[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you guys have managed to install Mac OS on a Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15
File: hackintosh-logo-big[1].jpg (255 KB, 1600x1548) Image search: [Google]
hackintosh-logo-big[1].jpg
255 KB, 1600x1548
How many of you guys have managed to install Mac OS on a Windows computer?

Should I know anything before I even start? Is it even possible without a genuine Mac disc?
>>
>>51925999
Been using hackintosh since 2013.

Best thing I ever did senpai
>>
>>51925999
There are plenty great guides for it, it's not a well controlled process with next to no randomness. Well, depends on your exact hardware, but still.

If you're doing it on a rather common laptop, you may just find a good and precise guide specifically for it.
>>
>>51925999
I installed Snow Leopard on my Chromebook a few years ago but the audio didn't work so I went back to whatever I was running on it at the time
>>
>>51926429
>it's not a well controlled process
>not
I meant "now". It is indeed quite controlled.
>>
File: 4L_Ipbfohx6.jpg (144 KB, 2000x1328) Image search: [Google]
4L_Ipbfohx6.jpg
144 KB, 2000x1328
>>51925999
I haven't done it yet but i want to try it, i'm thinking about trying to install os x 10.7 on an old dell laptop that i have. I figure it's best to experiment on a computer i don't care about first. If it works the way i want it to i might try to turn an intel nuc into a hackintosh mac mini
>>
> Buying a glorious laptop/PC
> Throwing all the pros away and installing Hackintosh

Why.

Seriously, the macbooks are quite good hardware, if only pretty overpriced, but the MacOS is plain shit. Why would you ever want one? Try a Linux distro if Windows bothers you and learn your shit. Linux breaks when you break it, if you just let it be it's fine and just like MacOS, without the Apple shit.
>>
>>51926585
>Seriously, the macbooks are quite good hardware, if only pretty overpriced, but the MacOS is plain shit.
Clueless/10
>>
File: 4L_jzA3itCS.png (127 KB, 290x237) Image search: [Google]
4L_jzA3itCS.png
127 KB, 290x237
>>51926585
Linux is my main os but I want to make a hackintosh for a couple reasons, 1. So i can run adobe cs6(i could do this on windows but i hate the windows ui) and 2. I want to try doing some ios app development but i dont want to buy a new macbook for that shit
>>
>>51926585
On the desktop OSX is better than linux in every way imaginable.
>>
>>51926722
Except that it was designed for retards from the ground up
>>
>>51926767
OS X is like being unrestrained in an unlocked padded room. You start off in babby zone, but are only there for as long as you decide to be.
>>
Search to see if other people are using your hardware without issue.
>>
File: 1449007069804.jpg (171 KB, 1058x727) Image search: [Google]
1449007069804.jpg
171 KB, 1058x727
>>51925999
>Windows computer
>>
>>51926782
Oh I see so I guess that you're also free to ditch the shitty windows manager / user interface / whatever the fuck you would call it on mac os and install a really serious one ?
>>
On a T420, I'm pretty sure installing OS X perfectly is so easy that a retard can do it. It works better than a 2011 13" MBP, is chunky/durable as fuck, and you can update OS X very easily just like on Apple's hardware. Only drawback is that SD card slot does not work under OS X. But the machine can have 3 fucking internal hard drives at once time, so you can boot everything ever made.
>>
>>51926826
Yup
>>
Yeah I managed to get it and everything working except the graphics on some HP microtower with a athlon dual core I sold a while back for 300 bucks
>>
Relatively easy if you have a config similar to a Customac (google it). Just make a flash drive with Unibeast or download already pre-made image if you're on Windows.
Install Nvidia web drivers if you have a Nvidia card. The drivers bundled with OSX are unstable as fuck, and recent Nvidia drivers autodetect Clover so you don't even have to add anything to the config.
If you're on AMD, you're probably fucked.
>>
>>51926904

