[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/SQT/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: sqt.jpg (104 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
sqt.jpg
104 KB, 900x675
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here ONCE and WAIT for a reply. DO NOT BUMP. You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Take at least 10 seconds to google first.

Read the sticky before posting: >>39894014 → (Cross-thread)

Redirect with >>>>/g/sqt and ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

Try >>>/g/flt for Linux related questions

Old thread >>51890641 at 300
>>
File: tree.jpg (36 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
tree.jpg
36 KB, 460x276
Does anyone know any tricks to hide textual information inside a picture.

Metadata. PhotoShop. Whatever.
>>
Why is there no partition sda4 on this system?
>>
This is my current monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-1708FP-17-Inch-Monitor/dp/B001P510CQ

I've been looking at these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2415H-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00M9B3XZW
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-E2414Hr-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00FE8MKTM

The latter's much cheaper, but I don't have enough experience with monitors to know if getting the more expensive one is better. The reviews make it sound incredible. Is it worth it?
>>
What am I doing wrong?
I'm currently learning C++ from a book and I'm at chapter 11 "Exceptions". The program just stops working:

main

try
{
double fraction;

fraction = division(12.0, 5.0);
cout << fraction << endl;

fraction = division(12.0, 0); // Exception
cout << fraction << endl;
}
catch (invalid_argument& e)
{
cout << endl << e.what() << endl;
}

return 0;

division(double numerator, double denominator)

if (denominator = 0)
{
invalid_argument e("Error: Division by zero");
throw e;
}

return numerator / denominator;

My IDE doesnt give me any errors or anything. I dont even get the first output (12/5)
>>
>>51902017
ok it's me again. I forgot an "=" in the if-statement. That's embarassing
>>
>>51901910
Is it possible it's a ghost drive with 0 bytes?

Open Run
> DISKPART
Terminal opens
> list disk
> select disk x
> list part
> delete part y

where x and y are ints
>>
What do you want for Christmas? My family does a gift exchange every year and I have no idea what to ask for. The limit is $50
>>
>>51902091
I will try that, thanks.
>>
Which version of Windows would be the best for gaming?
>>
I'm trying to install windows but after I choose a hard drive it states "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition"

I've already tried to make a partition and reboot via
>DiskPart
>select disk 0
>clean
>create partition primary align=1024
>format fs=ntfs
>assign
>active
>>
I have a mix of windows and linux computers on my local network, what's the best filesharing/sync tool that works cross platform? right now I"m leaning towards lanshark or dlan but I"m open to suggestions
>>
As a small side-present for my mother, I want her to be able to use her laptop and not have any issues. The laptop is 1 year old, but fresh out the box. What are some things I can do to help out in this regard?

I'm assuming Updating all the Drivers, and uninstalling the bloatware will be a start but I wanted to know if there was anything extra I could do?

I'm not the most tech-savvy person, but I'm sure if pointed to a guide or something, I could easily trial and error my way into safety. Or something.

What would /g/ do to make it safe for others to browse how they please?
>>
>>51901782
anyone wanna explore bunch of .pngs that might have hidden data in them?

>>61081341
>>
>>51902476
oh fuck my shitty life

>>>/mu/61081341
>>
Hello, /g/entlemen.

In the last two days I have been b& twice because I'm seen as an exit node/VPN. Of course I have neither. Any idea what could be going on? Recently xfinity wifi forces its way in and switches me from my home wifi to its wifi. Is this why? I switch it back as soon as I notice but am a little worried to say the least.

Thank you.
>>
>>51901782
How can I select a specific frame in mpv? And also display some informations about the video I am playing (like the frame I'm at).
>>
>>51901885
create your message in Notepad or a similar program, and save your message in TXT format. Now it’s time to have some fun. Open Command Prompt, and type in the following:

copy “<image file path>” + “<text file path>” “<new image path>”
>>
>>51902870
pedo spotted
>>
>>51901782
I'm helping a /pol/ friend, feel free to just respond with links to shit I can send him.

Here's his question:
"Lets say an islamic extremist doesn't like the content of my site, can he find my home?"
>>
>>51902346
try

>diskpart
>select disk 0
>convert mbr
>create partition primary
>format fs=ntfs
>assign
>active
>>
what's a good download manager for chrome that's comparable to downthemall?
>>
What's the best way to archive a thread? Using YChan currently, and I don't like that it doesn't have a progress bar. Plus side is that it can download threads that are currently alive.

I need a way to save threads that are alive and shows me the progress of the saving. CLI would be preferable.
>>
>>51901782
I have Debian machine without access to internet. Currently, my only way of downloading packages is using another machine to get the .deb files from the Debian repository site and then transfer them to the offline computer.
Thing is, having to download each dependency for each package at a time is an arduous process. I can't download the Debian DVD isos, can't buy them, and can't install any specialized software on the machine with online access.

Anyone has a better idea than what I'm currently doing?
>>
File: mystery.png (1 MB, 1172x814) Image search: [Google]
mystery.png
1 MB, 1172x814
>>51901782
In Firefox I want to set a new tab URL, but none of the extensions work simply like the original about:config option.

I want my custom new tab page to be pre-loaded as it used to be, and for the focus to be highlighted on the URL bar, again as it used to be. I can't figure this out for the life of me.
>>
>>51902975
any particular reason it's not connected? and please don't tell me
>muh airgap
>>
>>51902132
50$ worth of big bags of peanut mnms
>>
>>51902999
The thing is located in an area without any sort of internet coverage. Still, I need that computer there and I need to install several things on it because reasons.
>>
Anything fun I can do with a laptop screen or is it junk?
>>
>>51903054
while probably not the ideal solution, I would probably just take out the hdd, move it to the connected machine, boot from said hdd, and install everything I want, then move it back to the other pc
>>
R9 380 4gb too much for FX 8320?
>>
>>51903241
no
>>
>>51903082
You can watch ur reflection while you masterb8
>>
what's the equivalent of noscript for opera?
>>
any suggestions for a (cheap) silent air cpu cooler? my current one (arctic freezer 7 rev2) is decent but it's the loudest thing in my case and it pisses me off
>>
Is 144Hz just a meme? Or is it actually worth the money? I guess the only game I'd be able to use it in, and the only game I'd want it to make a difference is CS:GO. Seems too much of an ask just to play one game. Is it worth buying for just normal desktop browsing and shitposting?

I also don't know whether I should get a 24" or 27" monitor. The jump up in price between the two is quite significant. Would you say a 27" gives an equally significant jump up in quality and satisfaction to justify the price? I'd like to watch films on it and play some games.

