[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Proton mail, who here has a proton mail account that they're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: protonmail.jpg (26 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
protonmail.jpg
26 KB, 800x600
Proton mail, who here has a proton mail account that they're actually actively using?

What are you using it for? Spreading loli?
>>
>>51951194

Have one, dont really use it.
>>
>>51951207
what's your email?
>>
>>51951207
This. I signed up but I don't think I've used it once.
>>
Have one too, never used it, never seen one "in the wild"
>>
>>51951225
Why not?
>>
>>51951207
>>51951225
pretty much this

I see no need for it

I'm not a pedo, nor am I a terroist
>>
>>51951194
>not using cock.li

Better yet...
>not hosting your own mail server

>>>/out/
>>
>>51951251
>cock.li
how lewd
>>
>>51951251
>using an email service that the founder actually calls a "meme email provider"
pls kill urself
>>
this is the one that gets routed through israel and the devs didn't tell anyone about until people figured it out themselves, right? the one where the devs still claim the jews can't mine the data?
>>
>>51951251
>cock.li
> I comply with all federal laws regarding online content hosting and will report any illegal activity to the relevant authorities (FBI, NCMEC, regional authorities).
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>51951285
>routed through Israel
It gets routed through Germany by an Israeli based company.
>>
No public android app yet, but I hope to switch over to it soon
>>
>>51951305
I saw a mail today that they're moving to an open beta
>>
File: 1394910055394.gif (2 MB, 270x200) Image search: [Google]
1394910055394.gif
2 MB, 270x200
>>51951251
>not hosting your own mail server

This is the only good answer, domains and SSL certs are cheaper than a burger these days, and everyone who's on /g/ should have a raspi or old parts to cobble into a server.

Does /g/ use dovecot+postfix or a groupware solution as server, like kolab or zarafa?
>>
>>51951285
>routed through israel
Welp, time to stop using it I guess. If I wanted the kikes to read my email I might as well just use Gmail.
>>
>>51951305
then use tutanota, they have a android app.
>>
>>51951321
letsencrypt.org + digitalocean + a domain

This is very cheap to run and maintain.
>>
>>51951333
>I don't know how BGP redirection and GRE tunnels work.
>>
>>51951267
>>51951281
>implying I use cock.li for my non-normie emails

KEKD
E
K
D
>>
>>51951194
yeah I use it actively, but that doesn't mean shit cause all I use it for is registration forms on websites. I look like a douchebag when people ask me for my email and practically expect me to say [email protected] but I give them @protonmail.ch and they just look at me weirdly. I used to have [email protected] and that made people even more confused.
>>
>>51951391
So what do you use? :^)
>>
>>51951321
the technical costs aren't that great; the costs associated with keeping uptime rates high and various things you need to do just to maintain the system make this a serious pain in the ass.

the economies of scale on running software are such that it makes no sense for everyone to run their own instance. if you're going to host 1 account, you might as well bite the bullet and pay marginally more to run 1,000 or 100,000 accounts.

honestly though, email has never been a secure medium for communication. everyone who advocates running your own seems to overlook this fact. Use gmail or yahoo or whoever works with the NSA to the NSA's heart's content; just don't discuss anything sensitive over email.

Drug dealers don't begrudge that hospitals and police stations are unsafe places to do business; they just very carefully select when and how to engage with those services (in other words, only when everything related to their need of that service is legally on the up and up).
>>
I use my own [email protected] on Google Apps
>>
>>51951194
I will when the business email thing rolls out
>>
>>51951396
he's not going to answer. this is a typical tactic of a retarded person:
>you: ask question A
>him: give answer to question B, which he just made up in his head
>you: point out that's not a useful answer
>him: points out you're dumb kek lel lulz
>you: asks question A again, more clearly this time in case he's autistic
>him: answers question C now
>>
>>51951194
>>51951244
Is it actually not safe to send Loli through Gmail? Should I stop? I live in Canada.
>>
>>51951396
I host my own mail server for my non-normie activites, like anyone on /g/ should be doing

fuck this neo-/g/ "we accept wangblows and node users" crap
>>
>>51951459
>Is it actually not safe to send Loli through Gmail?
oh god lol
>>
>>51951459
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

>sending loli
>via gmail

You might as well just cc in the FBI
>>
>>51951460
So you're giving multiple third parties your information, instead of just one?
noice
>>
>>51951194
I stopped using it when they started routing traffic through Mossad servers.
>>
File: 1416810790684.jpg (20 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1416810790684.jpg
20 KB, 420x420
>>51951409
(you) here,

Personally, i only run it because i have a synolomeme for backups and hosting prototyped pages for clients and still have headroom for a mailserver.

Plus your own domain as mail address looks good on your resumé :^)
>>
>>51951501
>synolomeme
?

as for having your own domain for email, it's far easier to set MX records than to run a mailserver on an ongoing basis.

the thought of having to be responsible for my own mail server just sounds stupid to me, like being responsible for generating my own electricity. I'm sure I could do it if there was a nuclear apocalypse, but given that a power outage, or an interruption in network availability, or any number of other disasters could disrupt my ability to receive email makes this entire proposition seem ill-advised.

and if you're running it in another place (like running an image on AWS or DigitalOcean or whatever), then you might ameliorate some downtime concerns (especially if you have redundancy), but you're still talking about managing this software yourself.

I have other things I'm working on that are more interesting, more valuable, and more urgent than making sure my mailserver is updated, to say nothing of getting useful functional upgrades benefiting from other people working on this stuff. and I don't know of any ongoing open source projects that continue to deliver useful new features to people using that codebase.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.