[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Distro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: linux.jpg (214 KB, 998x679) Image search: [Google]
linux.jpg
214 KB, 998x679
>fond of hotkeys if it helps efficiency(use VIM when programming for example)
>don't care to spend half a year customizing everything, want shit to more or less work out the box and I can tweak from there
>stability is important
>most time spent on a regular browser, in matlab, text editor or ide
>have a quadro graphics card and believe support for this is wonky?
Help me pick a distro, realized I barely have any need for Windows anymore. Used to use Linux Mint back in version 14 or someshit, was an easy transition from Windows but not sure if I want to go back (felt bit bloated at times).
First impression of Ubuntu has been "what the fuck who thought this was a good idea", but duno didn't give it a proper shot
>>
>>51875115
xubuntu
>>
File: 1304376955940.png (844 KB, 2300x2540) Image search: [Google]
1304376955940.png
844 KB, 2300x2540
>>51875115
>>don't care to spend half a year customizing everything, want shit to more or less work out the box and I can tweak from there
>>stability is important
Debian minimal
>>
windows + autohotkey
>>
Ubuntu des the job
>>
>>51875115
fedora
>>
>>51875219
fuck off
>>
>>51875115
Mint
Debian ( "Bloat-free")
Fedora ( "Bloat-free")
OpenSUSE ( "Bloat-free")
Ubuntu Gnome

I'm using mint but next time i'm formatting this shit i'll switch to debian/again Fedora.(I heard 23 is slick). the broken packages on mint/ubuntu really piss me off.

Do the switch already and ditch windows, you'll change few distros till you accomodate / curiosity.
>>
try Ubuntu with a different desktop environment. I use Ubuntu gnome, but also have versions with xfce and others. Or just debian stable with old and stable software
>>
>>51875115
DEBIAN
E
B
I
A
N
>>
Hack thé wordl kali ofs thé best
>>
>>51875566
>Debian stable
>not testing
if yo are not on a sever, why?
>>
openSUSE tumbleweed
>>
OP here, thanks. Will spend a day trying a few then, even giving Ubuntu another shot
>>
>>51876863
I have no idea what he means by "stable is important". Your home desktop can probably handle the odd error now and then, but could be he needed something more stable since he mentioned it.
>>
>>51878587
Might have overstated it, was more to rule out suggestions with half of its shit in testing as I really don't give a shit about being that leading edge. The occasional error I can live with
>>
>>51878587
but debian testing is just as stable as regular *buntu. debian stable might still be a good choice for him if he really can't afford any error/bug.
>>
>>51875115
Windows
>>
>>51878704
>stability is important
>>
debian + i3 wm
>>
>>51878779
>Not openbox + tint2
>>
>>51875115

BunsenLabs

Light, shortcut crazy, and debian based so rock solid. Also, apt is best package manager.

Fight me, pacmanfags
>>
>>51875115
You can get fucking Arch running exactly how you want in an afternoon. Pick any distro with an "easier" install and you're good to go.
>>
>>51875115
https://getfedora.org/
>>
>>51879753
>Arch exactly how you want in an afternoon
>meanwhile autists spend months getting it 'just right'
>>
Debian Senpai, the only reason not to use Debian is systemd and if you're not looking to put in a lot of time systemd is pretty much a necessity. Slackware, CentOS, and gentoo are the only other good distros. Fedora and arch are also good for testing new packages.
>>
What difference does it even make to the average user other than DE?
>>
>>51880641
debian has an option to install without systemd.
https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd
>>
Out of curiosity, what do you get from using Arch? People say "more customization" but customization in terms of what?
>>
>>51881053
just like any other minimal distro, you choose the packages you want to use.
>>
>>51875128
Back to your seat grandpa. Ubuntu MATE is the answer.
>>
>>51875250
get out.
>>
>>51878621
Debian Testing user here. It's rock solid and has more software compatibility than Stable.
>>
>>51882402
same, debian testing is the perfect desktop OS for me.
>>
Elementary OS, best one out of the box for appearance and stability.
>>
>>51882471
Just buy a mac m8. That's all eOS is for
>>
>>51882368
>talks about grandpas
>literally uses Grandpa: the DE
ok
>>
>>51882547
>Spend a shit load of money just to use an OS
nah
>>
>>51882568
XFCE is a pointless DE pretty much since it was conceived. Gnome was superior until version 3, and now MATE is.
>>
>>51882655
Whatever gives you an erection, grandpa
>>
>>51882689
come have a taste son.
>>
Mint Cinnamon is the way to go desu
>>
>>51875115
Use Ubuntu MATE. It has the look and feel of Gnome 2 before it was dramatically changed. Works well on older hardware, too.
>>
>>51875115
xubuntu
>>
>>51882383
Fedora is a good distro and might also be suitable in this case, you cûck
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.