[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any big online community hasn't turned into shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: reddit_log-100011890-large.jpg (18 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
reddit_log-100011890-large.jpg
18 KB, 580x388
Do you have any good example of a Internet community that hasn't become utterly crap after a few years?

Reddit for example was cool when I first found it, and now basically all featured posts and images make me want to punch my monitor.
>>
>>51924928
xda
>>
File: the stasche.jpg (60 KB, 675x322) Image search: [Google]
the stasche.jpg
60 KB, 675x322
4chan
>>
>>51924928
Facebook
>>
>>51925054
Yeah, as it was shit from the beginning it won't turn shit, pfuf.
>>
>>51924928
XDA cause currys took over.
>>
>>51924928
Krautchan is pretty good
>>
File: 12376565.jpg (97 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
12376565.jpg
97 KB, 435x435
>>51925008
>newfags
>tripfags
>autism
>shills
>underage kids
>edgy people
are you sure about this
>>
>>51925179
always been this way dood
>>
>>51925193
not really, most boards are fucking awful now in days, the only board I really browse now is this one because of my interest in technology.
>>
>>51925104
don't tell them :(
>>
>>51924928
Reddit was always shit
>>
Yup.

But there's no way in all of hell i'm naming the website (with an image board for discussion). Also, and thankfully the IRC channels i use are invitation only.

Now fuck right on off.
>>
>>51924928

The Well.
>>
File: Nd8Mv.jpg (8 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
Nd8Mv.jpg
8 KB, 251x251
>>51925229
>4chan wasn't filled with underage
>Founded by a 15 year old
It's always been the same shit, there's more shit because there are more overall users, percentage is still the same.
>>
>>51925391

Reddit was pretty sweet in the first couple of years.

It got worse and worse, then the Digg exodus happened and it became flooded with retards.

Worst of all, now all the retards adopt the "community" talk. Makes me gag.
>>
>>51925392
be my guy and tell me
>>
>>51925008
You are right. 4chan was shit from the beginning, it never turned into shit.
>>
>>51924928
>>51925408
Holy fuck can you leave please
It's so obvious you started browsing this shit like last week
>>
>>51925551
Obvious assburgers
>>
>>51924928
obscure imageboards
master,pig,7,420,8,u18 and other slow as fuck chans that I forgot their names
>>
Hong fire
>>
>>51925179
It could be worse...
>>
The cockli mailing list.
>>
>>51924928

all communities are shit because they`re just a bunch of hiveminds
>>
>>51925179
Perhaps you're just growing up, anon.
>>
>>51924928

>XDA

Now [5.1.1] [POO IN LOO EDITION] [ULTRA BATTERY BOOSTER] etc etc

Or "I have problem, ROM crash, pl help, rgs Rajeet"

There's still a ton of great stuff there but the ESL party fuck it up

>>>/b/

Used to be a whole lot of 30 year olds acting like they're 12 but now it's actually 12 year olds
>>
>>51924928

All the hobby subreddits are good (mechanicalkeyboards etc etc) but the mainstream ones are shit.
>>
>>51924928
The internet became utterly crap after a few years m8
>>
>>51925610
>hiveminds

Say something good about Windows 10 on /g/.
>>
File: 1418733118293.jpg (159 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1418733118293.jpg
159 KB, 1500x1500
>>51925577
>master,pig,7,420,8,u18
>8(chan)
>obscure
>didn't turn to shit
>>
Lainchan is still amazing. Plus really smart people
>>
>>51925526
Came here to post this. Also, bad thread is bad. Meta threads have always been a part of /g/, the only thing that has changed is how we defend it.
>Muh board culture
Thank god that died out.
>>
Also /diy/ ain't that bad.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-17-13h30m12s114.png (117 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-17-13h30m12s114.png
117 KB, 320x240
>>51924928
>Reddit for example was cool when I first found it,
fuck off back their cunt
>>
ITT people who don't know about non-default subreddits.
It's the equivalent of saying that /b/ is 4chan.
>>
SA is still great
>>
>>51928205
for all intents and purposes a site is best described by its most popular/default boards/subreddits/channels/call them what you will. it's literally like cancer. as long as the first element outsiders have contact with is filled with stupidity, most of the newcomers that decide to engage with the community will be the ones that resonate with it.

/b/ is not 4chan, but today, 4chan is more /b/ than it was yesterday, and less /b/ than it will be tomorrow.

maybe i'm wrong, but that's how i see things.
>>
>>51928309
That doesn't change the fact that there's a fair amount of subreddits that make a great news source for a particular topic.
Decent discussion is also possible in smaller subreddits when there aren't 2k comments on a post.
>>
>>51925577
chillchan.gq's pretty dank too
>>
>>51928309
Describing the entire community doesn't matter when you only realistically communicate with a small portion.
A city may be great, but if you live in its worst ghetto you'd still hate it.

For that reason I believe Reddit is actually pretty good, because I go to some smaller subreddits. The 8,714 people on that sub are decent; it matters less what Reddit at large is like.

All the same a community always gets worse the more popular it becomes. No exceptions.
>>
>>51928352
same as it doesn't change the fact that there are boards here which one can still rely on for interesting topics and discussions which don't devolve into name-calling and whatever.

small communities are definitely better than larger ones, it's just somewhat disheartening that maintaining a community's quality requires one to resort to proactive and potentially damaging policing of content. in this regard, I believe 4chan has better footing than reddit. since outside boards are not exposed to whoever visits /b/.

