[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
eBook reader advice ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: kindle.jpg (36 KB, 500x483) Image search: [Google]
kindle.jpg
36 KB, 500x483
Hi /g/!

I have a few euros to burn and I would like to get an ebook reader.

I am considering going for an used kindle.
I could get a Kindle paperwhite for ~45 euros.

What is your advice ?

I run GNU/Linux, so Linux compatibility is important.

Thanks!
>>
kindl4 or paper white wih duokan
>>
For that price, a Kindle is good. Just remember Kindles are bitches regarding files compatibility, you'll have to buy books for amazon or convert your epubs.
>>
>>51909262
Any non-Kindle device. Kindles doesn't respect your freedom and the Amazon bookstore uses nasty DRM.
>>
>>51909428

To what format should I convert my ebooks ?
>>
Kindle paperwhite is pretty good I hear
>>
>>51909457
Amazon's proprietary format. As >>51909447
said, if you care about your freedom pick a Kobo or any other device. Better control about what you can read, no nasty DRM, fight Amazon.
If you just want to read with a cheap device, pick the Kindle.
>>
I had a Kobo WiFi, just randomly decided to break in my drawer.
Half the screen is stuck.

Decided to just get a small Android tablet to replace it.
>>
>>51909496

I am pretty much convinced.

I see I can take off the back conver on the Kobo and replace the micro-sd card inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4d2UM833KM says I should "clone" the card with the OS on it.

So maybe it's hackable someway.

I think I'll go with a Kobo Touch 2.0
>>
>>51909496

Question: does the Kobo have integrated dictionary? Can I lookup words I do not know on the ereader itself? Can I add foreign dictionaries ?

Thanks a lot!!
>>
>>51909262

OP here.

I am convinced for the Kobo touch 2.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KByb0HAkU-o

Thanks a lot guys!!
>>
I'm from >>51909455, can I ask for help too?
I'd like to buy a Kobo. I don't really care about waterproof devices, so I'm thinking about dodging the Kobo H2O and buying an old Aura HD instead: it's much cheaper, and I can't see many differences between the two things. Am I doing this right?
>>
Kobo is best
>>
>>51909760

You might want to look for comparisons on youtube.

I found them very helpful in making my mind.

I'll go for a Kobo Touch 2.0, probably new, because it has all of the features i need, it's more "open" than kindle and buying it new gives me warrany.
>>
>>51909698
Overpriced. Your Paperwhite (for 45€) is way better. The Glo HD is also a good choice, plus the latest PocketBook (Touch Lux 3 if I'm not wrong).

>>51909760
Glo HD, it's obviously the best kobo ereader. And the support will be long enough.
>>
>linux compatability is important
Well the kobos run linux.
>>51909698
Don't go for one without a backlight. I know it's e-ink and you don't need a backlight, but it's either have a backlight or you need to always be somewhere well illuminated.
>>
>>51911310
It's not a backlight. The frontlight is one of the main arguments of e-readers companies and it's would be bad to continue with this misunderstanding.
>>
>>51911404
There's no difference on your eyes dude.
The 'badness' of illuminated screens is from the contrast of brightness between the screen and the background.
>>
>>51909262
i have a kobo of some flavor (weird ass angular back, backlight) got it for 90 dollars last year. works okay and has good backlight, but the screen has gotten a tad janky with age. makes me wish it came with physical buttons as well

the web browser worked and has massive file support
>>
>>51911452
I don't know if it's placebo or if the e-ink screen is what give you a different feeling over your LCD or Amoled one but this is not the issue here. A backlight isn't the same as a frontlight and that's what I wanted to correct.
>>
FFS Don't buy Kobo; they are becoming more and more like Amazon by the day:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268351

Current eReading masterrace:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PocketBook-840-eBook-reader-GB/dp/B00MBRRNVO
>>
>>51911270
Do you think mangas will look good on a 6" screen? I fear balloons will be unreadable.
>>
>>51911696
I tried, once, the read some hentai with my Kobo Aura. Sometimes I had to zoom a little or to change the way it's displayed but it was very acceptable (for single page scene only). A tablet (or a larger e-reader) will be a best choice for huge reading tough. Don't forget that an e-reader is mainly for pure text and not for mangas.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.