Also

Stick with Windows 7 or install Windows 10?
I've got a bootable USB drive here with all versions of Windows ready to install, just waiting for my SSD to arrive tomorrow morning and my PC will be complete. Obviously it's torrented so I guess I could just give Windows 10 a try for a while, see how I feel, then reinstall windows 7 later.
>>
Best site crawler for windows?
>>
>>51903420

I've never tried a 120 or 144 Hz monitor but I also play CS on my shitty 60 Hz and I would kill for a 144 Hz monitor. Just getting rid of the dancing tear lines would be worth it but even beyond that, 60 Hz is noticeable limiting in a game like CS. As far as 24 vs 27 inch goes they're both the same resolution and 24 is more than fine for gaming and overall desktop computing. Unless you like watching movies on it or play games from a distance (using a gamepad) I don't see the value in a 27 inch. If you're in demand for screen real estate because you're a coder/web designer/graphic artist, you're better off getting multiple monitors.
>>
My new cheap ass modem won't let me log into it, the connection just times out everytime. I've done all the basic shit I'm used to doing when this sort of thing happens but now I'm out of ideas and need help. The router is a D-link DCM 301
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 800x450
Fell asleep with my phone on and when I woke up several hours later, the battery temp was 60°c and damn near lit my hand on fire. Is that a dangerous temp for a phone battery to run at as far as for the health of the phone and is it common when only clover and the browser are open?
>>
>>51903593
Maybe they do have his hard drive, and he's flaunting the power supply as proof they ripped his computer apart

Also 60C is nothing you pussy. Phones can do 80C easy without damage
>>
>>51903420
1080p = 24"
1440p = 27"
>>
>>51903420
Higher resolution is better

27" is more ideal
>>
>>51903439
pls help
>>
I have a lenovo t420 and was wondering if any of the 12.7 ultrabays would work. im looking to get one for an ssd. and also what ssd would work in one of those.
>>
>>51901910
Primary partitions are numbered 1-4. Logical partitions start at 5. You have 3 primary partitions, of which sda3 is a container for logical partitions. If you created another primary partition, it would be sda4.
>>
>>51903891
Make your own with beautifulsoup
>>
How come cocaine is illegal when caffeine isn't and is basically the same thing?
>>
>>51902887
I googled his question and copied pasted from a makeueof article, you retard
>>
>Have DSL
>Keep getting connection dropouts (1-2s every few minutes)
>Play a game while pinging google.com
>Connection in game drops the second I drop a packet
>Replace my Modem, Router, DSL Filters, all cables
>Hook directly into the router, still dropping
>Try with other devices
>Still nothing
>Call tech support
>Spend 4 hours on the phone
>Tell me its on my end and i need to buy a new router from them
>Tell them my router is new
>Tells me he will do some work and call me back tomorrow (Today)
>Calls me
>Asks if the problem is resolved
>Tell him no
>Tells me he is looking into something
>Hangs up
>This is the THIRD time this has happened

My blood is boiling. What the fuck do I do now? Is there ANYTHING on my end that could be causing this? Because tomorrow I am going full fucking scorched earth on my ISP. They are the ONLY non Satellite internet in my area.
>>
>>51904118
Most people consume caffeine in forms that are not very concentrated and thus have very low danger of many harmful side effects, also it's not really all that addictive long-term. (You might feel withdrawal symptoms for a few days if you go from consuming it regularly to not at all, but it passes quickly and is relatively mild.)
>>
>>51904158
where do you live?
>>
File: 1450315007499.png (18 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
1450315007499.png
18 KB, 1360x768
How can I get every tilda instance to have it's own distinct title in the title bar? I know there is a "title" option in the Preferences and I've been tweakin' like crazy, but the fuckin' thing doesn't do shit. Any help?
>>
>>51904181
Pennsylvania. Like Central Pennsylvania.

My options are
>Verizon Wireless
>Dish Network
>(Hue)ghsNet

That or I move 25minutes farther away from where I work (Which is where I will pick up a bunch of places)
>>
So, I'm running a Nvidia card now after a long time with ATI.
The driver doesn't come with an utility to show me the temperature and fan speed? WTF?
What do you recommend?
>>
Which distro would be easiest to use for a Win/Mac user that I can torrent in almost safety?
>>
Is it potentially harmful to shut off the power to my PC completely every night when I go to sleep? (As opposed to powering it down but leaving the power connection into the PSU live and letting a bit trickle in.) Will it wear out my CMOS battery faster or something?
>>
>>51904240
I use EVGA PrecisionX 16. Its on Steam if you want. Just don't leave it running or else you will clock 4300 hours into it like me and it will be stuck on our Most Played list.

Plus it has achievements which cause the Reviews/Forums are fucking hilarious because this will let you overclock your rig to whatever RETARDED thing you want, and won't even throw a warning, meaning retarded achievement hunters have nuked their fucking computers with it.
>>
>>51904270
No that's fine, but kinda pointless. It uses almost no power when turned off
>>
>>51901782
Can I power up a PC remotely or does shit like WoL only work from sleep?

I have my system in my room and leaving it on at night time lights up the room. I could fix this by covering the window sure but just in case someone here knows a better solution I thought I'd check.
>>
>>51904285
What about my CPU temperature and fans? I5 proc with asrock mobo
>>
>>51904389
A lot of systems allow you to power on over the network, check your BIOS options.
>>
I have a rampage V motherboard and two gtx 970s and i want to set them up for sli but when i put the bridge from my mother board to them it can not find them and i have a 3 way bridge and thought try it and even after all that it still does not work. i have checked bios and googled it but can not find a solution. can anyone help me?
>>
>>51901782
So I have an HDMI cable and I used it to connect my TV to the HDMI port on my graphics card so I could use it as a monitor. Unfortunately, my computer does not detect the display and when I set the source on my TV to HDMI it says there is no signal. Can anyone help with this?
>>
>>51904285
Just installed it, but didn't like it. It has too much shit and I just want a monitor for my GPU, CPU and fans
>>
>>51904200
Nice dubs, nigga. It has some shit to do with Xterm.
>>
>>51904616
>Nice dubs, nigga. It has some shit to do with Xterm.
So what then?
>>
Is there a prebuilt laptop that can play gta v and fallout 4 under a grand?
>>
I want to fuck with my friend when they open their christmas present.
I want to get a shit ton of boxes, and have one box inside the other.
Any good place I can order a bunch of boxes of increasing sizes?
I see plenty of places selling 10 boxes of size X, etc, but that's not that I want...
>>
Is it worth trying to sell my old monitor that died for parts? Also if I decide to do it how's the best way to package/ship it? Just wrap the whole thing in a shitload of bubble wrap and hope for the best?
>>
>>51904608
are you using windows?

try hitting the windows key and the p key. you'll get to make a selection so make it to duplicate or extend. that way windows should output from the video card

be sure to test on a different monitor with hdmi if still having problems
>>
File: 1428792812823.jpg (10 KB, 200x213) Image search: [Google]
1428792812823.jpg
10 KB, 200x213
When do companies release new laptop models?
>>
>>51904631
INSTALL GEN2
>>
>>51902277
7 or 10.

