[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are multiple monitors a sign of bad window management? I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: ballmer-angry.jpg (29 KB, 600x443) Image search: [Google]
ballmer-angry.jpg
29 KB, 600x443
Are multiple monitors a sign of bad window management? I mean you can't focus on both screens at the same time anyway.
>>
>>51865156
Yes. When you ask them why they can't just open to windows side by side they get upset and call you poor.
>>
>>51865156
It's convenient to be able to glance at a side monitor when playing games
>>
>>51865156
>>51865348
I can't hear you over the sound of four windows stacked side by side on two monitors
>>
>>51865348
My IDE is awkward as hell to use without full screening it (or close to it), and I like to have a browser open with information open.

I'll admit that part of it is simply websites assuming you'll be full screen, as well as my IDE doing the same, but, I find that it's hard to get by with just a single monitor.
>>
>>51865437
You can have the documentation on a 2nd virtual desktop and switch back and forth quickly
>>
>>51865390
No wonder. You are probably very confused. How many are 4chan page's faggot?
>>51865386
Low attention span. I'm sure your time is very important. Just don't tell me you do that when watching a film.
>>
>>51865509
>Low attention span.
You're retarded. It's for the strats during gameplay.
>>
Yeah, 1 high res monitor is enough unless you're some kind of ADHD NEET that needs to shitpost while watching anime. But then, where do you think we are?
>>
>>51865632
You can just as well switch to a 2nd virtual desktop.
>>
>>51865156
Potentially

I just like having all that screen real estate so I can monitor/do multiple things at once. I realize I could easy just use different workspaces, but I don't like doing that, making it a preference.
>>
>>51865663
You can also alt+tab, what's your point?

The idea behind a second monitor is so that you never lose control of the window containing the game.
>>
>>51865632
Gaymer. I'm meant to now or care about this shit?
>>
>>51865763
That's entirely up to you.
>>
>>51865156
I don't have a multiple monitor setup but i wish i did. It's very useful for gaming, you can have comms, statistics, guides, etc open on one and have a real time video on the other.

its also very useful for work, you can have a textbook or manual open on one monitor while full work space on the other.
>>
>>51865798
Whats it like having light beaming into the side of your face as you are trying to play a game? I bet its fun.
>>
>>51865156

But I put stuff on the side screen so I dont have to focus on it anon. Also I like to click shit there without minimizing whatever I have on main.
>>
>>51865865
I keep the lights on when I play games because my keyboard doesn't have a backlight. The ambient light from a monitor doesn't really matter in that case.
>>
>>51865899
>without minimizing whatever I have on main.
Just keep it on a 2nd virtual desktop, no minimizing necessary
>>
>>51865899
>bad window management
>Also I like to click shit there without minimizing whatever I have on main.
If you don't want to focus then minimize the window.
>>
File: 144957335435.jpg (47 KB, 700x464) Image search: [Google]
144957335435.jpg
47 KB, 700x464
I work a lot with Revit and AutoCAD open at the same time and there are a lot of scenarios where i need to switch between them a lot for example when setting up wall functional layers.
Other than that I use them to watch esports while shitposting on /vg/
>>
>>51865156
there is a case to be made to not have to press anything to look at a different workspace but I personally find that turning your head back and forth all the time gets more annoying than just pressing the keys
>>
>>51865865
I have my lights on cuz I am not an autistic Gothic Virgin retard ~
>>
>>51865156
Are high resolutions a sign of bad window management? I mean you can't focus on all pixels at one time anyway.
>>
using anything but a laptop is retarded
>>
>>51865156
>writing scripts for my window manager in sublime on first monitor
>tile music player, man page and terminal window for actually running the script on second window

When you have good window management then a second monitor is just an added bonus.

Of course this could be solved by virtual desktops, which I use also, but meh. I have the monitors around, literally what is to lose?
>>
I have 4 monitors at work and 2 at home. At work it's because I have to monitor a lot of little real-time graphs and charts and I like the convenience of being able to just glance over now and then. At home its one big main monitor for gaming or projects and a little monitor for documentation or anything I might want to refer to quickly. Could I squeeze everything together better? Sure, but with monitors being so cheap nowadays I don't see any downside to having a multi-monitor setup.
>>
Main monitor, one for the vm, one for docs, and the big TV for when I want to TV.
>>
worth the price
its nice to gaym and see music on the other screen
>>
Are you fishing for someone to admit the lack of virtual monitors in Windows 7?
>>
File: FullSizeRender (1).jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51865156

