windows box for gaming. I use Linux for smb and ent stuff as well as for my htpc.
>>
>>51954518
strategy one: lightweight ubuntu
1. Get ubuntu
2. install window manager like Awesome or i3 or XFCE
3. Turn off and uninstall all the shit you don't use

strategy two: Arch
1. install Arch
2. install things you think you might need like a desktop + window manager (see above for options)
3. gradually find out that you need more and more stuff to really feel comfy-- just install as you go
4. It'll take time but you'll learn things and grow as a computer user

Only consider using something besides Winblows if you don't mind learning new things. Otherwise stay over there with the rest of the sheep and the retards.
>>
>>51954561
I don't need nice animations, I just need UI design that doesn't look like some gnu autist made it after getting out of middle school.
>>
>>51952738

When it came time to upgrade to Windows 8 I had a choice yet again and I was sick of feeling the way I did each time I chose windows, decided to give Linux a chance and never looked back.
>>
>>51954518
>bitches don't know how to install custom GTK or KDE themes.
>http://gnome-look.org/
>>
>>51954577
I've already used linux, that was my main operating system before college.
>>
>>51954587
Just use ubuntu minimal and install xfce
>>
> Those of you who switched from either OS X or Wincrap to Linux, why?
I just wanted something I can easily manage remotely. Back then 3G connections weren't even there yet. EDGE was slow as hell for M$ remote desktop, but it's sufficient for SSH-ing into Linux machines.

Nowadays, it's because Linux is easier to maintain as a host OS for VMs. My host OS is still Linux, I have several Linux and Windows VMs, each for different purposes. Every time something fucks up, just shut down the VM and rollback the disk image.
>>
>>51954445
Actually graphics drivers are really improved for Linux (actually I'm only speaking about Nvidia here since I've only ever used Nvidia cards). Deep learning relies on GPUs for computation so drivers are always up to date on that shit.

Only shit-tier problem for me that I've encountered FOREVER is wifi. Somehow, Macs always have the best wifi connections.
>>
>>51954645
You know what's better than manually managing windows to lay them out on screen? A tiling window manager.

Git gud noob.
>>
>>51954645
jesus christ I only discovered alt left mouse, now alt right mouse is even better. What the fuck I'm retarded.
>>
>>51954645
add text selection + middle click for "copy & paste"
>>
>>51954561
stop using ddr2 and you'll find the realm of possibilities have expanded
>>
Honestly? Because it appealed to my autistic side, all the commands and unknown things were like an unexplored super interesting world to me. Pure curiosity and enjoyment
>>
because this professor in college only used Linux for his programs and showed us how to compile everything in Linux with makefiles and stuff
tried it then and liked it, also took Linux bash class right after
>>
>>51954706
ddr2 memory
>>
>>51954670
Well how about Pantheon then? It may be made by autists, but at least these autists had a fashion style. Is Pantheon even supported outside of ElementaryOS?
>>
>>51954760
I didn't know there were so many people with downs syndrome on /g/

not more memory, more like not being poor so you can at least upgrade to ddr3.
>>
>>51953038
>linux
>just works
i bit
>>
>>51954372
>the fact alone that windows doesn't have alt + mouse window resizing and moving makes using it awkward as fuck.

First time I learned that... cool. been using linux for years without knowing that useful trick
>>
>>51954760

DDR3 memory is objectively better than DDR2.
You're missing the point, bud. He's saying you may need to use better hardware if you want it to be fast and lightweight and still have good animations.
If you don't want to put any money into it, then do what I said here >>51954610
>>
>>51954798
Search yourself, you know it to be true
>>
>>51954837
You should've already known since you seem to like browsing this board :^)
>>
>>51952738
The whole Windows 10 debacle made me switch, even though I was still running Win7.
>>
>>51954782
Okay then, instead of crying because I got owned; how about you tell me your preferred desktop environment. I'm installing ubuntu right now, and the second I do, I'm going to apt-get install a desktop environment that isn't the clunky piece of shit that is unity. Recommend me something that looks *nice* (in the chink-style sort of way) out of the box and doesn't kill my 1.8ghz dual core system.
>>
>>51954736
I have Pantheon installed on my Chromebook in crouton on ubuntu 14.04. I used the Dr Watson script on github
>>
>>51954945
Heh, is it regularly updated?
>>
>>51954904
install MATE or XFCE faggot
>>
>>51954793
that is what he said. That if he wanted to solve computer problems by throwing money at it then he would have used apple instead. It's not a clever solution.
>>
>>51954518
I think Solus is pretty lightweight, but I don't think it has many packages.
You could always try Deepin too.
>>
I don't use Linux for freedom. if you do, you're either retarded or autistic.
>>
>>51954958
>>51954960
I looked at some of the themes and they look nice. I'll spend an hour look through them once it's installed and see what I want.

I am gay and I love to suck bleedy dry dicks of their rich cultural semen. I like fucking guys and I am gay once again. thx :^)
>>
>>51954904
See what you think looks best initially between xfce or MATE. And Pantheon is good looking, don't listen to the faggot.

