[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone familiar with Unity or game development here ? I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault[3].jpg (73 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[3].jpg
73 KB, 1280x800
Anyone familiar with Unity or game development here ? I need a decent template for a 2.5D shooter game that is not shit, assetstore has failed me.
>>
Template for a 2D game? You better go on modding kid
>>
>>51952585
>template for a 2.5D shooter game

nigga u srs?

That's basically 90% of the game you\re trying to make
>>
>>51952585
Jesus fuck dude are you serious get your shit together
>>
>>51952585
Wtf is 2.5D?
And no you wont make big money or become famous. Do your homework kid.
>>
>>51952928
>>51952907
Thats why i said template. I don't wanna do a single coding, I just wanna change the graphics and edit the settings.
>>
>>51953022
kek, well baited family.
>>
You lazy and/or uncreative fuck.
>>
Ok, serious gamedev here (when i say serious i mean that i already have a game on Steam but i'm still Indie as fuck, 2 guys at home making a game is no where near serious game development)

Currently, i have only Win version but i plan Linux version. I somehow managed to get Linux version working in VM, but it's only ubuntu 15.10. Do i have to check other OSs, will it work in others also?

Also, why is a cursor in my linux version like 4 times bigger than it is in win version, can i adjust that somehow?
>>
>>51953022
Go do something else. instead of tricking people to play your poorly half assed piece of shit.
>>
>>51953097
>>51953081
>>51953046
Why would I bother learning all that shit to re-discover america again when someone already made it professionally. I'm not a coder or wrote a single line of script in my life and I'd rather leave that to the people who know their shit.
>>
>>51953092
>Do i have to check other OSs, will it work in others also?

It should, it only depend on the dependencies.

> Also, why is a cursor in my linux version like 4 times bigger than it is in win version, can i adjust that somehow?

Depend on your framework. If you use unity, ask in their forums. if you code everything from scratch in C, then why are you asking us? :P
>>
>>51953125
You're literally just going to be making a copy of the same shitty games people are copying and spamming the store with. You will likely not make a single cent.
>>
>>51952585
Shut up and go make a clock
>>
File: 8.jpg (217 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
217 KB, 1920x1080
>>51953127
Yeah, i use unity. I gotta check those forums, it didn't cross my mind to look at it, i didn't think someone might have the same problem as it's pretty weird occurrence

pic related, my win version, it's in early access at the moment
>>
>>51953174
%80 of the games out there is the copy of each other. There is no "original" game concept left anymore and I'm not into big money. I just wanna make a game and asking for a template that has a decent amount of features.
>>
>>51953252
>>51953203 here

I don't recommend using templates for such a big part of your game.

I mean, it's ok if you only want to study game programming, but if you actually plan to sell it it's just not worth it as free templates are pretty bad and if you want to make them look better you'd have to tweak them so much that it's easier to do everything from scratch
>>
>>51953300
I'm looking to buy templates. Free ones are even worse. The problem is the ones I found around $30 only cover half the features I'm looking for. I'd like to use aiming with mouse, full movement/jump/interaction dynamics, jetpack system, stats like health, ammo, checkpoints, an AI system where the enemy isn't friggin dumb and such.
>>
>>51953022
>This is what /v/ actually believes game development to be

It's going to be hard for them when they wake up from their dream.

(and they realize they'll be flipping burgers their entire lifes)
>>
>>51953380
>aiming with mouse
This is really simple to program mate, doable in a day even without any programming knowledge, just search tutorials

>full movement/jump/interaction dynamics, jetpack system, stats like health, ammo

same. Maybe that jetpack would be a slight pain. Health, ammo, it's just simple C# objects that you interact with simple methods.

>checkpoints, an AI system

probably the biggest problem for you

If i were you i'd look only for checkpoint+ AI and dedicate like a week to learn all those other things by yourself
>>
>>51953380
>>51953478

Oh, another thing. Do NOT expect to make a full, working game without writing some code, that's impossible. Maybe the game would work, but it definitely wouldn't do what you initially planned it to do
>>
>>51953478
Making a full game from scratch is years of work and I really don't wanna get into it with my zero knowledge of coding.

>>51953523
Not really. You can buy some pricy complete projects which have absolutely everything you need from enemy AI to destructable physics or from smooth animation transitions to online scoreboards. Unfortunately these are mostly for full 3d shooters and I just couldn't find one decent example for a 2.5D platformer Run and gun type of gameplay
>>
>>51953605
>Making a full game from scratch is years of work and I really don't wanna get into it with my zero knowledge of coding.

Here, take a look at our game. We didn't know one single line of code before this (i guess just like you now), it took us 8 months to release a game on Steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDCdDj__Vw
>>
>>51953689
What are you doing now ? How bout I make a game with you :^)
>>
>>51953723
>What are you doing now ?

Making a patch for Sunken, we're making some major changes in it. We are gathering feedback from people, to see what they like/dislike in the game before Full release

> How bout I make a game with you :^)

We are not looking for new people now. What do you have to offer?

