[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to get a job in IT/Network/Systems Administration?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: burning-man-article.jpg (79 KB, 300x430) Image search: [Google]
burning-man-article.jpg
79 KB, 300x430
What's the best way to get a job in IT/Network/Systems Administration? Is there a degree I should get ?
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>51850038
haha no matter how many times i've heard that joke i still laugh.
>>51849909
idk man but if you have to ask theres no point you'll just end up dropping out anyways.
>>
get the certs from Cisco and apply for a job, if you don't know how to do the work required for the certs then study on your own or take a Computer Systems/Network Technician course
>>
what an ugly fuck
>>
>>51849909
IT/Network/System administration is a worthless joke of a job.
>>
Get certifications and study on your own.

If you want a degree then System Administration or a 2 year IT course is fine as well.
>>
>Be a "IT/Netowrk/System Admin" Student
>learn trivial bits of python/bash then brag about it to your peers
>various "hello world" qualifies your statement of being able to program in 10+ programming languages
>get Cisco certs brag about how hard those are
>don't ever talk to people outside of the field and then brag about it by saying "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
>complain about ever operating system and distro besides your own, then make excuses on why its better than all the other equally shit ones
>No one knows what you do, some how you are convinced that is a good thing
>claim to be a 'professional googler' to quell the anxiety of barely knowing anything
>be convinced you competent at security
>all people you are payed to help are stupid and should know an obscure peace of information that years of being a nerd has taught you
>they where assholes for even asking
>>
>>51850372

its what i do and i get 110k year.

can work from home whenever i want, 1 month time off per year, and get to concept new tech and systems.
>>
>>51850363
Fuck you cunt
>>
>>51851956

where'd you get your qualifications? just certs?
>>
File: 1379437565517.jpg (46 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1379437565517.jpg
46 KB, 400x400
>>51850372

Eh, I worked from IT bitchboy to Sysadmin to Manager, it's not nearly as worthless. That said, I did study CS, and I often wonder if the grass would be greener doing software engineering.

>>51852773
>>51849909

I think that it's good to have a tech or hard sci degree. God knows that there's plenty of libarts and non-tech guys who end up in IT just by self-study and luck, but if you want to break in and have no connections, there's a serious advantage. Not to mention it looks great when you're skipping to other shops to get a pay raise (because God knows you won't be sticking around a place for more than 3 years if you want money).

As for certs, it's a question of what you want to do. A+ is a joke. CCNA is still a standard for networking. Net+/Security+ are still required in some entry level positions, even though you'll learn more in a few months than a cert would teach you. MCSE/MCSA certs might be valuable if you're interested in a Windows shop and want to Sysadmin. RCHE is excellent to have if you want Linux. There's also some boutique certs for big data, forensics, virtualization, etc.

My recommendation, if you're interested in the future, is...

> Learn as much as you can about automation with servers and clients. This means learning the basics of software distribution and package delivery (SCCM might be a good place, if you want to work with Windows).
> This also means picking up scripting experience.
> Specialize in a certain field. Security is a bubble, but it's got a way better outlook than, say, sticking it out in client support. Storage and "cloud" is a big deal. Virtualization, too, especially for those with hardware experience.
> At first, try your damndest to find a shop that is IT-specific or consults on IT. If you can't, then make sure to make that your second job and use your first as a stepping-stone.
> No matter what your job, hoard the FUCK out of their documentation, and absorb from your betters.
>>
>>51853464
How do I become IT bitchboy
>>
i need entry level shit

why is A+ $293 for 801 and another $293 for 802 ?

http://www.comptiastore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=A_BDL_DLX

Aren't the tests $194 so basically you're paying for the test and $100 for the online course? $100 doesn't seem too bad for online course.

What does /g/ think?
>>
>>51853556
I don't have an A+ cert but it sounds like horse shit. Pay to get this cert and then have it expire in 3 years? Fuck that

Also heard they test you on irrelevant shit like questions about DOS... Maybe you will find a company still on DOS but that's very unlikely
>>
>>51853556
>online course
I have yet to run into one of these that is actually good
>>
>>51853669

Once you get hired and have experience I doubt future employers will give a shit if it's expired.