If unity works fine on your machine then maybe you can afford to use Cinnamon. it uses about the same amount of resources.
>>
>>51955013
Deepin looks beautiful are you sure it's lightweight though? how is it? I expect it to have chinese characters hidden here and there. is it fully functional and good?
>>
>>51955116
It works, suprisingly.
A beta came out just a few days ago, and I'm running it. It works really well out of the box.
The store has a few translation fails, but nothing I can see that's actually inside the system itself.
Everything I need is either in the store, or easily obtainable by apt-get, so I'm happy.
>>
>>51955140
>The store has a few translation fails

Their site is perfectly understandable, but it obviously looks like a chinaman have translated it. But it looks pretty great and different, I will consider trying it out sometime.
>>
Late 2010, my shitty notebook (Presario C700) came with Vista, slow as fuck, intel drivers were total shit for Vista so i got XP instead, ran ok but i couldn't make the Wifi work, then I made a partition for Ubuntu 10.10, oh my god the speed, everything just worked, and the compiz cube, good times.
Since then i've been using Ubuntu on my computers, never had any problems. Today i only use VMs and a partition for games.
>>
>>51953116
this, honestly

>>51954061
INSTALL. FUCKING. GENTOO
>>
>>51952738
Freedom
>>
>>51953994
>LXDE is so lightweight my laptop started floating above my desk.
KEK
>>
>>51954228

>and most of all, no more fucking bluescreens.

I haven't had a bluescreen since I stopped using AMD products. Stop being an AMD using poorfag.
>>
>>51953116
>>51953255
>>51955356

>If it doesn't work on my hobbyist os no one needs it.
>>
Longtime windows user here looking to switch to linux, I'm doing a new build this Christmas for gaming, is linux the right choice? If so what distro is best?
>>
Because windows runs like ass on 1gb ram and lubuntu runs good
>>
>>51958723
No, use Windows for gaming, OSX for professional work, and Linux for your hobby.
>>
I stopped playing video games and got really bored so I installed mint and started ricing on my laptop for fun

Then I tried arch. Eventually I installed arch to a spare HDD on my main PC. Started using all the time. Moved it my SSD and setup my bootloader for it. Now I use arch full time and only boot to Windows extremely rarely for a couple of IDEs.
>>
>>51954163
>Even a Arch chroot on my phone with X11.
The fact that you think this is cool or unique cracks me up

Also, you wouldnt be saying Arch chroot if you had used linux for 6 years.
>>
I was working with 3D modeling on Blende when I read their license agreement. It got me thinking, about open software, and within about a week I basically on a whim wiped my hard drive and started over with GNU/Linux. That was now nearly a year ago, I have since moved from Arch, my first distro to Crux (after a bit of distro wandering and some forrays into BSD and plan9).

It was only later that I discovered /g/.
>>
9:40 PM wowanaccountreally: >fire up word processor to work on resume
>program has a fourth of MS word's functionality and is actually frustrating to use
9:40 PM wowanaccountreally: this
9:40 PM wowanaccountreally: Because according to the subjective theory of value, the marginal utility gained from a streamlined, supported OS is head and shoulders more than the marginal utility lost from lack of privacy.
9:40 PM wowanaccountreally: this
9:41 PM wowanaccountreally: It's better than MS on servers and high performance machines, but for the regular user, it's pissing in the wind.
9:41 PM wowanaccountreally: this
9:41 PM wowanaccountreally: You mean other than "it literally doesn't do anything as good as Windows or even OSX?"

Because it doesn't. It's not even more cost-effective, as companies have proven time and time again before switching back to Window
>>
>>51952738
It makes me productive, less things to distract me from jobs
>>
>>51958754
OSX for professional work? What are you? Some sort of twink boy prostitute? Some people have real jpbs
>>
Because of the endless tinkering and because it actually does 'just werk'.
>>
ease of use, and learning something new for when windows goes to shit.
Speaking of, if I only need windows for work (I work from home) can't I just run it through kvm? Also, do I need 2 of the same GPU for that, or can i use a good one for linux and a cheap one for the windows VM?
>>
>>51952978
this.
wakemeup.jpg
>>
File: 1424448802962.jpg (44 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
1424448802962.jpg
44 KB, 640x853
First, I began to use it because of our shitty government that blocks some information. Then I realized GNU/Linux have everything I need and even more.
Now I have an idea that Win and Mac program developers have only a goal to make money. And the open-source community make programs for me, for other people, for everyone. I will use their work with great appreciation, even if it has sharp edges which we can alltogether improve.
>>
File: 1352391841452.jpg (204 KB, 1200x1375) Image search: [Google]
1352391841452.jpg
204 KB, 1200x1375
>>51952738

I was on windows 7 and happy, but i knew things couldn't stay that way forever and 8 looked like shit so I made the choice to go to linux. When 10 came out that just re-affirmed that I'd made the correct decision to switch to Linux. Still have 7 installed for some games, but have not updated it in months now.

Nanami still best OS-tan.
>>
>>51952738
Because computing finally made sense.
>>
File: 1437576056844.jpg (209 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1437576056844.jpg
209 KB, 1920x1080
>>51952738
>free as in free beer
>free as in freedom
>just werks
>hundreds of distro option
>software works on all these hundreds of options
>something didnt happen
>no system reboot or forced updates(including forced reboots)
>nothing stopping me from fucking my system wtih bad C code.

Just feels good man.
>>
>>51964204
>have only a goal to make money
Most people do things to make money. This by itself doesn't say anything about the quality of their work. Why are you using it as an argument?
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.