[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm an ubuntubabby about to install arch onto a laptop for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: the_arch_way.png (117 KB, 1465x1007) Image search: [Google]
the_arch_way.png
117 KB, 1465x1007
I'm an ubuntubabby about to install arch onto a laptop for the first time, anything to keep in mind? what should i expect?
are there any 'must have' packages?
>>
>>51838797
If you think you have trouble reading, install it into a VM first. Otherwise just install whatever DE/WM you want.
>>
Don't install Arch. Use Debian first.
>>
Read the fucking wiki for the love of god read the wiki

>>51838979
also do this.
I know you want to rice and have a super l33t desktop so you can post in desktop threads, but Arch is not new user friendly, you have to install everything from scratch so read the fucking wiki.
Here's a pastebin of my personal dual-boot of windows and arch if you want an idea of what you're in for.

http://pastebin.com/ydkGnfqh
>>
fuck. I went downstairs to get my phone while it was downloading base packages and now the screens gone black
>>
>>51839243
move your mouse, it should turn back on.
>>
File: 1448523240135.png (28 KB, 383x400) Image search: [Google]
1448523240135.png
28 KB, 383x400
>>51838797

I doubt you're responsible for maintaining a server or anything like that so don't take it too seriously. so long as you back up your important bits and take your time you'll be fine. you'll learn alot too, following the wiki through an install is basically intro to linux.
ive had arch where I want it and ive been booting into it for the past 2 weeks. ufw, vim, urxvt, i3/openbox, thunar, firefox, keepass, feh, yaourt, dropbox and infinality are what I go for first. i dont even know what to do anymore lmao it's been rice and setup since then.
>>
I could never understand the perspective of this image, like, is he sitting on a roof or something?
>>
>>51839274
mouse didnt work but keyboard keys did
>>
File: 1448473389072.png (129 KB, 1360x1392) Image search: [Google]
1448473389072.png
129 KB, 1360x1392
>>51839342
arch hat obviously
>>
>>51839005
4 days into Linux using arch I had a working desktop environment that was riced to my liking with all of my programs installed. Prior experience was apt-get update gcc in Ubuntu.

Took me 4 days to get super comfy in Linux. i3 is a little new to me so I can't get my programs sorted exactly the way I want with minimal button presses but I always get it where I want.

I don't get why everybody says it's super hard. Maybe if you don't try and search anything up.

Install arch, install xorg dependencies, install de/Wm, edit xinitrc, then install Firefox and continue searching up the rest of your journey until you have it down.

Protip: take notes to further cement commands and processes into your brain. Refer to them instead of full guides.
>>
>>51839495

I second the notes. also helps to document your install this way.
>>
File: 1449531355362.jpg (96 KB, 567x600) Image search: [Google]
1449531355362.jpg
96 KB, 567x600
YES IT WORKED, AND IT FIXED MY GRUB2 NOT DETECTING WINDOWS XP PARTITION. SCREW YOU CYNICS
>>
>>51839495
dont forget power management configuration to stop your HDD spinning up and down like a twat, composite managing to stop the screen tearing, font configuration, and rfkill for when your proprietary network card is softblocked by default
>>
>>51839640
nice, anon. welcome to freedom
>>
>>51839643
Does a composite manager really stop screen tearing? I'm using proprietary Nvidia drivers for my gtx 980. I was memeing on mine craft (fuck you it's a simple survival game capable of doing quite a lot) and the screen tearing was unbearable after like 10 minutes of playing.

Which manager should I use and are there any extra steps besides installing it to stop screen tearing?
>>
>>51839643

this aint debian. no softblocks here. and whats a quick hdparm udev rule after coming this far?
>>
>>51838797
Watch your partitioning, plan it beforehand. The wiki assumes you are an expert, the wiki assumes a lot of things. Make sure you know what to do get drivers for your WiFi and or ethernet before installing
>>
>>51839681
I cant speak for Nvidia but enabling Vsync in my xorg.conf solved the problem for me

I would also suggest compton and testing a few of the sample configurations on the wiki
>>
>>51839640
>>51839640
fuck sake, im using UK keymaps and forgot to copy them over
>>
>>51839704
Vsync is in xorg? Fuck me I was looking in nvidia-settings for it. Even limited mine craft fps to 60 in game.

Thanks buddy.
>>
>>51839683
for whatever reason my arch install wont ever let me access my wirless drivers unless i rfkill disable all

works without rfkill on void/centOS so i really dont know what the issue is
>>
>>51839726
I believe its in xorg.conf.d/ or somewhere like that yeah.

The file that starts with a number corresponding to your driver (10-intel-something something for me, too lazy to check)
>>
>>51839716
god damn it all the keys for ~@ etc are mapped in a weird way, m going to have to cofront an image
>>
>>51839749
consult* i cant actually find the tilda symbol on a yank keyboard
>>
>>51838797
Keep in mind: Just because your life system has wifi working, your install system does not necessarily. Install dialog and wpa-supplicant before booting into your installed system so you at least have wifi-menu working.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.