[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who the fuck came up with these?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: 61.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
61.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
Who the fuck came up with these?
>>
some money-gouging old bastard that thought it would be hilarious to have a mounting system that breaks so you have to get a new heatsink
>>
>>51934476
AMD did
>>
>>51934495
replacement pins are literally a dollar on ebay, however I agree on the ridiculousness of these damn things.
>>
File: 1302226046974.png (23 KB, 618x562) Image search: [Google]
1302226046974.png
23 KB, 618x562
>>51934503
did you even try?
>>
>>51934495
sucks
>>
>>51934476
A genius. They work perfectly for stock level coolers and it would take a monkey to fuck it up.

I'm more worried about who the fuck came up with the Pentium 2/3 era socket and cooler designs.
>>
File: 290px-Socket_462.jpg (33 KB, 290x342) Image search: [Google]
290px-Socket_462.jpg
33 KB, 290x342
I don't understand why people hate the push pins so much.

>push in to install
>rotate to unlock and remove

>kids won't remember amd socket a heatsinks

literally nightmare tier
>>
>>51934684
>having to use a screw driver to install the heatsink
>having to use downward force on a screwdriver to bend the bracket to hook onto the socket
>many brackets didnt have a slot the screwdriver couldnt slip out of to prevent accidental motherboard gouging
>>
>>51934476
Idiots, is the only correct answer.
>>
>>51934684
The biggest problem is that push pins are insufficient for clamping the heat sink down tight to the CPU. This is why they are garbage.
>>
>>51934790

Which is why you have to unscrew the whole motherboard each time to make sure all the pins went through and locked in place
>>
>>51934790
>>51934807
No you don't. You just have to push hard enough that you hear them clip into place and the clamping force is sufficient for the cooler.

They are used in literally millions of computers right now but because a few people are horribly inept at installing them they're apparently bad? Get over yourselves.
>>
File: 1425664788153.png (265 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1425664788153.png
265 KB, 894x894
>>51934476
satan
>>
Cheap, Simple, Easy to use.

AMD's market is family computers. No, they don't give a shit about the enthusiast who keeps upgrading messing with his CPU cooler.
>>
>>51934790
They actually work fine. It's one of these things where a really cheap system, easy and quick to install, saves money and just werks.

That it's not 100% idiot proof sucks for the people with two left hands, but that's their problem... also, they can buy other coolers with more idiot proof mounting systems (either slower to install or more expensive).
>>
>>51934476
Some faggot in the '80s, god damn I fucking hate getting in a system with the board mounted on those shitty plastic clip pieces of shit.
>>
>>51935431
>with more idiot proof mounting systems
Not him but my mind is having a hard time grasping the concept of something more idiot proof than the stock Intel CPU cooler mount. Could you post an example, please?
>>
>>51934684
>there are people who unironically feel nostalgia for those absolutely shitty Socket 3/4/5/7/370/462 heatsinks

one fuckup trying to get those pieces of shit off and your board is absolutely done
>>
>>51935497
Back then we usually didn't have very precise twist lock plastic pin locks... and the plastic was worse. Also often either hard to fix or hard to loosen again. The models today are waaay easier than the cheap shit was back then.

Oh, they're still cheap locks. But they are far more reliable, if you can follow 2-3 steps of instructions. Pretty much problem-free, really.
>>
>>51934684
>that socket
I just found one of those mobos at home. No cpu.
Feels weird having an AMD motherboard with an Intel chipset.
>>
>>51934476
They are meant to be used ONE TIME OP
>>
>>51934879
>>51935431
It's fine for something cheap like AM1, but the larger Intel stock heat sinks are notoriously bad. I'll take a back brace with screws every time over these things.
>>
I'm more pissed off at how my fingers look like they've been through a meat grinder than anything else when it comes to stock Intel coolers.
>>
>>51934503
Top bait
>>
>>51935525
Stock AMD cooler mount for my phenom 2 x4 965 was even easier, literally a lever you switch one way or another
Also it was loud as fuck so I changed to 212 evo, now that mounting is bullshit, fucking tard strength requirement to reach the screw holes
>>
>>51936464
I find the stock AMD mount to be much more finicky, I can never get the thing on straight.

