[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here bought one of the new Dell XPS laptops? What do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: dell-xps-13-2015-angle.jpg (114 KB, 620x480) Image search: [Google]
dell-xps-13-2015-angle.jpg
114 KB, 620x480
Who here bought one of the new Dell XPS laptops? What do you like and not like?
>>
Dell has excellent Linux support.

Other than that they're overpriced Ultrabook-tier machines.
>>
>>51928956
>laptops
gtfo normie
>>
>>51928985
this isn't /r9k/ genius. get the fuck out you creepy faggot. i'm fucking your 10/10 perfect waifu oneitis as i type this you fucking loser.
>>
I have the new Dell XPS 15 (9550)
Specs:
i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB PCI-E SSD, 4K Touch Display.
$2100 (my job paid for it)

Overall, I love the laptop. The display is beautiful, one of the best I've worked with. The display utility also let's me switch to sRGB/aRGB for when I'm doing graphic work.

Build quality is great. TouchPad is 9.5/10. Smooth, consistent, premium feel to it.

I wish the outside cover had a more flat look.

Highly recommend OP.
I can post pics later if you like.
>>
>>51929123
Oh, i forgot to add.

Only major downside is that with the 4K touch display, I only get like 5-6 hours of battery.
>>
>>51929123
>>51929140
I'm looking at the lamer XPS 13 with 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, i5, and non-touch 1920x1080.
>>
>>51929182
you're really gonna want 8gigs of ram family
>>
>>51929123
Also have this.

The keyboard is fucking awful.
>>
>>51929182
I laughed. You're getting the cheapest version of a status product so you don't look like an idiot while browsing 4chan at Starbucks. Stop immediately with what you're doing and get something with at least half-decent hardware.
>>
>>51929213
Also, unlike the 13" version, you can actually upgrade the RAM yourself.
>>
I wish the new Latitudes had similar bezels.

Now I'm going to buy a 14" Thinkpad instead of a 15" Dell.
>>
>>51928956
God that screen is gorgeous. How are thin bezels not an industry standard yet?
>>
>>51929274
>God that screen is gorgeous.

You also think that massive reflection is gorgeous?
Literally unusable in a room with windows.

How are matte screens not an industry standard yet?
>>
Are there any of these linux friendly dells in 12" or smaller screens with 8 to 16 gb of ram and some kinda upgradable ssd for under $2000? If so I'll buy one tomorrow.

For now im stuck with a bulky heavy x220 thinkpad.
>>
>>51928956
Got Xps 13 yesterday i7, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, 3200x1800 resolution
Pro:
>Holy shit that screen is beautiful. Compared to 15" acer with 1366x768 resolution which is what Im coming from
>~6h 30 min battery life I'd consider a plus considering specs thats enough for me.(Acer had 4h)
>Build quality is pretty gud as well as design
>Touchscreen shitposting while lying on sofa is extreme comfy. Using opera touchscreen browsing feels very natural and smooth. Mouse only needed for gayming
>Beginmers guide it came with was like that: Windows 10; how to set up guide with 5 steps and instructions and screenshots. Ubuntu; just follow on what it says on screen
Con:
>Win 10. (8.1 was better. Ubuntu was way better)
>Intel graphics driver crashing for some reason? Wth is this shit? It should just werk(havent had time to look into that and install all updates yet)
>Seen 70C temperatures on speccy. Case didnt feel hot but idk if thats working as intended
>>
>>51928970
>Dell has excellent Linux support.

new XPS has dogshit linux support
>>
File: image_2.jpg (52 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
image_2.jpg
52 KB, 580x346
>>51929617
Dog shit linux support? So its useless?
>>
>>51929312
You can get it either way
>>
>>51929572
>12 in or smaller
Just buy the 13in and be done. Any smaller is retarded
>>
>>51929216
Says the guy with the 5 year old t420
>>
>>51929832
I have an X220 Thinkpad. My motivation for buying some thing new is for it to be just as powerful but smaller. Otherwise theres no point in changing. Needs to run linux or else is junk to me.
>>
>>51929601
Also, AMA
>>
>>51929274
You're looking at that screen with your screen. Your screen must be "gorgeous" too.

Such a retard, pictures on the internet
>>
>>51929890
XPS 13 is smaller than x220 with bigger screen
>>
>>51929890
>smaller
>doesn't understand dimensions

