[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Basically finished with beginner distros like ubuntu and mint.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: debianfedora.jpg (28 KB, 376x279) Image search: [Google]
debianfedora.jpg
28 KB, 376x279
Basically finished with beginner distros like ubuntu and mint. What should I move on to next? Don't think I'm ready for all that Gentoo/Arch entails.
>>
>>51920817
doesn't matter, once you've learned enough about linux you'll end up with debian or centos(maybe fedora) anyway
>>
i found fedora just as easy as mint and ubuntu. debian for me was just like ubuntu but with more added stress. desu arch isnt as hard as it seems. after the install its pretty smooth
>>
>>51920855
they are all the same. and if you aren't legally retarded all are "easy".
the only reason why everyone ends with debian or centos is because it's stable and supported, so you won't have to deal with broken shit
>>
i'm sticking with xubuntu forever
>>
>>51920817
Use gentoo because its the easiest to customize.
>>
If you're bored of Debian and Fedora you are definitely ready for Arch. But don't stay there. That's a mistake a lot of beginners make.
>>
I hate apt so I always use Fedora
>>
fedora is shit
>>
I think if you're bored with Ubuntu you should jump straight into Arch; Debian and Fedora aren't that much harder to use.
>>
>>51920855
>beginning a sentence with desu
ファックユウ
>>
Debian isn't that great for desktops or other machines where you'd like want to run software that's less than two years old. Even unstable is always out of date, and usually lives up to its name more than cutting edge distros.
>>
>>51920817
>Don't think I'm ready for all that Gentoo/Arch entails.
Where I come from reading comprehension is taught in primary school.
It's not hard. Read the instructions and follow them and if you fuck up, start over. You won't have to buy another license.
>>
>>51920817
Try Linux From Scratch desu senpai
>>
fedora

>>51921124
new
>>
>>51921219
>excusing lack of effort
>>
>>51920855
>easy
>hard
>difficulty installing/using linux
As other anon has said, debian is used because it's stable. Arch isn't, but delivers the newest shit. There is no easy or hard.
>>
>>51921173
Seriously, I just finished installing Arch, the only way you can fuck up is if you can't read and figure out what you're supposed to do with your specific hardware.

and if you're doing it on a hyper-visor just remember to recognize the session as a separate computer.
>>
>>51921240

People forget about Sid. Running unstable on Debian right now actually gets you a lot of software newer than what Arch has, the kernel being a good example.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.