[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my external hard drive just took a fall. Roughly 3 feet and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1449685827949s.jpg (4 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1449685827949s.jpg
4 KB, 250x242
So my external hard drive just took a fall. Roughly 3 feet and onto carpet.

It's not mounting and it's making a beeping noise every second. Not the click of death.

I jimmied it slightly up against my ear and the insides seem to be intact so this leads me to believe that a head is simply stuck on the platter.

That seems to be the most likely explanation just from what I've heard about the specific noise and the fact that the fall wasn't exactly big enough for a head to bend.

But this is also obviously mechanically the most fixable. So idk. I need sobriety. This data loss won't be the death of me but I really, really would like to save it. And no I'm not going to pay somebody 1k for something I can likely do myself.

Anyone have any clue as to the likelihood that this is what I think it is?

I know once I dismantle it it probably won't be able to be recovered even professionally.
>>
>>51898019
bump
>>
>>51898019
If the head is seized on the platter, will shaking it to release the head completely destroy all the data?

I've heard stories of people shaking the head off and the drive working for just enough time to transfer data.
>>
restore from backup and fuck off
>>
Put it in the freezer for a while, that will expand the platter, then jiggle it for a bit and let it warm up to room temperature.
>>
>>51900040
It doesn't even start up do you just not even know what a seized head means? You fucking newfag gtfo my /g/.

>>51900074
Freezing contracts not expands. I thought that was only for malfunctions caused by overheating?

This thing dropped. Not sure if it was active or not when it did so it could either be a stiction or a seized spindle.

From what I've gleaned from resources the beeping sound seems to indicate it's the latter, though idk it seems like practically all of these data recovery websites are only trying to sell themselves.
>>
>>51900644
>He doesn't have a backup
>>
>>51903028
not him but what does windows backup backup? I just manually dragged all my important files onto my external HDD. Should I use windows backup for this though?
>>
>>51900016
doubt it bruh, it'll probably make things worse, on the bright side it might just be a fucked up connector or an issue with the enclosure, so you might take it apart, hook the drive into yo machine and see if it works
>>
>>51898019
he ded
>>
if the disk is actually getting power but not spinning, and there is head damage, its fucked. you wont be able to do anything personally to get the data off you will need to pay someone big bucks, but you will probably be able to get something.

the only thing you can do is take it out of the enclosure and just hope the enclosure itself is broken. if the disk doesnt work directly plugged into the computer and you want your data back, call someone. otherwise just buy a new one, shit happens

some enclosures do some like encryption shit or something weird where the drive will not work without it, in which case just buy a new drive and kiss the data goodbye
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.