[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Debian have both rolling release and stable release version.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11
Debian have both rolling release and stable release version. If Arch Linux so great, why don't they have stable version like Debian Jessie?
>>
>>51915171

debian is shit.

jesus man, if i could kill off one thing in the universe it would be debian.

man someone needs to erase it from peoples memories.
>>
Arch is stable already. If you mean stale as in old versions, then yeah Arch lacks a stale version
>>
>>51915171
Because that would require competency and hard work, and the point of Arch Linux is to pretend that you're competent and hard working.
>>
>debian stable
>outdated as shit
>debian testing
>lol package freeze for 6 months
>debian sid
>more unstable than arch
shit distro desu fedora and arch are better
>>
>>51915171
unironically install gentoo

portage master race
>>
>>51915700
>using untested packages
Enjoy breaking your system senpai
>>
>>51915700
enjoy wasting your time senpai

the easiest way to win at life is by spending as little time on bullshit as possible, but I wouldn't expect you to understand
>>
>>51915171
Install linux-stable?
>>
>>51915776
>not funtoo
>>
>>51915171
but they do have a stable lts kernel, and userland software should be the domain of the user not the maintainers. arch can be as stable or as bleeding edge as you choose
>>
>>51915171
>If Arch Linux so great, why don't they have stable version like Debian Jessie?

Debian has over 1000 developers, Arch has almost none because it's a timesink meme distro for autismo wannabe ricers.
>>
>>51916971
what about gentoo
>>
I'm honestly surprised at how popular Debian is on /g/.

I remember glancing at the catalog like 1-2 years ago when Elementary OS was all the rage.
>>
File: plebian.jpg (82 KB, 680x307) Image search: [Google]
plebian.jpg
82 KB, 680x307
>>51915171
>debian
>rolling release
wut?
>>
File: Well meme'd.jpg (141 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
Well meme'd.jpg
141 KB, 803x688
>>51916971
>>
Arch devs are like teenagers they don't know how to program much less backport fixes to older versions of programs
>>
File: 1426238799523.jpg (23 KB, 250x228) Image search: [Google]
1426238799523.jpg
23 KB, 250x228
>mfw I fell for the arch meme
>>
File: debian.png (17 KB, 1167x271) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
17 KB, 1167x271
>logo is created using a proprietary program not available on GNU/Linux without emulating Windows (Illustrator)
>releases are named after characters from a proprietary movie created by company that was almost wholly owned by STEVE FUCKING PROPRIETARY JOBS
>autismal about including proprietary software

That said, if there was a version of Debian that didn't have this autism but kept apt-get and was reasonably up to date I'd probably use that. Oh wait, it's called Ubuntu.
>>
>>51915776
How is portage?

I've never really used gentoo
>>
>>51919537
>knowing jack shit about the distro you're making fun of
>>
>>51915171
Oh, but they do, only thing Arch user needs to is is to turn off their pacman -Suy daemon for an hour.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-18_09-32-33.png (459 KB, 1364x771) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-18_09-32-33.png
459 KB, 1364x771
>>51915776
this tЬh.
>>51916811
funtoo a shit. Literally no advantage over gentoo.
Source: used it for a couple of months.
>>51921207
portage master race. Once you have set up your make.conf it's literally one key update every now and then. Sure, you got compile times, but the largest packets that need really much time to compile have a binary version, so nothing to worry about. Also, sometimes you need to write down in the package.use some of per-package requirements; But that's only if you need something in particular.
>>
>>51916286
I want you to spend more time inside my ass, onii-chan
>>
>>51926438
>funtoo a shit. Literally no advantage over gentoo.
this desu senpai
>>
File: arch_lol.png (2 MB, 950x6185) Image search: [Google]
arch_lol.png
2 MB, 950x6185
>want to use arch
>no setup wizard 2015
>lol just follow wiki
I already have a fucking job
>>
>>51928380
>want to use Arch
>too dumb to install arch
>b-b-but I'm busy flipping burgers!
>>
>>51928380
>Architect
>>
File: arch beard.jpg (9 KB, 226x221) Image search: [Google]
arch beard.jpg
9 KB, 226x221
>>51928380
*ping -c 3 www.google.com* *cgdisk /dev/sda* new -> first sector -> size 1007kb -> hex ef02 -> BIOS new -> first sector -> size = 95% of disk -> hex 8300 -> root new -> first sector -> size = RAM capacity x2 -> hex 8200 -> swap *mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2* *mkswap /dev/sda3* *mount /dev/sda2 /mnt* *nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist* *pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel* *genfstab -U -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab* *nano /mnt/etc/fstab* *arch-chroot /mnt* *nano /etc/locale.gen* uncomment your language *locale-gen* *echo LANG=en_US.UTF-8 > /etc/locale.conf* *export LANG=en_US.UTF-8* *ls -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/yourcountry/yourcity > /etc/localtime* *hwclock --systohc --utc* *echo yourpcname > /etc/hostname* *nano /etc/pacman.conf* uncomment [multilib] and [Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist] new line add [archlinuxfr] and SigLevel = Never and Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch *pacman -Sy* *passwd* *useradd -m -g users -G wheel,storage,power -s /bin/bash yourusername *passwd yourusername* *pacman -S sudo -> EDITOR=nano visudo* uncomment %wheel ALL=(ALL)ALL *pacman -S grub* *grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sda *iplink* *systemctl enable [email protected] *exit* *umount -R /mnt* *reboot* remove installation media and log in *xorg-xclock xterm* *pacman -S mesa* *sudo pacman -S gnome gnome-extra* *sudo systemctl enable gdm.services* *sudo pacman -S gnome-tweak-tool*
>>
>>51928380
>Want to do X
>Too dumb or lazy to do X
>Instead of taking responsibility, claim "waste of time"
Problem solved - you didn't need to strain yourself mentally, and you get to feel good about it!
>>
>>51928522
>mfw I make enough to buy my own house