>>51928429
yeah, i agree, but i personally think 4chan is healthier than reddit. popular posts make it to the top and get exposed to the corrupting influence of /r/all whereas boards here are sufficiently separated that you aren't likely to check out anything new unless you already (think you) are interested.

the more popular a thing is the shittier it gets, generally; i'd assume that's why /v/ is a shitfest right now. get lotta people who're interested in tha vydyas visiting over and acting stupid.

i would've been 100% cancer when i discovered 4chan myself back in the day, if i weren't banned due to living in ipbanistan.
>>
>>51927441
Lainchan is shit. People who know less about tech than /g/ but pretend they're better because we don use swear wordz we so mature LOL
>>
>>51924928
4chan, but because it's been shit all along.
>>
>>51928500
This.
When the driving point of a "conversation" is how many upboats you get, it's garbage. And the more downvotes you get, the less people get to see your opinion. It kinda stifles open discussion and freedom of speech.
>>
>>51928205
I know about them redditor. It's still shit.
>>
>>51928514
>>51928515

Nigga don't delete your post because typo. I was fucking replying
>>
>>51928514
>censorship = freedom of speech
Don't "this" me you faggot.
>>
>>51928529
Why don't you read again, fuckass
>>
>>51928529
Maybe don't be too quick to the keys next time, Stevie Wonder
>>
>>51928540
What am I missing? Free speech has nothing to do with reddit, a privately owned website.

I didn't say anything about why I hate reddit. Don't assume I share your opinion.
>>
File: f&m.png (31 KB, 188x213) Image search: [Google]
f&m.png
31 KB, 188x213
>>51924928
No, actually. The long-running communities that I've been a part of have always become increasingly hostile, bitter and toxic as time goes by. One in particular, a private forum known as LUElinks/End of the Internet, is genuinely one of the biggest shitholes on the entire internet now. It is literally worse than any board on this site for constant shitposting, trolling and outright fucking nastiness. I stopped visiting it about six months ago when I realised that going there every day brought me nothing but unwanted frustration and anger. This place is like a nice petting zoo full of fluffy animals by comparison.
>>
>>51928555
The fuck are you on about
>>
irc
>>
>>51927499
>Any big online community
>big
>>
Even youtube before ads was better
>>
>>51928559

4chan is privately owned, too. It prides itself on free speech. That's why I continue to deal with the cancer here.
Even if reddit was good, I wouldn't go there because it stifles open discussion and freedom of speech.
So where the fuck did you get "censorship = freedom of speech"?

>>51928569
Stevie Wonder is a blind guy who plays piano, that isn't Ray Charles.
>>
>>51928563
bruh you can pet me whenever you want to. i make cute duck sounds.

i've distanced myself from every internet community i've ever participated in. 4chan is pretty much the only place i still regularly post on. i couldn't exactly pinpoint a reason why. the only exception to this particular statement is places like deviantArt which have been shit to begin with and where i pretty much spend all my time insulting and trash-talking as many people i deem worthy of it as i acn get away with.

actually, now that i think about it, the SCP-wiki seems like a community which has grown more mature and better with time; that might be because it looks pretty elitist at a first glance.
>>
>>51928609
>It prides itself on free speech.
No it doesn't and see >>51928529. You sound like an underageb& retard. /r/4chan and 8gag should be right up your ally.
>>
>>51928627
alley*
>>
>>51928458
>ipbanistan
>kek'd
>>
>>51924928
ask stormfront, are there any forums they haven't destroyed?
>>
>>51928627

Huehuehue I'm underage even though born in '90
Huehuehue really got him this time

Yes, it does. You can talk all the shit you want on here without being downvoted into oblivion. Or until one of the faggot mods bans you because they feel like it. Or if you break the rules of the board.
>>
>>51928663
>Yes, it does. You can talk all the shit you want on here without being downvoted into oblivion.
What part of freedom of speech only covers government institutions and has absolutely nothing to do privately owned entities do you not understand, jackass? You're looking for the phrase censorship for fucks sakes. Just stop posting and embarrassing yourself already you fucking HS dropout Jesus Christ

>Or until one of the faggot mods bans you because they feel like it. Or if you break the rules of the board.
Well done. You just contradicted yourself.
>>
>>51928706
Censorship? Really? And I'm the retard? Wanna try again?

To "censor" is to review something and to choose to remove or hide parts of it that are considered unacceptable. Censorship is the name for the process or idea of keeping things like obscene word or graphic images from an audience. There is also such a thing as self-censorship, which is when you refrain from saying certain things — or possibly re-wording them — depending on who is listening.
>>
>>51928706
Well done, too bad I've never been banned by the mods because I don't post CP, or anything that COULD get me banned.
Sure, maybe a little bit of self-censorship, but they don't force you to do that. If your post is literally so inflammatory that you got permabanned, you probably deserve it.
Also, the mods are SJWs and trolls, so of course there will be some miscarriage of justice bud. But that's what happens when you're anon
>>
>>51928908
you haven't been banned for posting links, or posting some particular words, for shitposting or for criticizing the mods?
for how long have you been visiting 4chan? I think you are lying.
>>
>>51928940
Nope. Never. I've been here since 2010. Although I spent most of my time here, /wsg/, and /mu/, rather than /b/.
>>
>>51928940
The only links I ever post went to sites like imgur. I don't post random fucking links.
All my shitposting is reserved for /b/, and I haven't been banned once.
And I criticize the mods all the time. But I do more than just call them fags. I actually criticize their actions most of the time, not their character.
>>
>>51925008
4chan is literally reddit these days. It is a prime example of a community turning to shit, and it was only 50% the fault of mootles.
>>
>>51927404
And
>master
>literal honeypot that tracks every single post you make
>yet pretends they don't track you good goy
>which is why you need to have an account to make threads, bypass captchas, etc.
>and why they can ban you based on your posting history
>but good goy, accounts are more anonymous over tor than no accounts!!1
>>
>>51927441
Lainchan is hugbox: the ib.
>really smart people
MY FUCKING SIDES!
The only people on lainchan are the definition of ignorant. The only reason you think otherwise, beside the fact that you yourself are ignorant, is because any post that proves established users wrong (tracked by IP), is deleted and, if repeated, gets the user banned.

