[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it the most misunderstood language of our generation? It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: js.png (10 KB, 1052x1052) Image search: [Google]
js.png
10 KB, 1052x1052
Is it the most misunderstood language of our generation?

It combines a lot of extremely powerful features of both functional and object-oriented programming.
>>
>>51855369
/g/ hates what it does not understand.
>>
>>51855369
it's basically C for the web

>lines end with semi-colons
>if statements
>for and while loops
>>
>>51855490
>lines end with semi-colons
Except they don't have to.

And you can write javascript like you write lisp if you feel like it, and then switch back to writing like C when it's convenient, and then also switch to OO.
>>
>>51855369
And yet lack very basic and fundamental functions and features that are an essence to every other useful language. 10 hours are not enough to make a language that is not totally crap.
>>
>>51855490
It's basically COBOL for the web.
>>
>>51855555
nice digits senpai
>>
>>51855528
It has more utilities available for it than almost any other programming language, though. It's like python, but faster, better syntax, and even more modules.
>>
File: available NPM modules.png (73 KB, 1230x837) Image search: [Google]
available NPM modules.png
73 KB, 1230x837
>>51855605
Shit, forgot the picture
>>
>>51855516
please tell me you don't rely on automatic semicolon insertion

>>51855369
there are too many pitfalls
It requires a lot of discipline to write decent code
>>
>>51855663
It works fine for me. It gives the syntax this really light and airy feeling.

I've never had problems with it.
>>
It's basically Scheme for the web
>>
});
});
});
});
});
>>
>>51855369
No

Everyone understands that it's terrible, except for web developers (but they're a pack of madmen anyway).
>>
>>51855731
>not using promises to turn callbacks into synchronous code that can yield to other code execution between pauses
>>
No, it's a shit language and isn't nearly as object-oriented as a hardcore OOP language like Python.
>>
>>51855691
I just died a little on the inside. You're actually serious, aren't you?
>>
File: 1415590731008.jpg (40 KB, 720x427) Image search: [Google]
1415590731008.jpg
40 KB, 720x427
>>51855789
>hardcore OOP

>>51855710
this
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.