Point is, don't have high expectations to make fully functional game with paid templates, projects etc. Buying assets is ok, you're indie and you can't make great animations and scenery, but buying assets that affect programming (as in you don't have to program anything) is a totally bad idea, trust me on this
>>
2.5D is just 3D with a fixed camera.

Learn OpenGL + SDL2 + Linear Algebra + Basic Trig
>>
>>51953796
I do graphics. I cover everything from modelling, texturing, rigging, animating, shaders, materials, scene design, lighting, effects and stuff. But I got zero coding skills. I just need an equally capable counterpart that can handle game dynamics. Assets is a good option since you know what you're buying but it doesn't allw you to add custom functions and features if you don't know coding. Working with someone is also good but I'm sure you're familiar with the perils of online working. There's constant miscommunication, people only get to work on their free time and such. So I just wanna find a decent template and make it work somehow.
>>
>>51953906
Imho, it's easier to learn game programming in Unity than it is to learn all of the stuff you know here. just dl few books, and learn simple OOP aka how to make and interact with objects. Dl a lot of tuts and start learning, We didn't know neither programming or graphics
>>
File: 6.jpg (153 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
153 KB, 1920x1080
>>51954199
Why do i always forget to upload pics in my posts....
>>
>>51954222
Yeah but thats the thing. I'm sure you had separate people doing different parts of the job. Like one of them did the graphics, one did the coding, one did sounds and stuff. You have to be a psycho and have a lot of free time which I don't have to go One-Man-Army style and handle everything. I'm workin 9 to 6 all day so that's just not an option
>>
File: d.jpg (165 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
165 KB, 1280x800
Why not just use Angry Bots, the default demo that comes with Unity when you first open it?
>>
>>51953380
>problem is the ones I found around $30 only cover half the features I'm looking for. I'd like to use aiming with mouse, full movement/jump/interaction dynamics, jetpack system, stats like health, ammo, checkpoints, an AI system where the enemy isn't friggin dumb and such.

hire a programmer.
>>
>>51954323
>Yeah but thats the thing. I'm sure you had separate people doing different parts of the job

Nope, both of did everything. There are only 2 of us for literally everything, sounds, graphics, coding, animations, you name it, we did it.

Of course, it wouldn't be possible if you have regular job, we were working 10+ hours/day on Sunken and there were a lot of 16hours days.

If you have only few hours/day available i'd say you should make a compromise and take some easier project to work on. It's better to make decent match-three game than to spend months and months on something that depends on bought templates.

Of course, if you find people to work with than it's a whole different story.

But you working alone, not writing a code and expecting a good result is an overconfident plan that will fail at one moment. It's just how i see it based on my experience
>>
>>51953906
How does one do shaders without knowing how to program? Writing shaders was the most fun part of a graphics programming class I took but it took quite a bit of actual programming to do.
>>
>>51954331
I wouldn't know how to make him aim up and down and move him only on a single axis. Thats designed for a topdown shooter rather than a platformer.

>>51954363
>>51954439
I can just do both I guess. I can find an okay template which have the base functions and work with someone to fill in the gaps and add the functions that the game needs. That way we won't need to create something from scratch and a coder can much easily edit the scripts or add stuff compared to what I would do on my own
>>
>>51954612
>I can find an okay template which have the base functions and work with someone to fill in the gaps and add the functions that the game needs

Stuff that you named above are things average coders could do in few days. If you happen to find a guy do your self a favor and just tell him al the things that you want built, don't spend money on making aim following your mouse pls
>>
>>51952585
>get training wheels on steroids
>want a game template for it to top it off
Kill yourself.
>>
OP, just download gamemaker and learn the tard-tuned language known as GML.
>>
File: half-life-2-AI[1].jpg (496 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
half-life-2-AI[1].jpg
496 KB, 1680x1050
>>51954659
Most of the stuff I want like the movement, aiming, stats and stuff is already out there. The real tricky thing I wanna dabble with is the AI. Most templates have the enemies patrolling in a range where they have just "move" and "shoot" states. Other enemies are just stationary and don't even do anything. I would need to construct a behaviour tree to tell the enemy what to do under specific circumstances in certain areas. There are lots of AI tools and vizualised behaviour tree editors. I can just buy one for the coder to work with and then he can integrate them all together.
>>
>>51954755
But....isn't it better to leave those decisions to actual coders? If they know how to do it, you let them do it, if they don't know, you buy assets?

Why do you treat coders like some brain damaged monkeys?
>>
>>51954808
I've yet to meet a competent coder that doesn't take 2 months to come up with an update for the previous games I've worked with. Granted I've meet a few but I feel like it takes 10 times longer for them to compile working scripts compared to how long it takes for everything else to be finished. I would just like to speed up the process. Those tools will save the trouble to go through the nightmarish, demotivating endless process of bugfixing.
>>
>>51954869
Thats what happen when you work with students
>>
File: 37.jpg (171 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
37.jpg
171 KB, 1920x1080
>>51954869
You just had bad luck or just lazy coders

i know it by looking at myself, if i could both learn everything and actually apply that knowledge on our game then i can't even imagine what real coders can do in a week. Probably what we did in a month.

Search for better people. If you make shortcuts for them they'll still be stupid/lazy
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.