Enjoy your taylorswift board, I guess.
>>
>>51929010
>4chan is literally reddit these days.
>literally reddit
>literally

you're the shit, friend. is the other 50% fault yours? i might sound argumentative, but i'd rather you came up with arguments, facts, and observations, rather than spewing buzzword laden non-content. unless you're baiting, in which case 4/10 pretty good i guess, gtfo.
>>
>>51928663
>what was gamergate
>>
>>51928706
>>51928653
>>51928883
>>51928972
>>51928995
>>51929101
>>>/tumblr/, from whence you came!
>>
>>51929127
I don't use Tumblr. Nice try doe :^)
>>
>>51929106

Funny you bring that up, since it was discussed more on the 4+4 chan than here
>>
>>51925179
>newfags
Those that lurk are alright
>tripfags
The proportion of tripfags compared to the early days is insignificant
>autism
>4chan
>shills
We're still pretty good at telling them to fuck off
>underage kids
They have always been here
>edgy people
Not as bad as during the first raids. I also haven't seen a thread being gorespammed in a very long time.
>>
>>51928883
>no response regarding to the part that free speech is strictly regarding the government, not private entities
So I guess it's settled then, yeah?

>Censorship is the name for the process or idea of keeping things like obscene word or graphic images from an audience.
>backpedaling this hard
>trying to damage control by implying that is the entirety of censorship even though it's far from it

From wikipedia:
>Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions

>Governments, private organizations and individuals may engage in censorship.

Yes, you're still the retard. A desperate one at that. It's censorship and nothing more. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech whether you like it or not because reddit/4chan are allowed to dictate what kind of content are allowed on their own fucking website. Neither have ever, ever violated anyone's freedom of speech as they never arrested you nor stopped you from making your own fucking website to vent your edgy opinions. Deal with it and stop replying any time.

>>51929127
>knowing the law makes me a tumblr user
>>>/b/
>>>/8gag/
>>
>>51925179
Thanks Floens
>>
>>51929194
And this, OP, is why every community has gone to shit.
>censorship is fine!
>freedom of speech? More like freeze peach am i rite xddd
>just because I'm from tumblr doesn't mean I'm from tumblr!
>mods not respecting the site rules is the best!
>Moot ackbah! Ban discussion that entirely on-topic! Only shitposting should exist!
>>
File: 1431377532598.jpg (368 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1431377532598.jpg
368 KB, 3000x3000
>>51929247
Are you even following the argument? I didn't say any of that shit. Fuck off you imbecile
>>
lobste.rs
>>
>>51929247
Why don't you go back to 8gag then seeing as it's the pinnacle of quality because of such little censorship.
>>
>>51929127
oh look, more excellent retorts.

>>51929247
out of the two of you, you sound like the only one who's refusing to actually contest whatever points the other person is presenting. meme arrowing off-point bullshit doesn't help your credibility either.
>>
>>51929194
It also pertains to your right to freely congregate, and have discussions, which can't be trampled upon by any private organization or the government. This is why the KKK is still a thing. And this is why I can call you a nigger, and not get banned.

If you got banned by a mod, that would be an individual engaging in censorship. Governments banning a book is censorship. Private organizations can do the same thing. Again, you're on the opposite end of the argument you're trying to make.

Your source reinforces my definition from earlier. Thanks for that.

Again, I never said they FUCKING COULDN'T. I was stating that I won't go to Reddit because the upvote/downvote system is DESIGNED TO SILENCE ANYBODY WHO THE MAJORITY DON'T AGREE WITH. You get downvoted into oblivion, so NOBODY sees your fucking post. And with the screen names, it makes it even easier for people to do that, because it makes it easier to identify you, unlike 4chan.
I stated that I would rather deal with the cancer here, where I can freely post my shit, without getting raped up the ass by a system designed to silence you.

You're just arguing to argue, when we aren't even on completely different sides, you fuckwit
>>
>>51929301
>oh look, more excellent retorts.
He's just shitposting. The posters he quoted are literally arguing at each other.
>>
>>51929330
>>51929301
>>51929298
>>51929270
>>51929194
Please refer to >>51929127
Thank you.
>>
>>51929330
at this point i'm shitposting too lmao.

>>51929328
>If you got banned by a mod, that would be an individual engaging in censorship
yes, censorship, as in not "denial of free speech" but "censorship". :D

>You're just arguing to argue, when we aren't even on completely different sides, you fuckwit
c'mon a lil' devil's advocate never hurt anybody. and while the two of you are discussing non-opposite stances, please do go on, it's moderately enjoyable.
>>
>>51929328
>It also pertains to your right to freely congregate, and have discussions, which can't be trampled upon by any private organization or the government.
>Neither have ever, ever violated anyone's freedom of speech as they never arrested you nor stopped you from making your own fucking website to vent your edgy opinions.
>nor stopped you from making your own fucking website to vent your edgy opinions.
Reddit never trampled your free speech. Go make your own fucking website.

