[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
uBlockOrigin AdBlockPlus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 10
File: uBlockOrigin_AdBlockPlus.png (35 KB, 512x256) Image search: [Google]
uBlockOrigin_AdBlockPlus.png
35 KB, 512x256
So, I just created a fresh Firefox profile, I've done all my settings, imported bookmarks and what not, except for extensions - currently I rely only on my hosts file to block ads and other crap. Before I pull the trigger, should I install uBlock Origin instead of ABP? Is it really blocking ads, not just hiding them? I don't want NSA to see me through the webcam while furiously masturbating to Riley Reid.
>>
>>51830367
uBlock is objectively better
>>
can you have them both? or will that create a cluster fuck? im willing to try ublock since abp has been failing lately on FF
>>
uBlock is better, faster, and has more customization
>>
>>51830367

theyre both spyware
>>
>>51830410
Theoretically yes. But would just slow the browser down for no reason. I want uB because I know it's smarter when it comes to duplicate filters.
>>
>Blocking ads vs Hiding them

I wonder?
>>
>>51830367
> I don't want NSA to see me through the webcam while furiously masturbating to Riley Reid.

Then tape over your webcam. There is evidence they have access to your hardware through the motherboard no matter what you install or not
>>
>>51830659
I have it disabled in device manager and the webcam also has an led.
>>
>>51830692
That doesn't matter
>>
>>51830651
yeah this obviously go with ublock origin OP
>>
Funny enough, I was in the same situation earlier today.
I've always used AdBlock because I didn't know of alternatives.
Saw uBlock in the list and remembered it being shilled on /g/.
Gave it a try, no fuss yet.
>>
>>51832339
Yeah, already installed, using Fanboy's Ultimate list. Things seem ok so far.
>>
File: 2006_quarter_proof.png (953 KB, 1106x1089) Image search: [Google]
2006_quarter_proof.png
953 KB, 1106x1089
>>51830438
>>
>falling for the uBlock meme
>>
I recently switched to seamonkey and installed ublock instead of abp. seems to work fine.
>>
>>51832442
>falling for the ABP shill

But seriously, at this point there's not even a fucking question anymore which blocker is best.
Look at UBO and watch it being prepared against the newest questionable ad industry methods.
It even supports popunders now.
>>
>>51830367
In practice you probably won't notice a difference. uBlock is more ethical.
>>
>>51833213
You are absolutely wrong. ABP is more ethical. Ads should exist in order to sustain a lot of services we use for free. ABP allows non-intrusive ads, ublock blocks everything.
>>
>>51833213
>popunders
this. they are so fucking annoying.

>>51833650
aww :(
>>
Recently I've switched to using an ad-blocking proxy. Much better IMO, you can remove ads before they even get to your browser, including inlined stuff.
>>
>>51833857
How do you do this?
>>
the other day i accidentally learned that i could ditch requestpolice/policeman and get somewhat the same functionality with far better performance using ublock advanced mode
>tfw that was the highlight of that day for me
>>
>>51835324
>ublock advanced mode
what

umatrix
>>
I see way more ads with uBlock, am I being retarded? Is there something I should be doing? I havent really messed with the settings.
>>
>>51833650
Except that I don't use the Internet for fucking free; I have to pay the goddamn Internet company. Furthermore, allowing "nonintrusive" ads just because I happen to use the Internet is purposefully going out of my way for someone else's benefit. Fuck that.
>>
>>51830410
If you want to double-team those ads, just use a hosts file along with ublock origin. Or just use umatrix and blacklist the whole interbutts.
>>
>>51836078
You pay for your internet.
The server has to pay for their internet.
They provide a free service in exchange for you seeing ads.
It's not hard to follow.
>>
>>51836357
well maybe it's time to change business model then
>>
>>51836357
>free
>in exchange
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