Yeah, mounting a hyper 212 on my 7850k was a pain in the ass. Their intel mounts didn't look any better though.
>>
>>51935589
I've got a bunch of Athlon XP's in the loft, where do you live?
>>
>>51936680
Aus, Sydney.
I don't even know if the motherboard works, but I really want it to.
>>
They are terrible the first time, yes. You need to rotate them both ways slightly regardless of direction, they don't mention this in the manual. most desktops come with holes in the back of the plate for this reason making this design unnecessary in those cases.
>>
I used to repair ATMs, and the fuckers used these clips on the cpu cooler. In an ATM, bolted to the ground, they would snap off one corner and the CPU would overheat and run slow, or not run at all.

I've seen them break with the computer mounted horizontally in the top of the ATM- no gravitational stress at all. I've also seen them break off in shipping and the heatsink just wreck the motherboard.

We used to ziptie them to the motherboard and they would never break again.
>>
>>51939299

How the fuck would you get leverage to zip tie them to the motherboard? Would you drill holes next to the cpu?
>>
>>51939584
We would take the mainboard out, run a ziptie through the bottom of the mainboard, so the head is stuck underneath and won't fit through the hole.

Cut the head off another ziptie, and push it down to tighten the heatsink to the CPU. do this on all four corners, and you can get enough tension to keep the cooler tight pretty easily.

You can also grab the male end of the ziptie with some pliers and pull, while you push the cutoff head of the other ziptie down against the heatsink bracket.

hope this makes sense..
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 KB, 310x259) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 KB, 310x259
>>51939703
>>
>>51934684
>>51934727
>get unusually stiff heatsink bracket
>snap off screwdriver slot trying to force it
>barely avoid making a hole in the board with screwdriver
>try to hold bracket with pliers
>bracket's fury snaps off a plastic tab from CPU socket
>bend bracket so it can hold onto the side tabs, secure with cable ties

It worked ok in the end, but my nerves were not quite the same afterwards.
>>
>>51939936
Kids these days have no idea what they're complaining about.
>>
>>51939703
>>51939772
shit that's genius
>>
>>51939990
Gotta get those ATMs back up senpai, necessity is the mother of invention.
>>
>>51934807
>not having a case with a CPU cutout behind the motherboard tray
poorfag spotted
>>
>>51934503
Except no
>>
>>51939703

Damn.. They didnt pay you enough.

How often did you have to replace them? Or did you have special UV resistant and weather resistant zipties.
>>
>>51934476
>Who the fuck came up with these?

People who want to optimize assembly lines.

They weren't designed for home use.
The vast majority of PC's are assembled in factories where every second counts to keep cost down.
>>
>>51940179
You'd be surprised, lots of OT and availability pay, sky was the limit for OT usually.

W never had to replace the zipties in the time I was there. I mean, it's all inside the ATM, no worries about UV or weather, just heat.

We replaced the stupid heatsinks all the time, I probably threw away at least 30 stock intel coolers because of one or two broken push clips. Thinking back I should have saved them for scrap
>>
>>51934503
This is actually true
A reason why AMD is a house fire meme is because the "engineers" cant make a good clamping mechanism if there life depended on it
>>
>>51940254
>AMD is a house fire meme

I remember when Nvidia was the house fire meme.
>>
File: crippled HSF.png (505 KB, 974x768) Image search: [Google]
crippled HSF.png
505 KB, 974x768
>>51934476
You tell me.
>>
>>51934476
Blame the retards that can't figure out how to hold a backplate in while screwing in 4 screws. Just look at all the idiots complaining in the Hyper 212 thread. And this is on /g/ for fucks sakes.
>>
>>51941257
I like the current amd clamp system baka desu sempai.
Looks good.
Feels good.
>>
>>51934476
Oh god I hate those fucking things so much! I'm a strong guy, I lift Bench 130kg for 8 reps easy. So I have to downclock my strength with fiddly things. But these things.. I've snapped so many off. Currently my intel stock fan is stuck to the CPU with superglue and it works.
>>
>>51934503
blatant lies
>>
>>51941257
>hold a backplate
>case doesn't have a cutout for the cpu
>>
>>51942936
What the fuck kind of temps you getting Kent
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.