Look you stupid cunt, none of what I'm saying is my own opinion. It's AS PER DEFINED BY THE FUCKING LAW. You don't get to redefine terms you don't like (freedom of speech). Have a fucking problem? Go take it up with the 1st amendment assuming you live in the US.
>>
Stack Overflow

>No because my shitty question got locked for being off topic or not having one concrete answer

These are good things.
>>
>>51929398
You can choose to freely congregate in a private organization if they allow it. Reddit and 4chan allow that. 4chan just does it better.
You're still arguing, when we're practically on the same side. Keep it coming though, I'm enjoying this
>>
>>51925392
why are you posting here then faggot
>>
>>51929328
>And this is why I can call you a nigger, and not get banned.
>>>/fit/16822730
>>>/q/619790

I hope you know how no navigate yourself to these posts. #1 way to detect a newfag.
>>
>>51929186
But the overwhelming majority don't lurk anymore. "Sekrit klub" shitposters welcomed all kinds of idiots with open arms.
>>
>>51925526
This.
>>
>>51929036
>Anon ID
>Anon
>ID

ffs
>>
>>51929456
Welp, I didn't get banned. I feel bad for him. Even though he's on /fit/ like a faggot.

Also, the definition of Freedom of Speech, defined by the legal dictionary is:

The right, guaranteed by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, to express beliefs and ideas without unwarranted government restriction.

Hmm, you were saying? Freedom of Speech does not encompass the entire first amendment.
>>
>>51929435
>Reddit and 4chan allow that. 4chan just does it better.
whoah, nice backpedaling, again!

>when we're practically on the same side
Unlike you I actually knew what the definition of free speech is, so no. Also I actually my online forums with a bit of moderation and """censorship""" so you're wrong either way, retard.
>>
>>51929487

>allow you to freely congregate
>Reddit still silences dissenting opinions
>you haven't made a good point thus far
>>
>>51929487

>unlike you I actually knew what the definition of free speech is

see >>51929484
>>
>>51929498
Quoted the wrong post?
>>
>>51929516
Cool. Glad a teenager learned something from me today.

>Freedom of Speech does not encompass the entire first amendment.
>he's STILL trying
>>
>>51928609
>It prides itself on free speech
No. 4chan has rules. Anonymity provides freedom from social pressure, not freedom from the website's rules.
I couldn't say, "I like lolis," on my Facebook because that shit would have social repercussions. I can say it here. I can't spam lolis on a board where they're off-topic, though.
4chan is not about disrespecting board culture and others.

If you think 4chan is the place where you're supposed to be spamming the first juvenile thing that pops into your head, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>51929555
Spotted the newfag.
>>
>>51929186

I started actively going on 4chan in 2014, am I a newfag fampai?
>>
>>51929563
Spotted the underage b&.
>>
>>51929529

Cool, because I never stated it did. You're trying this hard, and it's really kinda sad, man
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 326x326) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 326x326
>>51929010
You should spend a week browsing Reddit exclusively and see how you feel about 4chan after.
>>
>>51929593
Spotted the old guy
>>
>>51929606
If you're the same guy that I was initially arguing with then you definitely did. >>51928609
>It prides itself on free speech.
el oh el
>>
>>51929628

>it prides itself on free speech
>free speech encompasses the first amendment

No, I didn't. You're grasping at really short straws, man.
>>
>>51929614

In fact, spend half of that week on /r/4chan, and you HAVE to read the comments. They're pure fucking cancer, and Reddit is just a huge fucking circlejerk with stupid memes and inside jokes. One of the problems with having a rating system.
>>
>>51928483
>>51929075
Well the programming board is pretty good. The others I don't know /cyb/ does seem pretentious
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 995x933) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 995x933
>>51929681
>wew lad
>>
File: image_0.jpg (92 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
92 KB, 640x640
>>51924928
/g/ is still awesome.
>>
>>51927441
>>51929701
OP asked for BIG online communities senpai
>>
File: reddit.jpg (1 MB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
reddit.jpg
1 MB, 2048x2048
>>51929681
>/r/4chan
>>
>>51925229
The only decent boards in this entire things are /vr/ and /tg/

Everything else is pure unadultered cancer, even boards that have always been glorified comic reliefs such as /v/ have completely lost their appeal because they aren't even funny nor do they even have any OC anymore.
>>
>>51929440
He is just flaunting his imaginary superiority to feel good
>>
ylilauta /int/
>>
>>51929716
>/g/
>awesome
/g/ doesn't know SHIT about technology
>>>/v/
>>
this >>51929922 for >>51929736 , too
>>
>>51929945
What?
>>
File: everything_wrong_with_reddit.png (380 KB, 1883x2237) Image search: [Google]
everything_wrong_with_reddit.png
380 KB, 1883x2237
>>51924928
4chan was cool before you reddit faggots came here to shitpost en masse.
>>
>>51930006
don't respond to redditards, please.
>>
>>51930026
Take my upvote.
>>
File: 1445166158279.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1445166158279.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
>>51924928
/Pol/ is the only place on the internet still worth visiting desu
>>
>>51930040
>/pol/
>worth
Pick one fagget
>>
>>51930069
Spotted the joo
>>
>>51929904
>bantering with mongolians
spurdo.gaypeg
>>
>>51930040
/pol/ is so predictable one could write a state machine to recreate an accurate simulation of it.
>>
>>51929864
>the only good boards are the boards I like
>>
File: vladimir-putin_416x416.jpg (34 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
vladimir-putin_416x416.jpg
34 KB, 416x416
>>51930096
spotted the stormfront goy
>>
>>51930114

Other way around. I like them because they are the only good boards.