>Install Nvidia web drivers if you have a Nvidia card

Not all nvidia cards need them
>>
>>51925999
I have done it. Literally had to spend 4 months getting the EFI injection to work and reverse engineering the airport driver kext to disable the vendor id checks. It's a fun process though. Try it.
>>
>>51926834
on the downside it's a fucking Thinkpad, probably chock full of Lenovo BIOS malware
>>
>>51926912
Depends on your experience, bro. On Yosemite, I had driver crashes all the time until I installed the web driver, same with El Cap.
>>
>>51926934
That came out well before Lenovo started their bullshit
>>
>>51926944
regardless they're chinese garbage
>>
>>51925999
I like this bc it's robbing Apple. On the other hand, it involves you using an Apple product.
>>
On a slightly related topic, anyone managed to get a propper Mac OS X VM working. This seems like tedious process. Is it a viable thing for iOS dev?
>>
>>51926942

I suppose. Though I see that you're using a 560, like me. Back when I first installed Mavericks everything but the mouse pointer would freeze. Usually when I was closing the last window of an app. Is that the kind of crash you were experiencing?

What worked for me was running an app called 'freezefix' at startup.
>>
>>51926973
No graphics acceleration last time i tried.
>>
>>51927018
Yes. Also showed me the driver crashed message when I hard reset the machine. Never heard of freezefix before, but web drivers solved the issue for me.
>>
>>51926767
meme opinion
>>
It's simple if you have a gigabyte motherboard and use the tonymac86 tools. The only thing I had a problem with was Audio and I solved that by installing a different driver from an older version of multibeast. I have to reinstall that driver every time OS X updates so that's kind of annoying, but totherwise no issues.

Be aware that full disk encryption is. It possible on a hackintosh. Also the imessages app requires a shit ton of work, I haven't been able to make it work.
>>
File: 1443802001459.png (247 KB, 747x805) Image search: [Google]
1443802001459.png
247 KB, 747x805
>>51927183

>Also the imessages app requires a shit ton of work

Not since El Capitan.
>>
>>51926973

Tpb has a working Capitan image for VMware, it's perfectly and WAY better than the Yosemite image.
>>
>>51927941

*perfectly functional, rather. Setup is more involved than a linux image but not difficult at all.
>>
I used OS X in a VM for a couple years in college developing early iOS apps.

OS X is fucking terrible. I have no idea why you would want to actually install it on your PC for day to day you. I'd rather gouge my eyes out.
>>
>>51925999
Have a working hackintosh build as my main driver and winblows for gaymen.
It was actually my first hackintosh and really easy to be honest.
AMA
>>
Managed to do it on the shittiest least comparable biostar board with an AMD CPU. Took forever and I uninstalled it soon after
>>
File: Picture_1.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Picture_1.png
1 MB, 1440x900
I did in like 2005 and 2009, but now I actually own a Mac.
>>
>>51927967
What's so terrible about it?
I went from Gentoo to OS X and aside being unable to rice it's better to use in pretty much every way.
>>
>>51928052
>biostar board with an AMD CPU
are you me?
>>
>>51925999
i did it a couple of times, it's pretty lame
>>
>>51928085

No customization, so the annoying aspects you can configure away on other OSs are stuck annoying you. That, and xcode is / was (since I haven't used it in years) very bloated IMO.
>>
>>51928188
>so the annoying aspects you can configure away on other OSs are stuck annoying you
Like what though?

>That, and xcode is / was (since I haven't used it in years) very bloated IMO.
Well I can't say anything about that since I'm not a programmer.
>>
Can someone explain me how is Apple controlling if their OS is installed on Apple machine?Also how did they make their OS work only with Apple computer when they use hardware not made by Apple :/?
I understand they stopped shipping TPMs back in 2009 or so.
>>
>>51928075
fucking pedo. why is everyone on /g/ mentally sick pedo?
>>
File: laugh-00001.png (395 KB, 600x855) Image search: [Google]
laugh-00001.png
395 KB, 600x855
>>51928233
>50+ year old fairy
>14 year old teenager
>18 year old high schooler
>Pedo
>>
i have an ideapad n581 where can i get started?Do i need an apple id or something?
>>
>>51928244
you need to be gay to use apple products.
>>
>>51928220
le pl0x some1
>>
>>51928238
fuck off pedo
>>
>>51928238
"I swear officer she's officer!"
>>
>>51928285
she's fifty fuck too stoned
>>
>>51926826
Yeah. It's based on BSD I guess so you could do most of the stuff you'd do on a Linux (great for Dev) and there are unofficial ricing options too. Overall its a comparatively stable system with out of the box use. So yes, it's meant for babies but there's a version of the Linux powerhouse underneath when needed. Source : moved from wingag to Linux to Mac.
>>
>>51928188
I just use tmux for work and finder for photos and videos. Very simple and it's a good work flow
>>
>>51926585

