[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> There are people using /g/ RIGHT NOW who are too stupid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: danktux.png (30 KB, 602x500) Image search: [Google]
danktux.png
30 KB, 602x500
> There are people using /g/ RIGHT NOW who are too stupid to install Ubuntu properly

You dare call yourselves Gentoomen when you can't even handle Babby's First Gahnoo/Looniks?
>>
Anyhoo yahoo can install an OS. Its not hard.
>>
>>51830681
>installing amazon spyware
ill just stick with my debian thanks.
>>
>>51830697
> complaining about something that is both easily disabled and not present in any non-Unity version of Ubuntu
>>
>>51830944
To be fair, Ubuntu is just a modified Debian Testing. Might as well get the milk straight from the tit.

I've found from experience that Debian is a hell of a lot more stable than Ubantoo. Shuttlecock doesn't really care as long as he can get those sweet shekels.
>>
Anyone else remember when Team Fortress 2 offered free items for Linux users or something similar?

All those /v/irgins coming here and complaining that they overwrote their Windows partition, begging for help recovering their homework or whatever. It was glorious.
>>
>>51830681
dumb frogposter
>>
>>51831270
Well, technically you're wrong.
Ubu uses its own repos, and is extremely independent of the Debian testing branch.
And he'll yeah Debian is more stable. I put that shit on everything.
>>
>>51830681
>properly
Tell me genius. How do you qualify properly. Just cause the screen goes on doesn't mean shit
>>
>>51830681
>Babby's
Baby's
>>
>>51831560
>being this new
>>
>>51831504
1) No spyware.
2) If you lose laptop, no data is leaked, because it's encrypted.
>>
> assumption
> statement, question mark
> ???
> Profit
>>
>>51830681
I just don't want my shit to get fucked up by Amazon Prime Spyware™.
>>
>>51831451
>is more stable
with packages from 3 years ago!
>>
>>51830681
i failed to install arch linux because it was designed by retards. but i did manage to install ubuntu minimal through cli only and get a working xfce DE running with minimal packages.

come at me senpai desu
>>
>>51831451
and is the creation of the NSA
>>
>>51832395
Testing is essentially unstable (debian rolling), but with a two week 'does it fuck anything up' delay.

>>51831451
It's its own repos, but from what I remember it uses (or used to use) Debian testing packages for many things.
>>
>>51832240
those are common to all but 90% of distros.

Anyone who enabled non-free repositories runs this risk of spyware.

Most distros don't have encryption as a default and ubuntu does have the option in the magic setup util
>>
>Using linux on anything other than small arm devices such as NAS, RasPi etc.
get out.
>>
>>51831504
Getting the system up and running with any extra drivers and firmware you may need, installing a power manager if you're using a laptop, using the package manager instead of downloading binaries from random Web sites like a Windows pleb... You know, everything that the anons starting all the "I can't Ubuntu, why install not work" threads will never figure out.
>>
>>51830681
I can't even install the fedora usb creator os xUbuntu. Why no .deb package.
>>
>>51833030
So NASA, BANKS, And the Mexican guy who wasters your garden everyday should get out.

Hmm maybe smart people are not as smart as you when it comes to using an OS that will not break (CentOS/Redhat) until the hardware dies.

Without linux on real servers, your bank with be running windows and be quite often down.
>>
>>51833266
Why can't you just use UNetBootIn?
>>
>>51833293
Fedora is special. It is the only distro that is not guaranteed to work with anything other then what fedora made. I think it has something to do with formatting and executing when loading the image to a usb.

Unetbootin always failed on fedora for me. I have also tried Unetbootin and rufus
>>
File: i-just-dont-know-anymore.png (36 KB, 872x625) Image search: [Google]
i-just-dont-know-anymore.png
36 KB, 872x625
>install Debian as first distro
>get ass kicked for over a week and make a thread bitching about it yesterday
>learn one or two new things a day
>feels incredibly satisfying when I resolve or solve something

Man, I just don't know. Just found out how to (sort of) edit my sources list in nano. I attempt to read the wiki and my eyes just melt. I managed to install Audacious and get flash, that's about all I've done in over a week of exclusively using Debian.
>>
>>51833288
are you NASA or BANKS? then why are you using linux?
>>
>>51833324
Use the Linux Live USB Creator. Just google it.
>>
>>51831270
>Ubuntu is just a modified Debian Testing
>I've found from experience that Debian is a hell of a lot more stable than Ubantoo

I still remember when I tried to install debian testing kde, everything went to shit after the FIRST update

Used it fine with xfce though, it was relatively stable
>>
>>51830681
>ubuntu
>proper
no
>>
>>51833596
P.S.: Then I found out it's because kde 4 packages are in the process of being changed by kde 5 packages and can lead to instability
>>
>>51830681
desu ubuntu can be quite hard to install on some systems because that shit is broken as fuck (or at least it used to be, dunno about the last few versions)
>>
>>51833596
>>51833616
Yeah. KDE4>KDE5 was a mess.
I went through it on one of my machines.
>>
File: hdb.png (99 KB, 302x302) Image search: [Google]
hdb.png
99 KB, 302x302
>>51830681
I bet you haven't installed gentoo.
>>
>>51835396
But I have, anon. See the Thinkpad screen in the corner of the video? It's installing Gentoo.

https://youtu.be/1dO2H4SGRHk
>>
>tfw Stallman falls into that category
>>
>>51835288
I still deal with a lot of the aftermath from that.
I don't understand why the kde team wanted to rename their DE, make a ugly theme to be default and hide/remove as many accelerators as possible and call it a day.
>>
>>51836562
I know that feel.
KDE4 was literally perfect, then they had to throw it away.

I'm on GNOME until I can switch back, is it close to it's former stability?
>>
File: 1436033331460.jpg (18 KB, 300x265) Image search: [Google]
1436033331460.jpg
18 KB, 300x265
>>51833349
I take it that you had some problems concentrating on source material provided at school? Anyway, keep up on it, ask irc/mailing lists for help, and you'll get there anon.
>>
>>51832520
>and is the creation of the NSA
>Nobody's found a backdoor
>They still log every download of TAILS
>There isn't even a shred of proof that NSA created Debian
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.