[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>had my first tech interview >for internship at extremely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: g6muqSR.jpg (470 KB, 1759x1519) Image search: [Google]
g6muqSR.jpg
470 KB, 1759x1519
>had my first tech interview
>for internship at extremely popular startup
>only one position for next year
>I knew one guy from before but the other guy seemed pissed off the entire time
>was extremely awkward at first, forgetting words, stammering, shaking, saying extremely complicated sentences and downplaying my skills
>settled into it later somewhat
>had tons of projects, they said nothing about them
>half way through technical question they asked me a second one
>technically solved both but barely
>they stopped me while I was fixing syntax errors, said it was close enough
>pretty sure I did well on the culture/personality questions
good points:
>lasted a long time, they didn't kick me out
>they told me they would let me know as soon as possible because they didn't want to lose me (pissed off guy said this though, could have been sarcastic)
please tell me your worst interviews so I feel better
>>
File: boot failure.png (227 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
boot failure.png
227 KB, 2000x2000
Please respond
>>
>>51936009
did they give you a card with a phone number or something?
>>
>>51936345
no
>>
>>51936009
>5th semester
>have to do mandatory internship
>apply at local ericsson since a family member of mine is working there
>declined my applicataion because they had the feeling that I'm not "enthusiastic" enough (or motivated)
>2 months later they close and 200 workers lose their job

dodged a bullet

got an internship at a much much smaller company, but they also took me in after the internship was over. It all turned out well in the end I guess.
>>
Anticipate failure and you shall know the joy of being right or the feeling of being pleasantly surprised.
Any other line of thinking is just depressing.
>>
>>51936398
This worked for me for a while, but then my anxiety seemed to find a way around it.
>>
>>51936365
bad news i guess. practice your programming skills in your spare time and cook up some personal projects you can show off. This shows the employer that you are passionate about this particular thing.

Also internships are garbage.
>>
>>51936431
I'm practically immune to rejection now, I can leave an interview knowing full well I probably did nothing wrong but I'm not going to get it anyway.
Sometimes you were fucked no matter what so giving a shit about the rejection is pointless.
Then there are those times you just know you fucked up, but at least you know that.
They don't ever actually call back unless they want to go further so thats a telltale right there.
>>
>>51936475
The company is a robotics company that uses Robotics Operating System. I've made 2 major projects in ROS and I'm the lead software developer for a ROS research group at my school. I have a dozen major programming projects and I have made mathematical discoveries. I probably should have been going to a therapist and working on my anxiety, not programming more.
>>
OP, don't listen to this guy.
>>51936345
>>51936475

Maybe for him internships are garbage, but for some people for whom parents don't cover everything, money saved over the internship period help paying tuition over the year. Plus, you know, line on the resume and learned stuff.

Also, I got multiple offers from known companies and signed an offer for a big4 internship next summer, and never ever I heard about interviewers giving out phone cards.
>>
>>51936599
maybe internship interviews are different to job interviews then. But we have interns come through our company, mostly stupid lazy kids (not their fault, just young), and I don't think we've yet to re-hire a single one coz they don't understand how to work, and don't appear to be autonomous enough.

Also statistically, you're just as likely to get a job from an internship as you are just outright applying for the paid job. It's a huge waste of time.
>>
>>51936009
Pretty good for an entry level candidate OP.

They don't expect you to be a god, just decent.
>>
>>51936691
from experience they don't like decent either, it's threatening.
As long as you know what a power button looks like and your google fu is sufficient they will scrape the barrel as much as they can.

Entry is fucking awful and I strongly advise skirting around it in whatever way you can.
>>
>>51936009
i'm a 28 yo neet living in my mom's basement. i've never had a job interview.

do you feel better now?
>>
>>51936009
Actually just ask for feedback when they reject you. This will make your next interview much better, and let you know where you failed.