>>51902428
rsync.

>>51902462
antivirus & mbam with regular scan scheduled monthly, dont give her admin, dont turn off UAC, adblock for browser, install adobe flash and reader and set to autoupdate, teach her to look for checkboxes and read what they are for when installing stuff so she dont get bundled adware/spyware/bloatware (like when downloading adobe shit or updating java).

>>51902584
probably. call your ISP and ask how to make it stop switching your wifi.

>>51902909
if he is the one that registered the domain with his name, yes.
use an anonymous WHOIS service to hide your name. most websites that sell domains offer this already.

>>51903082
sell for spare parts or get something like raspi and hook it up.

>>51903321
did you try googling "noscript for opera" ?

>>51903420
144hz for FPS games and you will never want to go back to 60hz.
for everything else get a 1440p IPS monitor.

i'd give win10 a shot. remember to use the official activation tool from mydigitallife forums.

>>51903591
read the manual and make sure you are trying the correct IP.

>>51904240
msi afterburner

>>51904247
>distro
>win/mac
which fucking operating system are you looking for? linux? windows? mac?

>>51904536
which rampage V mobo exactly?
update bios?
does both graphics card work when you try one at a time?
is your power supply good enough?
have you plugged in all the power cables correctly from the psu to the graphics cards?

>>51904636
yeah many. anything with an i5 and 960m and up.

>>51904759
you didnt save the original box?
get a big cardboard/wellpap box, wrap monitor in some bubblewrap, cut box to fit and tape corners shut so it's a fairly solid rectangular box.

>>51904810
when a new CPU or mobile GPU comes out.
>>
>>51904835
Nah, the original box was huge and I didn't want it taking up space. I try to save boxes sometimes but before I know it my room is a pile of fucking packaging and I have to toss some of it.

I am buying a new monitor to replace it but the new one is 25" and the old one was 27" so I'm thinking it probably won't fit.
>>
How do I install GPU drivers for x200 using ubuntu
>>
>>51904835
Im the guy with a problem with his sli i have made sure my PSU works on both by having a monitor plugged into both al the startup and running of the machine and i have a rampage V extreme mobo.
>>
what kind of file compression programs do people on /g/ use?

i'm using webm for dummies and set the max to 2.9 to post on /gif/, but that's only like 5-15 seconds of video. i've seen people with much longer and high quality webms with smaller sizes, what are they using?
>>
i have 6 wifi adapters, i also have 4 browsers open, one bound to ethernet, one bound to wifi adapter #1, one bound to #2, and they all work fine independently with each of their own unique IPs. but how come the 3rd and beyond simply dont work, ever?
>>
File: wifitickets.png (16 KB, 1089x157) Image search: [Google]
wifitickets.png
16 KB, 1089x157
What the fuck is this guy trying to say? I don't know enough about networking to call him out, but it sounds like bullshit.
>>
Building a new computer this weekend but I didn't plan on buying an OS. I have a legit Windows 7 professional key that I am planning on upgrading.

Can I...
>Upgrade current computer to Windows 10 to get the W10 key
>Deactivate Windows 10 on my current
>Install Windows 10 on the new computer
>Reinstall Windows 7 on my current

I want to turn my current one into a media center/emulation box so I'd like to keep the Windows 7 functionality. I'd just put Linux on the media box as I am very comfortable using Linux but other people will be using it so I want to make it as foolproof/familiar as possible for them.

I'm going Windows 10 on the new rig for the improved multi-monitor support. I would primarily be using this one for gaming although I will probably setup a dual boot with CentOS for when I'm WFH.
>>
>>51904869
>keeping boxes in his room
that is what garages and attics are for, dude.

it might fit since boxes also have to be big enough to fit foam or something around the monitor.

>>51904904
you're retarded.

>>51904906
7zip.

webm4dummies is not a file compression program, it's a video converter.

try these parameters/arguments and enable 2pass encoding:
>-an -c:v libvpx -crf 32 -b:v 900K -threads 4

lower threads to 2 if you dont have a quad-core cpu.

>>51904979
trolling

>>51904988
im not sure but someone posted a screen from MS support and they said migrating win10 upgrade to a new system voids the license.

if i were you i'd just keep my win7 key and use it when you install your old pc as a media center box, and pirate win10 and use KMS or whatever from MDL forums
>>
>>51904988
I'm pretty sure upgrading to Win10 deactivates your 7 key. You wont be able to use the 10 key for 7, if that's what you're planning to do.

Just upgrade a "pirated" copy of 7 (get official iso, use daz loader). I did it without problems.
>>
>>51904835
Hey, Mr Smartguy, can you help me?

I'm this guy >>51904200
>>
>>51905050
correction about webm

>-an -c:v libvpx -crf 32 -b:v 900K -threads 4 -fs 3M

>>51905063
sorry i dont know linux
>>
>>51905050
>>51905059
Thanks, I think I'll go the upgraded pirate route
>>
>>51904904

What's your PSUs wattage?
Have you made sure each 970 works individually?

Use extreme outervision to calculate your wattages just in case.
Also check your BIOS/uefi version and update to the latest version.
Also make sure both GPUs are running the same clocks when trying to SLI.
>>
>>51905129
750 watts
Yes
they are fully updated
can you tell me a way to downgrade one of the gpus clocks?
thank you
>>
So new (and first) ssd is arriving tomorrow. I'm going to try w10 but lack an original key, so I thought of doing the following:
•Install a w7 ISO + daz
•install every upgrade
•upgrade to w10 immediately to obtain a legal key

Is this the safest/easiest way to do this or should I man up and pirate w10 directly?
>>
I wanted to go on Omegle but it seems all the stranger's video feeds are black, and they can't see me. Flash is not the issue.

I was told by pretty weak there are some ports I needed to open (namely 10000-10005, 40912, and 41000), but this doesn't seem to work. I think I got only one video conversation to work and then nothing else. Any ideas what might be going on? I wanna talk to turds from 4chan
>>
>>51905159

Get msi afterburner or some shit. Save a default profile.

Don't forget to test the downclocked card for artifacts or freezing, in that case you may need to tweak voltages.

