[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2015 >Linux still won't detect a huge amount of plug
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: monotaurs.png (44 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
monotaurs.png
44 KB, 1024x768
>2015
>Linux still won't detect a huge amount of plug and play LCD monitor's native resolution
>Lot of people I encouraged to switch still have PCs with VGA monitors (detected on Windows)
>implying countless attempts of XRANDR and CVT commands will even do a fucking thing

How can you guys justify that everybody should use Linux, if it won't let you simply set up your screen's native resolution with a couple of clicks?
>>
How do I sage on clover mate, cause I really want to sage your thread but I don't know how
>>
The fuck are you talking about OP?

Shit works fine.

When you go install the shit for the morons, set the resolution if need be.
>>
>>51912568
>How can you guys justify that everybody should use Linux
I don't. Ppl like you obviously shouldn't. The botnet will help you with you're misconfigs anon. It's calling for you.
>>
>>51912606
>shit works fine on MY computer.
Ftfy.
>>
>>51912769
on my home pc i have ubuntu and windows installed. ubuntu worked flawlessly out of the box, and i have a gpu and stuff like that too. everything was detected fine and the drivers are gr8. when i installed windows, there was no ethernet ootb. there was no wifi ootb. there was no sound ootb. the resolution was wrong ootb.
>>
Do you think making a thread about it is going to really help convince people to quit Windows?
Avg. User doesnt care about résolution as long it works... geez myself I dont.
>>
>>51912804
>on My own PC.

>>51912814
>I don't care about using a lower resolution so you shouldn't, and just deal with it.
really? what about workspace and sharper typographic rendering? better quality? it can be done as long the hardware follows.
if it works... for you, you're fine.
but don't claim it works fine for everyone else, it's like the same conversation i had with people offering 'support'.
goes with everything and i would like these people to understand that it's not a good approach.

some VGA monitors are detected immediately and you have the native resolution appearing on that monitors box. i just tested this at home. same computer, ssame distro, same cable won't detect other monitors. you can't explain that.
that's all.
>>
over 10 years of linux usage here

no issues with detecting the correct resolution of any of my monitors i have ever used.

but then again i've only used intel and nvidia video cards, so that's probably why.
>>
>>51912915
Just stick with a standard resolution? Do you watch HD content on your PC?
This is a stupid argument.
I dont even know my screens max res but look, I can post this message, any problem?
>>
Linux isn't perfect, but it's free, and admit it it gets the job done.
Don't be an autist, the average Joe cant tell the difference.
Case closed.
>>
>>51912982
jesus.... nope.
>>
>>51912982

Please don't tell me you are running at VGA res on a 1080p panel...
>>
>>51913037
Don't care bro. Not like this GPU would run Unity smoothly on HD.
Guess it's 1366x768.
>>
>>51912918
im just curious. what distro do you use?
>>
>>51912568
OP confirmed retard

Nothing to see here, move along
>>
>>51912568
> 2015
> using shitty 14-pin VGA cable
>>
>>51913243
So what? As long an image is displayed and works you cant tell the difference. Seriously.

>>51913233
Definitively.

>>51913037
Idiot. VGA is 640x480.
I can use 1024x768 on a Belinea 2245 G1W, 4:3 is just comfortable for typing and reading. I could set it to 1366x768 (widescreen) but everything is stretched so don't fuck with your hardware.
I highly doubt windows works like this OOTB.
>>
>>51913424
That missing pin is used for sending monitor data (such as available resolution) back to GPU. Without that pin there is no suprise that system can't detect native resolution
>>
File: 1320969815467.png (59 KB, 455x451) Image search: [Google]
1320969815467.png
59 KB, 455x451
>>51913003
I always had this problem too. AOC monitor. Shit n drivers got me mad, also
>>51912915
This, users going 'MY PC works I see no problem' pretending to help you makes it worse.

>>51913233
Wouldn't say that. It's sadly true..
>>
File: 1434375146242.jpg (21 KB, 318x307) Image search: [Google]
1434375146242.jpg
21 KB, 318x307
>>51913508
not this guy but on windows it was perfectly detected.

same machine, same screen, doesn't work on Ubuntu or Mint or Arch.

l>>51913243
youmd be surprised the amount if customers i know with a PC that's got a VGA monitor. since i hate doing the job wrong, i'm embarrassed when upgrading their virus ridden shot to linux comes with a non native resolution.

so i'm with OP: that's little things like that which ruins the user's experience. really. and it's not nothing.