>put a poster on a wall
>force everyone who looks at it to browse ads at gunpoint
>"b-b-but I had to pay the wall's owner to put that poster up"
Tough luck. You can't provide a free service without signing a contract and then demand other people to do something. That's called fraud and is illegal nowadays.
>>
>>51836729
>one day posters gone
>nothing good on wall now
>>
>>51830659
Show me the raw packets of the data being transferred to 3rd party servers and I will believe you. Until then, go buy more tinfoil.
>>
>>51835634
Use uBlock Origin. Otherwise update your filters.
>>
>>51836924
there will always be something on the wall

stop deluding yourself
>>
File: tellsmefaggot.jpg (94 KB, 837x448) Image search: [Google]
tellsmefaggot.jpg
94 KB, 837x448
>>51833650
>ABP
>extorting literally millions of dollars from ad companies so that they get inserted into "acceptable ads" list
>"acceptable ads" have to comply with community standards... except when the advertisers pay, then aggressive ads are suddenly ok
>"more ethical"
I kek at you.
>>
>>51836561
Enjoy your paywalls, faggot
>>
>>51830367

Adblock Plus supports some ad companies. I think the choice should be clear now.
>>
>>51838001
Advertisers deserve to get jewed.
>>
>>51835634
Update filters, enable Fanboy's Ultimate list in filterlist.
>>
>>51838105
So uBlock O. I should be the one who decides what I support and what I don't. The ads business model should change. I don't mind the ads but I hate the tracking involved in those. Ads that are delivered from the local server would be a lot better, unfortunately is a very rare model these days. Not to mention this new trend when you click on a page it redirects you somewhere else and opens a new tab with your actual page. Twice the traffic (,time and resources) for your page + the ad page. Screw people who do this, they don't deserve whitelisting.
>>
File: 1436488339900.gif (2 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
1436488339900.gif
2 MB, 580x433
>>51833650
Quit whining and get a real job. Nobody likes you.
>>
>>51830383
Why is that?
>>
>>51830692
>he doesn't know how to turn his webcam on without turning the led on
>>
>he fell for muh block ads is wrong meme
>>
>>51838703
lower resource usage, actually prevents the ads from loading, instead of loading and hiding them like abp. doesn't take money from ad companies.
>>
File: 1449100735932.png (474 KB, 638x585) Image search: [Google]
1449100735932.png
474 KB, 638x585
Some anon from a thread a few weeks ago claimed that UBlockOrigin doesn't actually disable/cease ads completely and just hides them from from showing in the browser or something, So you still get pinged for data usage.

Is this true or was he just memeing everyone?
>>
>>51838767
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Does-uBlock-block-ads-or-just-hide-them%3F

absolute not true
>>
>>51833650
ads can go and fuck themselves in the ass
i dont want to see them, im not buying there shit, stop creating your trash content if you like, thanks
>>
>>51838767
Just memeing. It's really easy to test even if you're a casual user.
1. Open a page with ublock origin disabled, see in activity monitor or whatever how much data was transferred or how long it took to load the page.
2. Clear cache, load the same page with ublock origin enabled this time.
3. Compare the results.
>>
>>51838713
Aren't both getting power at the same time?

>>51838725
>block ads is wrong
What? Nobody said that. Literally.
>>
>>51838850
this post is essentially making that argument
>>51833650
>>
>>51830367

am i the only one using adguard? it works so much better than UO and ABP and all the other crap
>>
>>51838866
>am i the only one using adguard?

hopefully, because i seriously hope no one else is dumb enough to use a proprietary payware ad blocker, you fucking retard.
>>
Which filters other than the defaults do you guys use on Ublock?
>>
>>51838772
>>51838832
Thanks anons
>>
>>51838865
But he's an idiot so it doesn't count.

>>51838866
>adguard
You're better off with no ad blocker. Just use hosts file with no ad blocking extension if you're this retarded
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
>>
>>51838917
i check every box except experimental and the regions/languages section, and then i add the adguard filters just because i can.
>>
>nsa doesnt want to watch you jack off to loli
>>
>>51833650
>ublock blocks everything.

And that's why it's better.

Shove your ads up your ass and then kill yourself. Ads are always cancer.
>>
File: 1282022173744.jpg (23 KB, 389x302) Image search: [Google]
1282022173744.jpg
23 KB, 389x302
>>51839279
>yfw when the nsa actually wants to
>>
>>51838917
in the language specific ones i only check chinese, russian and israeli.

above that i usually tic every option.
>>
>>51837333
Something, yes. But not something good. Luckily for us, most people still view ads even if we don't.
>>
>>51833650
>ABP allows non-intrusive ads, ublock blocks everything.
This is all I needed to hear.

