[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to switch to Linux. I once more want increased control
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1447005781985.jpg (567 KB, 708x826) Image search: [Google]
1447005781985.jpg
567 KB, 708x826
I need to switch to Linux. I once more want increased control over my system again. I just received a Windows 10 update on my T420, and while I was enjoying it before, it totally messed up the drivers and settings really leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. I know that it's important to stick to the Gentoo Wiki and I'm open to learning, but in my experience when I did run Linux distributions like Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu I still noticed quite a bit of instability and even the system refusing to boot while I was just trying to get the same everyday tasks done as I would've on Windows. (Mainly browsing, watching movies on the big screen with a DisplayPort adapter, music or text editing.)

Are there any stable, up-to-date distros out there that I'm missing and don't really take that long to set up? I'd still like to be able to customize things to my liking though.

/g/ is not my personal blog... ):
>>
File: 1447304167713.jpg (40 KB, 415x546) Image search: [Google]
1447304167713.jpg
40 KB, 415x546
>>51829219
>I once more
>again
Kinda high right now, sorry guys.
>>
Debian
>>
>>51829219
Just use Mint anon. You can expand out to Arch, etc. afterwards from there.
>>
>>51829398
Did try it before but never really took a hard look at it. I'll give it a try soon, cheers!
>>
go for Ubuntu LTS
>>
>>51829544
Nprb. It's a pretty solid OS now anon, you'll get it sorted out quickly enough.

Also, I'd say you should check out the tons of videos on YT about it too. Software setups and such. Good luck.

> t. 2+yr Mint user
>>
>>51829670
Solid advice, are there any particular channels that I should check out? I normally just look for the most relevant results, but sometimes there are some hidden gems in there.
>>
>>51829219
I was using elementaryOS for a while and it mostly worked well, but it felt less configurable than other distros. I'm using Fedora 23 right now and really like it. I didn't have any instability. It should support all of your workflow.

GNOME Shell is weird at first but it grows on you. You can always change to something else if you like.
>>
>>51829802
Sure this one has the highest number of install demos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ambujkumar1988

He doesn't go into much depth by and large, but his videos are short and to the point. And you won't find a bigger repository of different software install videos for Mint anywhere.
>>
>>51830229
Neat. I think I really have a thing for Plasma 5 as long as I'm able to tinker around with it a bit, it seems quite solid.
>>
>>51830236
Thanks Anon, appreciate it.
>>
I think I might switch to OpenSUSE and combine it with Plasma 5, seems pretty comfy for my needs. Just hope that an i5 2520m is gonna be able to handle the occasional Windows application with WINE though.

Battery life still is a concern, even with a 9 cell in there, unfortunately.
>>
>>51829219
i say you have a nvidia gpu
I have one too and you need to boot with
nouvea.modeset=0
until you have installed the gpu drivers
apt-get install nvidia-352
>>
>>51830466
Just an iGPU in this model, HD3000.
>>
>>51830489
google how to boot with modeset=0 and apply the solution for intel cards.
>>
>>51830530
Interesting, wasn't aware that was a thing distro-wide, is it an actual bug in the kernel or just a feature that doesn't happen to work out for a lot of users?
>>
>>51830323
YW. Try a dual-boot setup first. If you're like me, eventually you'll dump Windows forever.

BTW, It's highly likely Mint will work with you're system OOTB. That's one of it's big advantages for beginners--it just werks.

Be patient with you'reself and have fun anon. And welcome to a larger world heh.
>>
File: wallhaven-270260.png (199 KB, 7680x4320) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-270260.png
199 KB, 7680x4320
Tried Manjaro two days ago. Was pretty impressed, pretty stable. And I think that you will love XFCE.
>>
>>51830571
Common broken feature with the nouveau kernel or smth like that.
when i had it and i googled i got results for almost every OS from arch to debian to ubuntu to mint
>>
>>51829219
Honestly anon, I've been using Arch and the latest Windows in dual boot for about 6 years. I've never had any problems.
I think Arch being bad is just a meme, give it a shot.
>>
>>51830724
I liked working with XFCE in the few times that I did use it, does it have a fair bit of customization options?
>>
>>51830751
I actually like the appeal of it, you basically just take what you want and combine it into one package, is it a lengthy setup? I'm honestly really not all that familiar with terminals either, being relatively young I always grew up using GUIs.

>Captcha: Select all the fish
kek.
>>
>>51830803
Just for some clarification: Obviously going through a setup screen with listed instructions in a terminal is piss easy, I just don't want to spend hours having to search all this shit.
>>
>>51830773
it has some customization, but if you really want to make manjaro your bitch you'd probably have to replace manjaros special snowflake kernel
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.