+++++ Congratulations!!!! +++++

Your post has won the /g/s Retarded Post Of The Day™, this one will be eligible for the yearly hall of fame
>>
>>51928220
>>51928263

They don't. They just don't support other hardware, so it may or may not work. If you build a machine similar to a mac, it will work fine.

>>51928295

OS X is nothing like linux or BSD. You cannot remove aqua, the default WM. The core of OS X is nothing like a modern linux OS, its similar to BSD in 2000. Much of OS X's internal components are a decade or older, which are patched to work with modern hardware. For example the filesystem is still a 15 year old, 32bit program, which many features disabled and other hacked patches to get it to work on modern hardware. This limits the amount of hardware OS X can run on as well.
>>
>>51928346
> 32bit program
What?
>>
>>51928363

Its compiled in 32bit instructions, while modern CPUs are 64bit which usually run them by some form of emulation.
>>
>>51928075
Daily reminder that emulation is cheating.
>>
>>51928379
As an OSX user I can't say this really affects the end user that much.
>>
>>51928379
Running 32 bit x86 code on x86_64 isn't emulation, it's still running directly on the CPU, the only things that get translated are calls between 32 and 64 bit programs.
>>
File: well-00008.png (199 KB, 285x365) Image search: [Google]
well-00008.png
199 KB, 285x365
>>51928442
It's actually hard mode. I can't even boot anything higher than 10.4.6, meaning I can't use the (dead) Intel fork of TenFourFox, among other things. Also the audio has a strange reverb effect that I can't fix.
>>
>>51926722
nope, it's shit, from the software to the hardware.
The mouse is badly designed, it's not even able to register a left clic if you' ve the rigth finger in it. The keyboard broke like every 6 month.
The screen is shit, it got burned in the down left corner after some day of work, not to mention a terminal open for a day will get an afterimage like old crt's.
The wm is shit not even able to tile, its 1990 + 25 ffs and the ui is worst than unity.
The memory handling is bad loads of shit segfault when linux gonna handle it correctly, and MacOS use 3Gb of ram without doing anything.
The app store is shit and brew don't contain anything.
Glorious desktop experience: the rigth clic is disabled by default cause too hard unow, most of non us layout are garbage (gotta find ||||)
The company behind it are just pure asshole.
I don' t even how ppl can be proud of owning this piece of shit.
Even microsoft is better, there isnt a shitty mspaint equivalent in macos, they were probably too busy to find new way of using more ressources with iTunes.
>>
>>51928485

I always find it incredible how much is broken with every release of OS X. Now its gotten better in 10.11, but its really a glorified maintenance release to 10.10 which was pretty much unusable for me. I still can not get more than 1-2 days up time before having to restart because of some bug. And this is running on Apple hardware.