It's a depressing thing, job hunting is somewhat a skill in its own right. Apply to lots of places, and you will land something
>>
>>51936776
Companies will never give you feedback. It's ammunition for discrimination lawsuits.
>>
>>51936882
is that how it is in America? That's freakin weird.
>>
>>51936660
I feel like it speaks more about the tier of company you work at, not about industry in general. If OP is bright and is aiming to work at a top-tier companies (big4, hot startups, etc.), it is significantly easier to get hired after an internship.

Also, at those places, job interviews are pretty much the same as internship ones, but more difficult/have more rounds. Seriously, you are the first guy I heard ever discouraging people from doing internships. I seriously fail to see how $7-8k a month over the summer +line on the resume is gonna hurt OP
>>
>>51936753
What's wrong with you?
>>
>>51936306
i hope ill never meet a tech that follow thoroughly that flowchart.
>>
>>51936923
Well i've hear similar things from other companies too. We try to get really smart kids from these intership things, but the hire rate is so damn low.

A lot of them seem really bright, but they need their hand held through every trivial task they are assigned, and most don't even finish what we gave them in the time they came to work.

I can imagine the stress of uni, or not being experienced in the workplace can contribute to this, so I'm not blaming them, but it's so bad at finding hiring material.
>>
>>51937101
In my program, the hire rate is really low, but it's 100% for co-op students.
>>
Literally every job interview I have had has been awful. As soon as I do anything even a little awkward, I become extremely self conscious and gain the superpower of "crippling anxiety".

Even the interview for my current job had some moments where I must have looked straight-up retarded. Imagine "write a function that prints the first N Fibonacci numbers", and then me standing there staring at the board for 30 seconds because I am too nervous to think straight.

The only interview I ever had that didn't make me hate myself was for Amazon, where all of the technical questions were online instead of in person or over the phone.
>>
>>51937861
sorry anon. hope things go better for you in the future
>>
>>51938086
I mean, I did end up getting a job, (a pretty awesome one actually,) so it's all good now. Besides those nights I lay awake in bed cringing at the memories. c:

But yeah, I do hope I can eventually get over the whole anxiety thing. I am kind of scared that one day I will land an interview for my dream job, but that I will manage to mess it up by looking like an idiot as I have done many times before.
>>
>>51938208
yeah, but just living with anxiety sucks
>>
>>51937101
what are typical assignments you give interns? im curious how much my skills match up.

like are they building new frameworks/debugging software/back end dev
>>
>>51938316
Well we stick them on debugging for a couple days sometimes, and then we give them a specific task like write something to load/save as a specific file format, add a simple feature like name tags. I can't give specific examples it will give my company away. We don't usually put them on backend dev, just adding a feature which would be pretty cool if they finished it.
>>
>>51937861
>mfw had Google Fibonacci sequence because i hasn't heard that phrase since 9th grade
>actual logic is easy

i still don't think i could have solved that on the spot, even if its simple.

i would also need a console to check my output..since programming is about trial & error. fuck writing that shit on a whiteboard
>>
>>51938462
#include <stdio>
int main()
{
int tmp, current, last, n;
current = 1;
last = 0;
while (n < 10)
{
printf ("%d\n", current);
tmp = current;
current += last;
last = tmp;
n++;
}
}

not bad, messed up ".h" in stdio and forgot to set n
>>
>>51938581
anything is easy when i have my ide and nobody is standing over my back,judging my every action.

just throw me in a room to myself and the shit will get done.
>>
>>51938747
yes, but it's important that you're able to communicate your ideas and work well with others
>>
>>51938765
I agree, but you lose nothing from sharing those ideas or sharing them late. If someone shares a better idea, you don't lose much, you still work on it. If no one likes your idea, it's ok, the team can suggest something else. However if your idea depends on you getting the job or not, that's when things start getting shitty and you become nervous as hell.
>>
>>51936584
>I have made mathematical discoveries
>>
>>51939971
and?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.