>>51853721

They designed the test so the online course they design as well can't be that useless.
>>
File: 5UC6h2D.png (464 KB, 797x540) Image search: [Google]
5UC6h2D.png
464 KB, 797x540
>>51853528

Well, that's the fucking rub, right? How do?

Here's some options:

> Know a guy who knows a guy (networking w/people).

Self-explanatory. You're asking someone to vouch for you not being a suck. That's basically having friends or family who will allow you to try. The best way, albeit based on luck. Better brush up on hiding your autism!

> Entry-level helpdesk

Once regarded as the gold standard for bitchwork, it's now such a crapshoot that most IT guys can't honestly recommend it. Unless it's, again, in a shop that specializes in IT work or consulting. You will probably be in a call center, or possibly working with office clients, in overstressed and underpaid positions to do a "jack-of-all-trades" job. Still, most people I know end up in these jobs by applying to dozens of them with at least a couple certs and lucking out in the interview.

> IT Consulting

Small teams working on core support for a much larger group, or providing consulting to various businesses - big and small. Sometimes involves sales, if you are more extroverted and plan to deal in the business aspects of IT. Typically requires experience and multiple certs in a certain area, or being a newly-degreed grad who will travel and work hellish hours to businesses you hope to never see again.

> Client Support (Corporate)

Honestly, no one I know gets into these without some luck, youth, a degree, and dealing with the rubbish automated application systems. Unsolicited apps tend to get shot down unless you have exact skills or an H1-B. Try job fairs with a tailored suit and some liberal application of soap, you dirty neckbearded fuck.

> Client Support (Small business)

Mostly ceded to consulting companies or the boss's geeky nephew, but sometimes a full-timer might be necessary. Mostly word of mouth, unfortunately, but you can always try looking on Craigslist or your local listings. Certs may or may not be necessary, depending on the needs of the biz.

(1/2)
>>
File: 6p2kwil.gif (161 KB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
6p2kwil.gif
161 KB, 400x286
>>51853992

(2/2)

Okay, but what else can you actionably do?

You need to show people that you have done tech things in the past, or at least have an aptitude for similar "tech-y" things. Check LinkedIn with a dummy account and see descriptions of others who have similar experience and skill-sets. Have a GitHub if you're doing scripting. Get certs in an area you're interested in. Got school projects that pertain to the job? May be a good idea to put those down.

All in all, HAVE SOMETHING TO SHOW A BUSINESS. Stocking cat food at Kroger and inseminating bulls for the summer, we could give a fuck about. BUT, tell me that you un-fucked some serious problem with a Kroger accountant's machine, or created database queries to help calculate routing of bull semen, and that'll get attention.

Ask people to look over your resume.

Don't dress in all-black button-down and black jeans in an interview, you goth fuck. Learn how to wear a suit and basic business wear.

Learn how to properly troubleshoot. If I ask you, "I've got a CIO who handed you his Lenovo and he's got a presentation in 5 minutes and he says, 'Powerpoint's not coming up,' what do you do?", have a good idea of what you would do - in a systematic order - to troubleshoot.

Those are a few ideas.
>>
>>51849909
cs or it
>>
>>51849909
Start at a help desk if you didn't get an internship or had previous IT job experience
Get a couple of years experience then start applying to companies for the highest job you are qualified for and if you see an opening, even if you aren't totally qualified, apply for it
Make a list of all the places that want you and weigh all the cons and pros of working there, wages are important but not everything (I would gladly work for 10k less a year if the job was more enjoyable)
You are going to learn there are 2 types of tech jobs, one where you work your ass off and one that is essentially a dead end and you will be stuck upper middle class but you get to goof off all day at work
>>
>>51854061
>>51853992
ty bud

I think I'll just find someone to blow
>>
>>51853992
>Entry-level helpdesk
>most people I know end up in these jobs by applying to dozens of them with at least a couple certs and lucking out in the interview

Wait what, you need to have a couple certs, apply for dozens of jobs, and luck out to actually be hired for a *helpdesk job* these days?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.