But tell me, you're probably a newfag who came here from r/4chan and thinks that /v/ is the best shit ever so that's why you're getting offended by my classification of cancer because you fit on it, aren't you?
>>
>>51930040

>Misinfo and Concern Trolling: The Board
>worth visiting

"no"
>>
>>51930110
SAYS THE LIBTARD
>>
>>51930137
Immediately accusing me of being a redditfag eh? There are lots of good boards, they are just a little slow. Also you're being pretty toxic man.
>>
>>51930137
>that's why you're getting offended by my classification of cancer
>>
>>51929010

Yeah I agree, the most annoying part is when people yell reddit boogeyman anytime they don't like something. Wow, that sounds familiar.
>>
>>51930220
>toxic

As if you needed to make it even more obvious. Say problematic next.
>>
File: 1447997627065.png (649 KB, 977x1195) Image search: [Google]
1447997627065.png
649 KB, 977x1195
>>51930161
>The only place in the net devoid of SJeWing and libcuckery
>full of misinfo
Irony: The Post
>>
File: le 8gag army.jpg (449 KB, 1914x960) Image search: [Google]
le 8gag army.jpg
449 KB, 1914x960
>>51930361
>the only place full of natsoc professional victims trying to sway public opinion with their le ebin internet activism by lying through their teeth
>good
Hilarity: The Post
>>
>>51927441
It's alright. The only worthwhile boards are /prog/, /tech/, some of /art/ and some of /lit/. Everything else is kinda a waste of time, although it isn't complete shit
>>
>>51924928

Human nature itself is crap, not the platforms that humans collectively use to share their crappy views. You're complaining about a symptom of the problem while ignoring the problem itself.

So to answer your question: Whatever community that doesn't enforce...

a.) Rigid moderation with no oversight (most message boards)
b.) A "good-ol'-boy" system that enables only members with the most tenure to be entitled to their views (GameFAQs) or
c.) Direct democracy that silences unpopular opinions (Reddit)

4chan is the only example that immediately comes to mind. You'll have to wade through tons of shitposting and /pol/emics, but 4chan is definitely more of a "free speech" zone than most other message boards. There's also the arguable advantage of anonymity - people can't tie your reputation to a specific username, so it's not as easy for anyone to dismiss you / filter you out entirely. Of course, it's mostly /pol/tards who abuse this.
>>
Why are altnet imageboards and forums so fucking garbage? See: overchan, torchan
>>
What are some good irc channels or forums dedicated to modding, vidya cheats, electronics (breadboarding, reverse engineering, etc), or mmos?
>>
>>51929101
>>>/tumbler/
Also reddit is basicly 4chans retarded child because the people who made it wanted a "cleaner" more ""mature"" version of 4chan which doesnt have the same "bad" reputation as 4chan, but like we all know reddit is a echobox for mature children and children.
>>
Reddit here, /r/ama!
>>
All these people complaining about plebbit and they don't know /g/ is worse
>>
>>51924928
4chan was cool when I first found it, and now faggots like you post on it.
>>
File: 1389695560731.jpg (18 KB, 533x388) Image search: [Google]
1389695560731.jpg
18 KB, 533x388
>>51930748
>ama

Ironically enough this is exactly why I hate that place. I've tried visitting some specific subreddits for a while but I just can't stomach it. Their ego is simply all over the place and they treat the place like it's a very serious extension of real life. They value their accounts and karma like they are actually important or mean anything and everything is centered around their belly. I can't help but feel like most people there actually think people are interested in them or thinking about them like they are some hot shit and I simply cannot understand whenever I see something like "Hey, I do this completely arbitrary and irrelevant specific thing that doesn't do anything. AMA!" and I'm like "who the fuck do you think you are? Who gives a fuck?"

The discussions are usually centered around the ego. It's always "I did this", "this happened to ME", "I thought this", "I am this", "I am hot shit", "I'm important" and so on. It's fucking obnoxious.

I also hate the artificially "civilized" behavior. You can tell people want to punch each other yet they try their best to not sound like it. And speaking of which, the entire userbase is extremely childish. For example, in order to criticize something, you can't just go and speak your mind, you have to go really out of your way and sugarcoat every negative thing you have to say with euphemisms and excuses otherwise you get downvoted to hell and beyond, no matter how accurate you actually were.

People there care way more about the exposition of something rather than its content. They also are prone to eat marketing crap without bating an eye and there's a fucking LOT of "vanilla" fags taking everything for its face value, aka some dad old farts who are barely even familiar with the internet itself. Most subs are glorified circlejerks where criticism is never allowed and you have to practically beg for mercy and forgiveness before voicing out your concerns.

1/10 only good as a news aggregator.
>>
>>51928241
troon spotted
>>
>>51931110
this is a pretty accurate summation of everything wrong with that culture. it's really fake. the first paragraph also applies to tripfags. good work, anon.
>>
>>51925104

If you're a russian maybe
>>
File: 1449937170934.png (54 KB, 202x200) Image search: [Google]
1449937170934.png
54 KB, 202x200
>People whine all the time.
>>
>>51931324
>if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything!

>>>/reddit/
>>>/safespaces/
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/neogaf/
>>
File: 1434013134318.jpg (36 KB, 444x410) Image search: [Google]
1434013134318.jpg
36 KB, 444x410
4chan was really good back in 2008

no plebs, no sjw fags, no normalfags

everyone posted gore, porn, whatever and no one cried

everyone was edgy, no one tried to be some kind of wannabe moralfag

memes were still good, none of this "lol im pretend to speak like nigger" twitter/tumblr/facebook memes

attention whores were told tits or gtfo, with no white knight betas orbiting the thread and defending her

as usual it was ruined by the masses, who outnumbered the genuine 4channers by 1000-1

so now we have reddit 2.0
>>
>>51930278
more than 50% of the time they are probably right.
>>
File: mis.jpg (146 KB, 774x718) Image search: [Google]
mis.jpg
146 KB, 774x718
>>51929681
>/r/4chan
Are you for real? Even though I hate reddit and never really use it, I've known for a fact that that reddit board is completely stupid. Its like a /b/ worship thread. A weird board within the reddit sphere.
>>
>>51931420

>everyone was edgy, no one tried to be some kind of wannabe moralfag

This and people taking jokes for their face value are the major problems I see here. Nowadays people treat 4chan like they are on facebook, roleplaying their made up "superior" character and trying desperately to grasp for the higher ground and sound witty. Most people trying to refute someone here nowadays for example can never go beyond a glorified "no u", because repeating things in contrary is the go-to crutch for pseudo-intellectuals.