Google SLI guides my friend.
>>
>>51905220
A faster method would be not installing every update in Win7 when you'll be upgrading to 10 anyway.
>>
File: man_thinking.jpg (54 KB, 613x574) Image search: [Google]
man_thinking.jpg
54 KB, 613x574
Is it true that an optical drive on a console, e.g. a PS2, gets fucked over time after reading pirate discs over the years? I mean is it less healthy for the optical drive to read a pirate disc than reading the original disc?

at first I thought it was one of those shitty stories kids said in highschool, but I've been seeing a few of those warnings on homebrew forums lately so that got me thinking.
>>
File: 1449961186356.jpg (108 KB, 780x500) Image search: [Google]
1449961186356.jpg
108 KB, 780x500
>>51904979
The only trackable thing wireless routers give to devices are IP addresses, and that's after they connect. DHCP does not work in that sense either. No there are no tickets, I bet a lot of people fell for this BS
>>
File: 1443146825053.gif (2 MB, 304x318) Image search: [Google]
1443146825053.gif
2 MB, 304x318
>>51905341
You're a special kind of retarded
>>
>>51905434
stupid questions stupid answers I guess.
>>
File: openit.jpg (10 KB, 500x226) Image search: [Google]
openit.jpg
10 KB, 500x226
how does this work?
>>
>>51905462
oh shit nvm it doesn't work anymore.
>>
>>51904835

>>51902462 here

Thanks for the advice, trying to do everything myself and not make it worse is hard enough as it is. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and troubleshoot as it comes along.
>>
>>51905341

Yes, pirated discs send evil electrons that damage your laser lens goy I mean guy.
>>
>>51905462
If it was red/blue before you uploaded it than it's because a thumbnail was added for that image that wasn't generated by the OS. 4chan strips exif data (where the thumbnail would be) and generates its own thumbnails.
>>
a while back there was an anime image recognition neural network posted on /g/ that recognized anime character names, does anyone have that?
>>
>>51905492
or you could install linux if all she does is facebook and shit.

>>51905577
iqdb.org ?
>>
If anyone is familiar with Discord, is direct message chat history stored forever? Or does it auto-delete after a set time? And is the DM chat stored on a server that you share with the other person, or outside of any server (the user-created servers obviously, I know it's on a real physical server somewhere)?
>>
Are people actually using IPFS?
>>
How do you deal with shit at work where you are just seriously not "on board" with the plan for a software project? I want to change the plan but everyone is already mad that i'm not contributing to their half baked idea
>>
Okay, so I need a good image viewer application

I kind of liked Irfan viewer and then I started looking for a way to make scroll zoom without holding down Ctrl rather than scrolling images and I came across their circlejerk forums so fuck that noise.

What imageviewer should I use?
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6288524
>>
File: 1450202756456.gif (3 MB, 341x270) Image search: [Google]
1450202756456.gif
3 MB, 341x270
I installed Mint under a dual boot. I have two hard drives, one OS for each. The other is Wangblows.

Next morning I turn on my PC and I'm stuck in the GNU GRUB menu which says "MInimal BASH-Like line editing is supported"

How do I get out of this?
>>
File: 1432113089309.png (189 KB, 500x531) Image search: [Google]
1432113089309.png
189 KB, 500x531
Built my first PC at the start of this year, since then a lot of dust has accumulated and it's hit me that I don't have any equipment to clean it with. What am I supposed to use?
>>
will the lifespan of my Korean monitor lessen if I overclock the refresh rate
>>
File: Capture+_2015-12-16-21-49-05.png (271 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2015-12-16-21-49-05.png
271 KB, 1440x2392
I can't figure out how to make this stop being on all the time with out shutting it off completely
>>
>>51905754
talk to your coworkers, you inept fucktard. or your boss.

>>51906083
you should have paid more attention during install which boot loader you picked.

>>51906156
canned air

>>51906157
yes

>>51906250
the GPS?
>>
>>51906156
You can just get some canned air, be sure to hold the fans so they don't spin when you're blowing on them.
>>
>>51902067
protip: do
if (0 == denominator)
instead so you don't get those kinds of errors.
if (0 = denominator) would give you a compiler error.
>>
>>51906272
Yes the GPS I should have specified
>>
I've got a spare ssd and no second system to put it in, what do
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (330 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
330 KB, 3000x1688
So I bought a refurbished t420 off of ebay and I've had it for a few months. Everything has been all cool and fine except these past few weeks.
I noticed it when i plugged in my laptop to charge and the battery icon blinked 3 times, stopped, blinked 3 more times, and then it disappeared. I opened it up to make sure it was charging and it wasn't just the light being weird.
But, sadly, it wasn't the light and it wasn't charging.
So i looked up what was happening on google and it said it was most likely the battery.
Sooooo, i went on ebay and bought a 9-cell t420 battery and popped it in my thinkpad and plugged it in to charge. Low-and-behold the battery light was steady and it was charging.

Well all was fine until about an hour later and i noticed it wasn't charging. So then I thought it was because i was plugging in the charger on a power-strip that was full.
So i plugged it into a strip that wasnt full and it still isnt charging.

Anyone had the same problem? I dont want to keep spending money on other items that end up not helping. Do i need a new laptop? Or just an adapter?
>>
>>51906291
not that guy but I actually leave the fans go "FMMMMMMM!!!" when I put the vaccum cleaner close to them. What are the cons of doing this?
>>
File: android-42-quick-settings-n.jpg (19 KB, 620x390) Image search: [Google]
android-42-quick-settings-n.jpg
19 KB, 620x390
>>51906599
raid0 with other SSD

>>51906603
could be the charge port

>>51906570
quick settings widget. these should also be available if you drag down the notification bar (top)
>>
>>51906659
how would i go about fixing the charging port?
>>
>>51906645
you wear out the bearings
>>
>>51906659
They're mis-matched sizes, and I don't have a raid controller. I've heard the windows raid is aids.
>>
File: 1306612871364.jpg (161 KB, 1061x601) Image search: [Google]
1306612871364.jpg
161 KB, 1061x601
What are a few /g/ approved programs for malware/virus protection.

Right now all I have is Microsoft Security Essential. I don't think that's enough.
>>
Are there any TVs that have a displayport adapter that aren't 4k? I would like to play some PC games on it but I don't want to be limited to 60hz with HDMI.
>>
>>51906674
either replace it completely or if you're lucky all you need is some glue and/or solder. google.
>>
>>51901782
>someone drew that shit image and was proud enough to sign it
>>
>>51906692
Common Sense 2016 beta is out already
>>
So in the near future, I'm getting to build my own PC for college purposes which include both academic and recreational reasons. For storage, I have picked a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. For one of my upcoming classes I need access to a Linux system, so I wanted to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Should I put both OS's on the SSD or just Windows? Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>51906727

Doesn't matter really.
>>
File: 1307373297933.jpg (139 KB, 300x490) Image search: [Google]
1307373297933.jpg
139 KB, 300x490
>>51906719
Sometimes things slip through the cracks man.

