[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ do for its living room game/media machines? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: lianli.png (365 KB, 1222x562) Image search: [Google]
lianli.png
365 KB, 1222x562
What does /g/ do for its living room game/media machines?

I've been looking at steam machines lately and their slim form factor is appealing for living room use (plus they're windows-free), but all prebuilt steam machines are pretty much ripoffs in terms of the hardware you get, so I've been looking at building a steam machine of my own.

Only problem is that slim settop/console-like boxes are a real minority in the case market. Are there are any cases that look good sitting next to a bunch of sleek home theater electronics, yet can comfortably house a decent CPU + GPU (at least GTX 970/R380)?

Furthermore, what's the viability of designing + manufacturing a slim settop-like case that's designed to house the graphics card via a right-angle riser, so the card lays flat? Would that totally fuck cooling or could it be workable?
>>
There are literally shitloads of sff htpc cases on the market.
>>
>>51829779
But most aren't designed to work with graphics cards that aren't weak low-profile junk, and an increasing number of made for NUC boards e.g. no discrete graphics at all
>>
>>51829748

For my room. I literally just connect my laptop to monitor. And play my file.
>>
>>51829830

Sometimes I'll add a file to flash storage and play on ps3, but I've never got into HTPC or any of that, don't see a reason to.
>>
Interested..

What would be best for 100% just media, using a wifi remote, maybe dvr/rip function, and streaming using Windows 10 or Steam?

I already have a dedicated gaming setup, i7 4790k & 970(to be updated whenever good games ever get made again..).

I figure a media pc really just needs a good CPU? Especially if any gaming will be streamed.. Or am I wrong here?
>>
>>51829894
>>I figure a media pc really just needs a good CPU? Especially if any gaming will be streamed.. Or am I wrong here?
Depends on how far you want to take your quest for quality, but if you tweak up your mpv/madvr settings a good graphics card can be a great boon.

If you're fine with stock Plex/XBMC playback any integrated graphics more powerful than Intel HD3000 will work a charm. In that case you'd probably do well with a NUC or some kind of AMD board with an embedded CPU.
>>
File: 1449926610262.jpg (216 KB, 1013x755) Image search: [Google]
1449926610262.jpg
216 KB, 1013x755
>>
File: 1449926791402.jpg (99 KB, 633x469) Image search: [Google]
1449926791402.jpg
99 KB, 633x469
old dvd player case
>>
>>51829929
Eh not toooo far. I mean, as long at it shows 1080p properly and wont lag..?

My concern is with ensuring any game streaming is not poor due to poor component choices in the media pc
>>
>>51830046
Yeah the two big bottlenecks there would be network (wire it all up for best results) and CPU.
>>
>>51830439
Gotcha, cool, and I doubt a dedicated network card would matter..
>>
>plus they're windows free

yeah because you don't need fucking directx or anything
>>
>>51830918
If you're shooting for 60FPS 1080p, no you really don't. OpenGL can deliver that just fine with any reasonably well-written game.
>>
>>51831477
>reasonably well-written game.
going to have a hard time finding those anon
>>
>>51831632
Funny enough games by smaller to mid sized studios seem to be written better than those of mega-monoliths (see Frictional for instance, which is tiny and uses an in-house engine). It's definitely not impossible.
>>
File: 61vryeh6CqL._SL1500_.jpg (75 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
61vryeh6CqL._SL1500_.jpg
75 KB, 1500x1500
silverstone ftz01
>>
>>51829748
NAS
Chromecast
VLC 3.0beta or Videostream extension
>>
>>51831869
That actually looks like it fits the bill nicely. Thanks anon.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.