It's a lot less genuine right now because the majority is a bunch of people who are normalfags to their core with normalfag views and goals, they just so happened to fail at pulling it off naturally IRL so they're like a frustrated version of a normalfag, but a normalfag nonetheless.
>>
>>51931496
no u
>>
>>51931420
4chan was never, ever like this. People say it was, but I was here in 2008. So many posts about how 4chan was full of cancer. People have said this time was better than that time, moralfags, newfags. Bitch bitch bitch. The difference is some moderation happens now so that the site don't get its pooper raided every other day. That is it. Since 4chan became 4chan people bitched that its shit now, even when it was shiny and new.
>>
>>51931546
When it was new it had people from SA come and call it shit. It came from shit, it's been shit, and it will forever be shit. But it's still the most popular English-speaking imageboard, and I can't go back to non-imageboards.
>>
>>51931420
>back in 2008

Man I remember when newfag summer was a thing. This post is completely inaccurate by the way. This is a fucking massive nostalgia boner. Functionality wise, the only thing better back then was no captcha.

Boy oh boy do I wish I could go back to the days of endless spam, thread hijacks and sagebombs. 4chan was definitely more unique back then.
>>
>>51925408
digg was never that big to begin with. The problem is that "internet culture" (text pics) got popular people wanted to find a source so they could spam their facebook with them and reddit had stolen most of it already. Reddit slowly seeped into here and now 4chan is unforgivable shit. The mods being complete shit didnt help.

>>51924928
I've got some message boards I go to that have stayed good for almost 10 years. The secret is to never tell anyone about them except IRL friends you know are a good fit and let the community run them off if they are shit.
>>
>>51931578
>calling them "text pics"
>not image macros

You're part of the problem.
>>
Lainchan isn't bad, it's still young though and pretty special interest to some extent so maybe that's why.
>>
>>51931599
They are called memes. Everything is called a meme now. This meme thread is on a meme board.
>>
>>51931599
meh
>>
>>51924928

Carve out space for yourself on the existing big websites. 4chan has some pockets of good content (but really, I come here FOR the shitposting), as does reddit, but you aren't going to find non-crap on /b/ or /r/all. Look harder.

The only community site I used to frequent and now have absolutely no use for is Fark. It's got this nauseatingly artificial "good" community that is still 2005-edgy.
>>
>>51925577
Operatorchan was good for a while, it was made by /k/ommandos who got tired of some of the bullshit at /k/ and made their own site. I don't know how it is now since I don't go there or to /k/ much these days
>>
>>51930040
>/Pol/
Well le'd my good sir!
>>
>>51928073

Who is they?
>>
To be fair, if you having nothing worthwhile to say, or at least amusing, you ain't ever finding a good community - everyone will ignore you. So, you know, self-assess a little.
>>
>>51925577
>big communities
>obscure imageboards

>>51931703
>Operatorchan
I don't give a rat's ass about muh guns but opchan's the only place where tripfags can even be half decent.
>>
>>51931610

>>51928483
>>51929075
>>
Oh look neckbeards are starting to realize that you need to talk to people sometimes, I wonder when they will realize that there is, like, life beyond the internet.
>>
>>51931662
>4chan has some pockets of good content (but really, I come here FOR the shitposting)
same tbqh
>>
File: 1420086119359.png (415 KB, 655x653) Image search: [Google]
1420086119359.png
415 KB, 655x653
>>51925577
>master
>8
>good
>>
>>51931728
>no u
>>51931496
>>
>>51926190
Windows 10 is good. I like it. It runs flawlessly.
>>
>>51931546

>le 4chan was always shit xD meme

yes people said it back then, but thats because they werent such faggots to say "wew this website is soo good guiz xDDD lets tell everyone of our cool little website"

It was like a little joke, 4chan was a fuck ups wet dream .. a free for all with little to no censorship.

now its just another normalfag hugbox

>>51931571

>Boy oh boy do I wish I could go back to the days of endless spam, thread hijacks and sagebombs. 4chan was definitely more unique back then.

4chan was more chaotic, sure, but also more free and less SJW fest catering to mass morality...

I'm sure you love this version more because you can try to be the supreme moralist intellectual.

Most oldfags are long gone, and your kind probably heard about 4chan once in 2008 and then came back in 2013 , so get gud 2bh my newfag friend
>>
>>51925551
Fuck off, you stupid cunt.
>>
File: 1425356583323.jpg (57 KB, 895x895) Image search: [Google]
1425356583323.jpg
57 KB, 895x895
>>51931813
>>
>>51931817
>yes people said it back then, but thats because they werent such faggots to say "wew this website is soo good guiz xDDD lets tell everyone of our cool little website"

>It was like a little joke, 4chan was a fuck ups wet dream .. a free for all with little to no censorship.