Better to be safe than sorry.
>>
>>51906645
The fans spinning can cause the motor that drives them to act as a generator, inducing a current and possibly damaging the fan/fan header.
>>
>>51906695
TV, or monitor?

if you mean monitor, have you tried searching "displayport monitor" on amazon? there are tons. I prolly misunderstood your question tho cuz I find it too stupid.
>>
>>51906727
Get 256 GB. I was really starting to run out of space on my 128 when I started dual booting.
>>
>>51906762
Michaelsoft Security Essentials is good enough.
>>
My PC can't recognize an android phone, which is a Galaxy Y Duos. The phone charges, but it won't show the USB connectivity icon. My computer can recognize my USB drives without any problems, so I guess it's on the smartphone's end? What can I do? Im on Win 7
>>
>>51906689
it should work anyway even if they're different size.
and most mobos have raid functionality. it's not limited to raid cards or windows software.

>>51906692
mbam

>>51906727
on the SSD if you want it to boot and load programs fast.

get a 2TB HDD, they're almost the same price and you get double the storage.

also intel, samsung or sandisk brand on the SSD i hope.

>>51906787
yeah it's worth it. prices have dropped quite a bit and you quickly use up 120GB.

>>51906784
>Are there any TVs
4th fucking word you blind fuck.

>>51906762
you should not have more than 1 active (real time) antivirus.
>>
I was thinking of buying a 980ti. In my country these cost 1k should i wait? Apparently there is something to do with DX12 on the horizon soon?
>>
>>51906787
>>51906747
Ubuntu would only get used whenever the class has a project, or just whenever I feel like messing with Linux. Given this, would it be more optimal to only have Windows on the SSD, and then set a partition on the HDD for Ubuntu?
>>
File: 1429022818076.gif (843 KB, 500x463) Image search: [Google]
1429022818076.gif
843 KB, 500x463
Firefox switching to GTK3 made it very inconvenient to save images to my 20600+ image folder, the wait is just too long.
What are some download managers for Firefox (can be 4chan specific) that won't choke on my image folder?
>>
Can you use an amd hraphics card with an intel processor?
>>
>>51906828
you have to select the right mode on the phone when you plug it in

>>51906842
dx12 = win10

it's fucking retarded asking us if it's worth buying, especially when you live in a different fucking country and the exchange rates on money and your country's cost of living makes it fucking impossible for us to even guess.
>>
>>51906843
If you don't plan on using Ubuntu all that much, just install in in a VM, such as VirtualBox. Make sure you install the guest additions so the mouse cursor is passed through and isn't shitty.
>>
Is there an android app that I can download on my tablet to play songs. If the song has a music video downloaded with it, it plays the music video, otherwise equalizer? I want to mount my tablet in my car and make it look cool idk
>>
>>51906883
I go in the "USB utilitary" options, and Connect memory to PC, and it gives me nothing. Says "USB connected, remove the cable" but its effect is like nothing, the phone is still charging yet I can't browse the smartphone's files and shit.

Also my PC keeps trying to recognize the USB device over and over and over
>>
>>51906883
As a general principally the prices just scale. GPU's don't just become randomly priced because it's a different country. My question amounts to is a 980ti cost effective at the moment or not, since it made be replaced relatively soon. I have a 760 (2gb) but i'm noticing more games running on medium/high instead of high/ultra. God damn.
>>
>>51906700
googled it and all i found is places to get it repaired for more than my laptop was worth.

Any other ideas?
>>
>>51906870
Yes.
>>
>>51906884
It will be used over the course of a semester, potentially more. For the upcoming semester for C++ programming. Would a virtual machine be sufficient for that?
>>
>>51906843
it would be exactly the same except faster on the ssd.

>>51906870
why the fuck would you not be able to?

>>51906884
this is good idea

>>51906918
try a different cable

>>51906930
YOU have to decide if the price is worth it for the performance. read benchmark reviews.

>>51906938
add search term like HOW TO or GUIDE or TUTORIAL.

>>51906966
more than enough. it would be a lot easier and less hassle once you dont need it any more either since you wont have to mess with the boot loader.
>>
Okay, I got a fast one.

I usually avoid YouTube video downloaders because they're either shit or they're malware.

But now, I find myself needing to take shit off to fuck with the video.

So I ask you a stupid and simple question- What is a decent YouTube downloader that won't rape my computer?
>>
>>51906834
>4th fucking word you blind fuck.

I was asking because I know people who call their monitors "TV"

in that case, no. Stick with 60hz or enable the shitty fake smooth 144hz conversion feature available on the smart TV's. retard.
>>
>>51907014
youtube-dl
>>
>>51907014
youtube-dl
>>
>>51907014
offliberty
>>
>>51907014
web service or browser addon?

>>51907027
im not the guy that asked about it, you retard.
>>
>>51906986
I'm asking for recommendations you fucking autist. I, unlike you, can acknowledge there might be things I've overlooked or don't understand, so I'm asking for advice. Fucking SQTs always attract these vapid "answer as many questions without answering anything" pseudo intellectual tossers trying to stroke their own ego. Go make yourself feel important elsewhere.
>>
>>51907014
Youtube-dl
It's command line but super easy to use.
youtube-dl -f best <url>

You can also check which streams exist on a video
youtube-dl -F <url>

and download + mux them together easily
youtube-dl -f 137+140 <url>

Works for more than just youtube too.
>>
>>51907049
whatever, faggot.
>>
>>51907051
320 kbps?
>>
android music player that has music video options?
>>
>>51907047
That actually works.

>>51907038
>>51907045
>>51907051
Thanks, guys.

I made a note for my linux machine, but I needed it for a windows machine.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with how long dd will take to zero a 500gb drive, and run a urand command as well? It is an SSD with a write speed of 600 MB/s last I checked.
>>
I'm going to be doing a new install of windows on my build, and I'd like to know if there are any recommended resources on automating system maintenance tasks, and what sort of schedule to use for them?
I'd rather not fuck up this box too much if I can help it.
>>
>>51907084
youtube-dl works for windows, it uses python.
>>
File: 54cd7877cbf11.gif (28 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
54cd7877cbf11.gif
28 KB, 360x360
>>51907051
>Works for more than just youtube too.
>>
>>51907103
?
>>
>>51901910
this guy is technically right >>51903931
technically sda5 & sda6 is sda4

extended partitons are primary partitions
logical partitons are in extended partitions

.. i think i got terms wrong.. to lazy to check

>>51907157
prons he is talking about prons
>>
>>51906986
doesnt look like i can find anything.
I can just take it to a computer repair shop.
I already ordered a docking station to prepare for the worst.
>>
>>51907092
windows has built in scheduling feature.

>virus scan
>MBAM scan
>disk cleaner
>registry clean
>defrag

some of these are already on by default (either through the program itself or through windows) so check that before you go around messing shit up.

also dont download a bunch of random fucking "system optimizing" or "maintenance" programs. they'll most likely fuck your shit up more than if you did nothing.