>Ads should exist
'no'
>>
>>51838929
It's funny though, one user, without substantial evidence, spreading FUD - and people on /g/ falling for it
>>
Open about:config

Add a new integer setting:
internals.tracking.nsa = false
>>
File: 1449603071042.gif (89 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1449603071042.gif
89 KB, 256x256
>>51840495
thanks anon
>>
>>51833650
Thank you for supporting uBo.
>>
>>51835594
umatrix vs noscript? I'm using noscript still.
>>
>>51840495
>new integer setting
>integer
heh
>>
If you want to block ads, go with uBlock, ABP is getting paid by ad companies to bypass their filters. I don't give a flying fuck about the debate behind the ethics of blocking ads, I just want them blocked.
>>
>>51840605
I wouldn't trust noscript, a while back they released a version which contained obfuscated code to disable parts of adblock (this was when adblock was still good) for their own financial gain:

https://adblockplus.org/blog/attention-noscript-users
>>
Stop listening to AdBlock / uBlock shills and just block ads by editing your HOSTS file. It works just as well and doesn't eat up your computer's resources like extensions do.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts2.htm

>But won't that place "Page cannot be displayed" frames everywhere?

Not on Firefox, or any other half-way decent browser that's been updated within the last decade.

I jumped ship a long time ago and decided to block ads this way instead of wasting time managing extensions. No issues so far.

You nonetheless want to install NoScript or some variation of. This will help you block popups and other intrusive and potentially malicious elements.
>>
>>51841045
Well, as I said, I also use hosts file to block ads (exactly that one, mvps), But another layer of protection can't damage anything.
>>
>>51833650
>ABP allows non-intrusive ads

Non-intrusive meaning paying ABP ransom? It's not a secret they let anyone through if they pay enough, they don't even say what guidelines they use for "non-intrusive" or how that is decided
>>
>>51841092

You don't *need* another layer of protection. It's a complete waste of resources. The extension is going to eat up CPU cycles to re-render every page you load, regardless or whether or not you've already blocked the page's ads through your HOSTS file. The methods of blocking are completely different. Where your HOSTS file denied incoming connections entirely, ad-blocking extensions have to re-render pages to remove all frames and page elements that correspond to ads. HOSTS blocking leaves the page structure alone, so an ad-blocking extension still wastes resources so it can swoop in and replace those elements even though their corresponding ads are never permitted to establish a connection with your computer in the first place.
>>
>>51841258
There are still annoyances that I want to block, such as cookies notifications and "download a fast browser - chrome" nonsense, sharing widgets, etc...
>>
>>51830367
Neither.
Use NoScript.
>>
>riley reid
Nice shit taste, op
>>
>>51841372
I want websites to still work. I use Disqus.
>>
>>51841415
faggot
>>
>>51841418
If you can't get websites to work with NoScript, you're retarded.
>>
>>51841429
>faggot
... is what you would call someone who masturbates to Riley Reid.
>>
>>51841715
Yes, because I want to waste my time in trying to make a website work properly..

>>51841730
No, I'm calling you a faggot :^)
>>
>>51841837
>waste my time
It takes less than 30 seconds usually.
>>
uBlock Origin is hiding ads after loading them Proof is in archives.
>>
>>51841933
In 30 seconds I read the article, post the comment then leave the page. I'm not going to spend that much time to fix the god damned page.
>>
>>51841715
I can get most of them working. The ones that I can't I could except they insist on using 10 different script sources to make their website function at even a base level which is disgusting and I have no interest in loading them. Generally 'news' sites.
>>
another question on a sidenote,

why does firefox feel drastically superior to chrome in just 2 iterations?
i mean, i tried firefox 40. it felt like shit. i tried 41, it still felt like shit. now i use 42 for about a week and it's running much more stable and subjectively smoother/faster than chrome ever did to me in the recent years