They're a sign of getting shit done.
>>
At work we have dual monitor setups and it's very useful as we work with CAE in general. Being able to glance at a schematic or datasheet while routing a PCB is so much better with two monitors.
>>
>>51865509
had a 2 monitor setup a while back, currently on single monitor one of the things i would use it for is game capture or tutorial, i like having my main game fill up a screen and i had the second to monitor that everything was being exported/recorded how i wanted it to.
also chat page
>>
>>51865156
It's a sign of someone who has enabled themselves to drag/drop things between windows without fucking around with window sizes or focus each time.
>>
File: ballmer32.gif (1 MB, 269x200) Image search: [Google]
ballmer32.gif
1 MB, 269x200
>>
>>51865156
>muh 5k monitors

fuck off
>>
>>51865156
It depends on how you use it.

If I'm working on a document, I can have the reference information in the second monitor to quickly look back and forth between while I write.

If I'm working on a remote host, I can have the SSH session or any forwarded X applications on the second monitor.

If I'm working on a VM, I can have it on the second monitor.

>>51865348
Or I could just use multiple monitors and not have to sacrifice screen real estate for some contrarian autistic reason. Only 21:9 monitors are truly good for side-by-side multitasking on a single display, especially in an age where most applications are designed by plebeians for plebeians who only run one application at a time.
>>
File: a'shawn.jpg (61 KB, 620x523) Image search: [Google]
a'shawn.jpg
61 KB, 620x523
>>51865156
>not having a dedicated monitor just for Tweetdeck
>>
>>51865156
at work i have email and fun tabs on my left monitor, network monitoring site and possibly some documentation on far right monitor and whatever i'm working on primarily at the moment in the center. i can also game on one of the monitors and keep the other two on "work".
>>
>>51865463

Which is incredibly shitty to use in practice
>>
>>51865156
Yes, unless you're poor and need more screen real-estate and get some free Craigslist monitors instead of buying one big one like you should. Literally the only reason I'd need another monitor is for when games like to be cunts and dick up when alt+tab-ing, and that has nothing to do with work.
>>
>>51872946
this desu

Secondary monitors are just that: Secondary.
I have a dual monitor setup at work, and triple monitors at home, and I never try to focus on all monitors at the same time. Primary monitor is directly in front of my keyboard/mouse, and the others are there for information at a glance.

Nothing beats being able to put things you don't focus on but still want readily available on secondary monitors.
>>
I use a dual monitor setup at work. I use i3 and typically have 2 or more terminals open on my main coding screen and I have a browser open on my other screen for reading docs etc so I don't have to flick between things.

It's not necessary but it makes things easier, and I am absolutely more productive as a result.
>>
>>51865156

One screen for the IDE
One screen for the doc and taking notes.

I worked on one screen for a long time and it's rly fucking shitty
>>
I have dual monitors for my desktop, one for use, one dedicated for media, but total I have three monitors because I also have a monitor for my workstation at the same desk
>>
>>51872185
>Using twitter
Nigger please.
>>
>>51865156
i use two. one for reading and the other for writing. especially handy when it comes to making lengthy quotations.
>>
With good window management, you still can't have 2 things be full screen.
>>
>>51867888
>there is a case to be made to not have to press anything to look at a different workspace but I personally find that turning your head back and forth all the time gets more annoying than just pressing the keys
There is also a case to be made to not having to have two screens for different workspaces but I personally find that having to push keys all the time gets more annoying than just turning my head

>ITT: my way is better than your way
>>
>>51871406
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHCRimwRGLs
jesus christ
>>
OP must be a NEET

I use 3 monitors at work

Left monitor: terminals
Middle monitor: IDE/Text editor depending on what I'm working on
Right monitor: email, documents, web browser

Anything less than this and my productivity goes down quite a bit
>>
>you can't focus
do you mean YOU can't focus? because I sure can.
>>
>>51869550
>They're a sign of getting shit done.
>>51875816

Linus Torvalds only needs one monitor.
>>
It's useful when you actually have a job.
>>
>>51865940
Why do you need see you keys?
You dont hunt and peck do you?
>>
>>51869252
>Are you fishing for someone to admit the lack of virtual monitors in Windows 7?
Partially
>>
I don't need to. I have a large 4k monitor and windows 10 snapping.
>>
>>51877524
That's because Linus doesn't get anything done
>>
File: 1438630932773.gif (995 KB, 257x194) Image search: [Google]
1438630932773.gif
995 KB, 257x194
I work in a shitty call centre job for an ISP and even we get 2 monitors.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.