>>51907203
https://www.ifixit.com/
>>
File: face.jpg (56 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
face.jpg
56 KB, 960x540
>>51901782
I've got a 128 gig ADATA SX900 Solid State Drive hooked up to my laptop doing a backup right now.

A few hours ago it was pulling about 50 mb/s, now it's doing 8.8. It's really hot too.

Why?
>>
>>51907410
because non-sequential data and it's working a lot.
>>
>>51907410
>>51907438
or you are doing stuff while it's backing up.
>>
I want to create an NFC system that will log attendance to events on a Google Sheets documents. How could I go about doing this?
>>
Will simply having additional monitors/tv plugged into my graphics card cause it to use up more power even if the additional plugged in TV is turned off or not on the pc hdmi setting?
>>
Hey, anyone know what the hell is fsavailux.exe is or does? Goes thst ahit is killing my performance.
>>
how do i change the color of the blue panel highlight using xfce?
>>
>>51907699
forgot image
>>
>>51907600
no

>>51907665
google
>>
>>51907748
I did. The answer are thst it is a exe from the windows system and that I should download their program to do a registry check. This is repeated in 10 websites, and the one windows thread about it does say what it is or what is it doing.

Tl;dr: already searched google, otherwise I wouldn't be here.
>>
>>51907795
how 'bout you try what they say?
>>
>>51907868
Trying what they say does fuck all about my question about what the fuck is it and what does it do.

I don't want a fix, I want information regarding the nature of it. If you don't fucking know, please stop ordering me to do shit anyone with half a brain would do.
>>
>>51907921
>fsavailux.exe
I fucking googled it for you. It's one of those numerous autometed shit that windows has. It says it's a disc check utility. You can try turning it off from your task scheduler. But from my experience with Windows, especially 10, no amount of disabling or registry hacking will stop Windows from running automated shit. Ditch your botnet and use another OS.
>>
>>51907921
But why do you want to know what it does?
Just fix it, and it won't bother you anymore
>>
File: godammit.png (104 KB, 1919x935) Image search: [Google]
godammit.png
104 KB, 1919x935
Got some MySQL for you /g/

When I run this script:

USE music;

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS addHours;

DELIMITER //

CREATE PROCEDURE addHours
(
IN album_id_param INT,
IN hrs_added_param DECIMAL (65, 1)
)

BEGIN

DECLARE hrs_listened_param DECIMAL (65, 1);

SELECT hours_listened
INTO hrs_listened_param
FROM albums
WHERE album_id = album_id_param;

WHILE hours_listened < hrs_listened_param + hrs_added_param DO
UPDATE albums
SET hours_listened = hours_listened + 1.0;
END WHILE;

END //

CALL addHours(5, 50.0);

I get an error code 1054 saying it doesn't know what "hours_listened" is in the field list, even though I know it's spelled right and I know it's in the albums table. Pic very related, album table and all it's columns is in bottom right corner.
>>
File: compile.png (25 KB, 720x861) Image search: [Google]
compile.png
25 KB, 720x861
I just installed arch and I was fucking around with some simple c++ code. For some reason, g++ cant compile it, citing a linking error. Strange thing is it's correct syntax wise and all files are located in the same folder. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51908051
use the code tag...

>>51908089
post code just in case
>>
>>51908089
Post the code you fucking Arch user.
>>
>>51908089
You have to include all your .cpp files. Compile with the command
g++ main.cpp MyHeader.cpp
>>
>>51908132

Yea im fucking retarded. I did have to compile all .cpp files. Thanks.
>>
>>51906083
Sounds like grub didnt detect your kernel when it was installed. Use your install disc/usb to boot from, chroot over to your hdd linux install, run grub-mkconfig and make sure it detects your install.
>>
>>51908208
Sorry but I'm a Mint user and don't understand any of that command line stuff. Is there a .exe or a .deb that I can download to do that for me?
>>
>>51908112
>use the code tag...
I did smart one.
You know what? I already figured it out. I'm gonna post the solution to my own question that no one helped me with:

USE music;

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS addHours;

DELIMITER //

CREATE PROCEDURE addHours
(
IN album_id_param INT,
IN hrs_added_param DECIMAL (65, 1)
)

BEGIN

DECLARE hrs_update_variable DECIMAL (65, 1);
DECLARE hrs_lcv DECIMAL (65, 1);

SELECT hours_listened
INTO hrs_update_variable
FROM albums

SELECT hours_listened
INTO hrs_lcv
FROM albums

WHILE hrs_update_variable < hrs_lcv + hrs_added_param DO
SET hrs_update_variable = hrs_update_variable + 1.0;
UPDATE albums
SET hours_listened = hrs_update_variable;
END WHILE;

END //

CALL addHours(5, 50.0);
>>
>>51908241
Boot up some random linux livecd and do a update-grub
>>
I decided to stream some Black Desert closed beta for my friends earlier, and realized that my CPU (i7-4790k overclocked to 4.7) was hitting 86 degrees. I'm not sure how long it was up there, but my stream only lasted 20 minutes, so it was 20 minutes max. Was it long enough to do damage to the chip? I know the max was supposedly 92, but I'm uncomfortable with the thought of it even getting past 80
>>
What's the cheapest easiest way to get a modern version of Premiere Pro and After Effects without subscribing to CC? I dont have a warez-bb account, I don't have rapidgator, uploaded, etc premium accounts, I only find virus riddled downloads on usenet, and CS2 doesn't support the formats I need.
>>
>>51908257
not him &
no you didn't
>>
I have 10 years Java experience (started in high school and had a single Java job for a long time). I have no experience with any frameworks (EE, Spring), only core Java. Can I still find a job? If so, what kind?
>>
>>51908289
no it's fine. tho it might be good idea to upgrade the cooler if you want to keep that OC.

>>51908316
kat.cr
>>
>>51908316
Get a torrent client (qbitorrent) and go on thepiratebay.la or kat.cr
>>
>>51901782
is unity a de
>>
>>51908435
Yeah, my liquid cooler should be here soon. Thanks for the reply. I was worried I had toasted it. I'm still fairly new to the overclocking scene, and had never seen it hit that high, even in benchmarks.
>>
File: capturee.png (126 KB, 1170x875) Image search: [Google]
capturee.png
126 KB, 1170x875
Looking for help with my video cards.