The XPS 13 is the size of an 11.6 with a 13.3" screen, genius. you cuckpad users are so fucking stupid.
>>
>>51929932
He is talking about the bezels you idiot
>>
>>51929965
You is da fucking idiot jezel
>>
>>51929601
yes it does, laptops are use to be hotter.
still. sometimes power saving fucks up that, check energy plans, because windows is a fucking moron at that.
>lets save energy
>im gonna turn off the fans and some random usb ports
>fuck you, i dont care if the pc is hot, and the user is working witht that usb port, no fucks given
>LOOK ANON, I SAVED YOU LIKE 3 WATTS
>do you want me to save more?
>user: im just gonna disable the energy service
>no, you cant even stop it now
>notearsonlydreamsnow.jpg
>>
>>51928970
Really? Can I use Arch on the xps 13?
>>
>>51930002
My old acer would hang about at 90C, the reason i replaced it is because fan started to make noises like an old GM engine and dedicated gpu just died and 4th row of keyboard wasn't working properly unless you pressed buttons at a certain angle. So now I'm afraid of temperatures.
>>
>>51930003
That's what I want to know. Can they run linux or not? Aka are they useful or junk.
>>
>>51930062
other way around
>>
>>51930059
despite being known as portable ovens, i had a hp pavilion dv6 (dual core and 512 or ram) for like 12 years.
at first it reached 110°, later i upgraded the bios and lowered to 80° and later became a static laptop, so i put those fan bases under it, and it lowered to 50°-60°, and at last, i upgraded the cup from a 1.7 to a 2.5 and add 4gb of ram, shit has win 8.1 and works pretty good for its age, even when i opened it, some of the usb ports in the mobo were rusted. but that shit still works.
best thing to do is disable any power saving from the bios, and see what you can do on windows, it may reduce the battery life, but now laptops have soldered CPU´s, and both CPU and GPU are facing down. and ive encounter many many times in inspiron, latitudes and even some xps without that paste who goes into the gpu, its different from the cup, its more like a mint gum, so the gpu was without thermal disipation and hanging, wich is worse.
if you are very VERY carefull by not leaving marks on the screws, check that outl, dell assemblers are not the best arround.
>>
NEVER ever believe Dell if they say they have full Win7 support, just in case you want to install that shit on an XPS.
You'll end up scraping the bottom of the internet for drivers and what not.
I've been there and its not fun.
>>
>>51930209
Also the touchpad on the XPS 13 is shit.
>>
>>51930209
>the recovery partition has drivers and shit to be win7 ready,
>go to see a client with a dead HDD
>have to change it
>new hard drive has nothing, no drivers, no recovery no nothing
>install windows 8 with the included usb stick
>wifi and ethernet drivers are not found.
>cant connect to the internet to download a driver

thats why i allway have a usb wifi stick with me all times, and its drivers in another pen drive.
>>
>>51928956
>dat reflection
holy shit
>>
>>51930209
>Using a depreciated os
>>
>>51930263
Problem is even if you connect to the internet with it, good luck finding all the drivers for it (atleast with win7).
Plus Dell's own support site is glitchy as fuck and their technician's website has close to no useful info.
Oh and the best part is that dell's website is barely mapped on google.
>>
>>51930383
>using
lol no, not my fault some retard ordered his with Win 7.
>>
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_13_(2016)

Works fine you little shits.
>>
>>51930429
fucking rekt dell xps 13 GOAT
>>
Macbook 12" or Dell XPS 13 ?
>>
>>51930599
macbook 12 is fucking useless. MBA 13" is much better.
>>
>>51930610
MBA is shit too because of the horrid screen they ship with. The only good Apple device is the Macbook Pro and even that is overshadowed by the XPS 13/15.
>>
>>51930620
the horrid screen allows it to have a 14 hour battery life, though. and you're still getting a good keyboard/trackpad.

i'll probably end up buying a t450 or something because of the durability so I don't care about either the xps or the mba.
>>
>>51929660
not entirely useless but

>touchpad palm detection doesn't work
>audio doesn't work properly, esp if you dual boot with windows
>microphone doesn't work
>suspend & hibernate doesn't work properly
>sometimes hangs on startup screen for like a minute if you dual boot
>>
>>51928956
xps 13 9350 2015
The screen is fantastic. 24 pixel font and you can go crazy with infinality and fontconfig settings.
It does report physical dinentions ~3x larger to force 96dpi.
In direct light you can see th1e backlight leds.
I dont notice the glare too much when backlight and color temp are in the ballpark.
The i5 broadwell 2.7ghz is dualcore but fast enough.
With proper config the battery will last 6+ hours.
Broadwell wireless works well enough with wl driver and once blacklist is set properly.
Keys are a pain but match XFree86 values.
Integrated graphics dont allow much video processing but i havent fiddled much. Standard mpv is silky just dont expect to use anything in the mpv threads.
The keyboard area is a fingerprint magnet. Soaking it in a good clp a few times has made it better.
No ethernet is a bitch but eth to usb solves it.
Touchpad is allright, palm detection is a pain though, audio works with plain alsa easy peasy
Wish it had a bigger screen but 276.2 or whatever dpi is too pretty.
>>
>>51929660
>>51929617
If you arent an idiot it works fine. The UEFI board throws a fit with freebsd and zfs though, but what else is new.
>>
>>51930868
UEFI also makes full disk encryption with Veracrypt kinda impossible. Which sucks donkey balls
>>
>>51928956
its water proof so thats a plus i guess
>>
>no dedicated home, end, pgup, pgdown, scroll lock and pause
>>
>>51930894
Fuck UEFI bios was't perfect but allowing windows to do a fancy suspend to disk is not the path to a solution.
I just want Open Firmware on x86.
>>
>>51931248
Open Firmware with full disk encryption is the best solution hands down
>>
>>51930398
kek, yeah, i use shit like slim driver or driver easy to find em, not sure if they are the correct driver, but it just werks.
>>
Anytime I look at ultrabooks, especially the Dell xps,the only thing I can think if is hiw big if a rip off its for the hardware you get compared to what you pay.

It's a same OEM are such jews, especially jn the lightweight market.
>>
File: laughing-girls.jpg (43 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing-girls.jpg
43 KB, 400x400
>>51929312
>he doesn't quilt his windows
>>
File: B1Ercn6.png (498 KB, 1320x1015) Image search: [Google]
B1Ercn6.png
498 KB, 1320x1015
>>51931531
hi pic related, how are you?
>>
>>51929274
>gorgeous
>16:9
>glare
sure is
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.