Indeed. These people only say these things completely missing the point or the underlying entry level borderline innocent irony behind it when it was said at the time because they just read about 4chan at knowyourmeme, enciclopedia dramatic or some other shit, instead of actually being part of it at the time.
>>
>>51930537

Wow what a poor little victim/weakling mentality you have
>>
What.cd
>>
>reddit is a single, cohesive community

wat

By your logic I can say 4chan is shit just because of /b/

Are you sure you know how reddit works?
>>
File: 1257288778663.jpg (40 KB, 574x528) Image search: [Google]
1257288778663.jpg
40 KB, 574x528
>>51931546
>2008. So many posts about how 4chan was full of cancer.

Oh man, nostalgia. I remember "_ is the chemo" or "you are the cancer" posts, so many of them. Also Haruhiism, Lucky Star vs Gurren Lagann on /a/, Death Note and "Just as planned" everywhere, the making of /jp/ to contain Touhous, etc...

Oh god, I just realized 2008 was so long ago. Oh god, hold me, I'm getting old...
>>
Is there a name for this phenomenon?

Like a popularity paradox?
>>
>>51932025
The rest of reddit is shit too.
>>
>>51932025

you can always take the tone and atmosphere of the website as a whole, and use it to make judgement

As a whole, reddit is a website that promotes censorship, and also relies heavily on pussy footing around subjects and acting like a cuck
>>
with reddit, the upper limit is 70k subscribers. any more than that and it's garbage

i don't know how many active participants 70k subscribers is, but it's not a time thing, it's a number of people thing. online communities just kinda forget what they're about after that point

it's very sad, i've seen it happen in a lot of places, sometimes it doesn't even need that many people
>>
>>51932060

its called "normalfags"
>>
>>51932097
By your own opinion, what is a sub that isn't shit?
>>
>>51931817
>I'm sure you love this version more because you can try to be the supreme moralist intellectual.

I like it more because the site itself is better. I've been here since that newfag summer of 07, before /a/ was split and the site was a fucking chore. Even when you were banned it blocked you from seeing the board you were banned from completely. And people bitched just as much back then but the bitching was solely focused on what was cancerous, and everything was cancerous.

You want to see what 4chan was like before 2009 go to /tv/ right now, spam and shitpost central. Entire boards taken up with one topic only.
>>
voat.co and /tech/ on 2*4chan
>mfw reluctant to post because you faggots will ruin them like you ruined /g/
>>
>>51932208
>voat
>>
>>51929075
cupcake, op is talking about BIG online cumminites, not small ones with owner who shows his penis into cam. No need to get buttblasted.
>>
>>51932208
>2 posts per months
>all of them more ignorant than rocks talking about the color of the sky
>>
>>51932097
There are a few fairly active ones. I like /r/badeconomics and it has more than that.
>>
>>51932060
>>51932117
>its called "normalfags"
This sounds hipster as fuck, but it's true. Whatever the topic is, people who are casually interested tend to dilute the pure essence of anything into useless garbage.

Just look at /g/.
>technology meets the casually interested
>/g/ - the mindless consumerism/fanboyism board
>>
>install latest python 3.5
>add it to PATH via custom install option
>pip install praw
>copy this code http://pastebin.com/sm6fpcNU
>change to your username/password

Reminder to delete all your reddit shit.

Don't forget your faceboom/myspace/etcface
>>
>>51932296
It wasn't always this way. It only got bad about 1.5 years ago. Before that it was pretty manageable.
>>
>>51930110
I'm not convinced that isn't exactly what it is.
>>
>>51932296
>This sounds hipster as fuck, but it's true

It is, fuck me if it sounds hipterish or whatnot. Not gonna dance around the subject just because someone may get triggered because this is plain fact.

Popularity sends everything straight into shit. I have yet to see a single thing that actually improved once it got more popular.
>>
>>51932381
>https://github.com/asonawalla/FBEraser

For the normie facebookfags.

Edit the code as needed.
>>
What I find fascinating about reddit lately (started browsing it a year or so ago because it's a good useful info aggregator for specific subjects) is that I am noticing a giant presence of your typical /pol/ack prancing around those made-up bullshit tacky stories with a forced emotional appeal and an underlying agenda they type around to try to trick people into eating their shit. I'm seeing a lot of gamergater shit even on unrelated subs and they are always lying through their asses. The whole place is starting to feel like a huge MRA circlejerk lately. I even saw some girl describing an incident when she was raped in a simple thread asking you to describe the worst experience you've ever had or something like that and then a billion MRAs showed up right away bashing her and trying to spin a professional victim chauvinist garbage narrative about how it is way worse for guys and yadda yadda and I was like "wut". I'm getting really sick of this professional victim /pol/ack mindset I'm seeing around, this shit is so fucking obnoxious and they are so full of shit.
>>
>>51924928
hn is okay if you're in the ict industry
>>
>>51932500
>sjw cuck coming out the woodworks
If I could gas your kind, I would. No joke. The extremist types are always the worse of the society.
>>
This thread in 2008 would have been sagebombed to death just for the use of that fucking reddit image.
>>
>>51932536
>sagebombed
>/g/
>>
>>51932521
HN is cancer. It's literally oligarchy: the internet forum. It's run by rich SV jews and absolutely shuns anything that could be remotely considered disagreeing with the status quo. Plus they make it so that certain members have two or even three times the voting power of regular members And then they shadowban you for disagreeing. Did I mention disagreement is against the site rules? ("negativity")
>>
>>51932566
For reddit? Damn right it would have.
>>
>>51932521
HN is long dead. Its been dead for years now. The HN of now is a pure shame to what it was.
>>
>>51932500
Is this pasta or is it just a fantasjwy?
>>
>>51932633
Caught in a landslide
>>
>>51932536
4chan has gone to shit so much that people are willing to read through the thread and actually answer thoughtfully.
>>
There is one general rule for online communities:
Size is inversely proportional with quality.
>>
>>51932604
I've been here on 4chan and /g/, since a year after the beginning. /g/ has never really used the "sage bomb" technique. It shows your newness when you say such things about /g/. There are other boards that use "sage bomb" but those were mostly carried out by new people who don't understand how to use sage properly.
>>
>>51932651
Nah, too low userbase and it might as well not exist. Average userbase and there's the right amount of shitposters v.s. bestposters. A single poster above average userbase and all hell breaks lose as the domino effect sets in and reddit comes swarming in.
>>
>>51932525

Way to expose yourself, /pol/ cuck.