Here's my build - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nyF9FT

I've had the 7950's for about a year and a half now, and they're giving me nothing but problems. Constant overheating with idle temps at 65C, and crossfiring & overclocking are iffy at best. It's a struggle to run games like Far Cry 4, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, etc. And the drivers, holy shit the drivers. Crimson has done nothing but screw up my system even more, with crimson causing artifacting and other issues, and the UI is just terrible. I love waiting 4 months for new drivers, only to find out they still suck.
I've got a 144hz monitor, but only really give a shit about 144hz in CSGO, so all I'm looking for is a video card that can support 60+fps / 1080p (1440p in a year or so) , and can handle dual monitors, but gaming only on one of them.
My budget is ~$375, but can go higher / lower depending on what's out there. I've mainly been looking at the 970's, but is the 970 4GB, better than my current cards, even with all their problems? I'm not picky on Radeon or Nvidia, just looking for the best bang for my buck at the moment. I'm sure I'm excluding / missing some important details, so if I do, just let me know if I am.

If need be I can post Speccy / GPUZ / anything else if more info is required.

Thanks -
>>
>>51908456
Yes, unity is a desktop environment used by default on ubuntu. There's also a proprietary game engine called unity
>>
why are there so many TV shows with titles like "The _____"
>>
>>51908506
You don't need a video card, most CPUs come with an integrated GPU these days
>>
>>51908523
its ugly, why do people hate it, is arch better than ubuntu, is mac better than loonoox, why do ppl use loonoox
>>
Computer shuts off randomly. Used to be very infrequent, now it's become a problem. Checking out my ram, I'm noticing one stick now won't stay in. Seems to be the slot, the lite bits that secure it in don't seem to fit around it. Why might this be?
>>
>>51908542
>integrated GPU
I miss a memo?
When was it acceptable to recommend an integrated GPU?
>>
File: maigub.jpg (256 KB, 813x599) Image search: [Google]
maigub.jpg
256 KB, 813x599
Can I squeeze anymore out of my GPU for the upcoming newer games at better-than-low settings are is it time for an upgrade?
>>
>>51908567
You mean those little latchy things on either side that secure the RAM in place? I dunno, check with a flashlight for any obstructions in the slot that might be preventing it from going in. See if a different stick will fit in the slot, maybe that stick is broken or deformed somehow. All else fails jsut try running the computer without a stick in that slot at all and see if things seem more stable, likely the slot is busted.

Though random shutdowns can be other things too, a bad PSU for example.
>>
>>51908506

970 is head-over-heels better than your current config. Should take you to 60fps/1080p for the next few years or so, but probably not on high/ultra settings. Might also wanna look into 290x, more vram (970 only has access to 3.5gb), but some people say it's slightly slower.

>>51908542
He needs a vid card if he wants to play video games.
>>
>>51908506
>>51908602
or a 390 if you cant find a 290.

>>51908576
when the second gen i5/i7 (2xxx) came out but only if it's for extremely light gaming and facebook

>>51908593
check benchmark reviews for the card
>>
>>51905446
fair
>>
File: 144997219112.jpg (515 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
144997219112.jpg
515 KB, 768x1024
A few minutes ago one of my hard drives suddenly dissapeared for no reason on W7. Shat my pants since its where I have all my important shit and I have no backup. Turned it off (it took 5 mins to turn off, I didnt want to fuck it further), and then on again and its back, other than a corrupt vm that was running everything seems fine.

Any idea what could have caused it?
Anything I should look for in the event viewer?
Other than chkdsk what can I do to ensure integrity?
>>
This is a good question but bear with me a bit long.

Had video file .mkv that was corrupt on ext hdd. Kept restarting at a certain point. Got the md5. Redownloaded from same exact link. New download has different md5. I delete corrupt one off external drive and copy new one over to external drive. Now new copy has same EXACT md5 of old shit .mkv.

I am certain I recopied the brand new download. Old .mkv is gone.

Anyone ever experienced this? Even if it was bad ram or bad hdd would what is the likeliness the md5 ends up the same? Somewhere in the copy the same bits are being changed. Can it possibly be explorer?
>>
>>51908692

Is it external?

How many times has this happened?
>>
>>51908597
I'm becoming worried it may be the psu after some cursory Google searches as well.

I did check a while ago with ago light to search for obstructions, and there are none. Maybe in the joints of the fasteners on the slot. Hmm.

I've been noticing in the task manager that the percentage of physical memory usage is very high, pretty much double what it should be for my four (lol) gigs of ram. Computer only seems to shut down when doing something memory intensive. Gonna clean out all my dust thoroughly tomorrow, hopefully that will help. I've had dust problems before.
>>
I have a laptop running off vgasave as the graphics card died, no integrated graphics. Is there any way to allocate system RAM to act as a crutch or is it kill?
>>
>>51908692
>Any idea what could have caused it?
normal wear and tear. low temp.
>Other than chkdsk what can I do to ensure integrity?
manufacturer diagnostics tool.

>>51908694
you fucked up and removed the wrong file.
there is no way it can get the same MD5 as the old corrupt file.

>>51908719
reseat all ram and run memtest.
>>
>>51908716
No, it's internal.

It's the first time.

>>51908758
>low temp
You mean high? But I just checked smart data and it hasnt gone over 50 ever.
>>
How do I get multiple dmenu scripts installed on arch?
Currently have j4-dmenu-extended, but like to add some scripts from the script thread.
>>
>>51908758

If I actually posted a youtube video of me doing this and it shows I didn't idiotically take the old md5 and think it was the newly downloaded file, what would you think the error to be caused by?
>>
>>51908795
Then show the video anon
>>
>>51908786

How long have you had this drive?

When was the last time you read or wrote to it before it turned off?

Scan pc for malware?
>>
>>51908839

I'm at work now but just out of curiosity if you saw it yourself what would you theorize could be the cause? It was strange to me too but i seen it. Definitely will do it again tomorrow and if it happens will capture it.
>>
>>51908845
why would you want to see more penises? just because you CAN do something doesn't make it desirable
>>
>>51908786
>You mean high?
no. temp below 40 can actually cause more damage.

>>51908795
the only way you can get the same md5 is if your system somehow managed to put it on the exact same place on the drive that has a damaged sector.

and the odds for that are astronomical. you fucking up however is very likely.

>>51908845
not tech related. >>>/tv/
>>
>>51908845

Mens penises would probably lose viewers for shows and even whole channels. People with kids would probably block it.
>>
File: BdWo7g9.gif (2 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
BdWo7g9.gif
2 MB, 444x250
>>51908880
>>51908885
dont answer non-tech
>>
>>51908842
About 2 years.

When I was working on the vm. Actually I went downstairs to eat something and when I went back it was gone, so I dont know how it happened or if it made a noise. Its nearly full btw, only 2gb left of 500.

Im going to scan it as soon as I backup it, I have some spare drives lying around full of chinese cartoons.

What is the latest /g/ approved malware scanner? Still malwarebytes?