Seems like OS X just gets buggier and buggier as they pile more ad hoc features and jury rigged patches on top of patches on top of the ancient underlying architecture of the system. Its been time for Apple to move on to OS 11 for about 5-10 years now.
>>
>>51927967
>I used OS X in a VM
It is not possible to run virtualised OSX on a non-OSX host with hardware acceleration. In other words, you were running on software video and it was probably slow as shit.
>>
>>51928485
>The wm is shit not even able to tile, its 1990 + 25 ffs and the ui is worst than unity.
I can snap one window to the left half, one to the top-right quadrant, and another to the bottom-right in a few seconds. I understand that some people like it more elaborate than that, but most people wouldn't have any use for that.
>The memory handling is bad loads of shit segfault when linux gonna handle it correctly, and MacOS use 3Gb of ram without doing anything.
I can't remember the last time a well-written app crashed on me, and in my experience it actually handles memory very well. I often ran out of RAM and started paging under Linux when I opened excessive Chrome tabs, making it unusable. Under OSX it's never lagged due to this- either it's doing some crazy memory compression shit, or it IS paging and just hiding it well. Either way, it works.
>The app store is shit
Agreed! Fortunately, there is no need to use it (unlike with Linux, where installing applications outside of your package manager is often fiddly and error-prone, you can just download a .dmg and drag the convenient .app file inside to your Applications folder. Done)
>brew don't contain anything.
It contains all the dev-related stuff I've looked for, and even some non-dev things like mpv.
>Glorious desktop experience: the rigth clic is disabled by default cause too hard unow
Don't know what you mean. Plug in a real mouse already. Right-click works perfectly everywhere.
>most of non us layout are garbage (gotta find ||||)
Plug in a real keyboard, set layout to the one with " (PC)" suffix. Done.
>The company behind it are just pure asshole.
Everyone else is selling my personal info. These guys are just charging high prices. Doesn't seem to assholish to me. (but I hackintosh anyways)
>Even microsoft is better, there isnt a shitty mspaint equivalent in macos
There are plenty, but Photoshop opens in 5 seconds so I haven't needed one.
>>
>>51928485
>Glorious desktop experience: the rigth clic is disabled by default cause too hard unow
How to tell someone doesn't know what they're talking about.
>>
windows + linux dual boot gives you all the benefits of osx + games and minus the general badness of osx. hackintoshs are for fedora wearing "nerdy" faggots
>>
>>51928841
>linux
>gives you all the benefits of osx
Noooooo.... no. I used desktop Linux for webdev for over a year until I learned how easy hackintoshing is. Honestly, I don't know how I managed. Desktop Linux is borderline fucking unusable compared to OSX.

I could do a whole series of blog posts on its awfulness. Some issues are fundamental and borderline unfixable, but mostly it's death by a thousand niggling bugs. And yes, I tried different distros and DEs. I even actually tried Arch for a short period, god what a stupid waste of time that was.
>>
>hackintosh
>brew
Two testaments to why OS X is shit. I prefer to skip the process of adding buggy apps to a crippled OS and just use fucking LINUX. These work-arounds are just shitty attempts to add the convieniance and power of Linux to a walled garden OS anyways.
>>
>>51928774
Default settings in a fresh dump is something like that
>>
File: IMG_20151218_151110.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151218_151110.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51928774
And sorry to be using "apple (tm) (r)" compliant hw.
Coming from the AUR, brew is missing stuff. And all is usable like in a good package manager.
Chrome must be your issue, I've constantly ~20 page used in firefox + some pinned and not loaded and I don' t use more than 4gb, or it is cache
>>
Any place where i can find the image of OS X?
>>
>>51929212
And the mouse doesnt even work without a mousepad.
6gb ram used with almost nothing running, and there is something like only 200mb used for caching.
>>
>>51925999
>Mac OS on a Windows computer
why in the ever-loving-hell would I ever want this?
>>
>>51927991
So, can I just download an OSX iso and install it?

Would be installing it on a desktop, not sure if it needs to have the same exact specs as a Mac computer though.
>>
i run yosemite, windows 7, and gentoo linux on 3 separate partitions on my desktop.

hackintosh is nice, you get a unix environment with major third party support. its no doubt the slowest of all the OSes though. linux shits on it for compiling, and windows shits on it for 3d performance.

that being said, i was impressed with the 120Hz and dual display support
>>
>>51929357
Testing purposes and to learn the OS through practice without buying a Mac.
>>
>>51929376
>Testing purposes
testing what exactly?
>learn the OS
it's a fisher price OS, a 2yr old could learn it.
>>
>>51929365
oh i forgot to mention, os x has NTFS read but not write... yeah

linux is still unparalleled when it comes to filesystem support
>>
>>51929393
Still have to learn it though.