WHAT IS THIS
>>
>>51841955
Stop spreading your bullshit please. Why would you even WANT to shill for ABP.
>>
File: AdblockPlusisbetter.png (1 MB, 1149x2224) Image search: [Google]
AdblockPlusisbetter.png
1 MB, 1149x2224
>>51842068
Because uHide is already abandoned meme.
>>
>>51842085
If you're gonna try and spread FUD you really shouldn't make it such an obvious shill at the same time.
>>
>>51842060
In 42 they removed a lot of GPUs from the blacklist.
>>
>>51842122
what exactly does this mean anon?
>>
>>51842101
>shilling for open-source software
Try harder.
>>
>>51830367
For its Chromium counterpart, should I also use uBlock Origin? I thought this problem was only with the Firefox extension.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm
>>
>>51842134
>open-source means not for profit
Oh ok anon.
>>
File: ublocklist.png (18 KB, 282x186) Image search: [Google]
ublocklist.png
18 KB, 282x186
if you are using the one on the bottom, then all you are doing is HIDING ads.

ublock origin IS NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY THE OFFICIAL UBLOCK DEVELOPMENT TEAM

it is merely ONE person's personal fork, it does not BLOCK ads like UBLOCK. ublock origin HIDES ads

do not fall for the shills, download the only OFFICIAL ublock today at www.ublock.org
>>
>>51842131
Fx has a blacklist for certain incompatible GPUs (mostly software/driver related issues, most NVIDIA GPUs if not all were blacklisted from having full GPU acceleration for each layer). Maybe AMD too, I'm not sure, you'll also see if you search for gfx. in about:config there are a few AMD-related flags which are not supported on NVIDIA/Intel.
>>
>>51842192
i happen to own a r9 290

thanks for hinting me this anon, i'll check out the changelog

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/42.0/releasenotes/
>>
>>51842169
Ublock or ublockO?
>>
>>51842169
Thanks anon.
>>
>>51842244
uBlock Origin is by Raymond Hill, and is the one you should use. For Firefox it is currently at v1.4.0. The non-origin is by a retarded kid who put a donations button in the extension and it has not been updated since July.
>>
>>51842169
Woah and I almost fell for the Origin meme.
>>
>>51838767
uBlock Origin supports element hiding, which is probably where that meme came from. Network filtering, which is the default functionality, fully blocks the offending content from loading. Hiding, obviously, just loads and hides content, which is useful for removing things which are intrusive but set up in such a way that a network filter would block desired content as well (images hosted on the same domain, for instance).

I do believe the default uBlock Origin filter subscriptions include the version of Easylist with element hiding rules, so if unconfigured it is loading and hiding some content. It's really easy to change that, though.
>>
File: Untitled.png (21 KB, 1366x650) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
21 KB, 1366x650
> Hi there!
> I’m Chris. I care about design, interaction, and user experience. I develop Purify and uBlock and write tidbits at Readable Thoughts.

>I develop Purify and uBlock
>I develop uBlock
>I
>develop
>uBlock

>uBlock

fucking scum of the earth!
>>
>>51842169
This would be funny if you weren't indirectly shilling for a corrupt developer. Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>51842427
I didn't know that you could say you developed something when all you do is offer a half-maintained fork.

I should update my resume and list everything I've ever forked on github. And then add a "Please give me a raise" button to the bottom.
>>
>>51842601
Well he said "develop" not developed. Which is also false but less false.
>>
>>51842597
>haha so funny that people are getting tricked to use ad hider xDD
>>
>>51842085
>>51842169
Could you make it any more obvious?
>>
>>51842642
It is required to make it obvious that uBlock is a scam.
Or are you gorshill?
>>
>>51842666
get out of here, Satan
>>
Reminder:
/(?=.*?block)(?=.*?hide).*/i;boards:g;stub:no
/uhide/i;boards:g;stub:no
>>
>>51842666
SATAN HAS SPOKEN
FUCK OFF GORSHILLS
>>
>>51842723
uBlock hídes the ads after loading them.
>>
>>51830367
ABP just weeks. Ublock might be lighter, though. I use ublock at work and ABP at home.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.