>>51908881
>temp below 40 can actually causd more damage.
I didnt know that but wouldnt be surprised considering metal expands-contract as it get hots or cold.
>>
>>51908880
I dunno when I was watching Oz and saw that they actually had the male actor take a piss into a bucket in the nude I was pretty impressed. It shows dedication, you know?
>>
>>51908948

The VM? Was using it? I know vms sometimes diconnect usb devices from the host in order to use them are you sure the internal didn't get disconnected by the virtual machine?
>>
>>51908975
Yes, it was using it since it was running on the drive that disapeared (I have ssd for os and programs and mechanical for everything else). I dont know if it was the vm that disconnected it, how can I know?
>>
>>51908904
>wingsofredemption
almost as big of a sperg as cvpi
>>
>>51909028

Is the vm os installed sonewhere on the drive? Or is it simply storig some files there like a shared drive?

Next time the drive dissappears check disk management to see f it's still ptesent and windows sees it but like it's missig a drive letter or something. If the vm is installed on the drive and th drive dissappears but the os doesn't crash then he vm still has access to the drive.

Malwatebytes is pretty much the best solution still.
>>
If a monitor is supposedly factory calibrated does that included stuff like gamma/brightness/contrast or just the colors?
>>
File: 4chinshert.jpg (9 KB, 225x294) Image search: [Google]
4chinshert.jpg
9 KB, 225x294
ES File explorer android

hey im trying to find this app eslock cause i cant aford it and it opens encrypted files

is there any other way i can decrypt es file explorer files without it?

i have nudes just forgot password for them
>>
>>51909081

Look on blackmart
>>
I wanted to save money by not upgrading my PSU for my next build. It's been in use at least five years and still running fine. How stupid is this and how likely is an eventual PSU failure to damage other parts of the PC?
Antec EA650
>>
What kind of stuff actually gets uploaded to Art of Misdirection anyway? Is it more of a forum than an actual torrent tracker? I mean I guess you could upload videos of how to do magic tricks but not sure if it warrants a whole tracker for that.
>>
>>51909081
weird, my ES File Explorer encrypts and decrypts folders just fine.
>>
>>51909056
Its installed on the drive so I doubt it was that what made it dissapear because the guest froze too. Didnt have time to check disk management out of panic but so far it seems its just a windows error. Thanks for the tips anon.
>>
>>51909064
a little bit of all, but it's usually shit.

>>51909123
you should be good as long as you have the right cables or can use enough molex adapters

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=110
>>
>>51909125
>>>/g/tracker
>>
Asking again:

I just bought an Asus H170 board for my locked i5 processor. A mistake? Should I have gotten a Z170 instead?

Asking because you can overclock locked CPUs now, using certain boards.
>>
Can anyone give me a brief rundown of why I arbitrarily get low framerates sometimes? For example, I was playing the game Vindictus and my GPU never reached past 40% usage and my CPU was around 20%, but the framerate was still was fluctuating a ton and the highest I got was around 45.
I can play MGSV at a solid 60fps, why wouldn't I be able to play a much worse looking game like that as well?
>>
>>51901782
Throwing a hail mary here...

I just recently decided to move from an ATX mid tower to a mini ITX build. I bought a GA-Z97N-WIFI and a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX. PSU is a Seasonic X-850, CPU is an i5-4690k, GPU is a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290. All parts except the motherboard and case are old, they worked together in a previous build. However, after putting it all together, it doesn't work. No fans spinning, no lights, no sounds, nothing. I've tested voltages on the case switch pins and the PSU on and power ok pins on the ATX 24 pin connector, everything looks good, I pulled the board out with everything connected to see if it was shorting with the case, it still didn't work. Normally I would assume this was a DOA motherboard, but I just sent back a different board for the same reason and I've never had a problem with Gigabyte. Does anyone have any insights that might help?
>>
Can running Automatic Repair (or some bootrec commands) from a Windows 10 recovery drive fix boot problems after moving a Windows boot partition left with GParted?

I want to get rid of my Linux partition (figured out how to get a VM set up perfectly so I can ditch my dual-boot) and move/resize shit so I have more space.
>>
>>51909885
install gentoo
>>
Does anyone have the picture of the corsair air 540 that is outside and is in the place of an air conditioner?
>>
>>51909443
nah. Z-mobo would be useless anyway since the cpu is locked.

you should have gotten an i5-K (unlocked) and a Z170 motherboard.

>Asking because you can overclock locked CPUs now, using certain boards.
you have always been able to do that, but you also have to OC the mobo and ram.

>>51909523
screenshot game video settings would help, but vsync comes to mind.

>>51909885
unplug EVERYTHING except cpu and ONE ram stick, use onboard mobo graphics.
reseat CPU and RAM and check for dust on the pins.
reconnect mobo cablels.

>>51909907
yes. google fixmbr (fix master boot record).
>>
Hi /g/,
Last week my computer kept getting blue screens. Each one, after I restarted, was a 1033 error, which I've associated with GPU drivers. I updated my GPU drivers and hoped the issue would be fixed, however the computer again blue screened. It did this several times that day and the following days. Each error, when one was presented, had to do with drivers when I looked them up online. They were things like SYSTEM_MEMROY_FAULT and a few others that I can't recall. In addition to that, the computer would just randomly restart (with a brief flash of bluescreen) and then want to be booted in safe mode.
However, after rebooting, it would sometimes not find my OS (windows 7) at all and just hang on a black screen after the BIOS screen popped up. So I'd restart, and it would work fine for a time. I managed to back up all of my important files and figured if it was a driver issue, a clean format -> reinstall would fix it. It didn't. The issues appeared almost immediately again after reinstallation. So I figured it must have been a GPU issue, and I replaced my GPU with an older one. The computer didn't last 5 minutes on the new one before it froze again.
So, I restarted one more time, and it froze after the bios screen. Restarted again and my computer automatically went into the bios setup screen and hung there too.
What is going on? Is my motherboard busted? First, I thought it was GPU issue, it wasn't. I then thought it was a hard drive issue, because the drive would just stop reading and freeze. Now I think it's a motherboard issue, becaus my computer has begun to hang even on the BIOS screen. How do I tell which component is giving the issue? I've run a memtest and it returned all results fine. Is it time to just call it quits and buy new parts?
>>
>>51901782
Is there a camera app for Android that's comparable to the lumia camera app? Manual focus, shutter speed, etc.
Google camera actually makes my pictures look worse.
>>
>>51902346
>>51902911
So after trying that kind anon's advice, I'm still no closer to installing windows. Does anyone else have any advice?
>>
>>51909955
I'm on GPT and EFI senpai, pretty sure fixmbr won't do shit. It looks like
bootrec /rebuildbcd
is what I'm looking for, among some other potential commands.

I'll try doing this whole thing once my backup is finished.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.