>>51928542
awesome but have you arch people not invented mice yet?

>>51928573
>typing out every single command is not a waste of time and super smart

>found "my arch linux instant soup" script in my arch notes
>bliss
>>
>>51928965

>mfw he's talking about the installer
>mfw when i have no face
>>
>quoted wrong person
my bad

>Architect Linux
this looks awesome, thanks
>>
>>51915468
>butthurt archfag
better get fixing on that X config, fgt
>>
>>51915509
>Arch is stable
dumbass actually believes this
>>
>>51916854
>arch can be as stable
except for randomly not booting anymore
>>
>>51928965
This -> >>51929013
You pretend to hate Arch but this is merely because other anon shitpost about ot being too difficult, ain't it?

Instead of dumbly following the memewave and hate what people tell you to hate, you'd better gain some skills and know a little bit more about what you criticize.
>>
I don't hate Arch, I like it because of KISS and its wiki is actually very good but am sad there is still no official installer (to my knowledge)
>>
>>51928542
>using archlinux.fr
Top pleb
>>
File: Mac-OS-X-Mavericks-Logo.jpg (141 KB, 791x419) Image search: [Google]
Mac-OS-X-Mavericks-Logo.jpg
141 KB, 791x419
what about osx guys?
>>
>>51926438
>using unstable packages
>tiling wm on a laptop
>3 line prompt
>needs to see his ip all the fucking time on panel
>address bar cluttered with unused shitty buttons
>search bar in 2015
3/10
stop posting screenshots
>>
>>51929717
It used to have one but arch devs left it to rot and later removed it. Arch really doesn't even need anything special they just need something like OpenBSD's install script.
>>
>>51929717
There is, for several years now. If you're thinking official as in the installer used by debian that holds your hand, no Arch will never have one. It goes against their philosophy.
>>
>>51915468
>debian is shit.

How so? does it lack packages?
>No

Does it not have security?
>It has a shit load including IPTABLES, TCPwrapper, ZONES, SElinux

Is it not windows?

Am I using it right now to run KVM virtualised system of red hat for the purpose of practicing for the RHCA exam?
>Yes
>>
>>51930345
No, it never had one.
>>
i don't use gnu+linux but I think arch has the best logo
>>
>>51930356
Not to mantion I have broken ubuntu by being a "power user"

Debian 8 (jessie) tho has yet to fail and I have change a lot of defaults.

I may be an experienced Linux user but at least I know arch is shit by personal experience. I mean I am able to script very efficient yet arch linux would break important configs after a simple selective update.
>>
>>51915509
>he doesnt understand what stabe means
>>
>>51930369
The logo implies a power users who is ether a hacker or a programmer. It is sad to see people thing arch teaches them to hack.
>>
>>51930382
It will, because it is BLEEDING edge. If you want stable Debian is the way to go.
>>
>>51930404
No, it doesn't. The logo is just a fancy A, which stands for arch. Wtf are you on to anon?
>>
>>51915509
What the think do you think stable means?

To me it means a distro which does not insert broken packages into a system of which relies on non broken packagaes,

Update the xorg and the gui may break.
Update wpa_supplicant and wireless will break (Like normal)
>>
>>51928965
>>typing out every single shitpost is not a waste of time and super smart
>>
>>51930424
Maybe you should read the community which follows your beloved arch.

