[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My prof is having us learn Perl. Is it a waste of time? Everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 315x160) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 315x160
My prof is having us learn Perl. Is it a waste of time? Everything I Google when looking for help comes up with questions from 2001/2002. Do people still use Perl? Is python superior?
>>
>Is it a waste of time?
Yes
>Do people still use Perl?
No.
>Is python superior?
No.

If you're not learning C/C++/C#, you're wasting your time. Learning fad languages like Python is only worth the time after you've learned the Big Three C languages and you need it (python) for some shit coding gig.
>>
>>51852756
Without knowing history's advancements you cannot make tomorrows inventions a reality
>>
this better be a fucking troll.
>>
>>51852792
>Learning fad languages like Python is only worth the time after you've learned the Big Three C languages and you need it (python) for some shit coding gig.
This, you learn bad programming habits from learning python first.
>>
>>51852792
Learned C++, perl is our scripting language.
>>
>>51852820
This is somewhat acceptable. Perl is still very much outdated and useless, though, there are tons of scripting languages that are vastly superior.
>>
>>51852756
Interned for amazon over the summer and I can confirm that there is still a lot of perl code out there. New systems are built on ruby because rails.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-13-22-52-30.png (366 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-13-22-52-30.png
366 KB, 1440x2560
>>51852809

>Not a troll.
>>
>>51852847
I asked why we were learning it, he said "because Perl is free"

wtf?
>>
>>51852880
No i meant the fact that you question perl's relevance. Perl is a swiss army knife of a language buddy. Please tell me you at least see the value of regex
>>
>>51852861

January I get to learn to use and implement CGI in my web admin class.
>>
>>51852880
>whitesmiths style
>explicitly dereferencing subs
>using parens for unambiguous function calls

2/10 shit perl
>>
it's outdated but not completely dead. I wouldn't learn it if I didn't need to, but it sounds like you need to, so just suck it up and learn it. though first ask your professor if you can use python or whatever else.
learning it shouldn't be a big deal/total waste of time if you're like any competent programmer and can pick up a new language easily.
>>
>>51852756
Perl's good to know somewhat in case you ever have to work with legacy systems.

>>51852927
>implying most popular languages don't have regex support
>>
Perl is still widely used, just not for hipster bullshit.
>>
PERL was decent to learn about 7 years ago. now, PHP has 90% online server-side language marketshare and even PHP is kind of losing an edge. it isnt horrible to learn PERL tho its a simple language
>>
>>51852880

Your professor is restarted. The '&' convention for calling subroutines stopped being standard back in 2005 - the modern convention is to just use sub_call() style.

>>51853695
This guy knows.

If you build a time machine or want to work at booking.com then go ahead and learn perl, there is literally no other reason to.
>>
>>51852792
>If you're not learning C/C++/C#, you're wasting your time
>C#
Okay Pajeet
>>
>>51852756
If you're doing web stuff like everyone ITT is, then not useful, but should be easy if you know any programming.
If you're going to possibly go to a job that has an older system in place, it will probably have some perl in it. So learn it and, again, its easy if you know code at all.
>>
>>51852756
Better question: Why does 4chan not use Fortran?
>>
>>51852756
One of my coworkers has a bunch of Perl scripts that basically do his job for him. From what I've seen of his scripts it seems like a good language for lazy people who would rather spend two hours writing a script than spend one hour doing something they think is boring.

I'm probably going to learn Perl now.
>>
>>51852792
This * 500
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.