I always love how you guys try to put everybody in this "us vs them" game to try to spin down your bullshit when you're just different sides of the same coins, aka a bunch of professional victims trying to force their narrative through concern trolling.

Go create some more fake SJW accounts on twitter and argue against them like you guys like to do or something.
>>
>>51932663
>this entire post
>nfw
>>
>>51924928
If I told you about the cool communities, you'd come there and fuck it up.
>>
>>51932681
Yeah, perhaps I was generalizing the rule too much to point extreme cases. What you said is more accurate
>>
>>51924928

if reddit is so popular why cant they afford servers to handle their traffic?

if i wanted that, i'd just stay on 4chan

also

>they literally have a 4chan sub reddit
>but you cant actually post any 4chan material there
>just vaguely describe what you saw in a blue board fashion
>>
>>51932723

It's because 4CHAN IS THOSE LE HACKER GUYS FROM THE DEEPWEB OR SOMETHING LOLZ I'M AFRAID OF THEM BRB GONNA TWEET THIS, aka underage easily impressionable people.
>>
>>51932706
Unless your community is already very fast, that's not going to happen. The shitposters will just abandon the place after a week at most.

Then again, we all know your community is literally worse than reddit.
>>
>>51924928
I call this phenomena shit-post convergence.

-A decent website is established. A pragmatic core of this website makes it very appealing.

-Crappy people find paradise. They nest them selves there. Most of them are unemployed or have no lives outside of work.

-Crappy people make shitty posts,

- Good people put up with it for a while and make their own post

- Crappy people become overly invested in the site and out-post the good people. A larger portion of Good content is drowned out.

- Good people grow tired of this, leave the website and go on living good lives.

-Crappy people attract more crappy people because of what they have in common with one another.

- The only good people that don't leave are the socially oblivious DIY-ers.

Reddit is the exception because it allows good people to ignore the noise and hide in their obscure subreddits. 4chan is just shit all over. Including your post and my comment. We are shitty people.
>>
>>51932723
>if reddit is so popular why cant they afford servers to handle their traffic?
>python
Not even once.
>>
>>51932766
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>51932755
Every community that was once great got fucked up by shitposters eventhough they thought it wasn't possible.
You're probably right about the quality though. You should just stay on reddit and 4chan.
>>
>>51932812
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>51924928
shitskin.com
>>
>posting on cuckchan
>links reddit image
>>
File: 8.jpg (425 KB, 1916x958) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
425 KB, 1916x958
>>51933089
>posting on wannabechan
>>
>>51926190
Windows 10 hete. I just wish I had a windows phone with it
>>
File: maximum_brofist.png (598 KB, 900x603) Image search: [Google]
maximum_brofist.png
598 KB, 900x603
>>51928576
this

IRC channels are the only good way to get real-time discussion going about channel-related topic.
Whoever says IRC is outdated should either provide better alternative or get fucked with cactus made out of barbed wire and AIDS.
>>
>>51926165
Is ripster still around?
>>
>>51933403
>Completely 2-level centralized
>IDs everywhere, sometimes even registered IDs
>IP leaked to all users
>live conversation only
0/10, the reddit of chat.
>>
>>51929463
>overwhelming majority
How the fuck you wanna know it's the majority if all of the rest just lurks. Pretty hard to count lurkers.
>>
>>51933866
Because you can count the amount of newfag posts. If newfag posts are more than 0, then someone hasn't been lurking. If newfag posts outnumber non-newfag posts, then the majority of posters, by definition, don't lurk before posting.
>>
>>51924928
Find a good, 20-50 regulars, IRC channel with a moderator that values similar things in people as you do.
>>
File: peperage.jpg (4 KB, 125x123) Image search: [Google]
peperage.jpg
4 KB, 125x123
you people are the cancer killing /g/. theres no way i would let you shit up my chill spots
>>
File: lolis.png (2 MB, 1492x871) Image search: [Google]
lolis.png
2 MB, 1492x871
Tumblr
>>
>>51929614
With reddit it feels like you have to be careful of what you say. Or god forbid you offend someone, get "downvoted" into oblivion, pm'd a hundred times and shadow banned. Don't say anything negative about Apple on r/Android or you're fucked!
>>
>>51934388
Dubs confirmed, Tumblr is the best website.
>>
>>51924980
>xda
>implying implications
>>
>>51934388
I can't wait until Yahoo goes under so this shit will die.

Not only is it dumb as shit, but it's also adding fuel to the /pol/ shitstorm.
>>
>>51934474
~~~._/\_.XTREME MEGA ROM X._/\_.~~~

todo: boot without softbricking

PLEASE DONATE
>>
>>51925588
Hey, I know that place, it has sweet Japanese porn games
>>
try going outside or hanging out with friends
>>
>>51935055
>/g/'s irl friends
>big community
>>
>>51935055
>normies are the solution
Yeah, I bet THEY have something interesting to say. I mean, they are NORMIES ffs. /sarcasm trigger alert
>>
File: 1449789169577.jpg (132 KB, 391x311) Image search: [Google]
1449789169577.jpg
132 KB, 391x311
"""spam filter"""

http://pastebin.com/SkRQr50t
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.