>>51913424
>>51913077
>>51912982
oh these guys are even worse than "works on my machine, so i don't see the problem."

anyways while we're on the topic, is there like, a text file to edit to ensure a screen's native res is forced on the startup of the machine? NOT using the crooked way like making a >script with xrandr, cvt VGA-0 etc. that will be discarded or not working on the autorun/startup event?
>>
>>51913611
Buy Buy new graphics card and monitor with HDMI if really it's a problem. Geez i dont think db15 support half HD.
Also I really dont see the problem here. Do you NEED to force a monitor unsupported resolutions that WILL damage it? Or cause eye fatigue/flickering?
>>
>>51913508
This.
Upgrade your hardware, Linux shouldnt support deprecated hrdware to begin with.
>>
>>51913611
don't use shitnux, case solved
>>
>>51913691
buy buy buy goyim! buy! buy!
>>
File: DSC04816a.jpg (547 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSC04816a.jpg
547 KB, 1600x1200
>>51913691
> Geez i dont think db15 support half HD.
ten years ago I have a AthlonXP PC, Radeon 9200; running Suse 10 and a ProView 1600x1200 75Hz CRT monitor, it was detected like a charm.
BECAUSE: Suse came with a good control panel and features that, after a fresh install allows you to have a lot of undeteted resolutions, what took like in windows a couple of clicks on YaST is a nightmare on modern versions.

glad my LP2475w monitors are now autodetected but you have to admit not everyone use HDMI or DVI connectors, and have some issues that can be simply fixed, but no one cares, right?

>o you NEED to force a monitor unsupported resolutions that WILL damage it?
on LCD screens setting the natiive resolution or any resolution will not damage it. you're a complete moron trying to justify shit.

>Or cause eye fatigue/flickering?
now you're just trying too hard.

your arguments remains invalid. popular distros are not quality and knowledge of every linux command is always required, it will never be popular because of these simple things, even this thread is a waste of time for neurotypical people,
>>
I don't use linux anymore OP but i never had that issue. I had a big tv set up and it always displayed it fine
>>
>>51913877
well, in my case, it stopped getting the native screen res. after an apt-dist-upgrade. (xubuntu) and as OP. none of the xrandr add- 1920x1200 etc ever worked, so, back in windows.

it's good on laptop, and some prebuilts but for the rest, really,; use Windows.
linux is essentially good but its userbase is shit; and real issues remains not fixed. "just deal with 1366x768 hurp"
>>
>>51914099
It's not a security issue or anything serious, why should we care about one thing that happens to one person?
Enjoy your virus dumb fuck!
>>
>>51913868
>CRT
Oh God! Seriously? And you're like >2015?
>>
>>51912568
if you actually need help go to the stupid questions thread or the linux friendly thread, follow the rules, be polite and give useful information about your problem. Being passive-aggressive is not a good way to ask for help, it only makes you look as a fanboy desperate to show that linux is bad.
>>
>>51914174
OP here, not seeking help anymore, but laking a thread where people can actually expose things that will never be fixed. That's the idea. Myself I know linux quite well but couldn't help others on this problem. and I have the honesty to say "no, it is an issue and depeneds of how people are lucky with their matching hardware combination."

I love Linux, I use it everyday on this Thinkpad, and I want you guys to be honest:
There are major problems that prevents me, a guy who fix computers and upgrade a lot of laptops on Mint or Xubuntu, but sometimes it's not, because it lack of care for making things accessible and clear without the need for technical support.
And this, the community has no interest into making basic stuff like changing a screen's resolution a hell of infinite terminal commands that never works, because the "linux user" who wants to help will just consider you and them have the same computer. hence the
"works for me, i wonder what's wrong."

do you understand the point of this thread? we can aslo discuss Windows's issue and how crap the management of its fonts is, and never changed since 1993.
>>
>>51914303
>the community has no interest into making basic stuff like changing a screen's resolution
ok, who is the "community" you're talking about and who're you blaming for this problem exactly?

Have you already raised a bug in the tracker of the one you consider as responsible for this problem or you have a link to the bug report with the details?

if this has not been fixed, according to you, what can be done about this?

>because the "linux user" who wants to help will just consider you and them have the same computer.
As i said being passive-agressive is not a good way to ask for help, you was the one who made people to not want to help you. On top of that, you're labeling people in an unnecessary and stupid way.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.