Can't do shit when a client wants to get a Mac as their office PC.
>>
best method for hackintosh?

is tonymac any good?
>>
>>51929405
I'd tell the client they're an idiot and instead of spending thousands on overpriced hardware, it'd be easier to buy cheap machines and put -insert any linux distro here- for a fraction of the cost.
>>
File: 232.png (129 KB, 260x339) Image search: [Google]
232.png
129 KB, 260x339
>>51929452
>I'd tell the client they're an idiot
>>
>>51929460
I would. I'd say it right to their goddamn face because I'm a not a pussy. If they don't like the truth, they can get someone else.
>>
>>51929471
You need to be 18 or older to post on /g/.
>>
>>51929471
Yea, because its not like the client is the VP of a company that you provide IT services for or anything.

If they want it, feel free to try and convince them not to get it, but in the end of the day they expect you to get it done. Thats why they are paying you after all, so grow the fuck up.
>>
>>51929591
And it's my prerogative to leave said company and tell them to go fuck themselves, which is what I would do.
>>
>>51928085
Lol what the fuck? Did you get a job and didn't have the time to rice it anymore or what?
That big of a leap seems really odd to me
>>
>>51929906
No, OS X just did everything I needed and did it better than my Gentoo install. The big feature was high PPI. Linux is pretty bad at that still, not that Linux is usable with a trackpad.
>>
>>51929591
Why are you arguing with a kid in high school? And his exec dad will hook him up with some sales job at his company where he can tell potential clients to fuck off without repercussions since it won't matter if he ever sells anything.
>>
>>51925999
checked
>>
>>51929360
definitely get the hardware right. That way you're gonna have little to no problems installing all the kexts and making everything icnluding imessage and facetime work.
If you haven't got a mac to make a bootable usb stick you might wanna first download an iatkos os x image to mount in vmware. From there you can access the appstore for the el capitan iso and install it with unibeast.
>>
File: 1441406852337.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1441406852337.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>51928220
>Also how did they make their OS work only with Apple computer when they use hardware not made by Apple :/?
It's not made by Apple but it's designed by Apple for Apple.

>>51928346
>can't remove Aqua
No but you can run another WM alongside it, or change how it works (such as add tiling support)
>The core of OS X is nothing like a modern linux OS, its similar to BSD in 2000
More like similar to FreeBSD now

>>51928485
>The mouse is badly designed, it's not even able to register a left clic if you' ve the rigth finger in it. The keyboard broke like every 6 month.
Nothing to do with OS X.
>The screen is shit, it got burned in the down left corner after some day of work, not to mention a terminal open for a day will get an afterimage like old crt's.
Nothing to do with OS X
>The wm is shit not even able to tile, its 1990 + 25 ffs and the ui is worst than unity.
Yes it is, you just haven't configured it to do so.
>The memory handling is bad loads of shit segfault when linux gonna handle it correctly, and MacOS use 3Gb of ram without doing anything.
OS X uses RAM when you're not, and frees it when you need it. This OS doesn't strive to make your free memory as high as possible, it strives to utilize it all efficiently.
>The app store is shit
Agreed
>and brew don't contain anything.
false
>Glorious desktop experience: the rigth clic is disabled by default cause too hard unow, most of non us layout are garbage (gotta find ||||)
Right click isn't disabled by default
>The company behind it are just pure asshole.
I don' t even how ppl can be proud of owning this piece of shit.
Still has nothing to do with the software
>Even microsoft is better
pic related
>there isnt a shitty mspaint equivalent in macos
And?

Half your complaints weren't about what you were complaining about you fucking moron.
>>
I did.

Basically, download the Yosemite Zone DMG file. Go into a windows machine, download TransMac. Format your USB stick for mac in transmac, and then click "restore from DMG file" and use the Yosemite img. Then, enjoy throwing in bootflags until shit works.
>>
>>51926019

Me since 2010, senpai.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.