[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>want to learn programming >take computer science >have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: 1450029603452.gif (2 MB, 206x223) Image search: [Google]
1450029603452.gif
2 MB, 206x223
>want to learn programming
>take computer science
>have to learn some shit about a big o and some faggot called dikstra and his shitty algorithm
>mfw I fell for the CS joke
>>
>>51863950
>calling Dijkstra a faggot
kankerhomo detected
>>
>wants to learn programming
>doesn't want to learn big O notation or algorithms

Quit while you're ahead
>>
>>51864026
Web design bruh
>>
>>51864039
Web Design is a shitty area.
Better be a Front End Developer, which all the non-shitty non-lazy Web Designers go. FrontPage and Dreaweaver aren't paying that good anymore
>>
>>51863950
Switch to your arts school and learn web design. No math, no algorithms, no graph theory, no computer science at all really. Just code and pretty colors.
>>
I dont understand why most schools only offer cs instead of software/computer engineer. My large fancy state school only offers ece pure ce or cs. CS doesnt teach you shit about how to actually design programs and all it can really teach you is to reinvent the wheel when it comes to compilers, data storage, and algorithms
>>
>>51864184
I weep for the future.
>>
>>51864090
I do agree, but it's the good alternative for someone who will assuredly never learn big O or get a girl to have one.
>>
>>51864184
Good schools do. Crappy, "we only offer this because the dean told us we need to" schools don't, and neither do stuck up "our professors have been teaching the same curriculum since 1994 and since they have tenure we're not going to see the slightest change from now until the sun goes nova" institutions.

If you can find a university that offers Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Electrical Engineering all as distinct majors, you're probably good.
>>
>self taught programming
>start out with C
>quickly get sick of writing algorithms myself and memory managment
>become a web developer instead
>>
>>51863950
You should have gone into SE if you wanted to program

>>51864026
But also, being good with data structures and algorithms is a must if you don't want to be yet another worthless code monkey.
>>
>>51864184
I reinvented the wheel at all my jobs
>>
>>51863950
Daily reminder that CS is not a course in programming. Please don't study CS for the purpose of being programmer.
>>
>>51864090
>Web Design is a shitty area.
>Better be a Front End Developer
There's a distinction? I was under the impression that the dreamweaver folks all either became or were replaced by javascript monkeys.

When I say "web design", I mean learning human-computer interaction and interface design; learning the unconscious cues that people rely on to use your site without having to think about using it; learning how to apply color, shapes, and arrangement to achieve a goal. As part of that, you learn how to implement those ideas in Javascript and HTML, and probably some flavor of the month stuff like Meteor, Angular, SASS, etc.
>>
>>51864361
What should i study then?
>>
>>51864404
Go study a programming course.
>>
>>51863950
>gif
faggot I know for a fact that the original was a webm.
>>
>>51864226
He's right though.
CS is terrible for programming
>>
>>51864404
Go into SE.
>>
>>51864184
>>51864268
What is the difference between Computer and Software engineering?
>>
>>51864440
I convert all my webums to jiffs for improved interoperability
>>
>>51864527
SE isn't a programming degree either.

SE is mainly process/architecture/documentation/management

Yes the degree may feature some programming classes. Should share similar course to CS but still.
>>
>>51864581
Dude, the whole purpose of SE is all about programming. I don't understand why you believe that process design, architecture design, system documentation and project management are not programming. Do you mean to say that the strict typing of code into text editor is only programming?
>>
>>51864440
true, first uploaded on imgur, which uses gifv (webm)
>>
>>51864563
They're similar.
One is not easier than the other, both are just as theory-heavy.
>>
>>51864610
Learn2industry m8

The people who design and architect systems and programs are not the same people who write them unless you work for a very small company or are self employed.

That task is delegated to US or offshore code monkeys.
>>
If all you want to do is write code, you might as well move to India and become a code monkey nigger programming for curry.
>>
>>51864724
What's this new India maymay.
>>
>>51864644
Just because some people are dedicated to designing the system doesn't imply it's not a programming task.
>>
>>51864724
code monkey are shit programmers. Someone who is good won't have to worry about being outsourced by indians.
>>
>>51863950
What game is this?
>>
>>51864771
rocket league, it's on steam
>>
>>51864741
>/g/ making fun of Indians in technology
>new
>>
>>51864771
Gas the kikes simulator
>>
>>51864771
besiege
>>
>>51864767
If all you're doing is writing code, you're replaceable by some faggot in a 3rd world country. The hard part of programming is planning architecture. If you're not doing that, you might as well be a code monkey.
>>
>>51864800
got a virus downloading this piece of shit fuck you anon
>>
File: implosion.webm (1 MB, 680x384) Image search: [Google]
implosion.webm
1 MB, 680x384
>>51864771

Besiege
>>
>>51863950
>There's actually people unironically thinking that
Taking the bait just it case.
Learn your damn math, programming is easy as fuck, everyone can write code, and learning a new language is a matter of days.
Not everyone can write a compiler, an OS or the next compression format though, and good luck implementing those without a good understanding of algorithm in general.
>>
I want to leave college with a good understanding of programming and computers in general. I've taken 3 years of US compsci, but we only fiddled with learning Java and applying compsci to it as much as possible.

I want to be able to work with programming but still learn other things.
I also want a major that's relevant in the workplace after college.

What major should I study?
>>
>>51864300
>self taught programming
Bruh, nobody gives a damn if some two-bit wannabe deludes himself into thinking he knows the serious shit.
>>
>>51866131
That's not US compsci. That's just your dead-end college.
>>
>>51863950
fucking retard
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.