Bunch of beginners who in the end learn nothing.
>>
>>51930362
Yes, it did. Apparently it nobody wanted to commit their time to maintaining it though.
>>
>>51930448
Whatever you say anon
>>
>>51930464
Link? Source? This is the 1st time I've heard of that one and I've been using this distro for close to 10 yrs.
>>
>>51930382
pacman doesn't do shit to your configs
>>
>>51920354
I agree. All valid reasons.
>>
>>51926438
What is the font in your terminal emulator?
>>
>>51930969
Looks like Terminus. But I could be wrong.
>>
>>51930448
Hey I installed it and all I have done is see how much of the core system i can replace with better alternatives. I am now trying to replace systemd with rc. If it all breaks I will move my main to openBSD but I still started with arch.
>>
>>51930236
b8
>>
>>51930538
https://www.archlinux.org/news/install-media-20120715-released/
>>
I never had a problem with Arch that wasn't my fault.
>>
>>51926438

Can some anon tell me how do I make my prompt look like that?
Do I need zsh?
>>
>>51915171
Debian Jessie is on an old as fuck kernel 3.16.7.

If you have newer hardware, you are better off on 4.2 or 4.3 which means using Debian testing or unstable. This is not much different than being on an arch based distro except you have to deal with apt and old packages.

Furthermore the available packages for Debian are so old, it's like being stuck in a time capsule. If you want anything newer, you have to build it which takes ages. Fuck that. Overall it was too much work for me.
>>
>>51930431
>What the think do you think stable means?

>To me it means a distro which does not insert broken packages into a system of which relies on non broken packagaes,

>Update the xorg and the gui may break.
>Update wpa_supplicant and wireless will break (Like normal)

Those are not broken packages, that's you fucking up. Not saying it's easy to do, but when done correctly, everything works.
>>
>>51931692
>https://www.archlinux.org/news/install-media-20120715-released/
Ok, read about it. The project died because no one or very few people wanted to support it which is understandable. It doesn't fit in with arch's mantra.
>>
>>51932007
Yeah it was ncurses based like a lot of distro installers were at one time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWRkho6OREQ
>>
>>51930431
I've had one Arch install going for about 2 years now, updating weekly. I've literally NEVER had anything break.
Stop memeing you stupid cunt.
>>
>>51928380

me too. i'm new to linux and i have installed arch in about an hour, with architect installer
>>
>>51926438
that's cool, is it bspwm?
>>
>>51928433
>b-b-but I'm busy flipping burgers!

Still pays the bills, don't be rude
>>
>>51926438
>funtoo a shit. Literally no advantage over gentoo.

yeah that's why gentoo is finally adopting things that have been funtoo best practices for years. i bet you use systemd too.
>>
>>51928542
>[email protected]
uses dhcpcd in gnome
>>
>>51921207
It's good. It installs everything from ebuilds and compiles them using use flags. This results in onley compiling software with the settings you need so your system is more minimal than most other distros, but it requires more effort and maintenance too.
I prefer pacman desu senpai.
>>
>>51934305
filtered
>>
>>51934325
>triggered
>>
>>51934333
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is fucking retarded. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>51934361
>I'm a newfag, here's some copypasta, I'm the witty guy in this thread
>>
tripcrunch shota
>>
>>51934378
>I'm a homosexual pedophile and I see nothing wrong with that
>>
>>51934397
You are mistaken, I'm just a shota, I have no interest in kids
>>
Here's my trip codes if you want to use them.

Match: ,F5t encrypts to trip sHOtaOIVbY
Match: @1ZA encrypts to trip 3GYAFShOtA
Match: ALI? encrypts to trip wShotaFHNM
Match: BQei encrypts to trip 6UCbBShOtA
Match: KMR7 encrypts to trip shotAGbUJE
Match: YR,R encrypts to trip f6LKsHotaI
Match: ]-h! encrypts to trip yvshOTaxUw
Match: a0im encrypts to trip PUjishoTAg
Match: c$WR encrypts to trip sHOtAO0ndg
Match: g=_= encrypts to trip dsHOTaNnNA
Match: gF<V encrypts to trip SHOTatooKk
Match: hv,s encrypts to trip S9e2ysHOTA
Match: mNyb encrypts to trip 8SHOTaXbss
Match: pJCD encrypts to trip scsHOtAYVg
Match: ru*c encrypts to trip XJiGShoTA6
Match: !%G7Q encrypts to trip ARtsshoTa2
Match: !',jb encrypts to trip v7h8yshotA
Match: !1s@T encrypts to trip hGGyGSHOtA
Match: !=9(Y encrypts to trip kSHOTa3u1I
Match: !?MZ' encrypts to trip 222BShoTa.
Match: !BEIN encrypts to trip 8VwV6SHoTA
Match: !GbHG encrypts to trip ZSShOtAVx6
>>
Fairy Blue
>>
File: 9841.jpg (60 KB, 960x506) Image search: [Google]
9841.jpg
60 KB, 960x506
>>51934494
>No cocks
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.